Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
stickstones said:
I'm still playing with technique here to get the big clouds...anybody got some tips?
Practice. That shouldn't be too tough, right? It's not like piano lessons SS. :p

Warming the bowl is actually a great tip, and you've already picked up on that your own damn self, so I think you're doing fine without our help. Another important point, but one that many people have already mentioned, is using dry material. I've bought a keif box (which I really still need to review for you guys...baaaaaah) and letting my bud sit in there for a few days lets just enough air circulate around it to make breaking up and then vaping extra easy. But yeah...one way or another, dry material is a must with this vape. My practice is use keif box to dry buds (I only put a few days/one weeks worth of material in the box at one time, keeping the rest in mason jars in the refrigerator), then when the buds are dry enough to break up easily by hand (still having grinder issues over here, my personal opinions at this moment equals Mendo Mulchers suck ass. Controversial statement maybe, but remember it's my opinion only) I bust those to a nice fine, even consistency...not too fine or you inhale too much particulate matter, but fine enough that it would make a smooooth burning joint... I then also use the staw/suck method to pack, tamp the top one or twice with my finger, then I place the tip in the PD and let the SS bowl gather some heat from the SS cap...then it's hit city! I start small, and end big.

stickstones said:
I DEFINITELY pack this thing light using the straw method. I packed a tight bowl the other day and got a lot more than my usual two good hits...but I still like to pack it light.
This is another great tip...the point with this bowl is fresh bowls, right? Well, one point at least. So pack em light! Not only does it help maintain ideal airflow, it keeps your hits fresh and fuck, you can always pack another. :D Sticks dude I don't think you need our help man haha you're definitely on the right track! Remember this vape is really in the THC off-gassing range...so more trichs equals more vapor here...mids (what I usually get, and you too I believe) gives off much less vapor than high quality. I mean MUCH less vapor...so that may be a factor to consider, as well.

BTW Sticks, I've given Bob Marley and the Wailers (and all the other Marley incarnations...) another shot over the last couple of months, after a comment made by vtac somewhere on these boards...I've GOT to say...I am among the converted! Off-topic I know, but what the hell.

partially veiled,

CapnVape

stickstones said:
I'm still playing with technique here to get the big clouds...anybody got some tips?
For me, I find 4 factors contribute to the "perfect" PD hit giving you that big satisfying cloud of vapor your looking for.

1.Potency: The PD really emphasizes the idea of "good in, good out"

2.Moisture: DRY, DRY, DRY

3.Bowl pack: I find anything more than a medium packed bowl too much

4.Draw speed: slow and steady wins the race

Of course, this is just my :2c:, you may disagree. Vaping can be such a personal experience, especially with the PD

CapnVape,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
CapnVape said:
Vaping can be such a personal experience, especially with the PD
Very true. It's different person to person, session to session, stash to stash... Yet, as far as I'm concerned, you nailed it for this vape with these 4 simple points. Way to go Cap'n Vape. If every responsible adult who chose to do so could own a PD, grow their own medicine and take care of their own needs, man...we'll there goes the Pharmaceutical game (for the most part). This vaporizer is the essence of SIMPLE...and the only thing that's really going to vary person to person is herb quality and draw speed...most do seem to agree that slow and steady works best, however...and who has ever been known to argue with high grade :ko:?? So this is simple shit.

Hey Cap'n Vape, ever heard of Cap'n Jazz..? :ninja:

partially veiled,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Just an observation... I had a few PD bowls tonight, but I haven't had any stuff in my keif box (I haven't really been vaping/using much at all in the last little while), so I had to find a way to dry out herb from the jar on the quick. Canadian winters usually mean I must reluctantly turn on my radiators (ahem...once again...miserly), and because it's cold morning, noon and night, I usually just leave them on constantly on the same, low temperature. Most of the year I don't heat the house...but this low, constant heat (5-10 on my gauge...YMMV) actually makes for a good drying board of sorts.

I don't put the buds directly on the radiator, obviously :lol: but I have a great candle plate type thing which happens to be perfect for busting on. It's square, has a flat, smooth inside area that is bordered by a higher ridge; the plate is made of a glossy ceramic, which doesn't seem to collect much residue from the green. It's meant to hold in the runoff wax from a burning candle, but also meant to "let go" of the wax easily...it basically just looks like any really polished ceramic plate, though...only it's pretty thick. Of course it collects some resin, just like glass collects some, but it is pretty sweet. I'd assume any high polish ceramic plate would do...this happens to have a thick bottom as well, so it makes a good plate for putting on the radiator. If you were using a normal plate then maybe double up or something, or turn down your radiator if it feels too hot; just use your judgement.

So yeah, I basically just broke the material up roughly by hand, spread it out on this plate and put the plate on one of my baseboard radiators. I let that sit for I dunno 5 or ten minutes, I just kept checking it and moving it around until it felt nice and dry. I busted the stuff easily with my fingers after that. It didn't break down into a powder from being too dry, but broke into a really nice, even pile. I did have to rub well to get the resin from my hands...hehe, I've smoked enough of my own skin cells over time that it doesn't really matter anymore. We all know what this is about, vapin' or smokin' it's still damned sticky haha!

It definitely worked, and I'm obviously :ko::ko::ko::ko::ko:

Anyway, just an idea...it works faster than some very low heat ambient source like a TV, but isn't as hot as something like an oven. I will also say that since my tolerance has been dropping some, I am reaaaaally starting to appreciate the PD more every time I do get around to using... I would much rather have a PD habit than basically any other using habit...SSV or pipe smoking or anything else I've tried. When your tolerance is low and the herbs are kind the Purple Days is that little slice...soft city, baby.

partially veiled,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thanks cap'n...good shit.

I am fucked up...PD plus SoCo=me right now.

Oh yeah, veiled...Dude, I know you. I obsess over my writing like you=perfect posts like yours above!

I am fucked up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

stickstones,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Hello All,

First and foremost thanks to all (Vtac, Sticks, PV, PD, CV...) that have contributed their insight into my battery and/or ideal PD usage (cloud density) issues.

I thought I'd add my :2c: after one week with the PD (I've got her working well, have taken her on the road, and have already taken her down the slopes--battery pack worked great except for disappointing moment on the lift when I realized the loose Vapol plug had come out of the jack. allowing the unit to cool :rolleyes: --oh yeah, and when it had to be recharged :( )

My initial light clouds were mostly due to moisture issues
- 1 - I am used to other models in which the herbs don't have to be as dry or ground to a powder to work best because you leave the herbs warming in the chamber before beginning (Extreme, etc.) or where it just doesn't matter (De-verdamper, etc.).
- 2 - I had a group of friends using the unit in rapid succession with the assistance of a water tool
- 3 -I was in a garage that was pretty cold (if the unit was put down at all it was put on a cold table).

Tips for increased cloud density:

-1-Dry herbs well/grind herbs fine

-2-Pack chamber full but loose

-3-Draw Technique:
-My Findings-
--Airflow/heat-distribution is the most important factor
--When the stem is tilted to the side as much as it can, the draw is tighter , but seems to draw more heat. When the stem is in the center it gets slightly more airflow due to air flowing in between the male and female parts. If you pull the stem out of the heat exchanger slightly airflow increases and heat drops even more.
-My Approach (still being developed)-
--Dry herbs well; Grind herbs well; Fill the tip of the stem to the top but not tight (suck or pinch to fill); Press finger up to the stem tip and rotate back and forth to ensure even herb-distribution/airflow; Hold stem upright , turn the PD upside down, and place the female part of the PD heat exchanger over the tip of the stem; Pull the stem to the side to make it tight and rotate twice (using friction to evenly heat the stem tip), Turn PD horizontal, Draw three short draws with a chaser of air between each followed by a long slow draw that continues after the stem is removed. Only do the the draw/chase/draw/chase part if more interested in flavor than volume (I also sometimes move the stem in and out of the the heat exchanger to enhance flavors--it's the most action I have gotten all week :lol: ).

-4-Compensate for cold (I put a can cozy with a zipper oh her to keep her warm on the slopes, cup my hands arountd the top of the unit and the stem to hold heat, etc.--could have helped in the garage...)

-5- If using the PD in 'rapid-fire' and draw becomes light with the cozy on, cover the top of the unit with a hand hand and turn upside down for a few moments to rewarm (only necessary in extreme circumstances).

-6- Using additional tubing/tools changes the power of your suction (tools USUALLY increase power/tubing decreases it more with more length)

Related Thoughts:
- The PD fits nicely into many water/ice chambers and works well as a chillum (the chillum method allows user to use their hand as a billow to add air as desired--great for accentuating flavors and modulating heat)
- Stretching a piece of silicone or chemflour tubing over the tip of the mouthpiece allows for a tighter seal when using a water/ice tool or a chillum-style approach (folding the end if the silicone/chemfluor tubing over itself makes the tip fit nicely into ones hand, a downstem, or ones mouth--also helps for putting tubing over the mouth piece).
- Stretching a small (1/4") ring of the same tubing over the top of the copper cap makes it easier to remove from the unit (use needle nose pliers to help stretch the ring of tubing over the copper cap)
- Keeping the cozy on at all times slightly increases heat insulation and allows the user to control the heat more through draw technique (plus it protects her beautiful 'Cherry' body;) *Thanks again Pammy ;)
- The PD is (hands down) my favorite unit for vaporizing oily concentrates (aside from those dedicated solely to that use). So far my approach is to pre-warm the stem so the oils melt when you add them (feel free to let it melt past the screen-the SS tubing continues well past). Either draw slowly & carefully with the unit level (or at a good angle) while turning the stem :uhoh: or play it safe and suck/pack in some herbs before drawing (after adding the oil).
- If I am using it in an environment in which I don't want others to see it (too many people to share or whatever reason...) I put it in a large plastic cup with a hole cut in the lower side for the plug (in the over-sized cup the straw looks like a wide Slushee drinking straw. The cup gets wider at the top where you can put pre-filled/spent stems--or use the space to tilt the unit instead of only tilting the cup). Also, it still fits in my cup-holder. The lid also fits over top without the stem in place and the cord can be run from the cup directly down your sleeve if necessary (if there were only a better battery pack available :D )

On a funny note (for others :p ), I went to smell the unit in the ski lift (for some reason?), hit a bump and now have a red semi-circle on the tip of my nose :o (only do this if you like to give your friends a story to laugh about :lol: )

Well, I hope that was helpful to some.

Toke care and please safely enjoy the holidays and time spent with those you love (doing what you love).

Peace and Love!

- Progress -

PS: Everything stated above is only my personal insight, which is based upon my experiences and knowledge of topics discussed. Please use these comments (if at all) as 'some dude's' personal insight that may precipitate further investigation by others (please do report back).

Progress,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thanks a lot, progress!

I was laughing thinking of the cord running up your sleeve into a bug gulp cup filled with PD shit! You have definitely come up with some good stuff in a short time.

I will try the upside down thing soon.

stickstones,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Ive been tending to bring my unit with me to friends a lot (it's always a joyous occasion when I bring it over :lol: ), but this requires me to not only take the power adapter with me in the car and then the wall adapter inside, so it's not exactly ultra portable....

Would one of these work? I had one laying around here somewhere but I can't seem to find it.... If I had this, I could just take that thing which is pocket size and the car adapter with me and voila! Not to mention the car adapter cord is a little more 'heavy duty' for transportation.

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=8769&cat=539

a3yszn.jpg

You could probably find one of these at a local Radioshack for 5, 6 bucks.

SpiralArchitect,

Purple-Days

I think you see why it is 12V (needs 1000mA capacity).

Happy Holidays to the Purple-Days Family and contributors and all the other folks who come this way, Merry Christmas to all.

Purple-Days,

CapnVape

Hey Spiral,
I have one of those rated for 1000mA. Tried it out the other night and I didn't notice any change in the PD's operating temp from the AC adapter. It works great for taking your vape to a friends house. Like you said, it saves you from having to bring two adapters. Plus, your car adapter becomes a backup adapter for the house if you get one.

:peace:

CapnVape,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I think you see why it is 12V (needs 1000mA capacity).
Wait, what? So is that a 'no'?

//edit,

Oh nvm, I get it...

Thanks CapnVape... I guess I'll need to double check before getting one that it is rated 1000mA. :)

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Glad you're warming up to it, Progress. I use the exact same method except rotate it 3.25 times. :D Interesting how such a spartan (no temp control) vape can be so personal in the way you hit it.

Hell yes, it rocks for vaping extracts! BHO, isohash, kif, it all works beautifully in that little bowl. You find it works better oil first with herb on top? I've only ever done the opposite.

Vaping on the slopes? I salute you, sir. :tup: Good call on the can cozy, I still want a custom made leather jacket for it. Sometimes I use a napkin wrapped around it with an elastic (just cut a little groove out for the plug) when I don't wanna worry about greasy hands (think chicken wings).

On a funny note (for others ), I went to smell the unit in the ski lift (for some reason?), hit a bump and now have a red semi-circle on the tip of my nose
Awww, she kissed you. :D

Tom said:
Happy Holidays to the Purple-Days Family and contributors and all the other folks who come this way, Merry Christmas to all.
:cheers:
The PD is awesome to have when visiting family. ;)

vtac,

High n Dry

how do i clean the PD heat exchanger i got some herb down there do i just turn it upside down and tap it out?
my fuse went out on my car charger adapter gona get another one tomorrow see if it fixes that other then that this thing is a beast!

High n Dry,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
how do i clean the PD heat exchanger i got some herb down there do i just turn it upside down and tap it out?
Yup, that's what I do. Gentle now. ;)

To clean the inside walls Pammy recommended using a q-tip with some alcohol on it, either gin/bourbon or iso.

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
You can also use an empty tube with short, sharp straw-like suction blasts. Or a vacuum. Tapping works just fine for me, though it's always someone else who blows the weed into the heat exchanger. Drunk noobs. :lol:

Remember, not too wet if you need to use an alcohol soaked swab. Hold it upside down.

;pd;:luv:

vtac,

dr01987

I had a question about using the purple days,, after i scoop or suck the herb into the little tip, i can have it filled till the top right just not pack it in? and when i put it to the actual heat exchanger the instruction says "exhale one or to two draws into the purple days and then s uck it in with deep long slow breath", doesnt that mean when i blow into the tube whiles its in the heat exchanged wouldnt the weed fly out and go into the actual heat exchanged instead of the tube? Am i suppose to not let that happen, the whole time does the herb have to remain inside the tube til the very end?

Another question is how do i clean the 3 tubes i have the purple bottle what do i put in the bottle? Water and cholrine? Or alcohol? ,

THank you guys!. Im still getting a hang of this so i cant say anything of it ....

dr01987,

Purple-Days

High n Dry, just turn it over and tap any debris back out the way it went in...

dr01987 , What we meant was draw a mouthful (a drag) of heated air through the load and exhale into the air, not into the PD. This gets the heated air moving through the stuff and starts the vapor flow.

If you are gonna use quote marks don't re-word it... "An exhaled puff or two will move heated air through the material and start the vapor flow." Maybe I could word it better, but those are the words I use.

Put the material in the tip and give it a little tamp with your finger so none is sticking out and so it stays in place when you insert it in the PD.

ISO alcohol or the cheapest gin, vodka or bourbon will work best to soak the tubes in. Agitation helps loosen any debris.

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
420Downunder said:
I've put my name down for a couple of the exotic wood units and placed another for 2 cherry one's today. I'll be keeping the one I like the look of the best and the other 3 are getting given to friends who can't really afford them (I know $150 doesn't sound much to some of us but some of my friends are on disability or age pensions and $150 is more than a weeks pay to them). They sound ideal for when supplies are limited and it's great to be able to support such a great team as Tom & Pammy who have obviously put allot of thought and care into a great product.
Wow 420! I think you're now Tom and Pam's favorite customer. 4 units at once. :o And we at FC salute your generosity in giving such a useful product to those in need. :bowdown:

max,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Just wanted to wish Tom and Pammy a happy holidays and to thank them for creating a great product and running a business like how a business should be run. It's very inspiring for an entrepreneur like myself who's enthusiasm has been dampened by corporate America.
:peace: on Earth

stonemonkey55,

SHED7

will there ever be a bong adapter for sale??

that would crush the competition in my opinion between the da buddha:2c:

SHED7,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
clear dome is working on making glass stems, if he manages to get the ss and glass mated properly, he could most likely make a pd bowl that is straight on a gong joint

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Beezleb

The DBV and PD are not even in the same category of vapes, only if you look at the cost perhaps but in function they are different.

Considering a PD will run out of fuel before a DBV can if I was considering a vape for bong use. A PD would not be even a consideration. In truth I would probably go with the Vrip or Herborizer for that. My view of the PD and Bongs is your asking alot of the little pd and it would probably leave a true bong user wanting.

Then again, when I do a bong, I want it to leave an impression hehe and while the pd could probably handle a bong that very fact knowing of the limitation of the bowl stem would leave most people I know who enjoy bongs wanting and possibly frustrated.

If you have a DBV then you know all those vids of the PD smoke/vapor is nothing special. Good certainly and im not taking anything away but that it hardly stands out in comparison to what any other main stream vape can do.

For a great price for a high quality whip vape, the DBV is a first rate choice but then again so is its more expensive and cooling looking brother the SSV and its true competitor the vapor warez 3g/4g.

Dang it, now I want to do a bong hehe.

Happy Holidays and just my :2c:

Beezleb,

Purple-Days

I agree totaly Beezleb, it was never designed to do anything like that. The VRIP sounds like the ultimate bong machine to me. :2c:

Purple-Days,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Hello PD and B,

I have to respectfully and totally disagree ("I agree totaly Beezleb, it was never designed to do anything like that..."). Well, not totally disagree (the VHW looks sick--especially for those who like to use large and powerful tools :o ). On the other hand, I have already used the PD with a 3' Roor, a HOPS inline, etc. (the mouth piece fits into the down stem/tubing helps/etc.--no time now, but it is covered in a previous 'Progress' post). With potent and aromatic herbs the 3' filled fine with the PD (oils, etc. may even require larger chambers or repeated draws).

Hope this helps ;)

PS: Everything stated above is only my personal insight, which is based upon my experiences and knowledge of topics discussed. Please use these comments (if at all) as some dude's personal insight that may precipitate further investigation by others (please report back).

Progress,
Top Bottom