Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
The PD definitely works fine if you hook it up to some sort of water filtration, I think I had posted some pictures a few pages back were I was able to hook up my PD to a hand held bubbler. What I think PD and Beezleb are referring to is the feeling of pulling on a waterpipe wouldn't be mimicked with the PD since the air flow is quite restricted. It actually all comes down to a matter of preference. The PD does a good job of mimicking the drag that you would experience with a tightly rolled joint or cigarette, whereas something like the VRIP allows free air flow, just like when you hit a bong. I got buddies that prefer the restricted airflow because it creates denser vapor clouds, while others argue that they like the free flowing feel of the VRIP set up. I think vaporizers have come far enough where it's no longer a matter of what is safe and what isn't but more of trying to match your smoking style to the right vape.

stonemonkey55,

max

Out to lunch
progress said:
Hello PD and B,

I have to respectfully and totally disagree ("I agree totaly Beezleb, it was never designed to do anything like that..."). Well, not totally disagree (the VHW looks sick--especially for those who like to use powerful tools ). On the other hand, I have already used the PD with a 3' Roor, a HOPS inline, etc. (the mouth piece fits into the down stem/tubing helps/etc.--no time now, but it is covered in a previous 'Progress' post). With potent and aromatic herbs the 3' filled fine with the PD (oils, etc. may even require larger chambers or repeated draws).

Hope this helps

PS: Everything stated above is only my personal insight, which is based upon my experiences and knowledge of topics discussed. Please use these comments (if at all) as some dude's personal insight that may precipitate further investigation by others (please report back).
That's what we're all about here-experimentation/ pushing the envelope. :tup: As long as no one complains that the PD doesn't compete as a bong vape. ;)

max,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
the feeling of pulling on a waterpipe wouldn't be mimicked with the PD since the air flow is quite restricted
true. I meant action-wise (also, I like a tight draw/slow, thick fill either way)
whereas something like the VRIP allows free air flow
Have you had a chance to compare the VHW draw to the Verdamper (looks/sounds great!)?
That's what we're all about here-experimentation/ pushing the envelope.
Thanks Max!

Peazout!

Progress,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Hello all,

Today I was using my PD and I was holding the stem up to the the heat exchanger, but not even putting it in. This still worked pretty well, and made me wonder if a device could be created to have hot air on demand (maybe somehow like the PD) allowing it to be used with any pipe/water-pipe/etc by smashing the tip of the unit into parts of the bowl that don't appear to be finished and drawing hot air out of it past them.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Everything stated above is only my personal insight, which is based upon my experiences and knowledge of topics discussed. Please use these comments (if at all) as some dude's personal insight that may precipitate further investigation by others (please report back).

Progress,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
What is the longest anyone let's their tube sit in the heat exchanger?

I've kinda been leaving my stems in their for 5-10 minutes, just casually 'drinking' from it as the time passes. When I am gaming I'll put my tubing at the end to make it 'hands-free'.

Is this a bad idea (letting it sit for extended periods of time)? The stem gets pretty hot, but it's all safe, right?

SpiralArchitect,

vibes1952

To Progress

I haven't been on the board lately, I just logged in and read your post (pasted a portion below).

It had me laughing real good. :lol::lol::lol:
(I got to try that cup thing some time, the trick is the battery pack) :lol::lol::lol:
(Of course I wouldn't drive and vape but it sure would work where the car adapter
is being used) I'd think you'd want some kind of stealth in any situation like that).:ninja:

Cup or Koshy that is the question :cool:

btw-
How's the nose doing, did it ever clear up? :o
Think of it, you are the first BRANDED pd user :ko:
Tom and Pammy, it's gone too far, we have guys branding themselves with the PD
you'll have to put a Caution sticker on it next :brow:

(the above meant in jest, I enjoyed your posts a lot)

- If I am using it in an environment in which I don't want others to see it (too many people to share or whatever reason...) I put it in a large plastic cup with a hole cut in the lower side for the plug (in the over-sized cup the straw looks like a wide Slushee drinking straw. The cup gets wider at the top where you can put pre-filled/spent stems--or use the space to tilt the unit instead of only tilting the cup). Also, it still fits in my cup-holder. The lid also fits over top without the stem in place and the cord can be run from the cup directly down your sleeve if necessary (if there were only a better battery pack available biggrin )

On a funny note (for others tongue ), I went to smell the unit in the ski lift (for some reason?), hit a bump and now have a red semi-circle on the tip of my nose yikes (only do this if you like to give your friends a story to laugh about lol )

vibes1952,

ILoveRadiohead!

I am considering the PD for my first vape and was wondering whether there is any difference in ordering from vapenow or directly from Tom? I'd prefer to order direct but I don't know how patient I can be :p January 2009 is close but includes a lot of days.

I'm guessing the build-quality and warranty are the same and that there aren't any changes in the model (i.e. new stock vs old stock)?

It seems like the Purple Days would be perfect for my needs since I usually smoke alone or with 1 or 2 other friends and I myself have a very low tolerance (1-2 hits from a one-hitter or chillum will do me fine in most cases). Also, is it worthwhile to get a grinder with a screen separator for use with the PD? I already have a small plastic 2 piece one but was thinking of upgrading.

ILoveRadiohead!,

Purple-Days

Hello ILoveRadiohead!, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your interest in the PD... There is no difference between the product we ship to VapeNow and the kits we sell on our site, We even wrap them in the same brown paper for VapeNow to reship them. It's all the same including warranty (handled by us).

We have more Cherry wood on the way so we will be back up and running soon. But, VapeNow is a reliable re-seller, and if you are ready, you might as well order from Nate he has them in stock.

The grinder question: we have used a two piece acrylic with missing teeth for years. Just upgraded and not sure about the screens benifits, I like simple things...

Purple-Days,

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
I like my screen grinder for use with my PD. Kif on a bed of bud is amazing in the PD.

KeepCalm,

bihsbihs

So I'm not much of a poster here, but I wanted to throw in my 2cents about the Purple-Days.

In a few words: It's horrible.

In more words: It's horrible because it is so amazing I haven't touched my Volcano since I got it for Christmas. =P

Yes, that's right... my volcano has remained dormant since Christmas when I unwrapped my Cherry PD from VapeNow. While I understand that Christmas was only a few days ago, you must understand that I am a daily medical user with a fair tolerance.

The PurpleDays is amazingly efficient and allows me to break down my doses even smaller than the Volcano would allow. On top of that, the damn thing is super sturdy and portable and I have enjoyed it numerous times in places where I cannot lug my Volcano and I do not want to deal with the flickering light of my Vapor Genie flame.

My goal was to have my volcano and at some point save up my money to buy a Silver Surfer so I could have two types of vaporizers (bag and direct draw). It was only after I heard SpiralArchitect raving so much about his PD that I decided to change my plans.

Thankfully, the price of the Purple-Days was affordable enough to allow Santa to deliver one down my chimney... and I've been--as I said--enjoying it since.

At this point in time I am perfectly happy and content with my choice of a volcano and a purple days for my vaporizers. Other than hobby, I can't see any reason why I would *ever* need another vaporizer.

So thank you Spiral for getting me on board the PD train, thank you Purple-Days for making a great product, and thank you Santa for being so chill.

The *only* real complaint I have about Purple-Days is their website is horribly confusing... so much so that the only reason I am enjoying a PD right now is because VapeNow.com sells them with a much more parent-friendly layout (yes, my mom bought me my PD). If PD could revitalize their website to look less scammy and easier to navigate, I think they could easily rival any other vaporizer company online.

Edit:

For those of you asking "Who is this guy?" in reference to my negative comments about the website... I am a nerd with over 10 years of internet guru expertise, and of that, 6 years holding senior-level positions in some of the largest companies in the United States as a Digital Architect and User Experience Architect. It is my job to make sure my clients sites make the most out of their traffic. So I'm not just criticizing PD's site because it doesn't jive with my personal taste... I'm saying in my professional opinion, there is no way they are converting as much traffic into sales as they could if they had a more legible website... it's just a simple fact.

To add to that, if it were not for Spiral's recommendation, I would have never assumed PD was a legitimate company based on their website. Furthermore, as I said, the site is so confusing right now to navigate and purchase products that someone like my mom (very un-savvy with computers) would not had been able to purchase one if not for VapeNow.com offering them.

I'm not saying PD needs to go completely corporate and cold... they can still keep their warmth and grass-roots aspect in tact... they just--in my opinion--need to clean it up to better convert traffic.

So yes... I'm not trying to be a negative nancy... only trying to offer my advice (which is very expensive on-the-clock) on how I feel PD could increase their conversion ratios and overall presence online.

bihsbihs,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Yeah, bihsbihs, I haven't used my other units much since getting the PD, too. I still like the bigger hits of the Extreme from time to time, but when I leave the stem on the PD for a few minutes before hitting it, the hits are nearly as big as with my E. I wouldn't be surprised if, after more use, I get good enough to get hits that rival my E.

Funny thing is, I thought the PD would quickly replace my E. Instead, it has first replaced my VaporGenie! I like to hit the E in my office and wag the VG around the house for portability. But the PD is so easy to wag around that I don't use my VG anymore...plus the VG isn't capable of giving me the flavor the PD does.

And the PD is always on...either me vaping or smelling up the house with sweet lavender.

stickstones,

bihsbihs

stickstones said:
And the PD is always on...either me vaping or smelling up the house with sweet lavender.
Where's a good place to get oils and stuff to diffuse? Or do you use actual lavender?

bihsbihs,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Glad you like it bihsbihs! :) She will grow and grow on you.... //// edit, hey dude, check out http://www.thescentwizard.com/ or http://www.escential.net/

stickstones,

I wouldn't be surprised if, after more use, I get good enough to get hits that rival my E.
Yup.
I've started to get hits that are of comparable size to my VaporWarez, and that says something! I mean, I can't make those ginormous dome crushing clouds, but the hits I can make out of the PD (especially with letting the stem warm up a bit in the exchanger) are of a similiar size/density, but twice the flavor with half the amount, which is the best part in my eyes. :cool:

On a semi-related note.... a friend of mine has asked me about marijuana and if he could try it out.
He doesn't toke, never has, and never seemed interested, so this week is going to be his first time!

He doesn't want to smoke because smoke is a major turn-off / irritant (I don't blame him), and he doesn't want to eat it because he's afraid of taking too much, so I've offered to bring over my PD to his house, where he is most comfortable, and toke him out! The ease of use and controlled dose will be prefect for a first timer! I'm really excited to see his reaction and how he likes the high/vaporizer, he's one funny cat, so it should be a good time. :D

SpiralArchitect,

ILoveRadiohead!

Thanks for the quick response Tom! I went ahead and ordered the PD from Nate at vapenow and they were extremely helpful and had much praise for the unit.

I'm a little disappointed I couldn't buy directly from the crafter but I have a feeling I'll be sending some business your way from buddy referals once I get the unit in a few days.

I will do some post searching (and definitely will experiment once I receive the PD) but does anyone have any helpful tips for loading and inhaling techniques to maximize the experience?

ILoveRadiohead!,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I always use the straw method when loading my PD tubes.

Inhaling is like drinking a thick milkshake, slow, but forceful.

Dryer the herbs = more vapor.

SpiralArchitect,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
SpiralArchitect said:
On a semi-related note.... a friend of mine has asked me about marijuana and if he could try it out.
He doesn't toke, never has, and never seemed interested, so this week is going to be his first time!

He doesn't want to smoke because smoke is a major turn-off / irritant (I don't blame him), and he doesn't want to eat it because he's afraid of taking too much, so I've offered to bring over my PD to his house, where he is most comfortable, and toke him out! The ease of use and controlled dose will be prefect for a first timer! I'm really excited to see his reaction and how he likes the high/vaporizer, he's one funny cat, so it should be a good time. :D
That would be very cool to see.

The PD has such a controlled dosage it will be great for newbies. I would just suggets having a glass of water handy for the THC tickles ;)

bihsbihs said:
Yes, that's right... my volcano has remained dormant since Christmas when I unwrapped my Cherry PD from VapeNow.
The Purple-Days winning over 'cano users. :cool:

vaporcloud,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
The PD has such a controlled dosage it will be great for newbies. I would just suggets having a glass of water handy for the THC tickles :wink:
i had 3 heavy smokers vaked from 2 bowls each yesterday :lol:
it was fun, they all commented on the taste and then of course they had to try their strains through it

Acolyte of Zinglon,

bihsbihs

vaporcloud said:
The Purple-Days winning over 'cano users. :cool:
It really is too. I mean, as I've said a few times I love my 'cano to death and it has paid for itself atleast twice over in the amount of marijuana it has saved me... but price of unit aside and history aside... if someone came up to me and said "would you rather have a free volcano" or "would you rather have a free PD", right now I'm inclined to say I'd go with the PD simply because it is so versatile and efficient (or get the free cano and sell it to buy a PD ;)).

Seriously though, I definitely see an important role for my volcano and still love it, but from what I can see now my daily vaping needs will be taken care of by the Purple-Days, and I'll keep the cano around for variety, vaping PD poo @ higher temps, and for the occasional social gathering.

bihsbihs,

WavyGravy

Wow what a thread. This is my first post here but ive spent the past week reading (most) of this thread. To say the least i am impressed. Not only with Toms (jeez, ive read so many posts, first name basis already :D) communication with his customers but also the quality of posters on this site (and especially this thread). You are all so fuckin friendly. So even though this is my first post i hope to post he a lot. Ok now onto business.

For the past 2-3 months ive been doing research on what vaporizer to get (1st vaporizer). I went from a plethora of choices and narrowed it down to 2; the da buddha and the vaporbros. In the end i decided that i was going to get the DB and that was that. All until that fateful day that i came upon Fuckcombustion. All of a sudden a came upon the worl of vaporizer knowledge unbeknown by me. I started to read som threads and found a common pattern, a Purple-Days sig. and constant ravings about it. I realized i had to see what it was all about. I came to this thread, started reading and here i am now.

Ok. So im 99.9% sure that im going to get a PD (im very indecisive) and was disappointed to see that they were "sold out" (soon learned meaning getting in new shipments of materials) but i dont really care, im a patient man. Just gives me more time to ask questions (now to remember them all form throughout reading the thread, damn)

First question, i love hearing the efficiency of the bowl but i also hear a lot of getting "buzzed" off the PD and throwing it into the SSV to get kicked on ones ass. Now sometimes i like a happy mellow buzz but sometimes i just want to get knocked out on my ass, do you guys find this as easy with (and only with) the PD as with other vapes?

Second question, none i can remember, such a thorough thread :). Ill probably have more though.

PS- its funny to see people progress from the beginning of the thread to the end in regards to the PD. One example is SA. In the beginning of the thread he was what i call an "unbeliever" (since everyone seem to hail the PD as being so awesome its magic :)) but at the end he is one of the top spokespersons for it. That really attests to the true quality of the vape.

I also love the personal touch Tom and Pam seem to put into every order. Hopefully they never go commercial (which it doesnt seem like they will. You truly seem like you just want a quality product and not a huge revenue) because the personal aspect is really great. Cant wait to order mine.

That is all. :)

Edit: Ok forget a few things. 1. Sometimes i get great quality herb most of the time its pretty good but not super dank or anything. But i never really get really low quality weed. Would you all see this as a huge problem?

2. Iloveradiohead, im almost 100 percent sure that Tom and Pam make all the PDs. Vapenow just takes the order, they make it , send it to Vapenow who sends it to you. So even if you order from them it still goes to Tom and Pam who still dont have the wood (or whatever materials they were lacking) so i dont believe you will get it in a few days and WILL have to wait till Jan 09. Its a bummer I know man :D.

WavyGravy,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Wavygravy said:
First question, i love hearing the efficiency of the bowl but i also hear a lot of getting "buzzed" off the PD and throwing it into the SSV to get kicked on ones ass.
Welcome to the forum mate.

The PD can certainly kick your ass but it may take alittle more time because you have to consume several bowls to get there. Depends on many factors of course, quality of product etc.

Whip vaps like the SSV, DBV etc will produce a bigger hit so are capable of kicking your ass quicker ... one big hit and it can be :ko: :ko: :ko:

Many PD users have 2 vapes because it helps to cover most of the bases. The PD is a great starting point ... and as this thread has shown, many PD users who also own a big hitting whip or bag vapes use their PDs more often than not.

My tolerance is a little down at the moment so 2-3 PD bowls and I'm vaked :cool:

vaporcloud,

CapnVape

WavyGravy said:
First question, i love hearing the efficiency of the bowl but i also hear a lot of getting "buzzed" off the PD and throwing it into the SSV to get kicked on ones ass. Now sometimes i like a happy mellow buzz but sometimes i just want to get knocked out on my ass, do you guys find this as easy with (and only with) the PD as with other vapes?
Welcome WG, I'm new here myself. I have a SSV and a PD and I find they are both equally capable of rocking my socks off. The PD, however, has a huge advantage over the SSV if you just want a buzz or a low dose :2c:.

You want to know how good the PD is? I currently own a SSV, Herbalaire, Vapolution, and Vapor daddy as well as my PD, and they are all packed away right now except my precious Purple Days.

:peace:

CapnVape,

CapnVape

vaporcloud said:
The PD can certainly kick your ass but it may take alittle more time because you have to consume several bowls to get there. Depends on many factors of course, quality of product etc.
I find no difference in session time between the SSV and PD. I think this is partly because of my vaping style. With the SSV I would stir between each hit and I find it doesn't take much more time than stirring to load a PD tube. I can get a huge hit off a PD tube finishing it in one hit, quickly clear and reload as many times as needed.

:peace:

CapnVape,
Top Bottom