Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

stickstones

Vapor concierge
nah...I hit it just like you...even sneak in a couple of little breaths through my nose during the draw.

stickstones,

captainhits

Retailer
After several days of my PD being on 24/7, the heat issue has gone away. It went from almost scorching the herb (not the crossbar, this when the herb is tamped below the rim) in the first 24-48 hours to now a nice dark honey color even when drawing quickly. I can't say why but the excessive heat seemed to be coming from the resistor as it was only in that spot that the uneven heating occured. I can only speculate, but maybe the resistor has a 'burnoff' period so to speak, even if it were only to raise the temp slightly it might be enough to cause the uneven 'scorch'. I think I offended Tom with my brainstorms and ideas on improvement, but hopefully he understands that discussion about design and improvements is what the forum is about and certainly not intended to offend. I still haven't had the chance to give my car adapter a good true test so I'm hoping it will be fine once I do and the issue was just the initial excessive heatup. So, to sum things up my PD is giving off the correct heat now and I love it! :ninja:

Also, something I noticed that may have played a part is that when it sits unused for awhile, the first hit is noticably hotter. That together with the initial heat up may have been what I was experiencing.

captainhits,

lwien

captainhits said:
After several days of my PD being on 24/7, the heat issue has gone away. It went from almost scorching the herb (not the crossbar, this when the herb is tamped below the rim) in the first 24-48 hours to now a nice dark honey color even when drawing quickly. I can't say why but the excessive heat seemed to be coming from the resistor as it was only in that spot that the uneven heating occured. I can only speculate, but maybe the resistor has a 'burnoff' period so to speak, even if it were only to raise the temp slightly it might be enough to cause the uneven 'scorch'. I think I offended Tom with my brainstorms and ideas on improvement, but hopefully he understands that discussion about design and improvements is what the forum is about and certainly not intended to offend. I still haven't had the chance to give my car adapter a good true test so I'm hoping it will be fine once I do and the issue was just the initial excessive heatup. So, to sum things up my PD is giving off the correct heat now and I love it! :ninja:

Also, something I noticed that may have played a part is that when it sits unused for awhile, the first hit is noticably hotter. That together with the initial heat up may have been what I was experiencing.
Wow. I hope Tom can provide some input here. I have mine set on a timer, not on 24/7, so if what you say is correct, than mine really "may" have been ok.

Tom, does this 24/7 burn in really result in the temp leveling off to the correct vape temp? This has never been reported before.

lwien,

captainhits

Retailer
lwien said:
captainhits said:

Wow. I hope Tom can provide some input here. I have mine set on a timer, not on 24/7, so if what you say is correct, than mine really "may" have been ok.

Tom, does this 24/7 burn in really result in the temp leveling off to the correct vape temp? This has never been reported before.
To answer your question per Tom's email to me he does not believe there is a burn in period, but this was my experience.

captainhits,

Purple-Days

Line Voltage > AC to Ac Transformer > Resistor > User

While line voltage may vary it doesn't do so by much. The AC to AC transformer works on simple induction and a static ratio... and will not change. The resistor is also a fixed item and does not change... No engineer says, "Hmmm, better count on that resistor changing, you know how they are, lets put a different value than we actually want in, so in a day or two it will be right..."

There is NO "burn-in period", you are the only person to ever perceive such a thing. Physics are pretty stable here at sea level.

Voltage > Resistance > Wattage > Btu (heat output)

Change any of those and the other values will change. When they all remain the same, what has changed? :uhoh:

User experience, User technique, User perception.

:/

lwien has an entirely different situation. Hoping that it's his package at the Post today. That or it's Pammy's fuschias from Washington.

Purple-Days,

captainhits

Retailer
Purple-Days said:
Line Voltage > AC to Ac Transformer > Resistor > User

While line voltage may vary it doesn't do so by much. The AC to AC transformer works on simple induction and a static ratio... and will not change. The resistor is also a fixed item and does not change... No engineer says, "Hmmm, better count on that resistor changing, you know how they are, lets put a different value than we actually want in, so in a day or two it will be right..."

There is NO "burn-in period", you are the only person to ever perceive such a thing. Physics are pretty stable here at sea level.

Voltage > Resistance > Wattage > Btu (heat output)

Change any of those and the other values will change. When they all remain the same, what has changed? :uhoh:

User experience, User technique, User perception.

:/

lwien has an entirely different situation. Hoping that it's his package at the Post today. That or it's Pammy's fuschias from Washington.
From what Lwein described he was experiencing the same thing as me, dark uneven heat spots. Be interesting to find out. :o

I just finished doing thorough testing with my car adapter brining it directly heated from my house to the car for 30 min and it was barely hot enough to vaporize with the car adapter, leaving the herb green. The car adapter seemed to be powering it though (the led was on and the PD was staying at a low temp) :mental: I might wait to get a second one so I don't have to be without it when sending this one in. :popcorn: The ;pd; works great in the house. I wonder if the problem is in the car adapter or the unit itself?

captainhits,

max

Out to lunch
I'd suspect the car adapter (or even the voltage supplied to the adapter) before the PD, since it works OK inside.

max,

captainhits

Retailer
max said:
I'd suspect the car adapter (or even the voltage supplied to the adapter) before the PD, since it works OK inside.
Good thought I will try it in someone elses car to be sure

captainhits,

nu2vape

What a great place:)

I have been lurking around here for a perhaps a month now, gathering information and learning from the various post.

My journey is as follows, as an old geezer:D, I thought I had seen it all and never had head of vaporizing, man have I been missing out!!!

Not know what I was doing at first, I orderd a box and whip from ebay and found it to be a single "E" rating, while I found it to be very effective as compared to smoking it was a little more than I needed as a single user. Then I made the mistake of ordering from VG and got one of the globe units... bleh:mad:, straight up scorched/burned the material every time. I resold it to a bud after 1 day, the box vape has also been resold.

Then I stumbled across this forum and a wealth of knowledge was found:D

After much reading, filtering and sifting out of information I found myself drawn to the PD as the next purchase, Well, I got my unit last friday and finally got around to seriously using it this week, all I have to say is that this is the double "E" that is right for me, the PD is both effective and efficent. Stilll amazes that so little can do so much:o

So fellow Vapist... Thank you very much for providing so much helpful information and insight, it certainly helped me find the right path....

Laterz
nu2vape:cool:

Oh and FYI: no issues with the power adapter getting too hot, or scorching from the crossbar.

nu2vape,

max

Out to lunch
Yeah nu2vape, 3rd time's the charm. ;)

Then I made the mistake of ordering from VG and got one of the globe units... bleh:mad:,
Vaporizer Giant? Nothing special as a dealer, but they're OK. They do get a demerit for even selling the conduction dome units. :/

If you want the smilies to work, you have to give 'em a space after your last character.

max,

nu2vape

Thanks to all that responded,

I appreciate the tip on the smilies :D

Just FYI, I just got an email from Jim at Vapenow, I was inquiring about additional tubes.
Jim advises that he has changed the purchase quantity so that one can purchase the in singles instead of 2 packs, he further advises that they are currently out of stock on the tubes.

I will be picking up 3 more to go with my original 3 when they come back into stock.

Oh Yeah... I do computer diagnostics and repair, so if any of the members have questions or issues, I will be happy to try and help them work thru them, just give me a holla :D

nu2vape,

lwien

So let me give you guys an update on my "hot" PD issue.

First off, as has been said sooooo many times before, the customer service that Tom and Pammy provide are beyond reproach. USPS tracking confirmed that Tom received my PD at 10:27am today. At 12:04pm, today, I get an email from Tom stating that he put the unit on the test bench and lo and behold, it was a resistor that was over 5% out of spec and was the cause of the PD running too hot.

He could have just as easily said that it fell within spec, and just sent the unit back to me, but that's not Tom.

Ya know, anything that is manufactured is subject to faults. But the true test of a company's worth is what they do when a fault arises.

So again, a hardy to salute to the PD crew of two. :peace: :)

lwien,

HoneyAir

Lwien,

Thank you for being so stubborn about the issue, then!

As Tom stated previously, he's already changed his quality control to ensure that will not happen with anyone else.

I am glad to hear of this good resolution for you. :cool:

HoneyAir,

nu2vape

Bummers :(

I noticed last night that my pd was not producing very good vapor, and seemed to not be as hot.

I left it plugged in overnight, and got up this morning and the sucker was cold...

Ive tried different outlets, unplugging and replugging to the unit and still no joy.

I took it out to the garage and plugged it into the car with the supplied 12v adapter and it started to warm up again, so i guess that means the power adapter has bit the big one?.

Ive got a box full of power adapters in the garage, looked thur them and none of them match up to the specs on the supplied unit, I fired off an email to Jim at VapeNow,to see what the process is to return this defective one and get a replacement.

I also placed an order today for a Buddah, gotta have a back up... cant have this happening.

Guess I will be water piping it untill this is resolved.

Laterz,
nu2vape :cool:

nu2vape,

captainhits

Retailer
Im in the same boat but with the car adapter. Exhausted myself trying to troubleshoot. :bang: Cord works fine, fuse is fine, PD dosen't heat up! :bang: Sending back, and I too will be waterpiping it (with VB attachment) in the mean time.

captainhits,

Purple-Days

The transformer is a simple AC to AC induction transformer and is UL LIsted. The chances of the transformer itself going bad are remote. Busted cords and broken plugs are the common problem. Setting the unit down on the plug seems to be the most common trouble. Dropping the unit and hitting the end of the cord like a hangman will stress the cord too. Tripping over the cord or rolling over it with a chair...

Bottom line is, broken cords and power plugs aren't covered due to the nature of the way they can be handled. Some folks keep the same power supply for years, some can destroy the plug in minutes. No way to predict which you will be.

The good news is, the adapters are easy to get. While the one we supply is AC to AC you can use 12 Volts DC just as well. Use a 1000mA supply (or greater) and a Type M power plug, 2.1mm x 5.5mm (center positive or negative).

The bulk of your cord should still be good and likely it's just the plug that is broken. In that case Radio Shack can supply a raw type M plug that you can solder onto the remaining wire.

Other options include replacing the supply with the original, from Jameco (part #10081) or getting a replacement from us, or taking the DC specs and getting a DC supply from an electronics supply.

It's the reason we made it 12V. If you ever need new power, you don't really need us.

Same holds true for broken car adapters. Readily available. No need to go to the mfg. just get one at Radio Shack.

Purple-Days,

captainhits

Retailer
Purple-Days said:
The transformer is a simple AC to AC induction transformer and is UL LIsted. The chances of the transformer itself going bad are remote. Busted cords and broken plugs are the common problem. Setting the unit down on the plug seems to be the most common trouble. Dropping the unit and hitting the end of the cord like a hangman will stress the cord too. Tripping over the cord or rolling over it with a chair...

Bottom line is, broken cords and power plugs aren't covered due to the nature of the way they can be handled. Some folks keep the same power supply for years, some can destroy the plug in minutes. No way to predict which you will be.

The good news is, the adapters are easy to get. While the one we supply is AC to AC you can use 12 Volts DC just as well. Use a 1000mA supply (or greater) and a Type M power plug, 2.1mm x 5.5mm (center positive or negative).

The bulk of your cord should still be good and likely it's just the plug that is broken. In that case Radio Shack can supply a raw type M plug that you can solder onto the remaining wire.

Other options include replacing the supply with the original, from Jameco (part #10081) or getting a replacement from us, or taking the DC specs and getting a DC supply from an electronics supply.

It's the reason we made it 12V. If you ever need new power, you don't really need us.

Same holds true for broken car adapters. Readily available. No need to go to the mfg. just get one at Radio Shack.
You'll have to forgive us for being novices in electronics :mental: but it sounds like nu2vape only had his 1 night and the same for myself only a day or so, mine definitely without any distress to the cords. :drool: I will await your professional conclusion as to the problem with mine.

captainhits,

gak hater

my cherry unit has worked flawlessly everytime :brow: :ko:
even just a few min ago :D :ko:
where the cord goes into my unit has never been hot at all :/

it even worked outside on my porch in 20 degree weather :cool:
i just let it warm up a little longer.
it did seem to run a little hotter in the car
but the remains looked the same.
one thing is
i treat my pd like a new born baby :D

gak hater,

nu2vape

Just to be clear,

Ive had my PD since last friday, and it has not had alot of usage (company over, work, ect...)

The PD has not been miss used, or mistreated in any way, not dropped, or had the cord jerked out either.

I am an adult, and take care of my things, if for no other reason than I cant afford to replace items due to carelessness.

Ive unplugged it and moved it from room to room, and have left it on 24/7, but thats about it.

I have no clue as to why the power adapter is no longer working, its just not.

Laterz,

nu2vape,

captainhits

Retailer
I think it goes without saying, but any problems discussed here are not intended to discount or discredit the beloved PD, nor the hard work and care put into making them. Just the nature of the forum. I think even the small number of people who've experienced issues are just as grateful to have and use the PD! ;)

captainhits,

nu2vape

Well,

As soon as I get another power adapter im back in business cause even though im new to this whole thing, one thing is vibrantly clear from all the research and reading ive done over the last couple of months.... the PD is the most efficient and effective vape going (from my limited experience) and you cant beat the hand made craftsmanship. The imput and interaction by purpledays is an added plus.

Laterz,

Actually as I think about it, im gonna get an extra power adapter to cut down on having to move it around, and I will at least have a fallback position that way.

nu2vape,
Top Bottom