Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Purple-Days

Yes the power jack will get noticably warm. Heat migration through the wires (bare tinned copper) was an issue with the LED models. Enough heat traveled through the wiring to make the LEDs fail in some cases. In trying to mitigate the heat transfer we went to two screws mounted in the top of the bottom cavity (stainless screws and washers). These act as heat sink and lessen the heat at the jack but do not stop it. The jack will be noticably warm. That's the way it is.

Purple-Days,

captainhits

Retailer
Purple-Days said:
Yes the power jack will get noticably warm. Heat migration through the wires (bare tinned copper) was an issue with the LED models. Enough heat traveled through the wiring to make the LEDs fail in some cases. In trying to mitigate the heat transfer we went to two screws mounted in the top of the bottom cavity (stainless screws and washers). These act as heat sink and lessen the heat at the jack but do not stop it. The jack will be noticably warm. That's the way it is.
Have you considered countersinking the jack?

captainhits,

Frickr

mine is warm too, but i dont think its hot enough to be concerned. if the plastic on the power jack was melting, then i could see there be a problem with that, but why fix something that isnt broke?

Frickr,

Purple-Days

The jack is screwed into a threaded hole, It gets screwed down tight and a tiny drop of Elmer's Carpenter's glue on the threads makes it a one way operation.

If you think about ways to recess the jack, there aren't many that are as solid as what we use. A nut on the inside? that wood wall is lots thicker than the threaded part on any jack that I know of. and nuts can loosen. Gobs of adhesives/epoxies? Not our style.

Purple-Days,

captainhits

Retailer
Frickr said:
mine is warm too, but i dont think its hot enough to be concerned. if the plastic on the power jack was melting, then i could see there be a problem with that, but why fix something that isnt broke?
The plastic melting analogy may not be the best gauge. Skin melts at a far lower temperature than plastic. 3rd degree burns occur at still a lower temp, and painful burns at still a lower temp.

The intensity of heat we are speaking of is enough to cause an led light to fail as Tom said. Aside from the obvious medical patients that may have sensativity to high heat, many people may not be find the occasional surprise 'Ouch' so pleasant, as its located right in a spot where you hold it.

Purple-Days said:
The jack is screwed into a threaded hole, It gets screwed down tight and a tiny drop of Elmer's Carpenter's glue on the threads makes it a one way operation.

If you think about ways to recess the jack, there aren't many that are as solid as what we use. A nut on the inside? that wood wall is lots thicker than the threaded part on any jack that I know of. and nuts can loosen. Gobs of adhesives/epoxies? Not our style.
Im simply referring to recessing it to flush (1/16"). Not changing the method of installation or adding glue of anykind.

captainhits,

lwien

captainhits said:
... many people may not be find the occasional surprise 'Ouch' so pleasant, as its located right in a spot where you hold it.
Not to be argumentative here capt'n but your the only person who's complained about this and probably the reason why is, is that no one holds it there. I know I don't.

Another reason may be because your unit as well as mine are running abnormally warm.

lwien,

captainhits

Retailer
lwien said:
captainhits said:
... many people may not be find the occasional surprise 'Ouch' so pleasant, as its located right in a spot where you hold it.
Not to be argumentative here capt'n but your the only person who's complained about this and probably the reason why is, is that no one holds it there. I know I don't.

Another reason may be because your unit as well as mine are running abnormally warm.
Uhh. I don't know how small your hands are but mine are medium at biggest and unless I hold it precisely with 3 fingers and a thumb my hand touches the metal every time I pick it up.

captainhits,

captainhits

Retailer
Lwien, is the problem your having something inside the PD itself or is it the power cord? I've tried every combination of packing density and draw strength and get the same result every time after a single draw: Half darker brown than I would ever vaporize to, the other half almost green.

captainhits,

lwien

The PD itself. I have two transformers, and switched them out. It didn't make a difference. But I sent both transformers along with the PD to Tom this afternoon so he can bench test 'em.

lwien,

captainhits

Retailer
Damn I hate to have to send it in and be without it now that I waited so long to get it. Im still using it and enjoying it despite the results Im getting. :o

captainhits,

Frickr

captainhits said:
Lwien, is the problem your having something inside the PD itself or is it the power cord? I've tried every combination of packing density and draw strength and get the same result every time after a single draw: Half darker brown than I would ever vaporize to, the other half almost green.
the pd does vaporize at the higher end of the spectrum. around 390 iirc, every bowl i vape will be dark brown. looks close to black, but its dark brown. and will be a medium brown to a green depending on how many times i hit it and how hard i hit it. i turn my bowl every hit, otherwise i get the one dark spot you describe. basically from what you have told us, it doesnt sound much different then what mine does. unless if my unit is defective also [which i highly doubt] i dont think theres anything to worry about.

Frickr,

lwien

Difference is Frickr, although my duff is also very dark brown, there is also some partial black charring going on. Plus, the wood feels really, really warm.

Anyway, mines already hurtling towards Tom as we speak. I told him that if it falls within the normal unit to unit variences, I'm perfectly ok with that and just send it back to me.

Will post up the findings.

lwien,

captainhits

Retailer
lwien said:
Difference is Frickr, although my duff is also very dark brown, there is also some partial black charring going on. Plus, the wood feels really, really warm.

Anyway, mines already hurtling towards Tom as we speak. I told him that if it falls within the normal unit to unit variences, I'm perfectly ok with that and just send it back to me.

Will post up the findings.
That is my thought too. If it's supposed to run that way I will compromise and hope for an improvement in the future. I'm really hoping that ours are just anomolies like Tom said and that we will be in PD bliss like everyone else very soon.

captainhits,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Just for the hell of it, I checked the jack on my PD. My unit is always on, and it wasn't hot. I even kissed it and felt no discomfort.

stickstones,

max

Out to lunch
stickstones said:
Just for the hell of it, I checked the jack on my PD. My unit is always on, and it wasn't hot. I even kissed it and felt no discomfort.
Same here. We're a 2 PD household now, and neither one of ours has a 'hot jack' (and the LED is gone on our original unit). We've also heard no comments here until now about a hot jack. :hmm:

max,

Purple-Days

Yeah, the jack should be warm not hot.

Seems there may have been a coincidental/concurrent problem in two vapes. And seems they are unrelated. One may be a out of spec resistor. We will test and see. The other seems to be a out of spec wall adapter (since the unit works fine in the car).

Neither of these has come up before, and both happened about the same time.

Please, if you have a problem, write us. Without asking us first, you may make incorrect assumptions.

We have seen most every problem that can occur, and can easily troubleshoot any difficulties. If it's something new, like both these are, logic and or bench testing can solve the problem. It's a very simple system. We make things right. :cool:

Purple-Days,

captainhits

Retailer
I told Tom last night that I took my PD in the car for the first time last night and it seemed to work great and didn't have any of the heat related issues. When I was on the way home though, (after 2 hours of PD cooling down) it didn't get hot enough to even vape after 30 min on the road so i'ts a puzzle right now. Im thinking the PD wasnt working at all with the lighter and my experience with it at the lower temp was due to brining it into the car already hot from the house. Tom says the lighter adapter should actually run hotter. I was going to test the lighter again today but realized I will need to be in the car for 30 min for that which I won't be doing until this weekend.

captainhits,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Keep the PD hot from your house and plug it into your car.. as long as its ~5 minutes ish unplugged it will stay up to heat when you plug it into your car.

Also make sure that the red LED is on for your car adapter so you know that the PD is receiving power, i had to replace the fuse in my cigarette jack before i was able to use my pd in the car.

Survivalism,

Purple-Days

There are lots of factors involved in car use. As mentioned the red LED muist be on. And as you are a new user you may not realize that this unit will drop from the vapor zone quickly when unplugged. So if your lighter wasn't working you would have had no heat at all.

30 minutes is a bare minimum warm up temp for a room temperature vape and still air room temperature conditions. A car has a lot of moving air and setting it in a draft will keep it cool. Even the hot air from the floor heater will be cool and draw down temperatures or lengthen heat up times from a cold start. And at night in April you were likely starting from less than ideal conditions to hit that minumum 30 minute warm up time.

The fact that it went to a normal temperature in the car would logically indicate that the unit is alright and the car adapter is too, leaving the wall transformer as the suspect. Although we have had no overheating or out of spec wall warts, it seems from your descriptions to be the cause.

Please don't use the wall wart if you believe the device is ovre-heating. (Or any electrical device that you think is not working properly. :2c: )

Purple-Days,

LordKaz420

Well after having gotten a solid day's use out of my new PD, I can say that my initial concerns may have unfortunately been made in haste. The unit has been running for over 24 hours now, and everything seems to be going much better. Letting the herbs dry overnight seems to have had a substantial impact, and I've been "warming up" the stem as per the tip given in the PD - Tips and Tricks thread.

I do have a question about the "whistling" sound I hear when I take a hit off the PD. I remember watching a video that said it's best to draw slow enough to not make the whistling sound. Now perhaps I'm still in the learning curve here, but that's very hard for me to do and I'm a tad concerned that it's because my stems aren't fitting as snugly as they should be. There is space between the stem and the part it fits into on the PD, and I'm wondering if air is getting in there and contributing to the whistling? Should it be a snug connection? Or should it be loose? On my PD, the stems wiggle, and if I were to turn my PD upside down, it would fall right out. Just curious if that's the same with everybody else?

Also, regarding the Buzz Butter, how big is the 1 oz tin compared to the sample tin and is it safe to use on the leather bottom? I'm fairly sure I read that it is, but can't seem to find that post right now.

LordKaz420,

Purple-Days

Welcome to the family, Kaz and any that I have missed recently with all that has gone on. :)

Yes the stems are supposed to be a little loose. a perfect fit would mean a perfect alignment to mate the two. Enogh slop so we can get it in in most any state yet still in the very few thousandths of difference.

The whistle is from the sharp turn the air takes and hitting the first set of fins just below the top disc. The sound can be a gauge to judge air speed with or just ignored. You will find what is right for you.

Yes use the :buzz: on the leather too. It's good for the wood and the leather too. Those sample tins contain about 1 Tbs. So 1 Oz is about 8 times that much (and filled to the rim).

Purple-Days,

lwien

The stems are designed to fit loosely and wiggle so that matting can be accomplished. Now if the materials used was more akin to our body parts, than a tight fit would be feasible do to elasticity.

Now if I could just figure out why I'm coming up with these weird analogies. Must be PD flashbacks.:uhoh:

lwien,

Purple-Days

Oh yeah, while waiting on the mystery resistor to sho up from lwien ;) I have implemented a new QC check. Two actually. I've checked quite a few resistors before this, but from yesterday on, all resistors are checked for accuracy, also continuity testing of the wiring after assembly and the resistance over the entire circuit including the jack. Maybe I will never see a bad resistor, maybe I will. If I catch just one it is worth it.

Still doing the pling test on the connections too.

Purple-Days,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Welcome, kaz!

Don't sweat the whistling. When all is said and done and you have some experience under your belt you will be varying the speed of your draw based on feel and taste. Just keep working it!

I'm gonna say it again for all you new PD owners...I have a sensitive throat and love using AofZ's mouth-bong technique. Just the smallest of sips of water cradled in my tongue at the tip of the PD stem filters all the vapor through water and cools it down tremendously. I don't have any more sore throats doing this. It takes some practice to get right and I have to be sitting up, but it completes the PD for me.

Also, I over ground my bud in the coffee grinder the other day and ended up with a whole lot of man-made kif (sp?). I've been using it in the PD ever since and the shit never stops producing vapor! I eventually end up refreshing the bowl just because I want to, but not because the vapor is gone. I've been filling up the bowl about half as full as before and get the same amount or more vapor...the efficiency of this unit continues to increase!

stickstones,

lwien

stickstones said:
I'm gonna say it again for all you new PD owners...I have a sensitive throat and love using AofZ's mouth-bong technique. Just the smallest of sips of water cradled in my tongue at the tip of the PD stem filters all the vapor through water and cools it down tremendously. I don't have any more sore throats doing this. It takes some practice to get right and I have to be sitting up, but it completes the PD for me.
Being that I hit the PD like I would a joint, that is, a slow, long lung inhale, while also taking in some air, I think, for me, using the method you suggest above would almost be akin to being waterboarded.:uhoh:

lwien,
Top Bottom