Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

lwien

Hennessy1414 said:
Im not so sure if you and capn' are in the same boat then ;)

:peace:
Nope. I'm sending mine back to Tom, and looks like capn' is ripping his apart.... ;)

No pics. I already mixed the duff from tonight with the rest of my duff collection. Packin up the PD tomorrow, I think.

And if Tom says that the problem is, is that I'm sucking too hard, than I'm ok with that. (hmmmm..........I didn't mean how that sounded :uhoh: )

And to any potential PD customers that may be reading this, please understand that out of 2300 posts, I think that I and capn't are the only two that have ever reported any issues. I personally don't think that there is ANY vape out there that can claim a higher reliability rate than the PD, let alone that their customer service is second to none.

lwien,

captainhits

Retailer
Hennessy1414 said:
~captainhits shit man...your making quite the claims here.
Just stating my experience. :)

Hennessy1414 said:
I do as well get that small tinly lil black spot(actually its really really brown if you take a close look at it. thanks to the members on FC telling me that its actually not black and the fact i have those pocket microscopes that you can view thrichomes with) I as well thought it was black/burned until further inspection. im surprised you dont like it that way(the higher heat i mean....not necessarily the semi blackening)
I prefer a nice even dark brown but not black just in the spots where the bar touches.

Hennessy1414 said:
I think you need to get a 14.4 GONG min bong. 14 fits the pd stem air tight and it really cools down the hits...
Thanks i'll take a look at that. However, the PD stem happens to fit my 14.4 perfectly which I tried right out of the box but it's bowl is a bit smaller than I take in a bongload and dosent allow enough airflow for a good bongload unless it's very lightly packed which eqates to an even smaller bongload. I like the PD for it's designed purpose and look forward to a possible answer from Tommy about the bar charring lwien and myself have experienced. We both got the PD around the same time so it's certainly a possibility.

captainhits,

lwien

Captain, I suggest to email Tom directly on this. He's got his email up and working now.

lwien,

captainhits

Retailer
As if I haven't stirred things up enough, does anyone else feel a light burn (not hot enough to actually leave a mark, but not necessarily pleasant) on the inside of the pinky should it touch the metal ring round the power jack when picking up? Catches me by surprise like a small zap. :ninja:

captainhits,

Frickr

captainhits said:
As if I haven't stirred things up enough, does anyone else feel a light burn (not hot enough to actually leave a mark, but not necessarily pleasant) on the inside of the pinky should it touch the metal ring round the power jack when picking up? Catches me by surprise like a small zap. :ninja:
after heavy usage (everyone gets their own tube and we just pass the unit around the circle like a lighter) it will get noticably warm. there has been a few times with mine that it was warm, but not to hot to bare.

Frickr,

lwien

captainhits said:
Nope, never had that happen.

lwien,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
captainhits said:
...Upon my first few hits I noticed a harshness that I was not used to. I quickly discovered the bar in the PD was causing parts of the herb to over vaporize almost to a combusted state resulting in unacceptable flavor and harshness IMO. Now after hitting it without touching the bar it's definitely better. I think it should be specified that the end should not touch the crossbar... though you'd hope people would figure that out, some who aren't connoisseurs may just accept the harshness and poor flavor as part of vaporizing. Not touching the crossbar does however require a more precision hold which I don't care for. I'd prefer to be able to just put it in the hole and hit it (no pun intended) without a worrying about the end getting singed by the hot bar.

My initial experience with vaporizers turned me off...the hotbox style and the volcano. What 'turned me out' is my Vaporbuddy (ie VG knockoff) 14mm bowl attachment for my glass on glass beaker bong. (I also do have the VG pipe but don't much care for the flavor that comes out of it and they don't have a bong attachment) The vaporbuddy 14mm however produces hits literally as thick as smoke and as sweet as heaven, though it requires some practice holding the flame properly. It should be noted that I'm exceptionally particular and an admitted perfectionist in many areas, but now that I have a reference with the PD I can HIGHLY recommend the vaporbuddy bong attachment. One thing to note though I had to inspect several that had paint on the inside before finding one without. Even with that negative as long as you get one without paint on the inside its superb. I like big blackout bonghits though which the VB does perfectly. I also like to hit onies and the PD is perfect for that. I await the VHW kinks to get worked out and will keep my PD plugged in 24/7! ;)
I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that herb protruding from the bowl gets charred from touching the crossbar?

Hate to rain on your vaporbuddy parade but are you aware that they've been tested to contain dangerous levels of lead in the paint? Even if your vaporbuddy doesn't appear to have paint inside, it's pretty clear that the nameless manufacturer couldn't care less about the health and safety of users. They don't mind violating the Vaporgenie's patents either.

@lwien, are these black specks something you've just recently noticed? Didn't see any mention of it in your previous posts. If some particles of herb get down in the heat exchanger they can get sucked back into the bowl (blackened). Just a thought.

@everyone, please keep your posts on topic. This thread is long enough, we don't need back-to-back one sentence posts (edit your original post), or, discussions on the 48 states.

vtac,

LordKaz420

Hey All,

My PD arrived today as well and I must say, it's absolutely beautiful! I love everything about it.. It's got a great look, and you can tell is only going to improve with age. It's got a great feel to it.. The size and weight in the hand is just right. I even kinda like the smell the wood/buzz-butter gives off once the unit has heated up, lol. I can tell that a lot of time and love went in to making my PD, and I think that also adds to the experience.

I was however, initially a little concerned that my unit may not be heating up enough. Granted I've been using a SSV since January (when I first started Vaping, thanks to FC!) and probably have a tendency to set it too hot, but I've noticed that I don't get hits anywhere near the size of those that I see in the numerous PD videos out there. I am able to produce vapor. But it's a very very small amount when I exhale, and that's only when I take an extremely slow, long, pull, and only from the first hit. I've never seen anything when I exhale from subsequent pulls. (It's my understanding that, with a whip style vape, the slower you draw air through the unit, the hotter it gets, since it's in there longer, correct?)

I also want to say that the remains are still green. However I am fairly colorblind, and particularly so when it comes to the green/brown's, green/red's and brown/red's, so I can't be 100% sure. It definitely looks green when it comes out, but once I start staring at it for more then a couple of seconds, or try and compare it with vaped remains from the SSV the two colors instantly blend. (Just in case anybody was curious, or didn't know, that's what colorblindness is.. We see colors, but we can't distinguish the difference between certain colors when they are put together. Any of you ever have to take that "circle of dots" test at the school nurse when you were a kid? Yeah, it wasn't until the second to last image where I finally said "Oh, there are numbers in there!" lol. So, unless there is a very distinct difference in "darkness" or "shade" or whatnot, it all becomes one color to me.)

Obviously my first instinct is to try and dry my herb out a little more. Don't get me wrong, it's quite dry as is.. But I figure it can't hurt to grind up a bunch for tomorrow and leave it exposed to air overnight. Honestly though, I'm not sure how much drier it could get. It's quite brittle. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow if needs be. I'm sure it'll take some time to get used to using something besides a SSV, and hopefully that's all this is, the learning curve. I just got a little concerned after having read the last 2 pages of this thread, so I figured I would go ahead and post.. This way I can get everybody's opinion on my situation.

Anyway.. I just want to say thanks to Tom and Pammy, and everybody here at FC.. This is by far the best Vaporizer community and it's the reason I can say I'm a proud owner of a SSV and a PD!

-Kaz

LordKaz420,

lwien

vtac said:
@lwien, are these black specks something you've just recently noticed? Didn't see any mention of it in your previous posts. If some particles of herb get down in the heat exchanger they can get sucked back into the bowl (blackened). Just a thought.
Nope. I always hold the PD pointed down at a 45 degree angle when I insert the stem, when I hit it, and when I take the stem out. I've tapped the bottom of the PD just to make sure. Nothing.

And it's not just the black specks. The rest of the duff is a VERY, very dark brown after 3 hits, unlike the pics and descriptions of the duff stated here as light to medium brown. The light to medium brown duff accurately describes what comes out of my VG, but the duff from the PD is a LOT, lot darker.

The reason that I didn't mention this before is that the first PD that I got didn't run this hot and the duff on that unit came out looking like what has been described here previously by other users. Also the wood on my first PD didn't feel as hot to the touch as this one does.

Like everything else, I'm sure that there are acceptable temperature variances that may occur from unit to unit, and if mine is on the high side of that variance, I'm ok with that. I just wanna make sure that mine isn't falling outside of those parameters.

Tom has been right on top of this and I have no doubt that this will be addressed in very short order.

lwien,

Purple-Days

Couple of things.

Captainhits, the crossbar is hot, and any herb protruding past the end of the staiinless steel 'bowl' will touch that bar and get too hot. I know how long this thread is, and things can get burried. After you load the bowl, by sucking in the material or by pinch and pack method, you should give the end a light tamp with your fingertip to ensure that no material is sticking out and possibly touching the crossbar. If it touches you will scorch. Not intended to be used that way. And if properly tamped you will not need to hold the tube away from the bar. Nor will any fall into the heater tube and get scorched. (well maybe a speck or two occassionaly)

Without the crossbar, there would be no spring tension, and the alternatives are not acceptable. This is how I use stainless and no welding or brazing (using nasty fluxes and welding materials).

There is a possibility that a resistor was out of calibration, but having tested dozens they all are identical... I was raised by a scientist, and taught to consider anything possible. Further testing will tell.

Visible vapor is a deceptive thing. Different lighting, different moisture content, relative humidity and elevation, length of draw and hold... So many factors. And user tech plays a big part in the quality of hits. There is a learning curve with most vapes and after a few days most folks find the best techs for themselves. Using a shaded desk lamp in a darkened room or blowing into a stream of sunshine will show the vapor best.

One new tech I learned from this thread was to let the stem sit in the Heat Exchanger for a bit before the draw. (you obviously don't want material hanging out of the tube for this technique). This pre-heating of the stainless tip produces more vapor and will get vapor from loads that I previously would have considered spent. I have left bowls in the HE overnight and was surprised to pick it up and get a full hit in the morning.

I believe it's the only one in the Dakotas. There are still a few states that we haven't touched (I think). AK and HI are both covered, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, Brazil, England, Ireland, France (including Monaco), Belgium, Netherlands and Israel. Nothing in Asia or Africa.

Purple-Days,

captainhits

Retailer
vtac said:
captainhits said:
...Upon my first few hits I noticed a harshness that I was not used to. I quickly discovered the bar in the PD was causing parts of the herb to over vaporize almost to a combusted state resulting in unacceptable flavor and harshness IMO. Now after hitting it without touching the bar it's definitely better. I think it should be specified that the end should not touch the crossbar... though you'd hope people would figure that out, some who aren't connoisseurs may just accept the harshness and poor flavor as part of vaporizing. Not touching the crossbar does however require a more precision hold which I don't care for. I'd prefer to be able to just put it in the hole and hit it (no pun intended) without a worrying about the end getting singed by the hot bar.

My initial experience with vaporizers turned me off...the hotbox style and the volcano. What 'turned me out' is my Vaporbuddy (ie VG knockoff) 14mm bowl attachment for my glass on glass beaker bong. (I also do have the VG pipe but don't much care for the flavor that comes out of it and they don't have a bong attachment) The vaporbuddy 14mm however produces hits literally as thick as smoke and as sweet as heaven, though it requires some practice holding the flame properly. It should be noted that I'm exceptionally particular and an admitted perfectionist in many areas, but now that I have a reference with the PD I can HIGHLY recommend the vaporbuddy bong attachment. One thing to note though I had to inspect several that had paint on the inside before finding one without. Even with that negative as long as you get one without paint on the inside its superb. I like big blackout bonghits though which the VB does perfectly. I also like to hit onies and the PD is perfect for that. I await the VHW kinks to get worked out and will keep my PD plugged in 24/7! ;)
I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that herb protruding from the bowl gets charred from touching the crossbar?
Nothing protrudes

vtac said:
Hate to rain on your vaporbuddy parade but are you aware that they've been tested to contain dangerous levels of lead in the paint? Even if your vaporbuddy doesn't appear to have paint inside, it's pretty clear that the nameless manufacturer couldn't care less about the health and safety of users. They don't mind violating the Vaporgenie's patents either.
I have thouroughly read the VG's claims and discredits about 'certain models' of the VB and their obvious dislike of the competition and alleged patent violation. With that I have personally deduced that as long as there is no paint overspray on the inside they are A+ and infact in my opinion of a higher quality. And I have read the VG's claims that theirs is also superior in quality. Ok back to PD.

captainhits,

The_Algebraist

Hey Tom:

I've got a first for you! When you guys open up orders on the 15th I will be placing an order for a PD that will be traveling to a new home in Korea.

Purple-Days said:
I believe it's the only one in the Dakotas. There are still a few states that we haven't touched (I think). AK and HI are both covered, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, Brazil, England, Ireland, France (including Monaco), Belgium, Netherlands and Israel. Nothing in Asia or Africa.

The_Algebraist,

captainhits

Retailer
Purple-Days said:
Couple of things.

Captainhits, the crossbar is hot, and any herb protruding past the end of the staiinless steel 'bowl' will touch that bar and get too hot. I know how long this thread is, and things can get burried. After you load the bowl, by sucking in the material or by pinch and pack method, you should give the end a light tamp with your fingertip to ensure that no material is sticking out and possibly touching the crossbar. If it touches you will scorch. Not intended to be used that way. And if properly tamped you will not need to hold the tube away from the bar. Nor will any fall into the heater tube and get scorched. (well maybe a speck or two occassionaly)

Without the crossbar, there would be no spring tension, and the alternatives are not acceptable. This is how I use stainless and no welding or brazing (using nasty fluxes and welding materials).

There is a possibility that a resistor was out of calibration, but having tested dozens they all are identical... I was raised by a scientist, and taught to consider anything possible. Further testing will tell.
Upon further testing I have some conclusions. Firstly, after tampering a bit furthur down the rim the bar is not causing any more problem! :) However, my herb is getting an uneven extra-dark spot to one side of the bowl. Upon inspecting my PD under a flourescent magnifier I noticed that there is a small cylindrical 'circuit' (forgive my lack of electronic vocabulary) directly under the bar which is noticably offcentered on this unit and the exact spot where the uneven heat and dark spot is occuring on the herb.

captainhits,

Purple-Days

Yes tamping is the key to getting the load below the rim of the bowl. After that there should be no direct contact.

The object you see is the RoHS compliant resistor. And yes it is offcenter, the resistor sits flush against the wall of the heat tube on one side, the other side is for the wire running back down to the bottom.

I have seen reports of people turning the bowl to get a more even heat, but have never found it was needed.

Korea? Well that checks off Asia.

Purple-Days,

captainhits

Retailer
Purple-Days said:
The object you see is the RoHS compliant resistor. And yes it is offcenter, the resistor sit flush against the wall of the heat tube on one side, the other side is for the wire running back down to the bottom.

I have seen reports of people turning the bowl to get a more even heat, but have never found it was needed.
Okay, I can accept that. ;) If there was a way to move that resistor down a bit (or the bar up/add another bar higher) IMHO it would eliminate the uneven heat spots and improve the overall quality of the vapor. I know it would only be a small difference but the surface and volume of the bowl is very small so any variables will have a much greater effect. I know however that I'm probably a bit more particular than most. :brow:

captainhits,

lwien

captainhits said:
Okay, I can accept that. ;) If there was a way to move that resistor down a bit (or the bar up) IMHO it would eliminate the uneven heat spots. I know however that I'm probably a bit more particular than most. :brow:
Captn' if you read thru this enormous thread, I think you will see a huge amount of people that are totally satisfied with the PD and the word "satisfied", I believe, is an understatement, and precludes any necessity for a redesign.

I'm not sure if you and I have the same issue, but I am TOTALLY sure that mine is not a design flaw but rather, possibly a unit that falls outside the normal design parameters.

lwien,

The_Algebraist

and handmade to boot. I don't know about the other fellas, but i am going to bet a nickel that Tom might be even more discriminating. It's his name and reputation we're talking about here. I'm sure that he's already tried moving the bar that 0.005 mm that you're talking about and has determined that its current position is the MOST optimal for performance.

The_Algebraist,

captainhits

Retailer
lwien said:
captainhits said:
Okay, I can accept that. ;) If there was a way to move that resistor down a bit (or the bar up) IMHO it would eliminate the uneven heat spots. I know however that I'm probably a bit more particular than most. :brow:
Captn' if you read thru this enormous thread, I think you will see a huge amount of people that are totally satisfied with the PD and the word "satisfied", I believe, is an understatement, and precludes any necessity for a redesign.

I'm not sure if you and I have the same issue, but I am TOTALLY sure that mine is not a design flaw but rather, possibly a unit that falls outside the normal design parameters.
If you read my post it dosent say anywhere that I'm not satisfied. And in defense of Tom and the obvious popularity of his product I'm sure he dosen't feel threatned by suggestions for improvement. Afterall thats how the PD came about. ;) As soon as you begin precluding things for redesign you preclude advancement and improvement.

captainhits,

Purple-Days

Yes, the PD has always been a work in progress. Alway trying to improve. Not all suggestions are used but all are considered and appreciated.

And hand-made means there are some variables, unit to unit. Even the density of one piece of cherry vs the next can have an effect (only slight, but there it is).

Most everything is determined by jig. That one block of cherry I use for 6 different depth stops is pretty well an a cornerstone of production. If it ever ends up in the trash or fire... :uhoh:

The resistor is depthed by the the bottom of the heat tube. Heat tube length is determined by other structures of the heat exchanger. The heat tube length is set at the jig, the same jig gives another depth, the crossbar. Other settings for vapor tips are on the same block of cherry. Even a big center hole for getting the sleeve length. Another wooden jig made from Blackwood is used for top disks (the two holes).

Purple-Days,

captainhits

Retailer
Frickr said:
captainhits said:
after heavy usage (everyone gets their own tube and we just pass the unit around the circle like a lighter) it will get noticably warm. there has been a few times with mine that it was warm, but not to hot to bare.
I'm referring specifically to the exposed metal around the powercord, on the jack, not the wooden part.

captainhits,

max

Out to lunch
captainhits said:
That should not get noticeably hotter than the wood itself.

max,

captainhits

Retailer
max said:
captainhits said:
That should not get noticeably hotter than the wood itself.
Mine does and I just emailed Tom to advise that I think I may have the same problem as Lwein with the heat as it's definitely overheating the herb in one spot prior to extracting the vapor from the rest of the bowl.

captainhits,
Top Bottom