Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Well, thanks for that, spyder.

So knowing what you know from this thread and from the PD website, and also knowing that your friend wanted something in a different class of vape, you went ahead and recommended it to him anyway, also without having tried it yourself?

I'm going to stop at calling B.S. but it does sound like you have a bone to pick or something.

:2c:

vtac,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Well - refilling the tube after 2-3 hits in my opinion doesn't make this vape inapprpriate for the heavy user. I think the reason that this may not be for everyone has more to do with adjusting the way you hit up - the long, deep, slow and easy draws - the skill set that you need to do this properly - and also the 30 minute plus warm up time. I have no problem with either, personally. Beyond that the PD has plenty balls and if you aim to get wasted just refill it and refill it again until you are. Yes, you can put more material in a whip based vape per load but there's going to be a bit of poking and stirring as you go along for diminishing returns. That represents more work than refilling the PD tube.

I own four vapes in total: the Ubie, the VG, the SSV and the PD, and that's the order in which i bought them. For me, the PD is my favorite, the Ubie my very least favorite. I just dig it so totally.

spyder said:
Choose wisely.. they are not for everyone... Like Tom has stated many many times...even think it say so on the website (I think).... it is not for everyone.

I suggested one to a friend (without trying it...bad idea)

He was less than pleased (I hear it)

I've tried it a bunch of time... :disgust:

I personally don't think it is for a heavy habitual user.

I equate it to a dug out system... if you like to take a couple small hits and be done for AWHILE.... this MIGHT be the vape for you. If you are looking to use it for a session... this is probably not for you.. get something with some ballz that will put knuckles to you. :ko:

my :2c:

jeffp,
Reactions: pomogirl

spyder

No bone to pick or smoke...

I recommended it when I read about it. I didn't know how it worked or how well.

probably for the same reason 99% of the folks purchased it... by what they read.

I can provide a picture of the unit with today's newspaper if you like... I can even have tom confirm that he shipped one to a certain address about a month or so ago.

All I stated was choose wisely... it's not for everyone... tom has stated the same

Just giving a true opinion....

We have no issue telling our true feelings about every other vape we come across but now there a review that states.. P-D... Not so good... and we want to call BS or I have a bone to pick.... don't be so petty!!

I just don't want to see anyone make the same mistake

Question... Do you think it hits as good as SSV?

spyder,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
It's all good, spyder, honest opinion is always welcome here.

I just didn't see why you'd recommend the PD to someone who, from the sounds of things, wanted something along the lines of an Extreme or something. And also in another thread I recalled you questioning Tom's story as a fabrication, so I put two and two together and figured maybe you had it out for him or the PD.

Guess I was mistaken.

:)

vtac,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I think the SSV hits are deeper initially because the circumference of the glass bowl and whip are wider, and more material is put into the bowl. i like the SSV - I use it once in a while.

When i turn someone on to vaporizing I usually use the SSV because it's more obvious and perceptually dynamic, and also i think it takes less inhalation skill to get it right.

There is no question that the PD and SSV are both excellent vaporizers with different advantages.

jeffp,

spyder

jeffp said:
There is no question that the PD and SSV are both excellent vaporizers with different advantages.
EXACTLY..... That is all I was saying... not that Tom was ripping people off.

Just if you spend close to a couple hundred.... "Choose wisely"

Tom, I didn't know he had emailed you.. guess he took my advise..??
I'll see where he is at with it... last I knew he threw it in a draw for a emergency.

spyder,

max

Out to lunch
Question... Do you think it hits as good as SSV?
Nothing with a small bowl like this one is going to hit big like a standard size whip vape. You can't get huge hits from a bowl that's only 1/4" in diameter and a 1/4" deep. The Vapolution's been around a long time and has had many satisfied owners (including me), but I don't recall anyone complaining that they couldn't get huge hits from that 1/4" bowl. They pretty much knew what to expect from the small bowl, or should have. Who hasn't sucked on both a soda straw and something like a cardboard paper towel holder as a kid. I will say that IMO the PD blows away the Vapolution in terms of efficiency, ease of use, AND hit size. For such a little bowl I was really impressed with the fairly big, smooth hits the PD can deliver. My wife has been surprised by it more than once. She can't get used to how much vapor she's getting without knowing it. I love the SSV for its big hits, but I don't need or want those big hits all the time. Those that do should know the limitations of a small diameter bowl.

How you load the bowl, and the consistency of the ground herb, does make a definite difference with efficiency, and size and number of hits, but I would take exception to the statement that it's only sufficient for the user who wants "a couple small hits and be done for AWHILE". Granted, I can get wasted a lot faster with my SSV, but the best hits from that vape come with more in the bowl than I need. Then, as jeff says, I'm faced with some stirring and less than great taste to finish off the bowl. With some fine ground herb loaded in the PD (and it's easy to top off the bowl with some kief), I can easily get more than a couple of small hits. It's also quick and easy to reload or have tube #2 and #3 preloaded.

IMO this vape really shines with high quality herb. You want efficiency with your higher priced stuff and the PD delivers. There have been many times when I've finished off a bowl and just put it down for a while. Having a small bowl you can fully load can be a plus. There aren't many vapes you can easily load with such small measured doses. It would be a great choice for some medical users.

More big pluses that are unique to the PD-
There just isn't much to go wrong with it. My Vapolution's temp control is getting gritty. The Vapo guys tell me it's going bad and they'll be happy to fix it for $25 (plus my shipping cost). :rolleyes: Why can't an analog temp control last more than two years? It's not like I play with it. Not only is that not an issue with Tom's vape, that big SS heat exchanger lets you hit it easy or hard, and if you want to let the loaded tube sit in the vape for a while (my wife is bad for that), it doesn't burn up your bowl like the Vapo does. The parts Tom uses are all heavy duty. The ceramic resistor is a big boy, and resistors are the least likely components to fail. There's no electric vape on the market less in need of a warranty. If you haven't seen Tom's durability tests, look up purple-days vaporizer on youtube. Gotta be the toughest electric vape on the market-no contest.

I feel safe in saying that nobody else is going to produce a vape with this kind of quality, fit and finish, at anywhere near this price. Even the wiring is 'unleaded'. Yeah, you have to pay extra to get hook-up wire that doesn't contain lead. Over 80 distinct operations to produce one, with multiple steps to some operations, and I can only attempt to imagine the time it takes to produce the beautiful finish on these hardwoods. I don't think Tom will mind me quoting an email-

"Like the boring operations. 7 holes takes 12 drilling steps. Counted as 7 operations.

I can get the unit sanded pretty smooth on the lathe, easy. But... When the bottom disc finally gets glued in and chopped flush the leather goes on. 24 hours to dry and then trimmed with scissors. Now the real finishing starts, cause you have to get the leather flush with 60 grit and no matter how slick it came off the lathe you get to start over at 60. Then 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220. Then the steel wools to #0000. Bottom logo stamp goes on and dries. Then two coats of Buzz-Butter. Final sanding and finish is considered one operation but you can see it's just a little more than that."

So considering the way this vape is built, for safe long term use, and the time involved in making it into a work of art, I think it's a steal even if it's just used as an aromatherapy diffuser. And I haven't even mentioned how well it works as a portable vape. :brow:

I guess this post has turned into another review. That's OK by me. The PD deserves it. :)

max,

spyder

Max... I agree and that is an excellent review

except you took something out of context... if ya gonna quote.. gotta be accurate

but I would take exception to the statement that it's only sufficient for the user who wants "a couple small hits and be done for AWHILE

never said only sufficient... said I compare it to a dug out system...
I equate it to a dug out system... if you like to take a couple small hits and be done for AWHILE

I never said he was a thief just choose wisely
:rolleyes:

spyder,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
spyder, you keep saying "Choose wisely".

Good advice. I think that most of us here are the type to do our homework before buying or recommending a vape.

Perhaps what I should have asked in the first place, is "can you be more specific as to what you don't like about the PD, and what other vapes are you basing that on". If this thread is giving the wrong impression about the PD, let's clear that up. If not, then I guess we can all relax. :D

vtac,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
One other thought regarding PD/SSV, et al. The PD is far far less of a fire hazard.
That is very significant to me, and it should be to everyone, especially when you consider dim lights and a wasted consciousness and falling asleep on the sofa.

Yes, it seems that everyone here is here partially for consumer research purposes and tha vapes we own we bought after digging deep into the scattered little knowledge pools online, which itself was a difficult thing, to get pure info rather than disguised sales pitch.

Max's review hits the nail on the head better than anything i could have said.

vtac said:
spyder, you keep saying "Choose wisely".

Good advice. I think that most of us here are the type to do our homework before buying or recommending a vape.

Perhaps what I should have asked in the first place, is "can you be more specific as to what you don't like about the PD, and what other vapes are you basing that on". If this thread is giving the wrong impression about the PD, let's clear that up. If not, then I guess we can all relax. :D

jeffp,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
some pretty deep discussion here. As a fellow PD owner ... and someone new to the fold ... it could be a bit dangerous putting in my first report this early ... but here goes.

Like Tom says the PD is not for everyone ... and if your looking for a vape to knock you over or take in enough vapor to make you cough (and waste half the hit) then I dont think the PD is for you.

I have emailed Tom a couple of times since getting my PD to clarify a few things. At first I have to admit to not being able to get it to produce any vapor at all. I was pretty gutted a first because I want the PD to be my #1 go to vape. Leave it on 24x7 and hit it whenever I please. Today I put it in my car, car kit on and drove home from work which is a 90 minutes drive. I have also gone for a slightly different wall unit for DC power ... remember its 240v in NZ so I had to supply my own wall wart. So I got home and the PD felt a lot warmer to touch than I remembr the night before. Plugged it inot the wall unit, left it for 15m and and hit it. And it worked!!! Not big head spinning hits ... narrow is how Jeff once described them and I think that is a good description. I don't think my herb is either dry enough or ground fine enough to get the best out of the PD.

All vapes take time and I'm giving the PD that.

Just a note to finish on ... the bowl is tiny. What I would use to fill up one whip I used less than half the same amount over 5 or 6 bowls and got nicely toasted. Gonna got back and have a couple more hits right now. :brow:

vaporcloud,

Cannabudz

apprentice shaman
can any PD user tell me if they get more intense results than with other vapes, or can it be described more a low key satisfying thing(without the fuck how am i going to talk to people thing)

Cannabudz,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I don't know, I think it's mainly the quality of the material and if it's dry for vaporizing. It has to do with your skill in knowing how to vaporize and holding it in. Ultimately I get equally fucked up on both the SSV and PD, pretty much. For me, i get relaxed immediately and then it starts climbing. Takes about 15 minutes before i get "floaty." One thing I notice with the PD is how funny Stephen Colbert is. I literally spit out laughing sometimes. I think I laugh more on the PD then the SSV but I'm not sure.

My usual session is about 8 hits with the PD and maybe the same with the SSV.

Someone described the PD experience as a "purer" form of vaporizing and even though i don't understand what that means, it rings true and i agree.

For 150 bucks this is a great deal, no question. If i knew about this before I bought the SSV for $269.00 I would have been quite happy with the PD with no strong inclination to buy a different vape.

Cannabudz said:
can any PD user tell me if they get more intense results than with other vapes, or can it be described more a low key satisfying thing(without the fuck how am i going to talk to people thing)

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
I haven't found any difference in the results from one vape to another, as far as effect. And you shouldn't with a decent convection vape. If it'll produce vapor efficiently and deliver it, I think it's all a matter of how much it delivers per hit. You can get just as high from the PD as from the big hitting Herborizer. The big difference being that you can probably (check with our Herbo owners here) get wrecked with one hit from the Herbo, assuming you can hold enough of the hit long enough to process it. :ko: With the PD you're more likely to just lose interest in loading another bowl, as in 'I'm good right here'. It's not designed to deliver large amounts of vapor at a time, but the plus to that is very high efficiency. The small bowls aren't wasteful with the vapor and there's very little condensation loss. So it's not the big hitter that you can get with a lot of standard whip vapes, but it's very satisfying to use for at least some of us SSV owners, which is more than i can say for the Vapolution, which is the direct competitor to the PD IMO. I stopped using the Vapo for home use as soon as I bought the SSV. The PD is very portable too, which may or may not be important, depending on the person.

low key satisfying thing(without the fuck how am i going to talk to people thing)
It can certainly be that. One hit won't wreck you, so if you want you can just wait a minute and check your altitude, then decide if you want another. Plenty of times I've got stuff to do and just want to take the edge off. That's harder to do with a big bowl. So the vape has its pluses and minuses, and you've got to decide how they balance out for you.

max,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I'm learning mine and getting some nice smooth hits. Not big whip hits ... and a hard core bonger might find the PD a disappointment. But as max said the 'high' is the same ... and I know if I wanna go back for another couple of bowls I'll go thru very little weed. I laughed my way thru guitar lessons today and the students enjoyed my good mood. Thanks to the PD.

vaporcloud,

Cannabudz

apprentice shaman
Sounds good enough said for me when i have the cash, im in. It is all about diffent strokes not only for different folks but the one unit/human lol, Herbs are playing a bigger place in my life more &more so i'm up 4 different methods of execution, i can foresee a ssv or dabuddah in my sleeping zone too, hav 2 suss those too out to make the choice:o

Cannabudz,

max

Out to lunch
At first I have to admit to not being able to get it to produce any vapor at all.
Did you figure out what the problem was? Not enough warm up time?

Just a note to finish on ... the bowl is tiny.
Yeah. In case anyone missed it first time around, this is most likely the smallest bowl you'll find, but that has its advantages. ;)

"The bowl is a quarter inch deep down to the screen, and 1/4" in diameter. ...

As for a typical load, I loaded 10 bowls by stabbing the bowl down into a pill bottle a few times, not trying to pack it tight, but they were more or less full to the top. I weighed the 10 bowls full on a scale accurate to .01g. The weight was .21g, so a medium packed bowl, full to the top, averaged .02g..."

max,

spyder

That is all I was trying to say and the message I was trying to get across... which may have been said but the whole one topic and lets post as much as we can under it theory makes it hard to see if something has been mentioned... :disgust:

Now we have a few more folks give some honest feedback (not saying people were not being honest...just not giving all the details...which will help people choose wisely.

Max has a great review....

I think I can sum up MY OPINION in a few sentence...

If a dug out system (one hitter) is what you are aim for...then the P-D may be the Vape solution...

Just like a dug out can be used all day for all your needs...I would not be happy if that was my only means to consume.

P-D has it place... some it may be the first and only... other it may be their portable solution....other's may think it pain to consume that way.

Too each his own... but choose wisely!

spyder,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
At first I have to admit to not being able to get it to produce any vapor at all.
Wasn't thru lack of warm up time but more a dodgy connection between my DC wall wart and the PD. I don't think it was getting enough current to get fully up to temp. I did have to spend some extra bucks for a heavy duty wall unit but its worth it.

Yeah. In case anyone missed it first time around, this is most likely the smallest bowl you'll find, but that has its advantages. ;)

As for a typical load, I loaded 10 bowls by stabbing the bowl down into a pill bottle a few times, not trying to pack it tight, but they were more or less full to the top. I weighed the 10 bowls full on a scale accurate to .01g. The weight was .21g, so a medium packed bowl, full to the top, averaged .02g..."
The biggest issue I have with the small bowl is over fulling and it beng to hard to draw on. This is the biggest learning curve ... and I'm finding sucking up the herb works well too becuase you know the air flow still exists.

My PD is going to stay on 24x7 ... shit it even acts like a nightlight in my en suite. Gonna go and hit a few .0-something grams :brow:

vaporcloud,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Cannabudz said:
Sounds good enough said for me when i have the cash, im in. It is all about diffent strokes not only for different folks but the one unit/human lol, Herbs are playing a bigger place in my life more &more so i'm up 4 different methods of execution, i can foresee a ssv or dabuddah in my sleeping zone too, hav 2 suss those too out to make the choice:o
Good post and too true! A Da Buddah is still on my wish list too. I will replace my shitty digi box vape with a DB one day ... will compliment my PD very well.

vaporcloud,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Between loads, when I expel spent vaporizables, I blow out with a bit more force a second time, before reloading. this "pops" or unclogs the tube instantly, which clears the pathway.

I am not sure it makes any difference if I manually put material into the tube or stab the tube into a pill bottle. As long as I tap material down rather than plunge it down there's the same airflow.

vapor_cloud said:
Wasn't thru lack of warm up time but more a dodgy connection between my DC wall wart and the PD. I don't think it was getting enough current to get fully up to temp. I did have to spend some extra bucks for a heavy duty wall unit but its worth it.

The biggest issue I have with the small bowl is over fulling and it beng to hard to draw on. This is the biggest learning curve ... and I'm finding sucking up the herb works well too becuase you know the air flow still exists.

My PD is going to stay on 24x7 ... shit it even acts like a nightlight in my en suite. Gonna go and hit a few .0-something grams :brow:

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
spyder said:
That is all I was trying to say and the message I was trying to get across... which may have been said but the whole one topic and lets post as much as we can under it theory makes it hard to see if something has been mentioned... :disgust:

Now we have a few more folks give some honest feedback (not saying people were not being honest...just not giving all the details...which will help people choose wisely.

Max has a great review....

I think I can sum up MY OPINION in a few sentence...

If a dug out system (one hitter) is what you are aim for...then the P-D may be the Vape solution...

Just like a dug out can be used all day for all your needs...I would not be happy if that was my only means to consume.

P-D has it place... some it may be the first and only... other it may be their portable solution....other's may think it pain to consume that way.

Too each his own... but choose wisely!
I'd be interested in hearing some of the details on the PD that were left out, since I always try to be thorough. And I disagree with the one hitter description. You'd have to load light and hit it really big to drain a bowl with one hit. There may be 'hit and run' occasions where you'd want to do that, but certainly not as a rule. With my normal load I never get less than 3 hits and with finely ground herb more.

To repost: "One recent load consisted of very fine, dry herb, and I got 6-8 good hits from it. The number of hits with this very small bowl can obviously vary a lot according to the consistency of the weed."

Since your complaint, quoted below, seems to be that the PD lacks a big punch and you didn't get details on that, I'll list some previous details I posted (and a couple from jeff).

"I equate it to a dug out system... if you like to take a couple small hits and be done for AWHILE.... this MIGHT be the vape for you. If you are looking to use it for a session... this is probably not for you.. get something with some ballz that will put knuckles to you."

By the way my response to your statement- "If you are looking to use it for a session... this is probably not for you.." is a question. What kind of unusual and narrowly defined definition do you have for the term "session" that disqualifies this vape and others? You seem to be saying that only big hitting vapes are worthy of a "session". Since you like detailed info you'd be much better off saying that the PD is probably not for you if you like big hitting vapes. That way you wouldn't be including everyone in your 'big hitters only' catagory. You shouldn't apply your personal criteria to all vapers. I know a few people who don't care to have knuckles put to them. My wife can barely handle the PD hits. :lol:

----

"I was getting the urge for some big hits last night, but I was feeling way too good to fetch the SSV and hook it up."

"As much as I like my SSV for big hits, I find myself using the PD a lot for pure ease of use."

"...the Vapo has pretty much lost its starting position. For me it's the SSV and PD..."

"I still love the big Surfer hits, but the PD is a nice contrast."

And this one spells out the difference pretty clearly IMO-

"Yeah, it's a coincidence that jeff and I both own the Surfer. I really only compare them on the basis of quality and safety. I don't look at them as competing models. They're too dissimilar. I'll admit I enjoy the vapor experience more with the SSV, due to the big volume (but smooth) hits it can provide, but stealth and portability are important to me too, so if I can only have one , I'd have to go with the more versatile PD."

And quoting jeffp:

"it's great for one person, it's not a group vaporizer. my silver surfer seems more suited for passing around."

"it doesn't lend itself to a comparison to the silver surfer - but since that's my other vape i am comparing it in my mind. with friends over, it's the silver surfer."

So all these statements point out the difference between the vape with the quarter inch bowl and the big hitting Surfer. I won't speak for jeff, but I clearly stated multiple times that the PD is not the big hitting vape the Surfer is. Even if you found some statements that led you to believe the PD is a big hitter, the statements quoted above should have been more than enough to prompt some questions on your part before you suggested it to a friend, who obviously shares your liking for big hitters.

So as far as I'm concerned, "all the details...which will help people choose wisely" were there in black and white. And your complaint that "the whole one topic and lets post as much as we can under it theory makes it hard to see if something has been mentioned...", just doesn't hold water with me. It was mentioned multiple times.

max,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I'm not getting any more than 2 draws on a standard load. There would possibly be a third if i was patient but the economy factor makes it just as easy to blow the plug and load another bowl. I did manage 4 draws off a bowl topped with some pollen. yummy ... went all gooey black and tasty sweet.

I craved a few big hits today and set up the vaporite ... got a couple of burnt bowls and excessive consumption and I went back to the PD.

vaporcloud,
Top Bottom