Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

trygve said:
today is the 3 week mark since i ordered my PD, really looking forward to it. I have a no-name 4 piece grinder that i actually really like. Although no-name can be a gamble.

O yeah, I am only on my first week of the wait. Although, I do have a couple zaps to ease the pain. I really liked the idea of a stainless steel unit so that is what led me to the purple days. Plus that bison leather bottom is the shit, ya know I had to add that. My grinder of choice is a Mendo mulcher, they are made in the US by a guy named Dave. This guy has the toughest grinders on the market IMO.

PanicFreak,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Nycdeisel said:
yea that too, since it cant really be cleaned you need to have extra tubing as well. cant just go to a store and find that type of stuff

A while ago I ordered a small quantity of silicone tubing and didn't really have any place to store it so I stuffed it in a carton and put it in a lower level kitchen cabinet. The tubing sticks out of the carton and trust me, it looks weird to some people who have seen it - like i almost felt i had to prove that i wasn't a cannibalistic serial killer. I remember hearing, "Jeff, are you SURE this is for your vaporizer?" Lesson learned, find a larger carton so it can be closed. Ultimately my involvement with using a hose with the PD was short lived - a while ago a bunch of us were interested in this and some did a bulk order I think with US Plastics for hose that was dimensionally correct with the PD. I ordered on my own. It was OK - an experiment, but it was more trouble than it was worth for instance clearing out the stem required either disconnecting the stem from the hose or a more forceful blowout. Really not worth the trouble. The only good thing about it was it was comfortable, like using a hands free whip vape. That's about it. Other than that, glass is far superior in all respects.

Yeah I've noticed also that my PD is hitting a little hotter when I hit it straight. Normally it doesn't make me cough. I think it's the weather. With the bong and water it's always very smooth.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
chimpybits said:
OK, I'll just have to make my decision as I do want to get going with this. Reckon I'm going with Myrtle as it is easier to increase the temperatures with cozies. Anyone wanna recommend a grinder to go with it?

Just my two cents but I'd go with cherry since it's the PD standard and many feel the optimal wood choice. Mine's been running almost 24/7 for three years and hasn't let me down once.
You should get a small or medium two piece Space Case grinder - you can spend hours mulling over this and it's really not worth the trouble. There are reportedly a few other really good grinders but I would just go with the Space Case and be done with it. Titanium or aluminum, the difference if at all is slight. Look around this site in the "general" section for recommended retailers and coupon codes. Figure about $25 for the grinder.

**edit**

and oh, I would definitely NOT use a coozie at all. this throws the thing out of balance, the unit could get too hot. not a good idea and not necessary at all.
a bong on the other hand, yes, if you want to maximize what you can do with this.

jeffp,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I made a shorty version of an extension for the log vape stems, making it easy to blow out, and with a mouthpiece to increase draw.. using a short piece of the food grade tubing (SSV stock). It is short enough toplace down nicely too. See image at Stem Extension image

Vitolo,

chimpybits

jeffp said:
Just my two cents but I'd go with cherry since it's the PD standard and many feel the optimal wood choice. Mine's been running almost 24/7 for three years and hasn't let me down once.
You should get a small or medium two piece Space Case grinder - you can spend hours mulling over this and it's really not worth the trouble...

**edit**

and oh, I would definitely NOT use a coozie at all. this throws the thing out of balance, the unit could get too hot. not a good idea and not necessary at all.
a bong on the other hand, yes, if you want to maximize what you can do with this.
Hi jeffp, I get your point here on the Cherry being the PD standard. The logic being to go with what is standard and considered most optimal, and if you don't like it, then you don't really like the PD and should just try a different vape. I am just going to get the small 2-piece Space Case as I don't even what to entertain any research on this. I'm having a hard enough time committing to a PD wood.

chimpybits,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
jeffp said:
a bong on the other hand, yes, if you want to maximize what you can do with this....

I gotta disagree with jeff on this one :p. I think it depends a lot on what your ambient temperature is. I live in an old cold stone built farmhouse and in this winters cold spell the temperature in my house would regularly be below 10 C (50 F), and even colder in backrooms. Even in summer the house very rarely gets above 18 C (65F). For me the coozie is pretty much essential to maintaining temps when the house is cooler. When I visit my family in the south of the UK where temperatures are often double what they are here it's not an issue at all.

I'd be really interested to know the magnitude of the effect of a coozie in absolute terms- i don't actually think it's all that much, just a few degrees perhaps.

WatTyler,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
WatTyler, yeah I hear you. What you're saying makes sense. There's usually no absolutes but in my case the coozie was overkill.
Chimpybits - I'm not getting what you're saying. The cherry works great, that's the reason I recommend it; it also happens to be the standard. If it didn't it wouldn't be.

jeffp,

weedemon

enthusiast
Well my Girlfriend's Dad is visiting, meaning I have to pack up all my toys and hide any pot related stuff.

I have the PD setup and running in the bedroom however, I gotta say loving the stealth factor of sneaking away for a quick rip!

Thank you Purple Days!

weedemon,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I prefer my cherry PD to my Myrtlezap, because of the slightly higher temp.
But the cherry to myrtle PD comparison would be even better. AND there can be temp variations between units of the same wood.

I wonder if you could have Tom pick a hotter or colder unit of a particular wood based on weighing them.

rabblerouser,

chimpybits

jeffp said:
Chimpybits - I'm not getting what you're saying. The cherry works great, that's the reason I recommend it; it also happens to be the standard. If it didn't it wouldn't be.
Basically, I'm agreeing with you. The cherry is the standard as you say. If one don't like the performance of the cherry PD at all, then really one doesn't like the PD.

chimpybits,

Purple-Days

Got the digital IR thermometer yesterday afternoon. Noticed the discussion of 'The Coozie Effect'.

So, I went back and got Pammy's Myrtle Unit. Took several readings, at intervals, after the unit was stable in it's new surroundings (1 hour) . Got reading 'X' . Applied a 4mm neoprene (closed bottom) coozie,

b7jeag.jpg

another hour to stabilize... Room temp 78F for both sets of samples and same draft conditions / location / transformer etc... Results about 5 degrees F bump up in temperature. Pretty much as expected.

This method (coozie) was very effective in my drafty Oregon workshop, compensating for the cold ambient temp and drafts. Under normal conditions, such as 78F, the extra 5F isn't really needed and can bump you into a harsher vapor experience (your choice).

Purple-Days,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I actually put my coozie on different to you, Tom, on top like a hat. Just took a pic in fact, cos they're always nice. There's a little hole in the top that was there from manufacture (maybe to let condensation from the can out edit: to let the air out) which the end of the tube fits through nicely. I only stick the tube end through there for a couple of minute pre-heat, then pull off the coozie, re insert the stem and happy days. There doesn't seem to have been any significant effect on the coozie from the heat, and I've left it on there pretty much constantly for months. Just take it off for hitting (which is a shame as it's not nude on display).

But I imagine it would retain some amount more heat to enclose the top this way compared to a 'right way up' fitting

edit. Pic removed to remove the power of suggestion

WatTyler,

Milk

Mike
Looks like a fire hazard, glad to know nothing has happened so far. Congrats on the new tool Tom, can't wait to see some more numbers. Good to know the "coozie effect" is about 5 degrees, should help people with a low ambient.

Milk,

Purple-Days

Please folks, never cover the top of a PD. They are not designed to be covered up! Heat rises and naturally escapes the PD, covering the unit with pillows or coozies upside down will cause overheating and lead to a shorter PD lifespan. Using a coozie in the manner I showed will allow that heat to escape and a 5 degree boost will not have significant.

Using a coozie the way Wat is showing (with the original power supply) is not recommended and looks dangerous. NOT Approved, NOT recommended, NOT !!! Obviously, as Wat has told us, he is in a low temperature environment and may also be using a non-PD power supply (lower Voltage output).

Purple-Days,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
:uhoh: :lol: no, I'm certainly not getting anywhere near danger temps here- the PD is not abnormally warm to the touch at all when I take it off, AVB is normal and like I say it been long enough that I'm comfortable enough with it now that it has been on for months (famous last words?). I'm thinking that my ambient indoor temperature is generally half of that when I lived in the south (or any modern home)- a variation of around 10 C (? F). I expect that this coozie method is compensating in temperature a similar amount- it's certainly not 'supercharged', and there is still the central hole in the coozie a little larger than a stem from which you can still feel a little heat escaping.

My transformer power supply is the same stated voltage, but less sure about the house supply. The house is over 180 years old, lord knows when the wiring was done and parts of it are still the original installation. On top of that we're also several miles off the main electricity cable, and I did wonder if our personal supply cable/boxes were properly maintained. I've no idea if all this should or could affect the voltage supply to my house, and I'm not sure if it's all just coincidence, but we often get power flickers and I've gone through several chargers, transformers and expensive reptile UV light bulbs since moving here- more than is normal. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that my all electrics were dodgy. But not that much so it affect my vaping. I guess it's just my cold ambient temps.

So heed the boss man and don't follow my coozie example!

WatTyler,

Nebera

Vaporizer Enthusiast
Coozies really help when you have a lot of people hitting it. I knock the bottom out of them, so they sit up higher on the days- I dont think the bottom really needs to be kept that warm.

Is it just me or have I not seen many pictures of cherry ones lately. cant wait to see one in person

Edit: Tom I was wondering if you could test a warming up PD. Im sure that thing can take reading on the body. From room temp until maybe 2 hours. Ive noticed from a cold start, at even 45 minutes the body doesn't feel that hot. And it seems to hit harder after 45 minutes, then it reaches an equilibrium temperature after a some amount of time. The body obviously starts out cold, then warms up. I was wondering if you could could take body temperature readings. It would be interesting to see the real numbers, as the body seems to get warmer with time. Of course this is all from observation with no real numbers. I really wish I had bought a pandora kit so that I really know whats going on. Im sure you'll do this too, but could you test the differences in temperatures on the extremes of the diameter differences on the PD. That would be interesting as well.

How cool would an infrared picture of a PD be?

Nebera,

djonkoman

the outside of the body isn't that warm yet after 45 minutes indeed, I also notice that (obviously) the upper part of the body, where the heatexchanger and heater are, gets warm faster then the bottom part(the wirecompartment)
but I've noticed no significant difference in the hits between 45 minutes and when the body is fully warm

djonkoman,

Purple-Days

Nebera, that's an interesting science experiment. A graph of external wood temps imposed on HE top temps, till stabilization of both... 10 minute intervals??? I think that is a great suggestion and we will attempt it. Most of you know I like science . . . :science:

Wat, I know you are remote, and grid Voltage will determine output Voltage on an un-regulated power supply, but each Mfg. may have another idea of what 12V might be. We see it here in USA, a Radio Shack 12V power supply (specially the variables) may not be the same exact output as a Jameco.com #10081, the only power supply we have ever provided for North America.

Purple-Days,

alexwallis

Hi Tom,
just wondering, how do the myrtle readings compare with those you get from a wallnut or cherry unit?
also, could you please post the readings you got from the already tested pd as proper numbers?
as unfortunately I assume you posted them as screen shots or pictures before, so my screen reader is unable to read the results you obtained, it just detects the pictures on the page, but can't read me the numbers. I am interested to see how wallnut, cherry and myrtle stand up to each other though.

alexwallis,

Dudeson 1882

I've always fancied a Purple Days vape & I've nearly pulled the trigger a few times & bought one. There's one youtube vid in particular that always makes me want to own one & I just watched it again haha but is there anywhere to buy them that ships to the UK? & are there UK versions available?

Dudeson 1882,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
I have always been interested in the purple days, from the moment I saw the amazing looking units here on FC. The wait time was never a bother for me until I went to buy one and it has no means to arrive here in Australia.

I've even contemplated asking some of the members here to let me get it shipped to them and pay them to ship it to me.

I do hope I can one day get my hands on FC's favorite log vape

psyshaman,

Dudeson 1882

I knew it couldn't just be me. :D

I've seen people based in the EU with them in their sig so it is possible.

Dudeson 1882,

psyshaman

Vapor Viking
@dudeson - As have I with Aussie members, although the pandora kit was shipped internationally for a period of time so that may have something to do with it

psyshaman,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Purple-Days said:
Wat, I know you are remote, and grid Voltage will determine output Voltage on an un-regulated power supply, but each Mfg. may have another idea of what 12V might be. We see it here in USA, a Radio Shack 12V power supply (specially the variables) may not be the same exact output as a Jameco.com #10081, the only power supply we have ever provided for North America.

Ah yes, this is a point Tom- and I have been using nameless cheap power supply's from Deal Extreme which I have read may also overstate their mAh rating (stated as 1000), which might account for early burnout. I never even thought of voltage. I only get a few of months really (24/7) out of each supply. All things considered I'm thinking now it's a false economy and I should splash out on a branded version. But like I say I'm also not having a great deal of luck with other devices either at the moment, so I've maybe got a lot of variables.

psyshaman said:
@dudeson - As have I with Aussie members, although the pandora kit was shipped internationally for a period of time so that may have something to do with it
I think this might be it. I was the very same as you guys, so you've got my full sympathy. I very nearly purchased before the rush when PD was still available overseas, but made the wrong choice at the time. Which became really regrettable when they were no longer available; you want what you can't have even more! Especially when I had been so close. Then when the Pandora kit became available I got straight in there, I think the very day it was announced :lol:

My best advice is to keep a look out in the 'sell your vape' thread. I've seen them come up occasionally, but you've probably gotta be quick.

WatTyler,
Top Bottom