Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

RBKJ

I've been lurking on this forum for a while. This actual thread is what lead me to purchase the PD just a few weeks ago. Its been about 5 weeks so far so hopefully in just over a week it'll be here in Hawaii.

After seeing the picture of the PD bowl compared to the MFLB bowl I got even more excited. I currently have a MFLB and I love it, but I'm hoping the PD is even more efficient. I've been reading this thread for a while so I apologize if this has already been asked (if it is can anyone point me to the right page?), but can anyone give a good comparison of the PD compared to the MFLB? I'm hoping it is more efficient, as in more bang for the buck. I try to get the most out of what I have to save some cash hah.

Nevertheless I'm real excited and those pictures of the PD Bowl in the MFLB trench are just making me even more excited!

RBKJ,

MG23

Relaxin'
RBKJ said:
I've been lurking on this forum for a while. This actual thread is what lead me to purchase the PD just a few weeks ago. Its been about 5 weeks so far so hopefully in just over a week it'll be here in Hawaii.

After seeing the picture of the PD bowl compared to the MFLB bowl I got even more excited. I currently have a MFLB and I love it, but I'm hoping the PD is even more efficient. I've been reading this thread for a while so I apologize if this has already been asked (if it is can anyone point me to the right page?), but can anyone give a good comparison of the PD compared to the MFLB? I'm hoping it is more efficient, as in more bang for the buck. I try to get the most out of what I have to save some cash hah.

Nevertheless I'm real excited and those pictures of the PD Bowl in the MFLB trench are just making me even more excited!

In my experience, my usage was cut in half when I switched from using a bong or bowl to using my MFLB and because of stealth I was able to use the MFLB a lot more often than I did with a bong or bowl. When I received my PD my consumption was cut in half again. (1/4th as much as smoking) I still use my LB when I need wireless portability (rarely) but the conservation from my PD with regular street mids is (in my experience) roughly twice that of the LB, and the conservation over smoking is around four or more times higher.

MG23,

Milk

Mike
Long time lurker found my way here from the shroomery forums about 1.5 years ago and it's my first time posting. I don't always get a chance to talk to Tom directly so I know this is a way we can keep in touch!

Anyone who is thinking about or owns a PD should read this thread through - it takes a long time but it's an interesting read and really gives you a lot of background on the PD and some appreciation for how well it's crafted. So many users have contributed tips and tricks and other insight into how to get the most out of your PD.

It's an honor to be part of the family and I really love reading the posts from some of the regulars. Tom and Pam have really been amazing people and it's about damn time I started contributing to the forums :). I don't know many people locally who are involved in the community so most of what my wife and I have learned has been from reading here or experimenting on our own.

After nearly a year I have had no issues - one of the best things I love about the PD is the flavor. There is nothing to corrupt what you are vaporizing so you really get a clean taste which is amazing, especially if you come from using a simple pipe or spoon. I am a non-smoker (maybe part of a cigar on occasion) but for the most part I like to keep my taste buds intact so the PD has been a delight in that arena. Aside from being very efficient some noise must be made for how sturdy these little things are. Our little unit has faced a few drops to the ground, into a tool box, and one time behind the bookshelf where it sleeps. Still chugging along with the first power adapter that she was boxed up with. No mods, no beer coozie, and no over-voltage.

Someone recently mentioned the grain and yes there is definitely a change with age. I would assume this is because as the wood completely dries some of the oil/beeswax from the buzz-butter migrates deeper into the wood creating more depth. That's just a guess.

I know a lot of people have commented on the customer service side of how Tom and Pam run their show and if it were not for Pam and Tom's work I would probably be in a worse place right now - they both have really helped me make positive changes in my lifestyle and it's very much appreciated.
Looking forward to some interesting conversations while this thread grows and with it the size of the Purple-Days family.

Milk,

RBKJ

MattyGTwenty3 said:
RBKJ said:

In my experience, my usage was cut in half when I switched from using a bong or bowl to using my MFLB and because of stealth I was able to use the MFLB a lot more often than I did with a bong or bowl. When I received my PD my consumption was cut in half again. (1/4th as much as smoking) I still use my LB when I need wireless portability (rarely) but the conservation from my PD with regular street mids is (in my experience) roughly twice that of the LB, and the conservation over smoking is around four or more times higher.

That's awesome to hear and really, exactly what I'm looking for. In the beginning I use to smoke, but overtime I realized that it would impact my health if I kept going the way I was. Inevitably I found the MFLB and was happy with it, but the inability to really clean the unit really well has begun to wear it out. If I understand how the PD works correctly, which I believe I do, then keeping it clean shouldn't be a problem right? lol

For a long time I was really sketchy with weather I would buy the PD. I had originally intended to just save up for a while to get a Volcano, but I just couldn't see myself using it stress free with it being so big and shiny. I'm in college so stealth helps a long way. I don't vape 24/7 (as much as id like to lol), but stealth is really key for me.

As much as I'd like to think I know what the PD is like I don't believe imagining will do it any justice. I'm excited to take that first hit and to see what all the buzz is about haha. From what I'm reading, it should be better than I could imagine.

This thread is really what sold me on everything, every bodies input has been very helpful in every way!

RBKJ,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
RBKJ said:
If I understand how the PD works correctly, which I believe I do, then keeping it clean shouldn't be a problem right? lol
You only need to keep the stems clean, and a small bottle of ISO will take care of that. The unit itself doesn't really need cleaning but it does like a lot of loving with the included buzz-butter. Rest assured though; this never feels like a chore as not only protects the wood but also makes it look so much more beautiful plus (as strange as it sounds) it really gets the whole bonding thing going with the PD.

nuvap,

marvin42

jeffp said:
Welcome Marvin - it's going to be slow going with four or five people passing around the PD and reloading it assuming each guest gets one hit from a stem. Probably a good idea to load all three stems at the same time and it's good practice to wait a few seconds or so between hits. As good as the PD is, it's not really a party vape but I've done it and everyone seemed to enjoy just the same. My best group vaping experiences are usually when there's a few vaporizers plugged in throughout the apartment. A Silver Surfer on the floor next to the bean bag chair, a PD on the coffee table, a Vapor Bros on the other end of the table. That's what living's all about and I'll miss that pine wobbly coffee table when it finally collapses although it continues to hold up.

mlo4sho said:
I don't know about 3-4 people constantly hitting it but I've hit my PD back-to-back for minutes at a time trying to really get the most out of a bowl with no noticable heat loss. I actually find the unit gets hotter to the touch the more I hit it, though I'm not sure if it would be the same when you have a few sets of lungs drawing from it. It would make sense that more inhales = more time for the unit to get back to its regulated temperature, I just haven't seen it from personal use. Would like to hear how it functions in a 3-4 person session with consecutive hits going on, much like the scenario you mentioned.

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I don't plan to use it like this more than the first time. I just want to give it a good christening. I'll just have to regulate the use as best I can.

marvin42,

dr3-el

Hello guys~ I'm from Hong Kong, may i know how i can buy a PD? Official website said they don't ship outside US, thats very sad for me. I really want to have a PD, i have a volcano but it's getting old now >.< Please let me know, thanks ^^

dr3-el,

beach bum

Milk, I agree with you! I, too, have been lurking for a couple of years. It was the quality of the products and customer service that finally got me to register and post.

I purchased my PD quite a while back - when the waitlist was around 5+ months. I knew what the wait was going to be and, while anxious to get my hands on a PD, was certainly willing to be patient until it was my turn. The wait was sooooo worth it and I've been enjoying my PD ever since. I ran into a slight isssue, involving a "rattle" that I couldn't fix myself - contacted Tom and Pammy and they took care of it right away. They couldn't have been nicer - or faster - in terms of getting the problem fixed and my PD back home. Great vape produced by great people. :2c:

beach bum,

weedemon

enthusiast
dr3-el said:
Hello guys~ I'm from Hong Kong, may i know how i can buy a PD? Official website said they don't ship outside US, thats very sad for me. I really want to have a PD, i have a volcano but it's getting old now >.< Please let me know, thanks ^^
I believe you can get a pandora kit (one you build yourself. they just send you the parts)

or if you email them I have heard stories of them making an exception or 2 to help people out! send them a message! they are really great folks!

weedemon,

RBKJ

I've been reading that you can use the PD as an Aromatherapy Device when not vapeing. Does anyone do this on a regular basis? Its not messy is it? If I guessed right its just a cup that draws from the heat exchanger to slowly evaporate the oil in the cup?

Either way I was looking up "Aromatherapy Oil" on google and the first website that comes up has some outrageous prices for oil lol. $600 for 12 small bottles of oil I believe lol. Can anyone recommend a brand of Aromatherapy Oil you can get online for a good price? The first site I saw marketed the oil as a way to actually help influence your mood. Can anyone vouch for such effects? I've never used aromatherapy before so I don't want to discredit it before actually experiencing it for myself. It would be unfair to those who do practice its use. It would be interesting if it did have some sort of effect, would be something nice to do with the PD when not vapeing and to just make my room smell good lol.

RBKJ,

Purple-Days

Weedmon, thanks for the kind words. But, the website says North America Orders Only for a reason. We do not want to deal with internet translators or the Russian alphabet, or the French Postal System, or the South African Duties, or the Brazilian Customs, or the political issues involved with selling to certain Middle East countries, or any of the other hassle etc. etc. etc.

Weedmon, we did the Pandora project for 365 Days, and it was available outside North America during that time, but is no longer available. A one year project. A fun project, for us and lots of folks who got the chance to build their own.

Newest post card Via ... The Royal Mail. ;) :cool:
111jqma.jpg

Pammy will post an aroma oil link in a few.

Purple-Days,

Cleanfiend

Yes, the PD functions extremely well as an aroma therapy diffusor. It is not messy so long as you remember the cardinal rule: always fill the aroma dish while it is off the PD and then place it on top.

$600?

Aura Cacia is a widely distributed manufacturer of essential oils -- I find them in many health food stores I frequent. As for price, it varies, as some ingredients are more costly than others. If my memory serves me correctly, I usually pay between $6-15 for .5oz of Lavender, Grapefruit, and Sandalwood.

Cleanfiend,

Drops

Vaporist
RBKJ said:
I've been reading that you can use the PD as an Aromatherapy Device when not vapeing. Does anyone do this on a regular basis? Its not messy is it? If I guessed right its just a cup that draws from the heat exchanger to slowly evaporate the oil in the cup?

Either way I was looking up "Aromatherapy Oil" on google and the first website that comes up has some outrageous prices for oil lol. $600 for 12 small bottles of oil I believe lol. Can anyone recommend a brand of Aromatherapy Oil you can get online for a good price? The first site I saw marketed the oil as a way to actually help influence your mood. Can anyone vouch for such effects? I've never used aromatherapy before so I don't want to discredit it before actually experiencing it for myself. It would be unfair to those who do practice its use. It would be interesting if it did have some sort of effect, would be something nice to do with the PD when not vapeing and to just make my room smell good lol.

Aromatherapy does work, lots of stuff out there on it for what oils do what for your health\mood. Also you should be able to get decent priced oils from most health food stores. Some stores could be high priced, and also some oils are better then others so DO cost more so for sure make a few trips, maybe write down the names of the brands the store caries and check them out online, or while in the store if you have internet on phone.

Also you can read up on making your own oils, dried 'herbs' are much cheaper then the oils, and I would imagine almost any of the "Cana-Oil" instructions would work with most any herbs. If you do make your own I would look up what oils are best to use, never made my own oils, but have made several (Non-MJ) 'Tinctures' for sleeping\stress.

Tinctures may also work, and should evaporate much faster just be careful being they are alcohol based that you do not get it on the wood.

Another option I think I read in this thread but WAY back is where someone took stick incense and I think scraped some off the stick with a razor and put that in the cup, powder incense should also work. The only thing about incense is you never really know whats in there so I would fill the cup OFF of the PD and the set it on and have the PD in a place where you will not bump it, would hate to get a VAPE to be healthy then have something not healthy fall into the heat exchanger.

But to be honest, I do not have my PD yet, so probably should not be giving advice (4 days in on waiting), but I also read so much on the PD over the past several months since I got into vaping.

few links to check out...
Herbal Knowledge base
The Magickal Properties of Herbs

Drops,

Pammy-Days

Lovely Assistant
Hey RBKJ & anyone else interested,

In answer to your question... here is a Site that offers very reasonable prices on Aromatherapy oils, and they've been doing it since 1979. They're out of Portland, OR http://www.escentialonline.com/

Hope you find something you like. ;)

Have a good day all! :peace:

Pammy-Days,

mlo4sho

RBKJ said:

Absolutely. Even on days when I'm not vaping, I find myself using the PD as an aromatherapy device. Just put a few drops into the cup AND THEN place it on top of the PD. That way there is no chace of mess or getting any unwanted drops inside or on the wood of the PD. As far as retailers for the oils, there are many out there that are far cheaper than $600. Pammy linked a good website, or if you have an eBay account you can certainly find some cheap oils there. Think I got 4 bottles for less than $15 shipped, and I'm still on my first one. The scents are great, I'm enjoying French Vanilla almost daily. For clean up, just dump the oil out after it's been heated for a while (mine will be a dark brown almost black color once it's done).

mlo4sho,

Purple-Days

I think Pammy's link deserves a little extra mention. We have no relation to them other than as small time aroma oils customers... a smallest bottle or two at a time.

The 'About Us' page is worth a look, http://store.escentialonline.com/articles/Company_Info.htm this is the start of it,

"Escential Lotions and Oils started in a tiny Portland, Oregon storefront in 1979 with the simple goal to offer the best quality bath and skin care at a reasonable price with excellent customer service.

The opening became a family event, with owner Meg Mann's family building shelves and counters, and Emily, her eight-year old daughter, labeling the first batch of soaps. Escential, now a second-generation independent, woman-owned business, has passed from mother to daughter."

They are into recycling and other cool business practices. :cool:

+++

Scrape incense off a stick and use it in the aroma cup. Any knife edge and a clean plate to scrape onto will work. gather the result and place in the cup. Old school method.

As suggested, never fill the cup with oil or shavings when it is on the diffuser, fill the cup away from the diffuser, your aim isn't as good as you think. ;)

Use a tissue, etc. , to insulate your fingers if you decide to pick up a 'hot' cup of oil... :rolleyes:

The 'cup' is a 1/2" copper (plumbing) end cap, available at any hardware store, for under a buck. Get a few.

The same ISO alcohol (90+%) you use for tube cleaning is useful for cleaning the cups...

Pammy likes an aroma unit in the bathroom, always a good break from the visiting relatives if you have them (to enjoy aromatherapy). :cool:

+++

edit: Hi Milk, seen your name on post cards, thanks for joining in. :) nice avatar !

Purple-Days,

weedemon

enthusiast
Purple-Days said:
Pammy likes an aroma unit in the bathroom, always a good break from the visiting relatives if you have them (to enjoy aromatherapy). :cool:

Haha! I love it! :) that's a great idea!

weedemon,

wowthisisrandom

Glass/Vape Enthusiast
I have to say aromatherapy is a good option for stress relief and concentration. I've heard of studies that said when they pumped lemon aromatherapy oils through the vents at a workplace work input went up by 5%. Only one week into the breach though but trying to tide myself over with my VB.

wowthisisrandom,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
No work today and probably ran through about 40 stems. Very productive day to boot, especially in my yard. Also, very enjoyable day inn regard to vapor intake. Thanks Tom and Pammy

IAmKrazy2,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
lwien said:
40 stems ?!? :o

Yeah I wasn't counting, but that may have been an underestimate. Went through about 4 or 5 when i woke up, and another 12+ while working outside and around the garage. Great weather. Last summer, it wasn't uncommon for me to light a cig while working outside the house, yesterday this was an alternative to smoking tobacco for me. I think i did 6 back to back while waiting on my snowblower to run out of gas. i started it up, and let everything burn off before it sits in my garage till next winter. Just ripped a lot, and watched it run ideal in my driveway till all the gas was gone. Took longer then i thought, but i was happy just chilling and watching.

watched about 2 hours of TV before bed, and surfed the net. Probably plugged in about 20 stems at this point. a couple grams of good herb a day is no big deal for me, and the PD sure makes it fun to try and get there a pinch at a time.

IAmKrazy2,
Top Bottom