Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

lwien

The PD comes with a little muslin blow bag. After I'm done with the stem, I stick the bowl end in the bag, clsoe the bag around the stem and blow. No mess.

Of course, the very first time I used the PD, I blew the stem into a shot glass. :o

Kinda looked like this >>

lwien,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
weedemon said:
it's a real beauty man! :) what type of base does your have?

I have one like that on order too. was your first pic(many post ago) without buzz butter applied?

can you feel any parts on the wood that are rougher than anywhere else?

how come you have retired your DBV ? the PD is far superior? or is it because of the amount it uses to work?

also how do you guys get the spent weed out of the little stem? do you use a stir rod? does it come out easily? I know you can blow it out, but that seems to me like it's gonna get messy with lots of abv dust getting about? never used one yet so was just curious.
Cheers man. :)

The first pic I posted here a while ago was before any buzz butter had been applied and in pretty bad lighting so the flash made it look a lot lighter than it was, the second pic was after its first waxing and buffing. These pics tonight are the first I have been able to get of it in nice natural light and I think they really show the colour of the wood, the PD has probably been waxed about 4-5 times at this point.

The base on mine is standard purple leather and the feel of the wood overall is pretty smooth, certainly no rough parts but if you stroke the sides across the grain (oh, and you will stroke it) you can just about feel the grain in some places, which I really like because it feels like wood should rather than having a complete plastic like smoothness.

I've retired the DBV mainly because the PD is sooo easy and so enjoyable to use. Don't get me wrong on this, the DBV is one serious vape and I would never get rid of it but compared to the simplicity of using the PD, the whole deal with glass pieces, silicon piping and worrying about temps & combustion seems a bit unnecessary. I expect the DBV will be out in force when I have large groups of friends around but until that time it is on the bench.

As for emptying the stem; at first I used to tap the stem in to a jar until the ABV tapped out until my wife told me it sounded like I was ringing a bell... all the time. I then tried the muslin bag & blowing it out approach and found it a pain getting the ABV out of the bag afterwards so I ended up getting one of the baby food type jars I use to store my ABV and cutting a hole in the lid just slightly bigger than the tip of the PD stem - that way you don't get any blow back of dust. Now I just puff out the spent herb in to the jar until it is full, then put a proper lid on the jar and put the lid with a hole on to an empty jar (rinse & repeat until enough ABV for edibles). :2c:

All good. :peace: :peace:

nuvap,

A Day In The Life

My Purple-Days arrived in the mail today and I love it! I was able to read this entire thread while I waited for it :lol: but it was definitely worth it. I must say I'm impressed with Toms handy work, it looks amazing in Black Walnut and works like a charm. It looks allot better than the Pandora kit I built for a friend before, Maybe I should have spent more time touching it up :s. It's by far the easiest vape I've used and IMO is perfect at what it does.

I also got a Matching Porta-billy with it (which looks amazing and is the perfect companion for my PD) and they threw in a whip-ripper =) Thanks guys, I'll be thoroughly enjoying my PD for a long time.

Here are some pics of it, mind you they're taken with my phone so may not be the best quality and deffinetely don't do it justice.
pdpic1.jpg

pdpic2.jpg

pdpic3.jpg

A Day In The Life,

mlo4sho

Nice pics all. Now I'm jealous of all the beautiful PD's so I must show a few pics of mine. Just quick shots from when I got it, haven't taken the time to get perfect pics with great lighting. Like everyone else says, pictures really can't do this vaporizer justice; it's just a different world when you see it and feel it in person. Cheers :peace:

Photo0710.jpg

Photo0709.jpg

Photo0708.jpg

Photo0707.jpg

Photo0705.jpg

PS: Yes, I like soda.

mlo4sho,

weedemon

enthusiast
thx for the replies on how to deal with abv :) good to hear others ways of dealing :)

i like hte sound of that baby food jar idea too. would be easy to punch a hole in one of my mason jar lids for this job. :)

weedemon,

Purple-Days

Some new post cards to share with the PD family. :D

These
2q9whhk.jpg

were shown on the contest thread... The little shop is cool and we love Dogs!

+++

The Vapor Lounge seems to be filled with promotions these days (some good, some not so much, IMO).

We are gonna keep this contest, and all future contests (we only do two a year :cool: ) right here, for the PD Family. :D We have always done this sort of thing, to give something back to folks, and have fun in, and with the Fuck Combustion community.
Not, wave the PD Flag every day. :rolleyes: 'Nough said.
Now. . . Back to regularly scheduled programing . . .

+++

2qtiyr6.jpg

I always like seeing a picture taken by the sender. Nice shot !

dbgyti.jpg

I bet this is from the guy who sent the Salvador Dali card last time. Maybe :shrug:

syrww0.jpg

Oh, man. Wish I was there... I'll have the Captain's Platter ! What are you having?

zwfcco.jpg

Every contest we get a Civil War scene, I'm getting quite a collection.

20b01gx.jpg

I think this means something good...

30m6efs.jpg

Always like being reminded of a place I have been.

Thanks for the cards and comments, we enjoy them all. :)

+++

One extra came in this morning, Pammy made a postal run early, but Pammy has the camera packed away and just headed out the door. It's her Birthday :party: and she is doing things with her friend today. Tomorrow they are going on a scenic steam train ride together. She will be back in PD land Friday morning, so expect some office delays (ie e-mail answers etc.)

+++

Nice pics folks, thanks . . . That Porta Billy came outta the figured stuff we picked up while in Oregon. Washington or Oregon origin. I like making a good match between those mating surfaces. Might end up using that figured stuff for special Porta Billys, Maple and Walnut. Grabbed that piece in a dark garage. Chopped it anyway. Same for the Black Mesquite that I still have, small items rather than PDs. The Black mesquite is too dense for a PD and the other two are a little inconsistent, but all very pretty. ;)

Purple-Days,

hereatlast

Happy birthday to Pammy!

Always nice to see the cards...

I bet this is from the guy who sent the Salvador Dali card last time. Maybe

Nope, I won't say which was mine though :p Thanks for these contests, they're fun and I'm sure give a better sense of the community at hand.

hereatlast,

OldGuy

nuvap said:
The base on mine is standard purple leather and the feel of the wood overall is pretty smooth, certainly no rough parts but if you stroke the sides across the grain (oh, and you will stroke it) you can just about feel the grain in some places....
The PDs that I have handled all have had that nice feel to them. I think Tom has commented before on his tool sharpening. He's likely at least as skilled at tool sharpening and honing as he is at actually turning the wood, IMHO.

nuvap said:
I've retired the DBV mainly because the PD is sooo easy and so enjoyable to use.....
I expect the DBV will be out in force when I have large groups of friends around but until that time it is on the bench.
I too have all but retired my DBV in favor of my log vape. While I don't miss it when vaping, there's usually some good "stuff" left behind in the ABV material from my log vape. I save my ABV and periodically re-vape it at a slightly higher temperature in my DBV. A generous bowl of log vape ABV in my Da Buddha always makes for a good night's sleep for me.

nuvap said:
As for emptying the stem....
I ended up getting one of the baby food type jars I use to store my ABV and cutting a hole in the lid just slightly bigger than the tip of the PD stem - that way you don't get any blow back of dust. Now I just puff out the spent herb in to the jar until it is full, then put a proper lid on the jar and put the lid with a hole on to an empty jar (rinse & repeat until enough ABV for edibles).
I have been doing practically the same thing, and I agree. I used a storage lid with Mason Jar threading and made three holes. One hole is just slightly larger than the tip of the vapor stem, the other two are vent holes (for breath exhaust) which I covered with screens. Works great for me.

OldGuy,

weedemon

enthusiast
hey cool! my post card got though! faster than I thought it would take too.

also, that Niagara falls pic is pretty. i'd like to go see the light show someday

@oldguy, i like the idea of extra holes with screens over em. clever!

im gonna use your guys idea when i start using mine!

Happy Birthday Pammy! :)

weedemon,

Purple-Days

I'll relay a (hopefully) short (and funny) story about tool sharpening.

We were moving across country and stopped somewhere near St. Louis, got gas . . . and a knife shop was right there, great place to stretch your legs. Super selection of Case brand knives. I carry a Case every day and it is used in the production of every vapor stem. One of the final steps.

They had everything. I bought a bone prototype that was washed out to sea, another story...

Funny part now, I hope: " Boy's First Case Knife " , in a box set, with folding Case brand knife, sharpening stone, and a small box of Case branded 'Band-Aid brand' bandages with a Case logo. Sadistic, but Realistic... Anybody who sharpens tools is eventually cut by his own work. :cool:

You learn to sharpen, then you can cut cleanly. I think Mr. Moore would agree. ;)

Purple-Days,

mlo4sho

Yay, happy birthday Pammy! Hope you're having a great day! I'll make sure to vape an extra "happy birthday bowl" for ya :peace:

mlo4sho,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Happy Birthday wishes to Pammy ;) Hope for an awesome birthday!

Lo,

Brother Brigham

King, Priest and Ruler over Israel on Earth
Happy Birthday. FYI, god doesn't keep score on your birthday, so live it up...i'm just sayin' :)

Brother Brigham,

Nebera

Vaporizer Enthusiast
Well Ive had my PD for a few days and I just have to say that I am definitely satisfied! Ill put up some pictures once I get some time. Im using the straw method to load and I am getting 4 hits per bowl with degrading taste. My only complaint is that the cord is a little short :brow: but Ive fixed that with a surge protector that lives with it to give me that extra couple feet.

I may be alone on this, but I think that with special use, the pd is better for 3 people than the surfer. Ive had a couple buddies over, and Ive found that if each one of us has our own stem its easier to use than the surfer. This way, the only thing to pass is the PD, and each person can load their own bowl at their own leisure from their own grinder.
With the surfer you have to reposition the surfer, pass the wand, stir the bowl, get in a position so you can move the wand around, and some how pitch evenly on a bowl. It can be awkward.:2c:

As has been stated before, this thing is gorgeous.

Ive had to clean all of the stems at least once (at different times). The little purple bottle is perfect to iso the stems, really got hooked fat with that.

MY favorite part of the package is the litte abv bag, that is brilliant.

My poor surfer has only been used once since I received the PD :D

This thing brings a whole new meaning to the word efficiency.

OH and happy birthday Pam! :peace:

Nebera,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Nebera, congrats on your PD acquisition. I am finding that in small groups the PD when connected to a bong works better than a whip vape like the Silver Surfer.
The only reason I say this is that with the Silver Surfer, etc., you have to keep turning the unit in the direction of who is using it and adjust the hose accordingly to prevent the glass bong from tilting and falling. The force of the pull of the hose can do this, even with an adapter that turns around in circles. The PD is easier to pass around with the bong - my only issue is the plug sometimes falling out; it's just a matter of being mindful of this if possible.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Nycdeisel said:
yup thats exactly the right piece! thats the one I originally had that I loved dearly until it broke.
and thanks man, I will look for the right cloth for buttering ;)

It's a really good piece and I like the way it swivels; you are right about the perpendicular angle. Still, you have to be careful not to topple the bong with movements of the hose.
One reason why I prefer the PD for bong vaping. For protection, I'm thinking maybe a table runner or something like that to provide cushioning just in case the bong does topple and fall and possibly break on the coffee table, what do you think?

jeffp,

Zode

Ordered my PD on 2/14, just got it today. It's charging as we speak. I cannot wait! Thank you Tom and Pammy for your excellent craftsmanship and customer service!

20526917496681751141041.jpg

Zode,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
3 weeks down 3 and change to go. Slightly upset that I will not get to use it on 4/20 but it's cool. I'll have it for many 420's to come.

Madcap79,

weedemon

enthusiast
nice lookin pd man :) btw cool books :) i enjoy the sword of truth series :)

@ madcap, yeah i know man. im in the same boat. mine is gonna be very close.

weedemon,

BuddahMonk

Madcap79 said:
3 weeks down 3 and change to go. Slightly upset that I will not get to use it on 4/20 but it's cool. I'll have it for many 420's to come.

1 day down. Finally pulled the trigger. :cool: Can't wait to join the family.

BuddahMonk,

marvin42

BuddahMonk said:
Madcap79 said:

1 day down. Finally pulled the trigger. :cool: Can't wait to join the family.

I ordered mine on 2/21 so I should be seeing it ship any day now. The wait is rough, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

marvin42,
Top Bottom