Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Cleanfiend

Weedemon - I too am waiting, but also would agree that good things come to those who wait. Black Walnut with Bison will soon be my baby!

Sometimes, I find myself going to the PD website just to listen to 'Drizzle' and the other recordings. Good tune!

Cleanfiend,

Purple-Days

I know it's hard to wait, thanks for your patience everyone.

Just so you all know, I'm not sitting around on my hands, this is a shot of the workbench this morning.

2v3m2ky.jpg

Like I have said before, I work in batches, this is about 2 pages worth and most should go out this week (blue highlighted have been shipped). Heat exchangers, heater harnesses, sleeves etc. all get made in batches, units are bored in batches, when it all comes together, they go out in batches.

Just back from the lumber yard, 1/4" birch plywood will be cut and these will be buttoned up and leathered later today.

Purple-Days,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
I'm struggling with the transition from DBV to PD so have been trawling here today for tips on getting used to the PD.

So far I have:

1. Don't draw to hard. Do it light and slow.
2. Don't pack too tightly.
3. Removing the clip can give a little more air flow through the stem.
4. Maybe use a koozie (or sock) to raise the temp a little until the PD has settled in to its temp.

Any tips I have missed? :)

nuvap,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
nuvap said:
I'm struggling with the transition from DBV to PD so have been trawling here today for tips on getting used to the PD.

So far I have:

4. Maybe use a koozie (or sock) to raise the temp a little until the PD has settled in to its temp.

I went through a transition from the SSV to the PD and found it easy and intuitive but here's my thoughts maybe to help you along the way.
Don't fuck with the clip, just leave everything as is.
Make sure your material is DRY and finely ground.
When i say DRY basically take a bud out, put it on a little plate or something and put the plate or whatever on top of the cable box, something that's a free heat source like that.
Leave it overnight like that. Then grind it.
Don't pack the bud in the stem - use like a straw inhalation to get the bud in there and don't pack the stem, just tap it a few times with your finger.
Try different inhalation approaches - if you start to hear a slight whistle that is the cut off point for inhalation intensity.
That is pretty much it....also make sure the unit is on for 45 minutes at least.

what seems to be the problem?
Oh also - don't mess with the koozie, not necessary. Could potentially cause damage.

jeffp,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
Cheers for the info. The main problem at the moment is I am used to the free flowing DBV and feel I am going to burst a blood vessel trying to draw the much more restricted PD. I am also finding that after I 'finish' a bowl the ABV is still a bit too green compared to what I get from the DBV.

I believe that is it purely down to the technique at this point, which is why I was looking for pointers.

nuvap,

Gunky

Just play with it for a while. Resist the urge to suck hard. At some point, when you are not really paying attention, you will find yourself working out some method which yields a thick hit.

Gunky,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
It's not that restricted. I think you're putting too much in the stem.
Try putting half of what you're putting in, even if the bud doesn't reach the top of the stem.
Start with less and work your way only slightly up if at all. Less is more.
How does the stem draw when it's empty?
It shouldn't be that different when it's filled - a little tighter, that's it.

jeffp,

lwien

nuvap said:
...feel I am going to burst a blood vessel trying to draw the much more restricted PD.

That's 'cause you're sucking too hard.

Try this.

Rather than sucking like you would through a straw, try drawing directly into your lungs with a VERY, VERY slow looong draw. When I mean slow, I mean like you are barely breathing in.

lwien,

Nycdeisel

nuvap said:

So far I have:

I had tha same transition and it was pretty rough for me but I got through it. The most important thing I found to keep in mind is the amount I load and how many hits I get, a packed PD stem will yield 3-5 hits.
Practice experimenting with your loading and drawing technique.

Nycdeisel,

weedemon

enthusiast
Cleanfiend said:
Sometimes, I find myself going to the PD website just to listen to 'Drizzle' and the other recordings. Good tune!

haha me too! but it's to go and look at the units and accessories page.

I like the tune also though.

Does anyone own the Clear dome guys glass bubbler system? or the standard dry all glass stem unit? I's sure the standard #5 PP ones are fine, but CD advertised his as "better"?

how do they compare? I already own a small glass bong, so I'm thinking just get a whip ripper and then invert the PD unit. is the bubbling stem unit worth it?

weedemon,

Purple-Days

The harder you draw the more the load packs and restricts airflow. At some point you could hook the Hoover up and get nothing at all. Also the faster the air flows, the less time it has to pick up heat, so a light load and too fast a draw can cause low air temps. At some point we all (including me and Pammy ) spend a bit of time learning how to use this type system. You can also use your mouth to create suction like a milk shake through a straw, experiment and slow down (the draw) as others have said.

Here is an evening shot of the same workbench. Leather on and first rough trim... Overnight glue dry and 10 will go on to finishing tomorrow.

332tftd.jpg

Blame Pammy for the calender :cool: , every year, she forces me to hang one up in the shop. :D

Yes, the purple leather is a bit light before I put on our Buzz-Butter finish. Like any oil, or wax, it will darken the leather.

9hl01u.jpg

Thanks for saying something about the tunes folks, blame Pammy for that too. ;)

Purple-Days,

weedemon

enthusiast
you are making nice progress then! I know it must be a lot of work since you make every single one yourself, but at the same time I like knowing it's a guy with great skill actually making it for me, not just some other dude like me working a production line doing it. i'll bet you have it down to a science by now haha.

I have ordered the Bison bottom, but those purple ones look damned nice too! they just look so classy!

i'm glad i have other vapes to keep me busy until this one is ready!

weedemon,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
Thanks for all the hints and tips... gotta love this forum for that. :peace:

I'm also loving the work-in-progress pics from Tom. Keep 'em coming.

nuvap,

snoope

Gate Keeper
Hey guys, I purchased a purple days a few months ago and love it (upgrade from my vapor brothers). Last night however after picking up my unit (i leave it on 24/7) I noticed that it was not hot. I changed outlets to no avail and when plugging the dc adapter into the defuser I do see a spark so i assume the power jack is functioning.

I do hear a bit of a rattle inside the unit like a big metal piece is moving around a bit. I see on the website about some type of heat exchanger retaining clip that might have been dislodged? The metal ring on the inside of the is still in place so im not sure if that is what is being refered to.

If anyone has any tips for me that would be great, If possible I would like to fix it myself.

snoope,

Purple-Days

Snoope, your unit was shipped with a wooden dowel (tool) in the top of the unit and wrapped around the unit was an explanation of that tool and a picture of it. If you have lost these, request them by e-mail. lIf you drop the unit and it lands on it's top you can dislodge the retaining clip, you must re-seat the clip after you dislodge it. Follow the instructions.

Unrelated to the rattle is your power supply cord. That same sheet has troubleshooting instructions and describes the use of the car cord to check for what is giving you problems. ie. your wall power supply cord. If the cord is broken at the plug you can have intermittent power depending on which way you bend the wire.

You say, "so i assume", don't assume :2c: , do the troubleshooting and re-seat the clip as the instructions directed.

+++

Was planning to get ten of those units out today and told a couple of folks they would ship, but Pammy's good friend is very ill and Pammy is taking her to the hospital. Not likely she will be home before the post office closes, so things that would have shipped today will go tomorrow.

Purple-Days,

snoope

Gate Keeper
Hey Tom thanks for the quick reply, After a bit of fumbling around it seems to have stopped the rattling noise and locked whatever it was in place before I got a chance to use the tool (tbh im not sure how i fixed it haha). I am guessing that the rattle was from the heat exchanger that got rattled loose? The unit is heating up now and next time ill know what to do to fix it. :)

Again I just want to thank Tom and Pammy for the great product and support!

snoope,

Purple-Days

Snoope, the rattle and the intermittent heating are unrelated and what you describe is a broken power cord or plug. Works, then doesn't, then works again... You will move that cord and find that the unit isn't heating once again (at some point). Unless you had the plug partially not inserted when you first encountered the no heat issue, you likely have a busted cord or plug.

And use that tool to tighten up the clip, leaving a heat exchanger loose will damage the wooden hole it sits in.

Now back to work. :whip:

Purple-Days,

snoope

Gate Keeper
Tom Id have to agree with you, moments after replying I found it starting to cool down again. I think a run to radio shack is in order for a new power supply. Come to think of it its always had a bit of a rattle to it :lol:

++

just to clarify the clip your referring to is the rod that goes though the air hole or the ring around the outside? A light tap with a hammer with the wooden tool provided should be enough to seat it?

++ Update

Thanks Tom, went to radio shack before I saw your post and sure enough they had the wrong one. Ill go ahead and order the Jameco 10081. My buddy did a test and we found that the end plug was causing the issue.

Thanks again!

snoope,

Purple-Days

I wouldn't go to Radio Shack for a power supply. Voltage controls temperature and some of those variable voltage supplies don't seem adequate.

Jameco.com Part #10081 ... 2 for about $27 delivered.

Radio Shack has a repair tip 2 for $2.99 http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103614 if you solder or over at Myrtlezap they sell a cord repair kit.

Stick with the original equipment transformer for best results, either repair yours or get a Jameco 10081 is the best route.

And the clip is the plated c shaped ring, put the unit on a SOLID surface and hit the tool hard. Contact us if you need further help.

Purple-Days,

Nycdeisel

Snoope: just from my own experience, you may need a couple wacks to get it back into place, dont be TOO afraid of hitting it since the man who makes em just said
Purple-Days said:
put the unit on a SOLID surface and hit the tool hard. Contact us if you need further help.

Tom is always right :p

Nycdeisel,

Purple-Days

Tom is not always right, and knows it. ;) That's part of troubleshooting, knowing that there are always variables, and knowing that it's logic that wears them down. Occam's Razor??? Always a path of least resistance, but not always the right path... :cool:

sb11cw.jpg

Purple-Days,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
When I look at that picture I see myself making a bunch if deformed tips, losing a portion of a finger or two, and giving up. :lol:

Very cool. :tup:

Progress,
Top Bottom