Purple Days - The tips and tricks

Frickr

found out a new way to smoke keif in the pd. put the keif in the palm of your hand and take your finger and rub it around causing some friction and you will be left with a bunch of little hashballs, suck these up and vape! worked extremely well for me, a pure clean taste, and one hell of a high!

Frickr,

CrazyCracker

Purple-Days said:
I believe the Vapolution uses a 2.5mm x 5.5mm plug. The PD uses a 2.1mm x 5.5mm plug. A loose fit...

It is generally reported that the PD (from a pre-heated start) will last about 80-90 minutes on this pack. Not worth the effort or bucks IMO. You can get a Vapor Ggenie for less and be in the woods as long as your lighter holds out. :2c:
Thanks for the info. :peace:

CrazyCracker,

t00fatt

That vapolution pack is just a simple AA NiHM 10 cell pack(could be Ni-Cad though, which have much less capacity, but live for deep cycling) , which is a bit over 12v when fully charged. NiHm packs are extremely common in the RC industry, many electrics are still using NiHM packs even though LiPo's are where it's at right now. 10 cell Nihm packs can be a little harder to find and bit pricey. But 6v 5 cell packs are very common and dirt cheap, can get two 6v packs from my favorite seller for about $25. And they are good batteries, have been using them in my boats for a year and half now.

The batteries I'm thinking about using are THESE, because they are dirt cheap and have proven themselves to me. I'd then take both packs and wire them in parallel, then shrink wrap them together into a single unit, and solder on a M female plug. And presto you have a $20 10 cell AA pack. Each 6v pack is rated for 2500mah, but I've found they really are 2000mah. Both packs together will give you 4000mah, which should give you almost 4 hours of vape time, realistically 2 to 3 hours.

This is real cheap for me to do because I already have a charger capable of charging 10 cells. If you don't have a charger, I wouldn't get one that is capable of 10 cells, not many are and they're expensive. You can get a good inexpensive charger for $30 that is capable for 4-8 cells, then just charge the packs separately.

The PD was never designed or intended to be a portable vape, and any power source you take with you is going to be relatively bulky and heavy. That is unless you invested in a lipo balancer/charger and were to use 4cell lipos. I'm really only thinking about doing this because every Saturday I'm at the club lake with my boats and the club guys. Its sucks having to go back to my car to vape a couple stems. With the battery pack I could bring it out of the car and hang with the guys while I vape a few, then take it back and plug it into my car's battery.

t00fatt,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
I did alot of thinking on a pd battery awhile ago but never acted on anything.. heres what i was going to do:

String together a bunch of 18650 lipo cells, make 4 packs of 4 batteries, each pack will be 14.4 v at 2500 mah.. slap the 4 packs together in series and you have a 14.4 v 10,000 mah pack.

Throw a 12 volt regulator on the pack and some protection circuitry if the cells are not already protected.. and BAM.

A battery the size of 16 AA batteries that should last at least 7 hours.

The problem with making a pack at 12 volts is that as the pack discharges it loses volts and thus will lose heat.

Lemme know what you think.. id love to see one of these made.

Survivalism,

t00fatt

Well in addition to the high cost of LiPos, they should be considered dangerous and take extreme caution when charging. Not much of an issue for anyone familiar with LiPo's, but I'm not sure I'd recommend the general population to mess with large lipo packs.

t00fatt,

t00fatt

I'm not at all familiar with LiPos, have ever only messed with gas and nitro. If your going to do that, you would be much better off with stringing a few real 4 cell lipos. Each 4s pack will give you about 5000mah. Luckily you wouldn't need a high discharge pack, so that makes the pack much cheaper. Don't know much about it, but THIS pack is definitely overrated, but if you run a couple of them in parallel will give you a lot of time to work with. It would still be a big bulky power source, and you could never fully discharge them. LiPos drop off in voltage rapidly when running out of juice, so you would also have to monitor voltage and cut it off before your get below whatever the cut off is for a 4s lipo. And you should always aboid hitting that cutoff voltage, everytime you do you put a lot of wear on the battery.

t00fatt,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
An alternative battery to LiPo is the LiFePo4 type, such as A123Systems. That hobby website has these:

GENUINE A123 Systems 26650A LiFePo4 Cell w/ tabs
http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/stor...UINE_A123_Systems_26650A_LiFePo4_Cell_w/_tabs

These batteries don't overheat or explode when charging. They last 5 to 10 times longer (charge cycles) than typical LiPo and cells can fast charge (15 min at 10A). i've got several 2-cell packs that have gone through at least 100 charge/discharge cycles with no decrease in performance (that i can detect).

i love these batteries. i'm getting my Tesla sports car one battery at a time.

Hippie Dickie,

t00fatt

Yeah I have heard great things about people using LiFeP04s as receiver batteries, actually forget about them as they are still relatively new. Don't think they have insanely high discharge like LiPos, but we don't need high discharge so these may be the ticket for the lightest and most capacity. Do you need a special charger, and do they have to be balanced like lipos?

t00fatt,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
High discharge? --- how about 120 amp discharge (10 seconds) or 60 amps continuous -- per cell!

Definitely need a special charger (CCCV at 3.6v) for about $50. And yes a pack needs to be balanced.

However, i keep my two cell packs as separate batteries. One of the first things to go (after several dozen recharges) is the flimsy balancing wire. Now, i just charge each cell individually - more versatile and eliminates the balancing wire.

Hippie Dickie,

t00fatt

Oh didn't know that, thought maybe that was what was holding it back from gaining more popularity. But then I really don't know anyone interested in electric, and the only lipos I mess with are for my ultra micro helis. What's the capacity rating on that 2s? Didn't see one listed, hopefully its pretty high for that price.

t00fatt,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
each cell is 2300 mAh at 3.3V @ 70 grams -- kind of heavy, which makes including them in a hand held vape a no-go -- i tried it.

Hippie Dickie,

t00fatt

Hippie Dickie said:
each cell is 2300 mAh at 3.3V @ 70 grams -- kind of heavy, which makes including them in a hand held vape a no-go -- i tried it.
That isn't too much heavier than lipos though right? Have never even held a big lipo pack, minus the 150mah packs I use with my micro helicopters. What do you use those cells for, RC? One of the 2s would make a real nice RX battery, just would need a 6v regulator.

t00fatt,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Currently, i use 2 cells in series to power my Bud Toaster vaporizer. The vape heater pulls 12 amps when on. Nothing else can do the job i want and still be portable.

Hippie Dickie,

RandomNumber

Hello FC! First post, and I am wondering if you can help me out here. I've searched for some answers, but haven't really found it what I'm looking for.

So this week I received my PD in the mail and from what I can tell, it is a truly fantastic product, but I think I can get more out of it if I improve my 'technique.' This is my first vape, and I'd like to use it to its potential. Right now, I break it up with my fingers to get it pretty fine, suck it up using the straw method until it's about 3/4 full, let it warm for a few seconds, and then take slow, long hits. It works pretty well, but I think I've seen videos of people getting "more" out of it.

There are a couple problems, though. I heard the PD averages about .025g per bowl (40 per gram), but after ~15-20, I was out! Not sure why this was since it was never packed too tight as far as I can tell. Also, a lot of material falls out of the stem and into the PD body, which is something I'd like to avoid.

Any tips you could offer me?

RandomNumber,

max

Out to lunch
RandomNumber said:
I heard the PD averages about .025g per bowl (40 per gram), but after ~15-20, I was out!
Not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean you couldn't continue with your vaping session after vaping 15-20 bowls? I've been using a PD as long as anyone here (except Tom), and personally, I can't imagine trying to get through 15-20 bowls with decent herb. Many nights during the work week I'm done after a few bowls. It's built for efficiency, not vaping large amounts. One of the best features of the vape is that it provides measured doses, and after a few bowls a lot of users decide that they've had enough, at least for a while.

a lot of material falls out of the stem and into the PD body, which is something I'd like to avoid.
If you're sucking up your loads, and they're only 3/4 filled, of course you're gonna lose some down the hole, especially if you're not holding the vapor tube in an upward position on the first hit. Sucking it up makes for a loose load a lot of times. You need to load enough so you can pack it (lightly anyway) and then use your first hit to seal the end of your bowl. You're gonna lose some crumbs down the hole. No way to avoid it completely, but if you load, lightly pack, and seal with the 1st hit, you won't lose much.

max,

lwien

RandomNumber said:
ks pretty well, but I think I've seen videos of people getting "more" out of it.

There are a couple problems, though. I heard the PD averages about .025g per bowl (40 per gram), but after ~15-20, I was out!
15 to 20 bowls in one session? I think my lungs would collapse, and my head would cave in. :o

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Max is right. Also try not holding the tube upright especially if you're sucking in the material per load. I have great success hand stuffing each load and I tend to hold the unit at a right angle between hits if the tube is connected, if you know what I'm saying. Gravity does exist even though it might not seem that way especially if you're vaping sour diesel. Good luck and welcome.
PS - you are drying and grinding material before vaping, right?

jeffp,

RandomNumber

max said:
RandomNumber said:
I heard the PD averages about .025g per bowl (40 per gram), but after ~15-20, I was out!
Not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean you couldn't continue with your vaping session after vaping 15-20 bowls?
Whoops, I meant that my 1 gram supply ran out (over the course of a few days, with a couple friends) after 15-20 stems.

jeffp said:
PS - you are drying and grinding material before vaping, right?
I've been breaking it up with my fingers and I can get it pretty fine. I guess I could pick up a grinder. As for drying, just let it sit out in the open for an hour?

RandomNumber,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
random - no, drying is a little more extensive. do this - before grinding or breaking it up put some material in a shotglass and put the shotglass on top of the PD and forget about it for a few hours.
or, put some material on a small glass plate and put the plate on top of a lamp - like maybe the lamp fixture you might have in your bathroom, etc.
again, forget about it for a few hours.
Then you're ready to start vaping. If you don't have a grinder snip away at it with a manicuring scissor, or if you have a mortar and pestle smash at it and stop before it gets powdery.

jeffp,

Hobbes2

Has anyone tried a portable power supply, or something like it? I'm going to get a larger battery power supply for camping, Something that will last for a couple of days. Even a small one like this should last a few hours.

24512.jpg

http://www.campmor.com/eureka-e-pow...ml?srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=18-49715620-2

:peace:

Hobbes2,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Whoops, I meant that my 1 gram supply ran out (over the course of a few days, with a couple friends) after 15-20 stems.
I personally believe the 0.025g is WAYYYYY off. It's at least 0.05 (nice and full) to 0.1 (MAX, heavy bud, packed super tight) . I know the 0.025g figure gets thrown around a lot, but there is absolutely no way I could get 40 bowls to 1 gram, no way. 15- 20 is exactly what I get packing nice thick bowls.

I've been breaking it up with my fingers and I can get it pretty fine. I guess I could pick up a grinder. As for drying, just let it sit out in the open for an hour?
Go to the stationery/newsagent and buy a pair of scissors.

Nobody in Australia has a grinder, 2 minutes with a bowl and scissors and it's as fine as sand.

I'm going to get a larger battery power supply for camping
I'm moving off the grid in ~3 months, deep cycle batteries are cheap (well cheap for what they provide) and are amazing with all appliances, something like the PD that draws 8 watts is childsplay and the smallest of deep cycle batteries will provide a 100% experience.

Chubba,

lwien

Chubba said:
I personally believe the 0.025g is WAYYYYY off. It's at least 0.05 (nice and full) to 0.1 (MAX, heavy bud, packed super tight) . I know the 0.025g figure gets thrown around a lot, but there is absolutely no way I could get 40 bowls to 1 gram, no way. 15- 20 is exactly what I get packing nice thick bowls.
Not off for me. I don't pack super tight. Just use the suck method and then level it off with my finger. 0.025g is about right for me. Weighed three separate bowls on three separate occasions. I vape a bowl every single night and a gram lasts me over a month.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
Since I've done quite a bit of testing with high quality scales (accurate to .01g), I can assure you that it's a very accurate average load for a fine to medium grind. You can get .05g loaded, but that's with a very fine grind and tightly packed-tighter than I like to load for a good draw. With powdery herb, you could probably cram in .07, but that would be a less than useful load for reasonable vaping. Using sticky bud, it's quite easy to load .01g bowls with the straw method and have a securely loaded bowl. This has all been documented in the PD thread, so the .025 figure that's been thrown around a lot is far more accurate than your guesswork.

But I will say that not all vapor tubes have the same depth down to the screen, and there is so much variance in the consistency/dryness of herb, as far as how fine the particles are, that discussing how much is in one bowl, or how many bowls to a gram, is a big waste of time. It's not as pointless as discussing how many hits you can get from a whip bowl, but it's not worth counting PD bowls to get to a gram either.

max,
Top Bottom