Purple Days - The tips and tricks

manchild

Vapourist
22 stems to a gram.

High grade Australian stuff (probably low grade US!) once through a 4pce grinder then a few shakes in an electric coffee grinder. Still fairly moist due to high humidity.

Straw method then knock the excess off to level out with end of stem. (usually sneak a dab of keif on the end too!)

2 very thick pulls, 1 alright then 1-3 shitty little pulls.

I do struggle to pull on a tightly packed stem :o

manchild,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
See that is what makes us all different. If I do it Chubba's way, I would have quit vaporizing long ago because that way absolutely is not enjoyable at all for me. Getting ripped is more of a chore that way than the enjoyable relaxing experience that it should be.
It's all just preference, we can agree on that?

I'm an athlete, MMA fighter, I was state cross country champion during highschool, I'm 23 and have big bong smoking lungs... I only do 3 stems a day, so I don't mind sucking with the force of a vaccum cleaner, I like them super THICK hits.

Anytime I introduce someone to the PD, I guide them through a very light straw suck with a level off, no overpacking... because I know their lungs can't (or don't want to) handle the beating of going puckered face on a PD bowl... that's something that could potentially turn someone off vaporizing.

I think the 0.025 stat that gets thrown around is at the ABSOLUTE lowest end, that's a lightly sucked bowl with a straight level off.... not tight, no overpacking in the slightest. 0.05 is at the upper end of the spectrum, super fine and overpacked.

I've done the 0.025 bowls, the airflow is AMAZING and so effortless, very loud whistle, but I got family members in my house and don't have the luxury of "relaxing", so I pack them super tight and pull like mofo... get that shit into my system then pack everything way. You can dig?

2 very thick pulls, 1 alright then 1-3 shitty little pulls.
I just make sure I do 2 REALLY good pulls, a 3rd one for good measure.

Sometimes I hit the 4th/5th/6th+, but in reality, I often blow out a stem after the 2nd hit and justify it as "well, I got the majority of it anyway".

Chubba,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I usually get about 3 pretty good hits and then just call it ABV. I have tried more and can get those 4th-6th hits as well but... I like to save the leftovers for experimentation :D

Lo,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Chubba said:
I'm an athlete, MMA fighter, I was state cross country champion during highschool, I'm 23 and have big bong smoking lungs...
okay now I'm jealous.

DeepFried,

Purple-Days

I don't use my lungs (to draw). Wouldn't enjoy it. Some folks can't do it.

And you don't have to do it that way...

Someone called it the Sherlock Method. Milkshake suck and inhale, like working a Sherlock Holmes Calabash pipe. ;) Suits my grazing style anyway.

Now, if you have 23 year old athletic lungs, sure... a diaphram draw is great.

Purple-Days,

hopandstop

Does anyone else slowly rotate their tubes when using the PD?

Not saying it does anything more than other methods, but I've found it gets me a few extra hits. Sure, each method is different but this is a drastic (physical) move and may be have a positive effect in the heating. Again, not too sure, but gathered from my experience.

Edit: I typically use bowls filled to about 75% capacity, sometimes more or less, but usually that.

hopandstop,

Lo

I ALWAYS rotate the tube and found it helps things along. I think it was a post by Lwein that made me try, never stopped after trying it :peace:

Lo,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I'm one of those who gets a sore throat when using a vape with a short vapor path such as the PD or II. I just cut enough tubing off my ssv tubing to triple the total vapor path. It fits snugly on the PD stem (I used one of my old rounded ones, not my newer stem with the 'innie'). I just tried it for the first time and it made the vapor much cooler. I'll probably use it all the time now. Also, it makes for a more relaxed hit as I don't have to hold it up to my mouth...it can rest in my lap.

Edit: Used it with the tubing again that night and no sore throat that night or the next day! If you are having sore throat issues, I highly recommend it.

stickstones,

Melizzard

luchiano said:
Instead of taking slow hits, take puffs and hols them in your mouth until your mouth is full, swallow the vapor, and then inhale deeply with your nose until lungs are full.
How does one 'swallow' vapor? I haven't been able to figure out this method.

Melissa

Melizzard,

Melizzard

Purple-Days said:
I don't use my lungs (to draw). Wouldn't enjoy it. Some folks can't do it.

And you don't have to do it that way...

Someone called it the Sherlock Method. Milkshake suck and inhale, like working a Sherlock Holmes Calabash pipe. ;) Suits my grazing style anyway.

Now, if you have 23 year old athletic lungs, sure... a diaphram draw is great.
Yeah, I'm doing well to get a good 10-second inhale on my PD. So, do you just do a short inhale or do you do as long as you can? Trying to figure out the best technique, cuz I don't think I've found it yet.

Melissa

Melizzard,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Melizzard said:
luchiano said:
Instead of taking slow hits, take puffs and hols them in your mouth until your mouth is full, swallow the vapor, and then inhale deeply with your nose until lungs are full.
How does one 'swallow' vapor? I haven't been able to figure out this method.

Melissa
By swallow I think it is mean bring what is in your mouth into your lungs, followed by an inhale through the nose too drive the vapor home

DevoTheStrange,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Chubba said:
I'm an athlete, MMA fighter, I was state cross country champion during highschool, I'm 23 and have big bong smoking lungs... I only do 3 stems a day, so I don't mind sucking with the force of a vaccum cleaner, I like them super THICK hits.
Holy shit Nick Diaz posts here! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:lol:

AGBeer,

Lo

No...mine has lemon/grapefruit/lime oil residue so.... I have heard of many who put the herb into a shotglass on top of their PD to dry though :)

Lo,

Choism

AGBeer said:
Chubba said:
Holy shit Nick Diaz posts here! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:lol:
Great win last night, Nick! :D

Choism,

shantytown007

Here's my PD test:

Blend: Generic KB (approx 14$/g), ground in a Mendo Mulcher, agitated approx. 30s for Keef, and dried overnight w/ no heat. Final result is 80% coarse ground, 15% fine, 5% dust (eyeballed, not properly measured).

Amount: .5g

Load: 'Outie' Straw, brush finger lightly over rim to knock off stalactites, then press down and twist on finger tip (lighter than a compress pack). Generally there is a 1-3 mm space between the end of the blend and the end of the loading chamber.

Raw Data:

2:00 xxx
2:10 xxx
2:22 xxx
2:31 xxxx
2:38 xxx/
3:06 xx/
3:15 xxx
3:41 xxxx
3:47 xxx
4:14 xxxx
5:46 xxx/
5:52 xxx
5:57 xxx
6:47 xxx/
6:50 xxx
7:49 xxxx
8:03 xxxxx

Total Stems: 17
Total Hits: 58
Average size: 0.029g
Stems/Gram: 34
Hits/Gram: 116
Stems/Ounce: 952
Hits/Ounce: 3248

If I remember, I'l do the test again tomorrow with tightly packed stems. (Edit: I tried and failed, kept losing count) Man, this was a heck of a lot harder than the '1 gram bong rip' test.

shantytown007,

CrazyFingers

sterv said:
does anyone put ground bud into the aromatherapy diffuser to dry it out?
If anyone has a 4 piece grinder, what I do is take the bottom kief tray off and let it sit on top so the heat comes through the screen and helps speed up drying. just spread the herb evenly over the screen.

CrazyFingers,

Gink

Only been using the PD a few days. First vape, so learning it all as I go here.

I'm not a heavy user, so I haven't been packing real tight, but I've been blowing out the tube after I get the definite popcorn taste. I'm amazed by how little I need to use, but I'm noticing some decently green stuff left in the ABV. Normal? Or am I under vaping? Or is my grind just not fine enough? I've just been running it through a 4 piece grinder, don't really want to mess with a coffee grinder in addition. Maybe I should scissor it a bit after grinding it?

Also, does it matter when you dry the bud? Before or after grinding? I've been grinding it, then drying it, though I haven't found a great location/method for drying, so don't think I've hit the optimal dryness yet. If I dried it before grinding would it grind finer in the 4 part grinder?

Gink,
I was wondering when the PD will be available again , it has been 6 months now of it not being available

BcBud420,

Gink

BcBud420 said:
I was wondering when the PD will be available again , it has been 6 months now of it not being available
That'd be a better question for the Purple-Days Availability thread. You could always consider the Pandora kit and build your own custom PD. I ordered mine a little over 3 weeks ago and got it Tuesday. Wasn't hard to put together.

Gink,

lwien

Gink said:
Only been using the PD a few days. First vape, so learning it all as I go here.

I'm not a heavy user, so I haven't been packing real tight, but I've been blowing out the tube after I get the definite popcorn taste. I'm amazed by how little I need to use, but I'm noticing some decently green stuff left in the ABV. Normal? Or am I under vaping? Or is my grind just not fine enough? I've just been running it through a 4 piece grinder, don't really want to mess with a coffee grinder in addition. Maybe I should scissor it a bit after grinding it?

Also, does it matter when you dry the bud? Before or after grinding? I've been grinding it, then drying it, though I haven't found a great location/method for drying, so don't think I've hit the optimal dryness yet. If I dried it before grinding would it grind finer in the 4 part grinder?
I've had my PD's for over a year now, and I've found that a 4pc just didn't grind it fine enough unless I turned it upside down so the bud could be ground without falling through the holes, but it was a bit of a hassle and I had an issue of the teeth sometimes hitting each other, to which I attributed to being that the grinder was a bit less rigid without the bottom piece attached, so...........I've been using a 2pc and it's working out great. Much finer and consistent grind. Also, make sure your bud isn't too sticky moist, before the grind. A bit on the dry side works well, but not mandatory. I'll take 3 hits and then dump the abv into my hand and crumble up between fingers and reload for another 2 hits. No green bud after that.

lwien,

Gink

Thanks for the tips lwien. I'll try drying a bud before grinding it, see if that helps. I like my grinder, so hopefully I can find a way to get it to do the job. Crumbling it by hand once it is partly vaped sounds like it'll work well to uncover and rearrange the surface area, I'll give that a go too.

Gink,

Purple-Days

I only use two piece grinders for the same reasons Lwien suggests, and other reasons too. And we always dry the tobacco (if we have that luxury) on a dinner plate, overnight. The top rear of a reeferigerator is warm and the circulating air makes the job go quickly. The top of an old style TV (not flat screen) is another good moderate heat source and the draft and warmer temps make for even quicker work. Then after drying you can get a better grind. But, it still has a good bit of cellular moisture and is not really dry. Another round of drying, after the first dry, and grind, then a second light grind, to get the best consistency, is a long time practice around here.

Another tip that gets left behind is a 5-10 second fresh bowl pre-heat. Let the bowl of the stainless tube pre-heat in the heat exchanger for 5-10 seconds before the first draw, and don't remove the tube between draws. The bowl stays below vape temps if air is not being drawn (and it doesn't 'chimney out'), I have had active vapor after 36 hours of a tube being left in place.

Draw speed affects temps but it's what works for you too. Adjust as needed.

Oh and re-grinding ABV works too. As you popint out it exposes new surface area. Any science major will tell you surface area is it, man.

:2c::)

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom