Purple Days - The tips and tricks

redabob

bobader
:peace: Hey guys, as already of you know there is another thread that houses an entire discussion about purple days, spanning almost 70 pages so far. The topics and questions in that thread may divert the discussion in many ways that it becomes really difficult in the end to try and trace the important bits and pieces of advice given by the many members.

So I've decided to create a new thread to try and have these tips and tricks gathered into one placefor other members to access.

Something that I've noted. Aside from a high grade dry herb, when using kief, does anyone notice that the blows from the PD goes from an average 2-3 (using dry herb) to a whopping 8-10? or am I just overburning the kief the whole time not noticing anything?

redabob,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
So I've decided to create a new thread to try and have these tips and tricks gathered into one placefor other members to access.
Cool idea. Are you going to gather them? :lol: I'd be willing to go through 10 pages... maybe we can collaborate on something.

when using kief, does anyone notice that the blows from the PD goes from an average 2-3 (using dry herb) to a whopping 8-10? or am I just overburning the kief
The addition of concentrates definitely results in more vapor. :brow: Don't think you can burn it in the PD.

vtac,

Purple-Days

To answer the kief question Red, we are 'boiling' THC, It's like boiling water the more there is in the pan the longer it will take to evaporate the contents.

Yeah, that thread has become way too much for someone to get through, it seems... I thought of Indexing it and posting the index in the first post, but I really can't find the time to read and organize such a thing with the busy schedule I have. I started to do it, but... :/
Tips and tricks sounds like a good spin-off.

Tip one. Dry the material. I use excess heat from my TV set, a metal plate with the material spread out will dry in a few hours. Others get free heat from a water heater or the top of a fridge, or over a light fixture, or even turning the unit upside down over the Billiy-Bowl with some ground material in it... Drying makes grinding much easier and grinding exposes more surface area, giving better results.

Tip two. And this is one I have recently become a convert to, letting the stem warm a few seconds, or longer, before the draw, is another tech that I am liking. While this is a convection vape, the conduction of heat into the walls of the vapor tube, has some effect and makes the draw start heavier from the beginning.

Edit: Heavier draws at the start... vs. a range of flavor as you quickly come up from cool material to the final vapeor zone. Trade-off and personal preference. If you like flavor I side on the 'pre-puff', stronger flow, get it hot to start. Just came back from washing a full load of dishes (by hand) and left a stem in. must have been 25 minutes and a least draw #2... woot as some might say... :o I think I like the pre-heat, Thanks AofZ and others.

Tip three. Use Buzz-Butter to clean and polish the units exterior, but keep it away from the metal parts, it isn't so pleasant to vape, non-toxic but no fun. Pammy found that one out. She gets over zealous with the stuff sometimes. Live and learn.

4. Use rot-gut (full strength, but cheap-o stuff) vodka, gin or bourbon in the purple wash bottle to clean the tubes (iso works too), aggitation helps after an overnight soak... Sometimes it takes a second soak and shake, depends on factorts,,,) The sticky stuff that makes things clog is alcohol soluble. Clean tubes work best.

I'll let you guys carry on because everyone seems to find new and different ways to do things.

Purple-Days,

redabob

bobader
Thanks guys for these great advice, I found the drying of the material tips great as well.

vtac, I am going to be grabbing them and arranging them into post sections. You have a single member giving out great advices but like 20-30 pages apart, things get little messy. Nevertheless, Ill be working forward onto getting them here.

Another Question for you PD users. I have 2 friends that keep on asking me this, but It was covered by a member or two quickly. When the stuff gets clogged, aftersay the 35th or 40th hit, I tried immersing it in a couple of liquids, starting with a cheap 24% vodka all the way till 44% gin. Does alcohol in itself help release whatever is clogging these ventillation holes (or whatever you all them)?

Sometimes I find it an effort washing it after a night of soaking, and blowing the warm water out of it, yet finding some hole still clogged. Is there any great liquid that would help get this little problem sorted out? I'm sure bourbon won't help much either. Also is it safe tackling these clogged holes with a toothpick? or am I risking of scratching the material and having it dangerously inhaled into my lungs? Sorry for such a very general question.

redabob,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Quick :2c:
Red - Sometimes I find it an effort washing it after a night of soaking, and blowing the warm water out of it, yet finding some hole still clogged. Is there any great liquid that would help get this little problem sorted out?
1) If you have a steady hand, take out the clips/screen with the tip of a push-pin.
2) If not, maybe try stronger alcohol (195 proof grain?) OR isopropyl alcohol

Hope this helps ;)

PS: Thanks in advance for your work (inks to great nuggets of info in the first post would be (like Tony the Tiger) Grrrrreat ! ! ! ! ) :lol: :rolleyes:

Progress,

luchiano

I don't have a PD but I think I have an idea that will give you thick vapors at once which will make the experience more "potent".

Instead of taking slow hits, take puffs and hols them in your mouth until your mouth is full, swallow the vapor, and then inhale deeply with your nose until lungs are full.

Then hold as long as you like the longer the better but when you exhale do it through the nose and slowly.

What you are doing by taking puffs instead of steady hits is pulsating the herb meaning that you are constantly changing the pressure inside the bowl and giving both sides(top & bottom) proper amounts of air allowing for better extraction all at once.

Inhaling through the nose allows the vapor to go deeper into the lungs as well as activate you parasympathetic nervous system which means a more relaxed high as well as the body absorbing more of the chemicals.

Exhaling through the nose allows for more chemicals to absorbed into the olfactory nerves allowing for them to get absorbed faster and deeper into the brain.

The PD is the best to use for this experiment because of the small length that the vapor will have to travel and therefore allowing a very concentrated vapor and strong effect.

Can someone do this experiment and let me know how it turns out?.

This video gives an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Tixpkv6io&feature=related

BTW, I got this idea from Clear_Dome and this thread.

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=344

luchiano,

Purple-Days

Another thing. (tip)

Hot stuff ejects easier. And this relates to any screen clogging issues too.

Seems that when heat hits the load it 'freezes' in place. Nice, cause it doesn't fall out, but sometimes a cool, yet spent, load seems stuck. Putting it to the heat for a bit seems to make things loosen and easy to blow free into the bag for later use (if any potency is left).

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
When the stuff gets clogged, aftersay the 35th or 40th hit, I tried immersing it in a couple of liquids, starting with a cheap 24% vodka all the way till 44% gin. Does alcohol in itself help release whatever is clogging these ventillation holes (or whatever you all them)?
I never experience any actual 'clogging' of the screen holes. I put the tube in the cleaning bottle with some ISO (booze is fine, but it is the alcohol that's the cleaning agent), let it soak for a while, then shake vigorously, remove, rinse and dry. I think cleaning the tubes on a regular basis, before a layer of gunk has time to adhere, makes it quick and easy.

Purple-Days said:
Hot stuff ejects easier.
Huge PD tip. ;) Blowing out a spent bowl as soon as it's finished (while still hot) is the best way to keep the bowl clean. And completely aside from cleaning, a hot bowl ejects with a little puff, while a cold load seems to be glued into the bowl by comparison.

max,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i dont even let my tube go that long before cleaning, usually ill use a tube 2 or 3 days then toss it in iso, let it soak until i have the next tube in there

edit: oh and maybe we could have a list of sizes for replacement parts, such as the aromatherapy cap, screens, screen clips, power cord plug, and tubing for the stems

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Purple-Days

Gladly,

The wrought, solid copper cups are available at any hardware and fit a 1/2" copper pipe.

Let me edit and add the other answers...
Screens are custom fit, but a steady hand and good eye will get you close enough with head-shop screen (stainless of course) scissors to cut and fit.

The clips are available at an AutoParts shop. I believe it;s .028" clip to fit a 1/4" bore. Spring steel and plated.

Anybody wanting to add tubing... the vapor stemis 1/2" OD and is cool to the touch so any food grade tube that fits. 3/8" ID Tygon will fit snug.

Power supply can be AC or DC output at 12Volts. Be sure to get a 1A (1000mA) rated supply... and the plug end is a DC Type M plug (2.1mm x 5.5mm) center positive or negative.

Purple-Days,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
a tip i picked up from hennessy about cutting the screens, when youre cutting them, cut them to the size of the clip, not the size of the vapor tube, it will insure a tighter fit so that less plant material will get past

i can make screens for 3 tubes out of one standard size stainless steel screen from a local headshop

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
If you have other vapes that can work on different temperatures, make sure that you put your PD duffed bowls in a separate container. they can usually be vaporized again at a lil hotter temp.

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
yup, i have two spice jars for duff, one labelled "PD'd" one labeled "VHW'd" the pd one has some schwag in it too that a frend said "here, you can have this for your cooking or whatever"

it may sound weird, but im looking forward to running my pd duff with the vhw

Acolyte of Zinglon,

redabob

bobader
Luchiano - Thats exactly what I do, my friends even call the trick the lavalamp effect LOL. Consecutive mouthful of drags, my langs can only last 4 mouthfulls though, on the 5th its either coughing time or one damn hit. Thank you so much for such a wonderful advice and for the great links.

Max and Tom: Wow :cool: I never knew that part, I usually have the clogging problem only if I left my bowl uncleaned on the table, it happens because I keep on moving around my home and office and forgetting all about it. Max I am going out right now to get the strongest iso there is, now I know that alcohol is the agent used in extracting them off the bowl's litle metallic net. Reason Im getting Iso is because even with a 44%alco Gin, I am finding it hard to get the stuff removed even when soaking it for priods up to 12 hours.

AoZ: Wow, amazing how one tube can last so long, you really take a good care of it I bet. I bur through 2 tubes a day, and I was counting how many hits I had, from 11am all the way till 3am (doing college assessments nonstop), I had 58 bowls, equaling 1.45g (my goodness, I love PD man), before passing out to sleep. I believe each stem can only withstand around 40 or so before they start to get clogged. But hangon a second, I vapoize anything from te driest middle eastern tobacco, to the kief and the herb, I'm just guessing that my heavy use of these things is whats causing me to clean them more often than usual. I wish I ordered 3 extra tubes (for 28 bucks only) when I got my PD, would be vaping the whole year no probs.

For the vaped up herb, Ive read that some people like to reuse it, but let me tell you that you can make some really mean cannabutter with that! ice trick for extracting the thc off the vaped up herb works out some wonders.

Thanks everyone for a great contributon

redabob,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
are we talking about the same thing? i use the same tube for 2 days of vaping, and then throw it in iso and get a fresh one and vape through it for 2 days etc.

the most i can make a bowl last is 30 minutes, and thats iff im just vaping to maintain a high

Acolyte of Zinglon,

redabob

bobader
AoZ I think we are talking on the same thing, just quoting what you said.

a tip i picked up from hennessy about cutting the screens, when youre cutting them, cut them to the size of the clip, not the size of the vapor tube, it will insure a tighter fit so that less plant material will get past
Were you talking about the little screen/net located in the stem itself? Also regarding the iso, I find it really amusing, never knew that iso was that strong, I will definately do the transition.

When you say iso, do you refer to Isopropyl alcohol ? :rolleyes:

redabob,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
yes im talking about the screen in the metal neck of the stem

iso means isopropyl alcohol yes, afte your iso turns a golden color you can evaporate it and recover the resin, its very nice unlike pipe resin because its just condensed vapor

Acolyte of Zinglon,

redabob

bobader
regarding the screen, was there ever a reason for you to have it replaced? I think its gets pretty technical from there, cutting the old screen, finding the right type and having it welded or something.

Edit: Just grabbed myself isocol, the only form of isopropyl alcohol around here that I was able to find. its 70% though and not 99% almost pure one that they use to clean electronics. Would that be a problem you reckon?

redabob,

ILoveRadiohead!

redabob said:
regarding the screen, was there ever a reason for you to have it replaced?
If you use a paper clip to stir and reload your bowl there is a chance you could push out the screen. However, you would have to use quite a bit of force to do that I would think. The other reason people have replaced the default screen is to use a lower density screen with bigger holes for increased airflow. Some people mention that this allows them to get even more efficiency and better draws. I would gander that this "mod" may just increase the margin of error in packing the PD stems just right or grinding the material to the right consistency as it is very easy to over pack with a fine grind.

redabob said:
I think its gets pretty technical from there, cutting the old screen, finding the right type and having it welded or something.
Not really that technical, all you need to do is get a stainless steel screen from a head shop and then cut a circle the same size as one of the 2 tension clips that hold it in place inside the metal tube. I haven't done it but I guess you can use a 1/4" wooden dowel to get the screen and tension clips in place.

redabob said:
Edit: Just grabbed myself isocol, the only form of isopropyl alcohol around here that I was able to find. its 70% though and not 99% almost pure one that they use to clean electronics. Would that be a problem you reckon?
70% will work just the same as 90% or 99% it will just take a bit longer to soak. I find that shaking the bottle helps speeding up the cleanup time. In fact I usually clean mine after every few sessions (usually vaping 3-4 bowls) for a half hour to an hour and that is more than enough to keep the tubes clean.

ILoveRadiohead!,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
redabob said:
I bur through 2 tubes a day, and I was counting how many hits I had, from 11am all the way till 3am (doing college assessments nonstop), I had 58 bowls, equaling 1.45g (my goodness, I love PD man), before passing out to sleep.
Are you saying you packed 58 PD bowls in 20 hours? I bowl every 20 minutes on average? And the total amount of weed consumed was 1.45g for the 58 bowls? That would be about $30 of good weed where I come from. Did I understand you correctly?

stickstones,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
stickstones said:
redabob said:
I bur through 2 tubes a day, and I was counting how many hits I had, from 11am all the way till 3am (doing college assessments nonstop), I had 58 bowls, equaling 1.45g (my goodness, I love PD man), before passing out to sleep.
Are you saying you packed 58 PD bowls in 20 hours? I bowl every 20 minutes on average? And the total amount of weed consumed was 1.45g for the 58 bowls? That would be about $30 of good weed where I come from. Did I understand you correctly?
he did used to smoke 10G's a week if i remember reading his old posts correctly :brow:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

redabob

bobader
;)
30 US dollars for 1.45g? are you for real? thing around here barely costs 4.5 USD a gram.

And yes, when I have accumilated work, I work for countless hours without a break. like the other day, I burned close to 58 bowls in 20 hours, thats an average of two bowls an hour. I used to 'smoke' more than all of this combined. Burned a pack of cig a whole day, and ended up with 4-5 J's each having a gram by itself, shared with friends. I made a little weekly reserve of herb where I put 10g, and it was gone by the end of the week back then.

With PD, I barely do that anymore to be honest. Burning 1.5G for that one whole day, and working for 20 hours, keeping the stress minimal the whole time till I close the office and go to bed, is really damn good for the standards I used to go after, which was alot to be honest. Herb was an investment back then.

If 1.5g ended up costing me 30 USD (58 AUD), I wont be able to afford it to be honest, I would quit herb all together and go back to drinking like I was doing for a couple of years. 30 USD will get me close to 3 six packs of the best brewed beer, for me and friends. I'm glad I switched to herb, alcohol free for 2 years and going.

redabob,

bongoman

redabob said:
Just grabbed myself isocol, the only form of isopropyl alcohol around here that I was able to find. its 70% though and not 99% almost pure one that they use to clean electronics. Would that be a problem you reckon?
Hey redabob, I gather you're in Australia, so you can get 99.7% isopropyl from Dick Smith Electronics. Depending on where you live, they're normally not too far away. It's great stuff for cleaning up anything to do with the herb. I even use it for a quick wash of vaped herb then evaporate it off.

bongoman,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
redabob...you're my hero! I've got kids around here, so I can only go through about 2 - 7 bowls a night after they go to bed. :(

stickstones,

redabob

bobader
Hey redabob, I gather you're in Australia, so you can get 99.7% isopropyl from Dick Smith Electronics. Depending on where you live, they're normally not too far away. It's great stuff for cleaning up anything to do with the herb. I even use it for a quick wash of vaped herb then evaporate it off.
I found it in dicksmith for around 18 USD for 250ml of 99% of that thing. Isocol costs 4 USD and its only 70% in concentration. I tried absolut vodka, gin, bourbon and isopropyl alcohol (99.7% purity), here is what I found out (some might find it helpful).

Cheapest vodka, low strength - 24% alcohol - 3 days for all holes to be unclogged
Absolut (40%) - 1.5 days for it to be (almost) visible again
Gin (44%) - 1.5 days for it (almost) visible again
Bourbon (45%) - 1 day for it to be visible (visibly outpreforms both vodka and Gin)
Isocol (70% Isopropyl Alcohol) - Takes 4 hours of soaking plus a couple of shakes in the end
Pure Iso (99.7) - 10 minutes with a couple of shakes and its as clear as new

I ended up finding 1 whole litre of that pure iso at a chemist (pharmacy for the US folks), and it was dead cheap selling for 12 bucks.

These are close estimates experimenting with different liquids. The pure Iso outpreforms them all, but it's also the one with the strongest smell, to the point that I even took it outside to the garden to be able to open its cap (smells like death man). However, if you fill that handy purple container (came with PD) with pure iso, It wouldn't be much of a problem due to its small size.

And oh boy was I wrong with this iso thing, it turns the stem back to brand new. :D

stickstones: hehe thx :) you should look forward for the weekend :D

redabob,
Top Bottom