Purple Days - The tips and tricks

Hobbes2

Anyone up for a bowls per gram test? Let's measure out 1 gram of bone dry ground bud and each report how many bowls we get, how many puffs per bowl, how tight the bowl is packed, etc. I've got a notebook on my desk, I'll make a note of each bowl because the memory will probably get sloppy as the test goes on.

I just got my PD a couple of days ago and didn't get it to work well until I found this thread Yesterday. Right now I'm just using the straw method for packing. I picked up a pack of wooden apple skewers at the grocery store for $2.99, fit the bowl just about perfect but I'm not comfortable packing in the bud yet.

Here's my gram of very dry Jilly Bean by MzJill (Subcool's friend).

2n08pqu.jpg

:peace:

Hobbes2,

t00fatt

Just weighed a sucked and lightly packed from the top with my finger stem, came out to 0.03. Don't know how accurate this scale is though, not even mine. Some coke head left it at my house years ago, don't even like this scale its tiny.

EDIT: And this bud got ground up a bit too much, and is crispy dry now its from the last little bit from my jar. Was a pretty tight bowl too.

t00fatt,

CrazyCracker

I used a half gram sample because I realized it would take to long with a full gram. Kinda average weed, 25 an 1/8th. I had it dried, chopped pretty fine and I pack my bowls fairly tight. Got 13 bowls from the .5 sample.

Average bowl size was .038462g (.5/13)
Averaged 3.30769 (43/13) large hits and 2.07092 (27/13) small hits per bowl.

Took me all day and I was high all day. :ko: I'm impressed.

CrazyCracker,

Hobbes2

I got 23 bowls from the gram in the picture above, but 6 - 12 puffs per bowl not 3. I used an electric grinder to chop the bud very fine, it probably packed much more tightly than a coarse grind.

Crazy Cracker is right, a gram takes forever. Much easier on the throat the Volcano, I'm feeling better already - my throat was raw from too much V.

How do you folks grind and puff? Do you find that coarse grinds work better or do you grind up fine? Do you use slow even draws or puffs like from a cigar?

thanks

Hobbes2,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I think how many bowls you can get out of a gram would not be an issue... but rather how many hits do you get off of said Gram. People pack their bowls differently. Someone might prefer a lightly packed bowl. Or a heavily packed bowl. I think the real test would be... How many hits did everyone get of a set amount. But then again this would only prove which persons strain had the highest amount of THC.
and even then, I am sure not all of us take our draws off the PD the same exact way.

DevoTheStrange,

CrazyCracker

Hobbes2 said:

How do you folks grind and puff? Do you find that coarse grinds work better or do you grind up fine? Do you use slow even draws or puffs like from a cigar?

I just cut up my herb with scissors in a small ceramic cup. Its fairly fine but not powder. To fine and I think its to hard to get the air flowing. I take slow even draws on the first few hits (big hits) and then puff it like I'm lighting a J for the remaining smaller hits.

CrazyCracker,

max

Out to lunch
I think the real test would be... How many hits did everyone get of a set amount.
I disagree and this is why-
I am sure not all of us take our draws off the PD the same exact way.
Even with the same exact herb, hit size will vary from one person to the next. One of my hits will be equal to three of my wife's.

max,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
that was my point, it is more likely people will get roughly the same amount of bowls out of 1g (with a certain amount of error). But how many hits are people getting... and I acknowledge that each person would get different results..
and there are also other factors as well, such as altitude and barometric pressure... I am sure I get more hits off of my PD than someone at a lower altitude. With the stuff that is normally sold around here, I can get on average 8-10 very large hits (or 6 hits using my Bong)... which is a bit more than the 3-5 other people claim too have.

but what I should have said was one should measure the volume of exhaled vape would be the true test for one particular strain. Sure we might all takes hits differently, but at a fixed temp the pot will only give off a certain volume of vape regardless of who hits it, whether it be large hits, or small. But even this has a flaw, some people might absorb more THC from the vapor than others...

now a bag vape on the other hand would be more suitable for something like I am describing.

so if one were too test 1g... the test I propose is.. how many tubes can a user get through before they tap out?

DevoTheStrange,

CrazyCracker

Or we could just keep posting
1 how many bowls we got.
2 How many hits we got off said bowls (like we were already doing ).
3 A qualitative description of the hits (like we were already doing).
And finaly 4 a qualitative description of the herb (again, as we were already doing).

Your idea of "how many tubes can a user get through before they tap out?" as a gram test has many more unaccounted variables than the testing already at hand. Tolerance, our personal perception of the high, how high we want to be before we tap out ext.

CrazyCracker,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
that was my point, it is more likely people will get roughly the same amount of bowls out of 1g
I don't think so, I get between 15 - 20 MAX.

For other people saying they're getting 0.025-0.03g bowls, the maths would expect them to get 30-40 bowls, nearly double the amount.

I think a "bowls per gram" would be a good discussion point.

Chubba,

lwien

Chubba said:
that was my point, it is more likely people will get roughly the same amount of bowls out of 1g
I don't think so, I get between 15 - 20 MAX.

For other people saying they're getting 0.025-0.03g bowls, the maths would expect them to get 30-40 bowls, nearly double the amount.

I think a "bowls per gram" would be a good discussion point.
Yup. I get 30 to 40 bowls. Suck up medium-fine ground bud and then level off with finger.

lwien,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Yup. I get 30 to 40 bowls. Suck up medium-fine ground bud and then level off with finger.
Mines super-fine ground, suck up to overflow (bunch of bud hanging off the end with suction, nearly 1/2 a bowl), then squash in with finger.

Chubba,

Frickr

Chubba said:
Mines super-fine ground, suck up to overflow (bunch of bud hanging off the end with suction, nearly 1/2 a bowl), then squash in with finger.
thats my method too, i perfer a tighter pack though. not as satisfying for me when the bowls packed loose. i got some good lungs though

Frickr,

YoungethKinsaul

DevoTheStrange said:
that was my point, it is more likely people will get roughly the same amount of bowls out of 1g (with a certain amount of error). But how many hits are people getting... and I acknowledge that each person would get different results..
and there are also other factors as well, such as altitude and barometric pressure... I am sure I get more hits off of my PD than someone at a lower altitude. With the stuff that is normally sold around here, I can get on average 8-10 very large hits (or 6 hits using my Bong)... which is a bit more than the 3-5 other people claim too have.

but what I should have said was one should measure the volume of exhaled vape would be the true test for one particular strain. Sure we might all takes hits differently, but at a fixed temp the pot will only give off a certain volume of vape regardless of who hits it, whether it be large hits, or small. But even this has a flaw, some people might absorb more THC from the vapor than others...

now a bag vape on the other hand would be more suitable for something like I am describing.

so if one were too test 1g... the test I propose is.. how many tubes can a user get through before they tap out?
Wow thats alotta hits.
I get about 3 an the first hit is the only one I'd consider large
I get 10 bowls outta .5 on average on my MZ.

YoungethKinsaul,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I have never in all my years weighed down to the gram but I think my postage scale actually goes that low... I will try to see how many I get.

I know one thing for certain.... With the PD I use SO much less herb than ever - it is just amazing to me and I'm high as a kite right now from a few stems LOL!!!

Now hopefully I can keep track of how many.... Need to put a penny in a dish for each bowl or something since ummm... I don't know, I might get stoned :D :D

Lo,

Lo

Well I'll need the penny bowl or I will SO forget how many bowls I've done :D I'm going to start testing today :peace:

Lo,

Lo

Okay so I went with bowls of dimes since they're smaller and well I just thought 'dimes' were fitting. I found my little postage scale goes to .5 gram so I cheated there figuring who can't do x2 LOL!!

I've got 5 bowls under my belt this morning and billy bowl is still not empty :D Of course I don't get the pretty named stuff many of you do so I'm curious to see how that part compares! Back to the research at hand LMAO!

Lo,

Lo

Done with my 1/2 gram sample... 10 PD tubes out of it so 20 in a gram for me.

My stuff was pretty finely ground w/ 4 piece grinder and drier than I'd use to roll but not seriously dry as I like a little tasty puffs. I don't get the named stuff much but it is pretty darn good stuff, not hydro, just good mids. I use straw method filling with tube filled pretty tightly, leveled off w/ finger as others do.

Also the first time I've kept track in awhile of how much I've done.... Shit, I've done another 1/2 dozen tubes after said sample.... Filled a couple Iolite bowls today during walks and getting ready to hit a couple more stems. When I have the nicer stuff I def. do use less.

Lo,

VapoFish

lo - it's pretty easy to do "just one more stem", isn't it?

I counted on Sunday - my gf & I did over 20 stems between us in a three hour period (or however long Dr. Zhivago runs - it's a long -but great- movie).

My new mantra: "One good stem deserves another"

:D

VapoFish,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Seems like the bowl size, depending on packing, ranges roughly between 0.025 - 0.05.

20 - 40 bowls to a gram.

I do overpack my bowls, to the point where they are nearly blocked, that's how I like it :D suppppppper thick, but sometimes exhausting on the lungs.

Chubba,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
Chubba said:
I do overpack my bowls, to the point where they are nearly blocked, that's how I like it :D suppppppper thick, but sometimes exhausting on the lungs.
See that is what makes us all different. If I do it Chubba's way, I would have quit vaporizing long ago because that way absolutely is not enjoyable at all for me. Getting ripped is more of a chore that way than the enjoyable relaxing experience that it should be.

DeepFried,

Lo

I feel like my bowls are packed pretty tightly but not so much that I have to exhaust my lungs LOL!!

Side note, husband came through room yesterday when I was putting a dime in a bowl and asked me what I was doing. I said, I'm paying the toll to smoke the bowl!! He gave me a funny look and walked away :D

Lo,
Top Bottom