Purple Days - The tips and tricks

highendvapes

Manufacturer
masejl12 said:
Just out of curiosity, is the efficiency still there when you bump the temperature up a bit when using the koozie? :peace:
Yes, it is still extremely efficient just a little "thicker" draws. I think that the efficiency is directly related to the size of the stem, as well as the heat used. Its such a small bowl, its got to be efficient.

highendvapes,

DJDIZZY

highendvapes said:
masejl12 said:
Just out of curiosity, is the efficiency still there when you bump the temperature up a bit when using the koozie? :peace:
Yes, it is still extremely efficient just a little "thicker" draws. I think that the efficiency is directly related to the size of the stem, as well as the heat used. Its such a small bowl, its got to be efficient.
Also with the coozy, are you leaving it on there 24/7 or just when hitting it? Thanks!

DJDIZZY,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
DJDIZZY said:
Also with the coozy, are you leaving it on there 24/7 or just when hitting it? Thanks!
24/7 but be sure you condition the wood more often with buzz butter or the like.

highendvapes,

DJDIZZY

OK just got my koozy. Wow does it heat up more. I took off the koozy when I went to bet and almost couldn't touch the unit it was so hot. My koozy is a little bigger so it's a loose fit. Is this the case with most?

Thanks

DJDIZZY,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
When you say "koozie" do you mean like a glove for the PD? If so that's an interesting concept.
Could you provide a photo or a link to something along these lines?
thanks....

jeffp,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
can get one at any gas station
there are different kinds, some with thicker foam, here is one that is a bit thinner than most.
just too give you an idea.

beer_koozie_2008_sm500.jpg

DevoTheStrange,

DJDIZZY

At work so don't have a pic on the unit but this is what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Nevermind Devo beat me to it!

DJDIZZY,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
searching, i see you can get a blank non promotional "koozy' on ebay for 3 or 4 dollars including shipping.
it is an interesting idea - thanks again.

jeffp,

DJDIZZY

Thats exactly what I did. The only thing I hate is that I think its a shame to cover such a good looking vaporizer..... but it definately makes a difference!

DJDIZZY,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
what about the AC plug? Did you cut a hole in the koozy?
everything makes a difference- not necessarily better but different, like the silicone tubing for the PD, which is nice for a change of pace as well...
thanks again.

jeffp,

DJDIZZY

Ya, just cut a small hole out for the AC and you're all good. I use the tubing as well and love that! I also have the 250ml EHLE in route to me!! Can't wait! :ko:

DJDIZZY,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I had a few people over at my place the other night; four of us in total and I decided we should separate into pairs and use two vaporizers rather than pass around one.
I opted for the PD and the VW was over at the other side of the coffee table. That was fun - eventually it was less structured, of course.

jeffp,

Qbit

cannabanana
My method for keeping the meshes in my stems clear:

I wash a stem in vodka, and then dry it by giving it a weedless run in the PD. I don't inhale the fumes - I just blow each mouthful out once I've drawn it (personally, I wouldn't dry it this way if I was using Iso).

I then use a small safety pin (easy to use, easy to carry) to poke at any holes which are still clogged. I hold it up to a bright background and look down the tube so I can see what I'm doing. I don't poke too hard as it can dislodge the mesh (done that before, and had to take everything out and put it back in place). The buildup, after the alcohol wash, is crusty and brittle, and chips away away easily (unless there's a lot of it). Then a blow from each end clears the crumbs.

Qbit,

DJDIZZY

Qbit said:
My method for keeping the meshes in my stems clear:

I wash a stem in vodka, and then dry it by giving it a weedless run in the PD. I don't inhale the fumes - I just blow each mouthful out once I've drawn it (personally, I wouldn't dry it this way if I was using Iso).

I then use a small safety pin (easy to use, easy to carry) to poke at any holes which are still clogged. I hold it up to a bright background and look down the tube so I can see what I'm doing. I don't poke too hard as it can dislodge the mesh (done that before, and had to take everything out and put it back in place). The buildup, after the alcohol wash, is crusty and brittle, and chips away away easily (unless there's a lot of it). Then a blow from each end clears the crumbs.
I pretty much do the same except I use iso. Instead of the dry run I blow thru the tube a couple of times and then let the tube sit in the PD for a a minute or so.

I did the exact same method the first time and sucking the iso thru the tube is a taste I dont want again! ;)

DJDIZZY,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
yes prog...I just read a post of yours about screen modding that should go in here. It sounded very interesting...any way we could get some pics? I would love to have a PD bowl that held a little more!

stickstones,

DJDIZZY

DevoTheStrange said:
there are different kinds, some with thicker foam, here is one that is a bit thinner than most.
Do you think the thickness makes a big difference (temperature wise) from one that is say 2-3mm thick to those fattys that are up to 1/2" thick? Thanks!

DJDIZZY,

Purple-Days

Thought I would post this here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FotkcKryBHo

Got the PD and power supply in from an owner that had a 'failed PD'. Tried to get him to troubleshoot, tried to explain that in almost every case it is a broken cord or plug. So, he wasted his postage and time and could have resolved the problem by checking the PD with his car adapter. Now he will pay return postage and still needs a power supply, from us, or Jameco.com, or elsewhere.

Broken is broken, not defective. Power plugs, cords and power jacks can be broken. We build the PD as tough as possible. But you can break anything with enough effort. Flexing doesn't cause this, jamming the plug when setting the unit down, jerking the cord (dropping the unit, tripping on the cord, rolling over it with a chair etc.) does. A cord that arrives with several knots in it, is a good indicator of the care that has been taken with the power cord. :uhoh:

BTW the 14.1V is normal for this power supply with no load. (12V under load)

Purple-Days,

Qbit

cannabanana
Progress said:
Or you could just make new screens and insert them (many just throw them away/add to abv when they get clogged. You can make them dome up so they have better air flow and don't clog as fast too. :2c:
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=34831#p34831
Yeah but then you've actually got to go through the hassle of pulling them out and putting them back in. Why do all this when a few prods of a pin will do the trick? Sure, you might need a change of screen here and there once one gets really chewed up, but not every time it gets a few holes clogged.

Qbit,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Qbit, ^

Whatever works is fine, but it takes me about 10 sec (literally) to cut a new screen, remove the old one and replace the new one. I just push a long paperclip through the bottom to dislodge the old one, cut a quarter off of a dime-sized screen, bend the two edges and push it in with a pushpin (which I find pushes it just to the bottom of the protruding stainless steel tip).

However, this is not something you must do. It is merely a suggestion (toke it with a grain of salt and, as always, toke it easy :cool: ).

PS: Sorry Stickstones, my camera is still 'broken'. Maybe someone else will try my idea and post a pic?

Progress,

max

Out to lunch
I've never had to replace a PD screen, or clear obstructed holes with anything. I just let the tubes soak in ISO in the cleaning bottle a while, give it a good shaking, then rinse with hot water. :shrug:

max,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
DJDIZZY said:
DevoTheStrange said:
Do you think the thickness makes a big difference (temperature wise) from one that is say 2-3mm thick to those fattys that are up to 1/2" thick? Thanks!
I use one that is a bit under half inch thick... but have noticed that the thin ones work just as good... different materials but pretty much same amount of insulation.

DevoTheStrange,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I ordered a koozie from ebay; should have it in a few days... it should prove to be interesting, not as a constant but as an occasional thing - obscuring the beauty of the wood is a bit of a turn off to me.
i'd like to eventually find something along the lines of a military surplus canvas cover that's lined on the inside. sort of like if you can picture a military canteen with the camouflage cover that adheres with snaps, but one that would fit a PD - maybe a grenade carry bag.

jeffp,
Top Bottom