Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratm22

Cloud Transcender
Sorry about my poorly worded post and I'm aware of what you can do with abv, but my question is whether or not it is worth it once I've finished off all my abv on high and it's dark brown? Some people won't vape it to that high of a temp, leaving their abv more potent for other purposes. Will I be disappointed with the diminished returns of my well toasted abv? BTW, tinctures are a no go for me, as I don't drink any alcohol at all. My Asian genes don't react well to booze :mad:
More of a general ABV question so I can answer.
There are traces of goodies still in your herb even when its dark brown. Yes it may be minuscule, however you can easily just use more ABV in your recipes to make up for how dark it is.
With tinctures I don't care to use ABV, but extracting it into oil has never disappointed.

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Sorry about my poorly worded post and I'm aware of what you can do with abv, but my question is whether or not it is worth it once I've finished off all my abv on high and it's dark brown? Some people won't vape it to that high of a temp, leaving their abv more potent for other purposes. Will I be disappointed with the diminished returns of my well toasted abv? BTW, tinctures are a no go for me, as I don't drink any alcohol at all. My Asian genes don't react well to booze :mad:

Even one milliliter of alcohol? Cannabutter is still my favorite for ABV.

I use my Pax on low and medium. I don't even mess with the high setting and my ABV comes out a bit lighter.

Deadshort480,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Can anyone ID the bit size and type required to remove the Pax case? Looks like Torx. Maybe a #3 or #4?

I could go buy a set but would never use it. I'd just like to get the one tool with handle

willieR,

Coastal

Just an FYI, the reason it does this is to protect the battery from being fully drained. Completely draining this type of battery will cause It to no longer be chargeable rendering it useless.

That's true but using this trick to get one last draw before plugging in for the charge won't hurt the battery as long as you only do it once per charge or in case of "emergency". There is enough charge in the battery to heat the oven several more times before the low charge indicator comes on again.

The mouthpiece/latch sticking is fixed with a couple drops of iso on and in the stem of the mp, click in and out a couple times, then dry. Fixes the sticking immediately. No biggie.

Coastal,

ats314

The mouthpiece/latch sticking is fixed with a couple drops of iso on and in the stem of the mp, click in and out a couple times, then dry. Fixes the sticking immediately. No biggie.

While this may work for others, it's by no means a guaranteed fix. Pax is apparently sending out new mouth pieces because so many people are having problems. Not to mention, getting stuck is only part of the problem. Several other people are having problems with the temperature no working problem because of a bad connection from the mouthpiece. While I'm glad this solution worked for you, it's a bit misleading to claim it's an immediate fix to everyone's mouthpiece problems.

ats314,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I did both the iso on the mouthpiece and used a bit on one of those tooth pick brushes, and pulled out a small amount of cotton fibers soaked in resin from the out side of where the mouthpiece connects and the spring is. I was extremely careful not to bump the temp button, or use too much iso. I put the MP back on and everything felt much smoother. Now I will see how long it lasts before I get a temp light again.

Shrimpanzee

By the time I started reading and caught up to the thread my PAX arrived on the 29th (ordered on Sept 14th). My postal office is open for 3hrs on Saturdays, so I went to pick it up and after using it thrice yesterday, I decided I needed a better packing tool for the oven as my pinky barely fit, so the MiniTool from VapeTool was ordered. Until that gets here, I did find a quite convinient packing tool that a lot of us might have lying about the house.
resampled_big_Pentel.jpg

The other color (lead-thickness) variations work just as well. The (in this case black) cap is flat and the perfect size to get into every corner of the PAX oven. While this would probably not be a good idea if your oven is hot (it is soft plastic after all), this works great when the unit is not hot enough to affect that plastic.

Thanks for the idea! I have the wider version that looks exactly like this and it is a near perfect fit for the PAX oven. Small and lightweight, perfect for on-the-go.
images

I did both the iso on the mouthpiece and used a bit on one of those tooth pick brushes, and pulled out a small amount of cotton fibers soaked in resin from the out side of where the mouthpiece connects and the spring is. I was extremely careful not to bump the temp button, or use too much iso. I put the MP back on and everything felt much smoother. Now I will see how long it lasts before I get a temp light again.
Could the pipe cleaners be depositing that cotton?

MrNorml

Thanks for the idea! I have the wider version that looks exactly like this and it is a near perfect fit for the PAX oven. Small and lightweight, perfect for on-the-go.
images
Lead out. Product in. Looks like it could hold and load exceptionally well too. Pax should come with such a device. As an optional use thing. Like the Arizer Q glass stir rods. Unique and distinctive.

Shrimpanzee

Agreed, just a little tape covering the 2 holes near the bottom and I've got myself an extra oven load for on-the-go!

Shrimpanzee,

Shrimpanzee

Hmm... I asked because I too fished out some resiny fibers from that area. Perhaps nylon pipe cleaners would perform better? (of the heat resistant variety)

Shrimpanzee,

aj0125

Just got my Pax in the mail today. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there really supposed to not be any holes in the screen? I thought that was really weird. What is the point of the design if there are no holes?

aj0125,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
OK so I have been playing a lot with my pax and had a nice evening yesterday.
I have a little "issue" though:
When it is first session, the pax is cold , I fill the oven and click the mouthpiece. At that stage the mouthpiece DOES NOT activate heating mode (it stays with the temp setting color, no purple flashing), if I lift the mouthpiece "a hair" then it goes on heating mode.
BTW this seems not to be a problem when the unit is hot, so myabe it is related with some little "resin resistance" around the mouthpiece?

Thx for your imputs!

EDIT: took a pipe cleaner of mine, dripped 3 drops of iso on it and spread the iso on all the surface then I inserted in the metallic stem of the moutpiece and around the exterior walls of that stem (in order to have a tiny tiny ISO deposit on there - not even visible-), click in & NO MORE PROBLEM for now on!

FLskwat,
Reactions: willieR

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
So while I love the Pax, it seems every session after I use it, get the temp light issue. This causes me great grief cause I also now hate it. Today I did the ultimate and soaked my mouthpiece in ISO and just stuck it in, cause I was so careful and still got the temp light issue. Anyhow, maybe some ISO got on the button, but what I did was I wrapped the mouthpiece in paper towel and just let the stem come threw. Then I inserted. Worked perfectly. Then I dried the area around the button with a clean paper towel. While my temp light button and unit is working now, I'm planning on going on a trip for 2 weeks and bringing this and using it solely. This is gonna suck if I have to do this every time I use it.

newVaper420,

Rokit

Hi all :wave: . For those who are buying the Pax from overseas, is it not ok to just buy an adapter with the same output specs rather than having to use a step down transformer/converter?

From what i've understood the US mains is AC 120v, whereas in the UK/AU/NZ etc, it is AC 230v.

So as long as an adapter converts the homeland AC into 9v DC, 1.3A, it should be ok, right?

Or is there something i'm overlooking? :hmm:

headdoctor

I realize that first impressions may be only first impressions--that the issues people are having generally come after some use. That said, I've had mine for a few days and I love it. As others have said, the unit itself is elegant, aesthetically attractive, and, while solid in the hand, also quite compact. I'm not a fan of vapes that look like smoking devices, bongs, etc; the Pax is very discreet. I love the fact that there are no tubes or buttons showing. My first tests of the thing have been with a packed oven, half full, on the low setting. I was a little skeptical of the slow draw and the oven design, but the thing worked beautifully. And I was pleasantly surprised by how little it smells before/after using, though I did draw out any lingering vapor after the unit was off and starting to cool.
So far, no issues with lights, heating, sticking mps, etc., but of course it's still early. To state the obvious, if this thing continues to work well, then it's a dream portable. If I start to have problems after a week or two, then not so much. I do hope the company fixes the issues that have come up and, most importantly, becomes more consistent with quality control. The cleaning doesn't seem to be a major hassle. Overall, I'm delighted ... so far.

willieR

Been here since 2009
So in the last few hours we have three people who cleaned around the spring area and found improvement.

willieR,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I cleaned mine several days ago and no troubles since - knock on wood.

I also opened a box of Ziplocs yesterday to find a sample of those little dental brushes. Cool since I was thinking of snagging some for next cleaning.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Just got my Pax in the mail today. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there really supposed to not be any holes in the screen? I thought that was really weird. What is the point of the design if there are no holes?

There are no holes. It's a misnomer to call it a screen, but that's what Ploom calls it so what can you do?

Clearly the screen keeps your load from getting into the airpath. It also channels airflow so that it is distributed around the whole load. You can see how this works by examining the perimeter of the screen closely. Notice how it isn't a straight line, it's rather wavy so that when inserted, air can still flow past it. It's not clear to me how much the screen contributes to the vapourizing process, but since it is a thin metal it probably heats up quickly and delivers some heat to the bottom of the load.

So in the last few hours we have three people who cleaned around the spring area and found improvement.

Yes, which makes me wonder if there isn't a little vapour leakage at the join between the mouthpiece tube and the rest of the airpath, at least in some units. If that's the case then you should be able to see evidence of it by carefully examining the tip of the mouthpiece tube for resin build-up. I don't have any on mine but I don't have a sticky mouthpiece or temperature light issues either. I also clean mine regularly.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Are there any reasons why I shouldn't use the dental brushes? I bought a pack of 275 from Rite Aid but they are plastic and seem flimsy. Are they ok to use? Is that what you guys have been using? I'd really like to nip this temp issue in the bud. (Pun intended, LOL).

newVaper420,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Ha! Nip it in the bud! Sounds good! Those are the little brushes. Barely moisten with high octane Iso and obviously be very careful to not get any iso on that switch.

willieR,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ha! Nip it in the bud! Sounds good! Those are the little brushes. Barely moisten with high octane Iso and obviously be very careful to not get any iso on that switch.

Yeah, that ISO on the switch is a real pain. I have to say, this is badly designed, even though I still love it :-D

newVaper420,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom