Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

willieR

Been here since 2009
I can't disagree at all. The jury is still out whether the plastic switch is affected by the Iso or if it's the resin that causes the switch to stick. I personally lean to the resin theory.

Sonics420

I will try that ISO, where can i get it at?? i dont usually use pipes so i have no clue about this stuff. I will put some on a dental brush and clean around my spring and apply some to my mouth piece.

Even though my mouth piece is very slow/stuck to get up.. i still like the pax, once it warms up everything goes back to normal basically..it really isnt a big deal since i thought about it last night.. 1 second pop up compared to 3 second pop up is not a big deal.. but that temp light comin on and off has me a bit worried at times.

i think im goin to expand and get a arizer solo..

Sonics420,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Sounds like you definately have some resin buildup. I would definately try to clean the pipe where the spring is. To be clear, the dental brush is tiny and thin, like fat dental floss. This is NOT a tooth brush.

Again, I recommend 99% Iso. Your WalMart may have it, or you can order online. JUst be careful to use a tiny amount and don't let the brushes flick iso on the switch. If in doubt about your skills, consider covering the switch with some removable blue painters tape or such. I've never done that but don't think that the tape would create adhesive issues. Not with that blue tape.

willieR,

Sonics420

Sounds like you definately have some resin buildup. I would definately try to clean the pipe where the spring is. To be clear, the dental brush is tiny and thin, like fat dental floss. This is NOT a tooth brush.

Again, I recommend 99% Iso. Your WalMart may have it, or you can order online. JUst be careful to use a tiny amount and don't let the brushes flick iso on the switch. If in doubt about your skills, consider covering the switch with some removable blue painters tape or such. I've never done that but don't think that the tape would create adhesive issues. Not with that blue tape.
thanks bro. i will mask it off cuz i know i can be clumsy sometimes haha.
Do smoke shops carry the iso?? i hate makin trips to walmart.

Sonics420,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
thanks bro. i will mask it off cuz i know i can be clumsy sometimes haha.
Do smoke shops carry the iso?? i hate makin trips to walmart.

I doubt you'll find ISO in the smoke shop but any pharmacy will carry it. Get the highest percentage they sell.

pakalolo,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
usually any store that has some kind of pharmacy or medical section will carry Isopropyl Alcohol anywhere from 50%-99% in strength. The most common is 91% but some only carry 70%. I use 91% but 99% is best. I found 99% on amazon.com The idea is to get more alcohol, less water, so evaporation is quicker and more complete. Plus it's just a stronger solvent for removing the oil at the higher %

jambandphan03,
Reactions: willieR

stoneloc

I can't disagree at all. The jury is still out whether the plastic switch is affected by the Iso or if it's the resin that causes the switch to stick. I personally lean to the resin theory.

Might not be either/or. If the alcohol dissolves the resin, then the solution runs into the switch, the alcohol will evaporate off but the resin won't. Possible that if you're not careful with the alcohol it turns into a very efficient resin delivery system for the button internals.

willieR

Been here since 2009
Might not be either/or. If the alcohol dissolves the resin, then the solution runs into the switch, the alcohol will evaporate off but the resin won't. Possible that if you're not careful with the alcohol it turns into a very efficient resin delivery system for the button internals.

That's a good point. Not just the resin conensing on the cool steel surfaces, but Iso could carry and concentrate resin, depositing it where we don't want it.

willieR,
Reactions: t-dub

Latryx

So I've had my PAX for a week now. Let's see...

Charging: I wish I could use a 1.3mm diameter DC jack to USB in order to hook up an extenal battery pak. The issue is you can't charge a 9.0V with a 5.0V USB, so you gotta step up the voltage with something like this. This thing is a discontinued product, can't find one anywhere. Maybe a car charger is an option, but I have an inverter when on the road. Anyone know if a 9.0V battery could charge directly?

Use: Vapor quality is great, albeit for 1-2 people. I have had the Volcano for years and this thing compares favorably. The abv ends up much darker. I was further vaping my volcano abv in the PAX. With fresh material, I pack it tight and start on low, working up to high - with a couple stirs. It is super stealth, you can use it anywhere in pubic.

Concerns: it flashed orange a number of times (10?) and then shut down. I spoke with a tech rep and this issue is "not self-correcting". He recommended I return for replacement but the device works great. All I wanted to know was what had caused this issue, but he didn't want to answer that. This only happened once and it was pretty hot at the time. I just turned it off and then back on, no problems since.

the mp had a loose connection causing it to flash the temperature setting (I honestly thought it was telling me the temp setting at given intervals or with a gesture) Nope. It's loose and the new mp should fix that. I used the cleaning method from Ploom to coat the mp stem in ISO and click up and down several times. Worked well. When cleaning be careful to avoid the pipe cleaners shedding resinous cotton into the sleeve housing the spring. (Ploom is a very accommodating company btw).

the "white powder" some of you folks found who opened the PAX. It's likely a brominated flame retardant. Do not breath that shit in - those little fibres reminded me of asbestos. It can't be asbestos, but BFR's are not very good for you at all. But hey, we've all been exposed to that stuff at one time or another. I have some pics of the internal components... maybe post them later.

Otherwise, I couldn't be happier with this device! Well worth the extra bills.

I received my pax about 5 days ago and have used it 15+ times at this point and I have seen NO resin on the mouthpiece nor have I had any problems with the mouthpiece getting stuck. I have cleaned my device only twice and each time I just swabbed the alcohol wipe on the pipe cleaner and pushed the pipe cleaner through a few times.

Futuretvowner,

willieR

Been here since 2009
FutureTV, I haven't done much more than that myself, and have never seen any of the issues being described. I have wiped that sleeve area 3-4 times in the 3+ weeks I've had the Pax. Can't say for sure if that's helped or if I just got lucky, however after reading at least 4 peoples experiences since yesterday it seems that this may help many with this issue.

Given the potential sensitivity of that area, maybe some Pax arrive with a bit of contaminant already?

willieR,

A P

So i've been using my pax for a few days now. When you guys stir the trench, do you attempt to flip it or just move it around? How fine should I be grinding the bud? Also, is there a hitting method like the mflb or just suck in? Overall the pax is fucking amazing, and I love it.

A P,

willieR

Been here since 2009
AP, many here flip the brick. I've had less success with that, so I just stir and re-pack. The Pax definitely benefits from dry herbs that are finely ground. I like to do a first grind in my larger Space Case grinder. The herbs are a little moist at that point. I think there's an initial release of trapped moisture from the plant material. I let this first ground material dry a bit, then grind with a small grinder

estelombo

this piece of shit is going back, and i hope that there is a credible solution to this annoying cant get iso on anything horse shit. was this thing even beta tested before release???. took the advice from here and stopped using iso to clean, just heated up and wiped resin away, good call, now the mouth piece is welded shut, and i mean absolutly stuck solid. no way of turning it on, no way to get it out. its going back

estelombo,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
this piece of shit is going back, and i hope that there is a credible solution to this annoying cant get iso on anything horse shit. was this thing even beta tested before release???. took the advice from here and stopped using iso to clean, just heated up and wiped resin away, good call, now the mouth piece is welded shut, and i mean absolutly stuck solid. no way of turning it on, no way to get it out. its going back

Get a hair dryer and run it along the mouth piece on a warm setting for a few moments. That should warm things up and cause the mouthpiece to become unstuck.

ats314

I spoke with a tech rep and this issue is "not self-correcting". He recommended I return for replacement but the device works great.

Another recommended return, reported on this forum alone? Am I wrong in thinking the failure rate on this product is extremely high for a $250 item? Seems like just about daily someone reporting a new return.

ats314,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!

Tell us how you REALLLY feel ;)

I certainly can't say I'd react any different myself, and is the sole reason I can't take the plunge for the money involved until things are addressed by Ploom appropriately regarding the inconsistencies of manufacturing.

I really do appreciate everyone that has taken it on, and enjoy reading all the different views expressed. Someday I'll get to enjoy a consistant hassle free device release once things get worked out. And if not, oh well, there will eventually be something else out there along the same lines at some point ;)

smokum,

Latryx

Another recommended return, reported on this forum alone? Am I wrong in thinking the failure rate on this product is extremely high for a $250 item? Seems like just about daily someone reporting a new return.
Yeah, I think it's wrong to think the failure rate is high because of my comment... it didn't fail. Just turned itself off, and I turned it back on. I just think the company is really banking on customer satisfaction, so they recommended the return.

Latryx,

Dammit

I don't think it just come down to inconsistencies in manufacturing, but also the inconsistencies in the material everyone is putting into their pax. A lot of people have absolutely no resin issues or say that you don't need to clean it that often, while others are getting resin issues only are a few loads. I, myself, have had both experiences and I think it's squarely on what I'm vaping. Just adjust your cleaning habits to what you're vaping.

Quick cleaning tip: Fold the ends of your pipe cleaners. I find it gives a snugger fit into the vapor path and mouth piece, making better contact with the surfaces your trying to clean. I find it also reduces the fluff that gets shed in your pax.

On a different topic, I'm going on a tolerance break starting today, and I'm curious to see how it goes. I'm not looking forward to losing sleep, but I've heard withdraw from vaping isn't nearly as bad as combustion. Wish me luck!

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
I'd rather have the company answer questions, address problems, fix issues, and suggest returns rather than just not giving a shit. There may be some issues with the Pax, but at least Ploom is standing behind their product and taking care of the customers. Ploom is not a large company either. It's comforting to me that such a young company is offering great customer service.

Samsung has been making smart phones for quite awhile and my Stratosphere sucks balls and has more bugs than an open garbage bag. New technology will always have issues, but less and less people are understanding of that.

donald420

Hi all :wave: . For those who are buying the Pax from overseas, is it not ok to just buy an adapter with the same output specs rather than having to use a step down transformer/converter?

From what i've understood the US mains is AC 120v, whereas in the UK/AU/NZ etc, it is AC 230v.

So as long as an adapter converts the homeland AC into 9v DC, 1.3A, it should be ok, right?

Or is there something i'm overlooking? :hmm:

Yeah bro thats all you have to do, just find out the specs of the pax charger go to your local electronics shop tell them you need a converter for that and they should be able to qhelp you. I just did that and got my pax yesterday and it works fine and i live in new zealand

donald420,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom