Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I want to state that even though I my Pax isn't 100% perfect, I still really enjoy using it, and find that so far out of all my portables, it has the smooths dry vapor. When working, this is a amazing little device, so I don't want to spoil anyone's good time with using it. I guess it all depends on what you are willing to go through. Some people are not have any issues AT ALL with theirs. Must be nice :D

Sonics420

update on my pax, had it for 2 weeks
it is a great unit when working
but now i am having too much trouble with it, the mouth piece feels stuck in there when i first turn the unit on, and i have cleaned it as best as i can. this is not that bad but it keeps cycling from purple to whatever heat setting i have and it gets quite annoying messing with the mouth piece. i am going to call pax today cuz this is wack.. i got it as a birthday gift and havent used it that much and having problems with it since the 5th-6th day of owning it..

im already looking into other devices, i thought the pax would be it for me but guess not. hopefully pax has a fix for it.

Coastal

Just stopped in to see how all you guys and gals are liking your Pax. I haven't caught up will all the details but I get the drift that multiple users are having multiple probs with the Pax.

I have experienced some of the same issues (those that i read about anyway) and have resolved all of them without changing anything or contacting the manufacturer.

Most problems I have read about so far are due to one thing: Residue which causes mouthpiece sticking. When the vapor condenses on cooler parts, such as the mouthpiece, it gets stickier as the residue builds up around the area where the draw tube and mouthpiece join. The switch that tells the unit that the mouthpiece is off activates the heat setting indicator. Incorrect led indications mean that switch is stuck. If the Pax signals the heat setting when the mp is installed, the mp gets stuck, or other similar problems, you are due for a quick cleaning. I heard they are sending out bigger guage mouthpieces, which should mean cleaning less often.

Cleaning tips:
Keep the unit oven up while cleaning out the draw tube! If iso gets in the top around the heat level switch it will cause it to stick a bit. (at least in mine) Upside down excess drips out the draw tube, then swab out the oven with a qtip. Don't soak the pipe cleaners or qtip with iso, jus moisten them. Run the pipe cleaners all the way through a couple times. After you get the oven swabbed out with a qtip and dried clean the top of the tube near the heat setting switch. Swab/swirl a qtip with a drop or 2 of iso to get the top of the tube clean. Don't get any iso on or near the switch. I dunk the mouthpiece in iso for a few minutes then swirl a pipe cleaner inside it. Then I blow it out both ways. Finally drop a couple drops of iso on and in the metal end of the mouthpiece. Holding the Pax upside down inset the mouthpiece and click in and out a few times. Then remove the mouthpiece and swab the top of the draw tube again. That little bit of iso in there while inserting/removing cleans the latching mechanism.

It took a lot of text to explain it but it only takes a few minutes once a week. No sticking, no random incorrect led indicators, no problems at all really.

The Pax is a tool and like any other tool you have to keep it clean for it to function properly. Are there any other probs folks are having that I missed? No battery/charge probs here thankfully.

TIP!!!! You will love this. If your Pax blinks red to indicate low battery and won't heat up: Click the mouthpiece in and out a few times (off/on) and it will stop with the warning and heat up the oven anyway!!! That is so cool!

. TIP!!!! You will love this. If your Pax blinks red to indicate low battery and won't heat up: Click the mouthpiece inandout a fewtimes (off/on) andit will stop with the warning andheatup the ovenanyway!!! That is so cool

Just an FYI, the reason it does this is to protect the battery from being fully drained. Completely draining this type of battery will cause It to no longer be chargeable rendering it useless.

ats314

Just stopped in to see how all you guys and gals are liking your Pax. I haven't caught up will all the details but I get the drift that multiple users are having multiple probs with the Pax...

The Pax is a tool and like any other tool you have to keep it clean for it to function properly. Are there any other probs folks are having that I missed? No battery/charge probs here thankfully.

The most common issues I've read about are the temperature control knob failing to operate and the mouthpiece getting stuck. A friend of mine ordered a few days ago and is having the exact same issues, so I would venture to guess they are anything but uncommon. A google search of "Pax mouthpice stuck" turns up a variety of results over different forums and blog reviews. Myself and a small amount of others have had problems with batteries not charging.

ats314,
I received my Pax on Friday. I have owned/own the Iolite and the Thermovape T1. To be quite frank this thing BLOWS the T1 out of the water. Right after I received my unit I ground up enough medication to completely pack the oven. Now I'm not talking gently packing it down I'm talking pressing down the medication with enough force that it cannot be packed any more tightly. This thing hits for the next 15-20 minutes on high before the bowl is completely spent. There is NO learning curve for any of my friends who try it out. When it is completely packed and placed on medium or high it pretty much hits like a joint in terms of the amount of vapor and draw speed. With my T1 there was a huge learning curve and hits were never really guaranteed. It was a futile attempt to try and use it with anyone who isn't familiar with the device. This thing is so easy to use. The ONLY negative I can think of is that this vape definitely releases more smell than my T1. I have had NO issues with the mouthpiece getting stuck, the charge light showing, or the temp button getting stuck. I have used the Pax at least over 10 times so far and I have cleaned it once. The clean was really easy I just wiped the alcohol swab on the pipe cleaner and pushed it through the device a couple of times.

More updates to come

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
got my ploom form Xchadb through my buddie DubC... Thx FC, I already love the baby and will review it soon!

Had a question to all you paxers. I've only tried 5 mn. but I wanted to poke the screen out with a 7th floor poker through the oven opening, to clean it & check the airpath, and the screen is blocked/stuck and the poker or my multiple dabbers aren't able to get into the rounder corners to get the screen, so:
-is there a trick I haven't catched?
-can I insert something through the mouthpiece hole (as shown in the cleaning process with the pipe cleaner and "push" the screen out without any risks for the internals of the baby)?
-oh and last but not least is there a clear air restriction in the pax airflow or is it that my classified ploom airpath needs a cleaning sesh?

Thx to all of you for the advices!

FLskwat,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Thx Jam for that uber quick answer, I did it while typing my question in fact!

So the "airflow restriction feeling" is normal, right?...like getting used to the solo style? As my airpath looks clean and fully functional.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
it is just a matter of adjusting your draw, so you are not fighting it. ease into it... I find a long steady draw gives me really good hits. Also, once your load has been used a bit, if you stir it you will get more vapor. I stir mine 2-3 times and still get vapor, it just starts to taste toasty.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: webb

Dammit

I'm new to abv, but is it worth doing anything with my abv after finishing off all my session on high? I have about 2 oz of abv, but it's pretty dark brown. I tried grinding some and throwing it into a pudding cup, as much as 3 teaspoons, but I don't think I got anything off of it. It didn't taste too bad, but the texture is horrible. Is it worth doing anything with or did I already get the most out of my flower?

Dammit,

stoneloc

I'm new to abv, but is it worth doing anything with my abv after finishing off all my session on high? I have about 2 oz of abv, but it's pretty dark brown. I tried grinding some and throwing it into a pudding cup, as much as 3 teaspoons, but I don't think I got anything off of it. It didn't taste too bad, but the texture is horrible. Is it worth doing anything with or did I already get the most out of my flower?

I've medicated by burning ABV. It's a couch-lockish sort of feeling, though. Heavy CBD content, since that's much of what's left behind.

I guess I never considered eating it. The heat probably activated it to some degree, but it's not as potent as fresh flower so I think you'd need a *lot* of it.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Thx Jam for that uber quick answer, I did it while typing my question in fact!

So the "airflow restriction feeling" is normal, right?...like getting used to the solo style? As my airpath looks clean and fully functional.

With a bright light you can see all the way through the oven tube and if angled correctly, all the way up the mouthpiece tube. It is easy to tell how dirty they are and if there is blockage.

Yes, the airflow restriction is normal. Here's something to try.

Remove the mouthpiece and compare inhaling through the body of the Pax, with and without the screen, and then through the mouthpiece alone. Although airflow through the Pax's narrow diameter tube is fairly restricted, you can tell immediately that the mouthpiece is the origin of most of the restriction. This is by design, since it is introduced by the little shelf over the airpath exit hole. Anyone who thinks that airflow can be improved by putting holes in the screen or replacing it with a mesh is headed for disappointment. Not that you mentioned it, but others have put that idea forward.

pakalolo,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Oil and edibles with ABV. The only tincture I've made was from fresh. The ABV oil is not tasty, but it does the job.

My Pax shipped back to Ploom today for that dang blue light, but hopefully I'll have a new one by next week.

Deadshort480,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I wrote to Ploom about my units lights, and circuit trouble.
I actually wrote three notes using their system, that allows you to review all notes as you write/read.
I was VERY disappointed that I spent 3 messages talking about the light that will never turn green... and they wrote back to me a note that began:
"Sorry to hear you seem to be having some mouthpiece difficulty with your new Pax..." after which they went on to tell me to please contact the seller.
I have contacted the seller (VapeWorld) and they will be helping me, but I am sorely disappointed that the people at Ploom did not really read my complaint!

Vitolo,

Vitolo

Vaporist
No, the mouthpiece is the switch, which works fine.
Once unit is on the light will not go green for more than a few seconds.
Purple also does not work often, only bright red.
If I shut the unit on and off a few times, I can get purple...
followed by red, and can get a hit, but only one.
I do have a friends Pax here now, that I have been using all day for review purposes.
It's lights function as described in the manual.

Vitolo,
Reactions: willieR
I would also like to highlight the fact that flipping/stirring is as easy as it gets in the Pax. I usually have to stir the bowl in almost complete darkness. I do this in a very simple/quick 3 step process. First I take a key or another skinny object and stir the bud around inside of the heating chamber. Next I tap the Pax with my index and middle finger for about 3 seconds to shake all of the bud back into the chamber and lastly I repack the bud tightly by pressing it down with my finger.

Futuretvowner,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Vito- Thanks for the clarification.

Jambs- Have you received your little dental brushes? That area where the spring is located is pretty sensitive. Or potentially, maybe. I've never had a single issue to date with the Pax, but I've always taken a new pipe cleaner to that little area whenever I felt like cleaning the unit overall. I don't recall ever seeing a deposit of any kind, but maybe I just never let one build up?

Those tiny Dental Brushes can be moistened (barely) with Iso (99%:) ) and get way down there where the springs are. I did this once just to see what would happen. If I were experiencing just about any problem with conductivity issues I would try this. Nothing at all to lose. Pax apparently commented or posted suggesting a mouthpiece damp with Iso to be installed and rapidly pushed in and out to break up this material / resin. The Dental Brushes might accomplish the same thing or better, and certainly with less Iso flying around.

Just thoughts.

Dammit

Sorry about my poorly worded post and I'm aware of what you can do with abv, but my question is whether or not it is worth it once I've finished off all my abv on high and it's dark brown? Some people won't vape it to that high of a temp, leaving their abv more potent for other purposes. Will I be disappointed with the diminished returns of my well toasted abv? BTW, tinctures are a no go for me, as I don't drink any alcohol at all. My Asian genes don't react well to booze :mad:

Dammit,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Dammit, I'm wondering about this also. Not sure it's worth it. I use ABV, but it's just light brown. The Pax toasts it much more thoroughly and darker. I would think it would make poor tincture, but maybe not.

willieR,
Reactions: Dammit
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom