Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my Pax recently. I think it is amazing. I'm really blown away coming from the MFLB (which I also liked a lot, we still have one around). But there is no comparison, the quality of the vapor, the taste, the ease of use, form factor, etc. Maybe I haven't used it enough times yet, but I haven't had a single one of the problems listed here (I have a second generation one, shipped recently).

I mean, small loads are not a problem as long as you pack them tight, no problem whatsoever with the mouthpiece, push it down, wait a sec and it stays. Satisfying click. The taste does deteriorate as you vape more and more but it never gets gross and definitely no matter how much I vape it has never ever combusted. Works amazing with keif but I do recommend a bed of flowers. Also, no problems cleaning up with a little brush. Lastly, you don't have to open and stir but it does help a bit. But if you're on the go or trying to be stealth it really isn't necessary at all. Some flowers do stick to the outer lid of the oven but you can just tilt the unit and have it fall back in. Really not a problem unless maybe you have some pain in your hands or fingers then maybe I can see it getting annoying. Not sure what else to say. Looking forward to someday trying other high end portables (as well as future iterations of the Pax). The Inhalator and the miVape both look pretty neat but honestly the Pax just works so well. BTW, I sold my digital Volcano to fund this. Even though I loved my volcano and think it is a fantastic piece of equipment, I really do not regret getting rid of it. I never miss it.

Jamband, thanks so much for your awesome videos and advice. A Mobius Ion Matrix will be on its way as soon as I can find one.

One question though. Can you please update us on the last silicone tube that you purchased? Also, why did you pick the 'high-temperature silicone rubber tubing' instead of, say, the 'crush-resitance silicone rubber tubing' that resists almost 60 degrees F more? I saw that the Pax stands by itself over the Mobius stem and I was wondering which tube to pick.

It would be great if you could show us some pics and give us some pointers on how to install it on the mouthpiece. Another milky video with soothing music wouldn't hurt either :) Sorry for asking for too much, but they're good.

Thanks for a great discussion btw. This made the Pax Acquisition Syndrome way worse and more distracting than needed but it was also very helpful and informative.

dison

Old Red Eye
I have enjoyed my new Pax over the weekend. Thanks for everyone's contributions to this thread which greatly reduced my learning curve.

Has anyone found a stealthy bag, case, or pouch for the Pax?

dison,
I have enjoyed my new Pax over the weekend. Thanks for everyone's contributions to this thread which greatly reduced my learning curve.

Has anyone found a stealthy bag, case, or pouch for the Pax?

Looked around for a bit. Settled for a hardshell glasses case that was probably designed for women 80+ (so, not so stealthy). 9 bucks, protects the Pax, has a bit of extra room for brush, tool, flower, and it doesn't let the Pax move around.

el_floripondio,
Reactions: dison

dison

Old Red Eye
Looked around for a bit. Settled for a hardshell glasses case that was probably designed for women 80+ (so, not so stealthy). 9 bucks, protects the Pax, has a bit of extra room for brush, tool, flower, and it doesn't let the Pax move around.

Thanks! A glasses case is a good idea.

dison,

druminfected

Dont fit the Pax... Already tried it.. But it is a nice tool..

well thanks for the info kuroth1! I'm going to see if maybe i can file it down some then like a FC member told me to do, because it looks very close to fitting.

druminfected,

Stormsend

John Hanz

Hi everyone, new to the forum.

My friend was thinking of buying a PAX to medicate but it is important for him that there is little to no lingering smell as he doesn't want his dorm friends to find out. For those of you who have a PAX, if used to medicate will a sploof or simply blowing out a window be enough to hide the smell? Also does the smell of the flowers leak out of the oven area once sealed with the magnet cover?

Please help and i will appreciate all responses. Thank you

John Hanz,

vakedcow

Gentle cow vaper and halloween kiddo
Agreed that they all smell but compared to combustion I feel the smell is not so intensive and doesn't linger so long.
Last week I was enyoing vacation in a Hotel. Vaping on medium out of the window left barely no trace, especially when covering the mouthpiece with a finger against the warm up smell.
High temp setting clearly left a strong smell for 20 minutes with open windows...

willieR

Been here since 2009
I made that comment because for some reason you ocasionally hear people exclaim that vaping in general doesn't stink, or that their vape in particular smells less than others.

Vaping still smells, but without the acrid smell of combustion, the vape smell is very temporary

willieR,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Willie I do find some worse then others. Some smell way more while not using them some not at all unless you have spent herb in it and then it is very localized to your pocket or where ever it is. If the poster above is correct about 20 minutes to me that would be unacceptable. From the vapes I have used it is usually a minute or two at the most that the smell lingers in a closed car, room or anywhere for that matter. Outside 2 seconds as the air moves.

Dreamerr,

Neurosoup

Hey guys, has anyone ordered from Vapeworld.com and never got a confirmation email or heard anything from them? I sent out a payment to them for the Onyx Pax on the 10th, but haven't received anything to confirm I made the order. I emailed them about 3 days ago as well and no reply, kind of has me worried lol.

Thanks guys, great discussion in here.

Neurosoup,
Anyone here who got successful in shipping it overseas? They say Ploom.com doesn't accept creditcards outside the US.

dissociative,

MrNorml

My Pax smells. Nothing I have smells less than the MFLB (or maybe a flaming one-hit bat) but they all smell, even on exhale. A friend mentioned to me that I, on motorcycle with Solo on in pocket, smelled, and he was right. I have used an Iolite in a cup, and that is pretty low smelling too, and lasts much longer than the MFLB.
As for the Pax - it has a place and some things my Solo does better. I think they will both fit in with my needs, but I have to imagine the Solo is going to get more use.

Battery - Solo lasts a LONG time for me. Certainly enough for an entire afternoon. Then it charges in an hour or so. Pax goes from Full to "Danger of Discharge" in a couple sessions. Pax, on being removed from charger and then replaced, flashes red for as long as a half-hour and I am very suspect of battery life.

Load - Solo uses much less and IMHO gets it all into me better and longer than the Pax. Pax uses 1/3 more and seems gone in about 1/2 the time. (But I am using Pax on high, M105 on 4-5. If I take Solo to 6/7 I get even more out, but very rarely have gotten that hot.)

Taste - Solo to me. Better taste. Cooler. Keeps taste longer and more flexible temperatures let you move up temps to get different things out over time (going from 4 to 6, for example).

Moving around from place to place - Pax easily. It is all basically 1 piece, simple to start. And the main thing to me - no glass stem erupting from my shirt-pocket where I keep my "piece". Pax is much less obvious and much less space and hastle. And, to start the Solo takes deliberate and obvous act (pressing both buttons) but Pax is just nondescript pressing down on something in your pocket...

Using when there - Solo. Much cooler on my throat. Better tasting. More efficient. Lasts longer. More adjustable temps. Longer lasting battery. Simply attaches to glass/water/glycerine if you want.
So, I'm thinking the Pax may be better getting me from here to there, but once here or there, Solo is a better pick.

NOTHING here should be considered anti-Pax. The thing is amazing(ly) simple and effective. I will definitely be taking it out as my 'solo afternoon device'. It gives huge clouds on high for 2 people maybe 5 hits/person. No learning curve at all really. Really does the job well. It can be shut off after couple puffs and started up later on. NO GLASS!! I haven't just run it till it dies yet to see what actual battery time on mine is, but I'm not real optimistic and think it is going to be good for maybe 5-6 sessions. But I have to admit that per session ... well, that's a lot of sessions and lots of plant too. Point is, maybe battery life won't be an issue. It is just disconcerting to see recharge for 30 minutes to refill what simply removing it from the charger seems to take. Obviously that isn't correct. I would prefer it be a bit more correct. There will be a learning curve to understanding battery life I guess.

Also consider that a lot (most??) owners of either one and almost certainly both probably have a table-top unit that now sits in the corner even though it is more efficient, and "better" overall at doing what you want, except that being able to carry something around the garden and house ... well, it must be a big thing since many left their Q or whatever off for weeks or months now in spite of the benefits a table-top unit gives. Pure efficiency isn't everything all the time. That's why the Pax wins on lots of bases.

MrNorml,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
So, before work I found a stainless screen and jammed it in oven. I have had the opportunity to take 3 hits from it this morning and it seems to work just fine. I'll know more after I take a few more and then clean it out...

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
My Pax smells. Nothing I have smells less than the MFLB (or maybe a flaming one-hit bat) but they all smell, even on exhale. A friend mentioned to me that I, on motorcycle with Solo on in pocket, smelled, and he was right.

Yeah, this. People who claim that vaping does not smell are either lucky enough to have never come across a sharp nose while vaping or have a MFLB. My mother (who has the nose of a bloodhound) has caught me a few times in the act of vaping indoors while visiting at home and usually by smelling it on a different floor than I am on, and that is with me being ultra careful (spoof, oozium, taking ambient air currents into consideration).

As well, once I was snowboarding with a friend who wasn't a toker but was fine with the fact I use it for nausea. While we were on the chairlift I had a minor attack and decided to medicate. I turned on the solo and put a stem in it without removing it from my pocket (an action I have done many times) and turned it up. A minute later and my friend is looking around, sniffing and says to me "Dude, is that you?". And this is while we are moving up on a chairlift, not stationary.

It makes less smell, that's for sure. And a less offensive one. But it never will not smell, and if the person who is smelling it has a nose for it then you are screwed.

CentiZen,

Dreamerr

I do also think weed smells diff combusted then it does vaping. Most are used to the combusted smell. I have heard that it smells more like spices so nobody, unless they know, really even understand what they are smelling.

I am so surprised about the chairlift and another floor. I do have a good nose as well but that is amazing.

Dreamerr,

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

I just opened my Pax and they changed the temp button.

The temp button is now clear and you can see white light shining through.

You can obviously see the white light reflecting inside the top left.

I don't know if the temp button is ISO safe but I'm not going near it.

DSC01389.JPG

I'm not sure if this is the new mouthpiece but i took a pic.

DSC01392.JPG

It is now on the charger.

I do agree with the people who said the charger is cheesy. It just doesn't go with the Pax.

Hopefully an upgrade to the charger is in the works.

I would buy it.

Dreamerr

Wow so maybe they do read this thread or are doing fixes just from the returns. Either way that is fantastic.:clap:

Dreamerr,

willieR

Been here since 2009
My last comment on smell and that's it. The smell is related to the herb, not the vape. The only consideration might be the fact that the MFLB stops heating as soon as you let go, but otherwise your vape will smell.

willieR,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Good comparison for your pax/solo there MrNormal :D I have both as well, started vaping with a solo first, months ago, and really got to know it pretty well. One thing solo has over the pax's battery life is 2x 18650's powering it instead of one, good to keep that in mind as far as comparing battery life. I don't know how much more of a power hog the solo is compared to pax, as I don't have any real data to work with.

I am still completely in love with the pax for what it is. I can see room for some improvements (like an additional mouthpiece molded to fit glass gong connections) and some minor tweaking, but for the most part, this little machine really delivers the goods. I started with mine on the high setting, and agree, it does seem to get used up pretty fast on high. Now I am experimenting a bit with the low setting, to see how far a load can get me before I feel I have to take the temp higher. Need more testing :p

I am using a Cloud as my main desk vape, and it is true, it has been sitting there more, I have had to intentionally make myself go to use it a few times instead of just grabbing the pax. Nothing at all against the cloud here, it is an amazing vape and far superior than most, I have just been so happy with the pax, and it's fast warm up time, and also still getting over new toy syndrome, and that hypnotic pulsing LED :whoa:

dudeeitsbrian

I just opened my Pax and they changed the temp button.

The temp button is now clear and you can see white light shining through.

You can obviously see the white light reflecting inside the top left.

I don't know if the temp button is ISO safe but I'm not going near it.

DSC01389.JPG

I'm not sure if this is the new mouthpiece but i took a pic.

DSC01392.JPG

It is now on the charger.

I do agree with the people who said the charger is cheesy. It just doesn't go with the Pax.

Hopefully an upgrade to the charger is in the works.

I would buy it.
temp button is exactly the same...

dudeeitsbrian,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom