Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
^^^ Wow, this is the exact post I was going to make. I want to stick it in my pocket and go to work. Walk outside every couple of hours and medicate. I dont want to stink like weed, but I need it to work well for maybe 3 or 4 hits per day. I

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Apologies if I wasn't clear, I meant that I'm more worried about the smell while carrying the device around in my pocket. I know my MFLB and DV aren't sealed very well, and smell "leakage" can be a pretty big problem if you are trying to be discreet all day.

Hence why reports of the TV are so interesting to me! But the Pax is new and shiny and those clouds look amazing for a portable this small.

Even the omicron and TV can smell in your pocket.... These indistructable cigar tubes from amazon via OF are awesome at blocking smell.

http://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-A...1340338131&sr=8-2&keywords=4+pack+cigar+tubes

ru_frothi,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
rufrothy: Actually, my two TVs (A T1 and an Evo) are remarkably smell free; it's one of the things I like about them. The only thing open to the outside world is the mouth end of the mouthpiece, and there are lots of little cap like items to cover or plug the mouthpiece.

Not sure a cigar tube is suitable for the shape of the Pax though.

Haywood,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am still kind of setting up my studio and stuff. I am not ignoring you I just don't have time to sit down and type out the well thought out answer you deserve.

I am kind of remodleing my photo studio space to make some room for a vaporizerblog studio area.

Slightly Medicated,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
rufrothy: Actually, my two TVs (A T1 and an Evo) are remarkably smell free; it's one of the things I like about them. The only thing open to the outside world is the mouth end of the mouthpiece, and there are lots of little cap like items to cover or plug the mouthpiece.

Not sure a cigar tube is suitable for the shape of the Pax though.

I find mine still smell like skunk depending on the earwax thats in there. I have a revo and an evo and pile of THC pen vapes. Pure Gold is remarkably smell free as a concentrate even when vaped.... Expensive but amazing for stealthness.

Those tubes wont work for the pax though for sure...

Still hoping some vaporizer dealer or end user will show up at the cup with a Pax.

ru_frothi,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I am still kind of setting up my studio and stuff. I am not ignoring you I just don't have time to sit down and type out the well thought out answer you deserve.

I am kind of remodleing my photo studio space to make some room for a vaporizerblog studio area.

Take all the time you want; I'm in no hurry since I can't buy one for a month anyway. :cry:

rufrothy: I wish I could get oils/waxes/etc where I live, but no such luck. Not sure about the rev, with it's side window, but the evo should be smell tight if you plug/cap the open mouthpiece.

I'm still excited about the Pax. August is a long time away!

Haywood,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I wish I could get oils/waxes/etc where I live, but no such luck. Not sure about the evo, with it's side window, but the evo should be smell tight if you plug the open mouthpiece.

I'm still excited about the Pax. August is a long time away!

Haywood, I think you're confusing the Revolution for the Evolution. The original Rev has a side window. The Evo is for flowers and has no window.

:peace:

Stu,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
It was a typo I fixed after posting, but you beat me to it. :)

(I know the revo is for concentrates and the evo is for botanicals; I have a T1 and an evo).

Haywood,

MarchLM

Hey SM , would u be willing to sacrifice Davinci in order to be allowed use pax? :D
Im medicated alot and this question made me lough a lot :D

MarchLM,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
SliM, what kind of camera are you using? Does it have manual white balance control?

CentiZen,

DannyVi

Wish I had the money together and it was out already this looks awesome, will monitor this thread!

DannyVi,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am sorry everyone. I only got an hour of sleep last night. I have not had the energy to do videos and such today. I also have to go out later to see a show. I will bring it with me to test. I might give it a light cleaning between now and then so I can see how easy it is to clean. I wanted to film the cleaning video this afternoon but I just don't think I have the energy. :zzz:

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Vicki

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Small update. I gave the device a cleaning. It was not hard at all. It lasted 10 minutes or less.

You use a pipe cleaner to push the metal screen out.
I wiped that off with 99% ISO.
I used a q-tip on the oven with some 99% ISO.
I doubled up the pipe cleaner and soaked it in 99% ISO, and worked the pipe cleaner back and forth in the vapor path.
I soaked the mouth piece and the oven lid in... you guessed it 99% ISO.
After a short soak I took another pipe cleaner and doubled it up and soaked it with 99 % ISO and cleaned the mouth piece tube.
I cleaned the outside and opening of the mouth pieces with a q-tip.
I wiped the oven lid off with a 99% ISO soaked q-tip.
I let everything dry. with 99% ISO it drys quickly.
I warmed it up and pulled on the PAX empty. There was no ISO taste and no ABV/Dirty taste.

I would say the cleaning went well, and it cleans up quite nicely. I was able to get rid of the build up Oder from 7-8 bowls with no cleaning.

I will make a actual cleaning video this weekend.

99% ISO!!!!11oneone oh man I am tired. :whoa:

pecosthecat

Nice, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

another question, as far as you can see, is there anywhere where weed particles can get stuck and/or accumulate? The reason why I am asking is I want to determine whether this unit can be cleaned enough for international travel.

I have traveled internationally with my Thermovape and my solo. However, I am nervous about the solo. Even though the glass tubes can be totally cleaned, there are some small holes in the chamber in which weed can and will fall into. My solo now has been used enough that I now don't feel comfortable crossing borders with it. Depending on where I am going, the Thermovape can usually suit my needs. However, when I go to, for example, Amsterdam, the Thermovape really isn't the right tool for the job.

Small update. I gave the device a cleaning. It was not hard at all. It lasted 10 minutes or less.

I doubled up the pipe cleaner and soaked it in 99% ISO, and worked the pipe cleaner back and forth in the vapor path.
After a short soak I took another pipe cleaner and doubled it up and soaked it with 99 % ISO and cleaned the mouth piece tube.
I warmed it up and pulled on the PAX empty. There was no ISO taste and no ABV/Dirty taste.

I would say the cleaning went well, and it cleans up quite nicely. I was able to get rid of the build up Oder from 7-8 bowls with no cleaning.

99% ISO!!!!11oneone oh man I am tired. :whoa:

pecosthecat,

99% ISO!!!!11oneone oh man I am tired.

Hey man.. You are doing good with the vids.. I like them:)

We are first with something though.

I think we are officially the first to break Pax.. We screwed up the battery.. Don't worry. It didn't blow up or anything, so I'm fine.

I think it has something to do with us having a different voltage over here in the Netherlands..

But we are investigating how it could have happened. If it is our fault or that we got a dinky demo version.

Will let you know.

Janet

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Hey man.. You are doing good with the vids.. I like them:)

We are first with something though.

I think we are officially the first to break Pax.. We screwed up the battery.. Don't worry. It didn't blow up or anything, so I'm fine.

I think it has something to do with us having a different voltage over here in the Netherlands..

But we are investigating how it could have happened. If it is our fault or that we got a dinky demo version.

Will let you know.

Janet

Oh no Janet! Sorry your device broke. I was wondering how you guys were going to charge it with the power conversion stuff. I broke cell phone when I was over there trying to charge back in 2003. I always find it interesting that each area of the world has different power requirements/restrictions.

I hope you were finding the experience similar to what I have been reporting so far. I hope they are getting you another version so you can keep testing?

Thanks for the video compliments. Keep us updated. :)

Slightly Medicated,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Interesting or utterly infuriating? I wouldn't mind rewiring this house and getting all new appliances if only ONE generation of people world wide could pick a specification and everyone agreed. Then again we have the stupid imperial measurements still, and that would be FREE to follow the rest of the world and we still won't.

Blvke

Hello, First time poster here, long time lurker. I recently sold my MFLB because i was beginning to grow unhappy with the vapor quality of the machine. Now, i am incredibley interested in this vaporizer and SM has almost fully sold me on the product, although i would still like a second opinion.

if i were to preorder soon to canada, is there a coupon code that i can use that is still valid? and when would i get the vaporizer?

Also to Slightly Medicated: I have one question you could possibley answer. does the pax produce any sound, like the iolite, or is it mostly silent? that is all really, as well as i would love to hear about how you think it would manage on an airplane.

Blvke,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Interesting or utterly infuriating? I wouldn't mind rewiring this house and getting all new appliances if only ONE generation of people world wide could pick a specification and everyone agreed. Then again we have the stupid imperial measurements still, and that would be FREE to follow the rest of the world and we still won't.

Well if it is anything like America attempting to switch to metric units... I think that lasted a week. I think the rest of the world will need to switch to AMERICAN standards if we want the world to all be the same. Us Americans have the fantastic ability to believe that everything on planet earth should conform to our standards.

Hello, First time poster here, long time lurker. I recently sold my MFLB because i was beginning to grow unhappy with the vapor quality of the machine. Now, i am incredibley interested in this vaporizer and SM has almost fully sold me on the product, although i would still like a second opinion.

if i were to preorder soon to canada, is there a coupon code that i can use that is still valid? and when would i get the vaporizer?

Also to Slightly Medicated: I have one question you could possibley answer. does the pax produce any sound, like the iolite, or is it mostly silent? that is all really, as well as i would love to hear about how you think it would manage on an airplane.

They should be shipping around August 1st from what I have read. I think they are still on target for that release date. You mean like using on a airplane? I don't think there is a single vaporizer I would consider using on an airplane. In that instance I would use pills/edibles/tinctures.

There is not real noticeable noise when operating. There is a clicking if you shake it because the motion sensor is a metal ball so you hear it moving around in the motion sensing chamber. There is a slight noise of airflow around the end cap. The airflow noise changes depending on how hard/soft you draw on the device. It is quieter though then the DaVinci is for example. There is not a noise when you operate it though.

You know when you smoke a joint you get that feeling on your lips??? As the smoke passes over your lips you get that little bit of tingle and you get that unique concentrated joint taste? It is different then a pipe, bubbler, or water pipe. I hope everyone knows what I mean. It is that kind of hot/smoky/tingly feeling. Well interestingly this device has that feeling when I use it. It reminds me so much on when I used to draw on a joint. I am not saying it is combusting and you are getting smoke. I just feel that warm tingly feeling as the hot air and vapor pass over the soft tissue of my lips. It is very interesting. I find I use this device like I would a joint. I puff on it similarly, I hold it close to the same way as a joint, I just feel like I am having a joint session when I am using the device.

Now in terms of something the device has failed at rather miserably. I have not been able to use this device with water filtration at all. I can't get a good connection. I can't fit anything in or over the mouthpeice to make it work. The only way I got vapor through a water pipe was to hold my hand around the donwstem and the mouthpiece of the PAX. The hot air passing over my hands was almost painful. I ended up getting some wispy vapor. The only way I think I can use this piece with water filtration is to do some modifications to a mouth piece. I need to cut the piece apart and take the metal tube that goes in to the PAX and fit some silicone tube onto that. The other issue with water filtration is the motion sensor. It was going in to sleep mode while I was taking my 30 second hit. I had to keep jiggling it around. That could be an issue.

While in the car there is enough movement to prevent the sleep mode from activating. If you put your pax down and not use it, it will continue to produce vapor. If you leave your PAX in the car running for a long time you could waste your entire bowl. So if you are medicating while riding in a car you have to be expeditious about your session. Not letting it sit inbetween hits for too long or you will be wasting your medicine.

Overall I am still impressed with the PAX. I wish it has water filtration. I sometimes find hitting any dry portable piece to be hard on my throat. The dry air is not something I like when I medicate much. I put up with it in portable pieces. I think maybe the DaVinci etches out the win in the smoothness department. Overall though I like the PAX very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom