Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss

Just signed up to say that SM may have sold me on this. I've never purchased a vaporizer before and portability is essential. I've used the MFLB quite a few times before but it really didn't charm me, though I've always wanted to try vapes again. I think I may finally put my incredibowl to rest.

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
Just signed up to say that SM may have sold me on this. I've never purchased a vaporizer before and portability is essential. I've used the MFLB quite a few times before but it really didn't charm me, though I've always wanted to try vapes again. I think I may finally put my incredibowl to rest.
trust me you'll never look back. i never thought id fully switch to vapes, now that i have i can never see myself smoking again.

Boss

trust me you'll never look back. i never thought id fully switch to vapes, now that i have i can never see myself smoking again.
I completely believe you. My friend who owns the LB was the same person who sold me his incredibowl after telling me he never used it anymore. I'm just waiting to see a few more impressions on the PAX before I decide to pull the trigger.

Boss,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
will this be available in the UK?

They are sourcing their options and they expect to be in the UK eventually. They did not give me a time frame but they said it is something they are working towards. Currently it will be available from retailers in the US and Canada.

I completely believe you. My friend who owns the LB was the same person who sold me his incredibowl after telling me he never used it anymore. I'm just waiting to see a few more impressions on the PAX before I decide to pull the trigger.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join the discussion. I had been a lurker here off and on for a few years before I decided to join. I had tried to make the switch to vaporization twice before. I guess the third time was the charm! The technology is really advancing. I can honestly say that I don't have the urge to combust/smoke anymore. The vaporizers I have not are preforming better then I could have anticipated. It takes time for you body to get used to the initial switch. I ended up using more medicine the first few weeks. Once my body and my mind got used to the switch in rituals and imbibing methods it has not been a big issue.

Slightly Medicated,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker

Welcome to the forum - congrats on coming away from the flame! :tup:

Boss

Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join the discussion. I had been a lurker here off and on for a few years before I decided to join. I had tried to make the switch to vaporization twice before. I guess the third time was the charm! The technology is really advancing. I can honestly say that I don't have the urge to combust/smoke anymore. The vaporizers I have not are preforming better then I could have anticipated. It takes time for you body to get used to the initial switch. I ended up using more medicine the first few weeks. Once my body and my mind got used to the switch in rituals and imbibing methods it has not been a big issue.
Would you recommend the PAX as a good device for inexperienced users, or would you recommend something along the lines of the Da Vinci or Solo (Or even the Launch Box?)? I don't have too much experience with vaporization besides the handful of times I've used the LB, but that was months ago. I've been an avid smoker for quite a while but I'm eager to make the switch and this looks like a fantastic device that could last me quite a long time.

Boss,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Would you recommend the PAX as a good device for inexperienced users, or would you recommend something along the lines of the Da Vinci or Solo (Or even the Launch Box?)? I don't have too much experience with vaporization besides the handful of times I've used the LB, but that was quite a while ago. I've been an avid smoker for quite a while but I'm eager to make the switch and this looks like a fantastic device that could last me quite a while.

What is your normal usage habits like? How much material/flowers do you use per session... an estimate is okay. How much flowers do you use in a day period? How do you prefer to smoke: joint, pipe, bubbler, water pipe, or some other way? All of those things can affect what I would recommend. Once I have more info I can help ya out. :)

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

Boss

What is your normal usage habits like? How much material/flowers do you use per session... an estimate is okay. How much flowers do you use in a day period? How do you prefer to smoke: joint, pipe, bubbler, water pipe, or some other way? All of those things can affect what I would recommend. Once I have more info I can help ya out. :)
I've medicated daily for about 7ish months now, and before that I medicated fairly often. In one session I would say I use about .2 grams of flowers out of my incredibowl (pipe) so I'm used to the fairly harsh smoke. I could medicate two or three times a day on average depending on what my schedule is like.

Boss,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I've medicated daily for about 7ish months now, and before that I medicated fairly often. In one session I would say I use about .2 grams of flowers out of my incredibowl (pipe) so I'm used to the fairly harsh smoke. I could medicate two or three times a day on average depending on what my schedule is like.

I would say the PAX would be a good choice for you. You might find yourself doing two sessions in some of the other portables. If you were using like .15 or less a session a device like the DaVinci might be better in the long run.

BTW I still need to do some more testing with half size loads and quarter size loads. I guess that is my chore for today... I have some other stuff I am working on currently that I need to get done.

I am currently re-organizing my house somewhat. I am turning part of my photo studio in to a little dedicated TheVaporizerBlog area. It will be easier to have a dedicated area for photos/videos. Maybe one day I will make a news desk type setup so I can do a show ;) hehehe.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
SliM...let me know when you determine if it is any good at multiple sessions with just one bowl.

Oh shoot I knew I was forgetting something. Here is what I think about that. I think it is possible. The 2nd session is going not going to taste as good as the first. You will not have that amazingly fresh taste and it will turn to the ABV taste sooner in the 2nd session. It should work though. I plan on testing this out tomorrow. I have a Men's Chorus thing to go to. I will load one bowl and see if I can use it during right before it starts and during the intermission. I could easily take 3-7 hits off the device and turn it off. Then I could finish the rest of the session later.

I have taken a 2-3 hits off a fresh oven right before going in to a restaurant. Then when I got back in the car, I finished the session. I could see someone taking 1-2 hits at a time throughout the day to continue a their medicating. As you go through the day though the taste would progress from Fresh to ABV, although I think people expect that right?

Good point since it is a conduction vape I wonder if it will keep vaping the bowl during cooldown...

The vaporizer does go in to cool down/sleep mode rather quickly. If you sit it still on your desk, or put it in your cup holder in the car, it would go in to sleep in about 30 seconds. This stops the conduction heat from creating vapor that is going to waste. I am actually pretty impressed with the sleep system and how it manages to not let the device sit there cooking your flowers when you are not really actively using it.

On a side note:

Today I packed a bowl way to tight and it was really hard to draw. I think I might have accidental tried to shove like .3 grams in the oven. I could still hit it but it was quite hard to draw on. It reminded me of drawing on a tightly packed Solo stem. So you can pack it so tight that you restrict the airflow. ;) I think .25 is the most you should pack.

Tim

Currently debating between the Pax and TV for my next portable. I'm loving the Pax, but it seems that people think the TV is more discreet. The smell factor is a big deal for me for outings like concerts, theme parks, etc.

Tim,

JoeKickass

Currently debating between the Pax and TV for my next portable. I'm loving the Pax, but it seems that people think the TV is more discreet. The smell factor is a big deal for me for outings like concerts, theme parks, etc.

Well the TV has no light on it, but I'm sure the Pax light could be covered pretty easily. They're both pretty discrete imo...

Smell just depends on how much you vape, I can smell it if I don't blow my evo clouds out a window. More smaller hits is better than a few big ones to keep smell down

JoeKickass,

Tim

Well the TV has no light on it, but I'm sure the Pax light could be covered pretty easily. They're both pretty discrete imo...

Smell just depends on how much you vape, I can smell it if I don't blow my evo clouds out a window. More smaller hits is better than a few big ones to keep smell down

Apologies if I wasn't clear, I meant that I'm more worried about the smell while carrying the device around in my pocket. I know my MFLB and DV aren't sealed very well, and smell "leakage" can be a pretty big problem if you are trying to be discreet all day.

Hence why reports of the TV are so interesting to me! But the Pax is new and shiny and those clouds look amazing for a portable this small.

Tim,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
well i'm already sold on it. i laid down the pre-order with vapeworld. let the waiting begin. prolly shove a fat chunk of bubble as my first bowl :lol:

Apologies if I wasn't clear, I meant that I'm more worried about the smell while carrying the device around in my pocket. I know my MFLB and DV aren't sealed very well, and smell "leakage" can be a pretty big problem if you are trying to be discreet all day.

Hence why reports of the TV are so interesting to me! But the Pax is new and shiny and those clouds look amazing for a portable this small.
I would definitely recommend the TV if you need something EXTREMELY discreet in terms of smell.... But if you aren't going to be hiding anything I don't see any reason not to get the pax. Looks amazing IMO.

Futuretvowner,
Reactions: Tim

JoeKickass

Oh I see now, and yeah the TV does close itself off very well but I usually do more than one load so I also carry a little grinder, not great for smell!

If the pax can hold enough so that I don't need a grinder to reload over the course of a few hours that would be sweet. It looks like the bottom seals pretty well, but hard to smell pictures!

SM, can you smell anything on the device if you pack a bowl and carry it around for a bit?

JoeKickass,
Reactions: Tim

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Slightly Medicated: Thanks for all the first hand info, about the things that matter to us, from someone that uses it as we will. And for all the great video! :tup:

At home, I mostly use a Volcano, but I use a portable when I'm out, which is way more than when I'm home. I have a retired iolite and launchbox, and I'm currently a huge fan of the TV stuff, getting good use and much pleasure out of both my T1 and Evo. And like Magic Flight, Thermovape can't be beat for customer support, and interacting with us here. HOWEVER, I'm really getting fed up with having to carry a bag of batteries around with me all the time. So even though I'm more of a convection guy than a conduction guy, I'm pretty excited about what you've been saying (and showing).

Request: Can you take a (still) picture, well lit, of the inside looking up from the bottom, with the screen and oven cover removed? I'd love to see more of the "insides".

Question: Can you elaborate on the smell factor? (I'm not talking about the smell when you use it, just the smell of the Pax itself, before and after you use it).

I'm concerned because of the vents around the lip of the oven cover (the air intake point, if I remember correctly from one of your earlier messages), and also because it seems the mouthpiece takes a direct path to the top (?) of the oven. My experience with other conduction portable vapes is not good with regard to their smell factor. Your comment in one of your videos mentioning that you could "smell the flowers" as the Pax was warming up is what has me wondering. (Though a 30 second warmup time is short enough that I can go outside before I turn the Pax on, unlike the iolite which required minutes to warm up).

Is there much smell when the oven is freshly loaded, but you haven't turned it on yet? (Like if I load it up and stick it in my pocket for later use). If I've just finished off a half dozen hits, let it cool off, and then put it in my pocket, is the odor obvious? If I've cleaned the oven and screen and vapor path with iso, will it still smell the next day?

One of the things that could be a real plus for me is the ability to bring it with me when I fly. Since I can put tobacco in the Pax oven while I travel, it's an easily explained e-cig; I can't really get away with this with my T1 or Evo. But that would also mean that for my flight home, I'd have to be able to completely clean it with iso and a pipe cleaner and some Q-Tips, etc. It would have to have no odor of herb. I'm particularly interested in hearing your thoughts in this regard. The screens themselves are cheap enough (three for $10 as I recall), that I can treat them as "disposables" without getting cranky about it, and just put in a fresh screen whenever I have to go through the airport. But getting rid of the odor from my stinky herb, and from the ABV smell, is a must.

I'm also interested to hear more about the battery life, particularly once you get over the new/review part, and settle in to just using it. I don't care much about how many "hours" of battery life you get, more in how many bowlfuls you get. The T1 bowl holds about half of what the Pax does, and I get about one bowlful for every pair of batteries. Your video's show at least twice as many hits from a load than the T1 delivers; maybe three times as many. If you can get four or five bowlfuls (ovenfuls?) out of one charge on the Pax battery, it would make me a much happier Haywood.

:2c: Things I'm not encouraged about: I really don't like the idea of not being able to replace the battery without sending it back to the factory! I don't think I'm crazy about the mouthpiece, and I don't think it will be easy to change. I can see why they didn't make it longer, as it would stick out of the top when the Pax was turned off. And that wouldn't be as pretty. :p

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I just did a test session. I sprinkled a little flowers in the chamber. It was probably about 1/3rd full of fluffy flowers. It does indeed work. It reminds me allot of the MFLB when you put that little amount of flowers in the PAX. I shake it in between hits and do the MFLB pull and get visible vapor. It is not a huge cloud like you get when it is packed full. Personally, I don't get medicated enough from that little herb. I feel more medicated then I did before I started. I guess it is an option though for poeple who want that.

The device is getting close to needing a cleaning.

Haywood lots of good stuff for me to respond too. I will try and get back to you ASAP. I have some more work to do first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom