Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienm420

Okay Finally, this mornings video is finished. This is the best video I have done so far for the PAX. You can see the cloud production in this video better than the previous. It also best represents what a normal session would be like. I tried to vaporize quickly like I was under a time constraint.

I was thinking about putting some background music in because I did not talk as much in this video. I decided I would let you pick out your own background music though. Turn on your favorite song and enjoy!

Hey SM, what if you made a clip at the end of the video or just a video by itself. But edit out everything except you blowing each hit. And then make 16 different clips showing on the screen at the same time, but each clip is only 1 hit. So then you can look at every got of the bowl all at once. And the order of hits would go left to right so you know which is which?

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Hey SM, what if you made a clip at the end of the video or just a video by itself. But edit out everything except you blowing each hit. And then make 16 different clips showing on the screen at the same time, but each clip is only 1 hit. So then you can look at every got of the bowl all at once. And the order of hits would go left to right so you know which is which?

I am trying to understand what you mean. Like the Brady Bunch intro? Where each hit is tiled and playing at the same time?

Slightly Medicated,

Blast187

Blast187,
I have to agree with everyone statement about the ThermoVape and vaporizing in sensitive situations. Personally, I don't medicate in public too much. I prefer to go to my car and medicate in retaliative privacy. I am an introvert... I like medicating in private. If I were to vaporize in a public space I would pick the ThermoVape almost every time. I have stood on the sidewalk during an intermission at the theater and I did not feel conspicuous using the ThermoVape. I just looked like another one of the cigarette smokers having a quick smoke during intermission. No one gave me a second look. It afforded me a few hits so I could go back in and watch the rest of the show relatively pain free. I don't think I would feel comfortable doing that with the PAX.

Here is a good analogy.

ThermoVape = Dugout and Ceramic One-Hitter that looks like a cigarette.

4%20Inch%20Walnut%20%20DUG%20-%201.jpg

PAX = That joint you rolled before you left the house.

joint.jpg
I would agree but unless you need to be VERY sneaky the Pax looks like the obvious choice over the TV at this point...

Futuretvowner,

ctweips

ThermoVape = Dugout and Ceramic One-Hitter that looks like a cigarette.

4%20Inch%20Walnut%20%20DUG%20-%201.jpg

PAX = That joint you rolled before you left the house.

joint.jpg
That sounds like the perfect analogy to describe the comparison. I actually describe my TV Evo as a "One-Hitter" vaporizer when talking to people who have no idea what the strange contraption im using is. I really cannot wait to get this as well, they are very different situationally and would compliment each other quite nicely I think.

ctweips,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Let me know if they had them at the cup. I would be interested in knowing as well. I can't wait for others to get their hands on it. I am really curious to know if others usage experience is similar to mine.

Thanks for letting me know about the audio... when I use this lavalier mic, I only get audio though the left channel. At first I thought it was a setting in Adobe Premier Pro... but it is only with this lavalier mic. I think the right channel got broken or something. :( When i do a official video review I use a different microphone. Maybe I should stop using this lavalier mic all together.

Too bad. That mike has good audio quality.

I will be looking at the cup. Still never seen a MFLB used in public despite their popularity here. I'll have my TV,Persei, and Solo handy.

ru_frothi,

pecosthecat

Very interesting. This looks like a really nice portable and am considering adding it my stable after it is launched.

One issue in my mind is how to clean it. It appears that the diameter of the airway looks a bit thin. Are there any specific cleaning instructions?

I would really like to see a unit designed along these lines, but one where the entire oven and airway could be disconnected from the battery & electronics for thorough cleaning and sterilization prior to international travel.

pecosthecat,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
SM thank you for the review. Almost has me sold on getting one(then again I was also sold on the original Ploom model 1).

lesvape,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
SM, I watched your video vape session and it was very nice. :tup: No doubt about vapor production. I do have a question about the ABV, I mean, it looked a little scorched? I dunno, I adjusted my video card gamma etc. . . and that ABV just looks a little black to me. I know for the demonstration you kicked it up to the highest temp, so could you please comment a little more on the condition of the ABV and was there any combustion or scorching going on there? TIA :)

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
SM, I watched your video vape session and it was very nice. :tup: No doubt about vapor production. I do have a question about the ABV, I mean, it looked a little scorched? I dunno, I adjusted my video card gamma etc. . . and that ABV just looks a little black to me. I know for the demonstration you kicked it up to the highest temp, so could you please comment a little more on the condition of the ABV and was there any combustion or scorching going on there? TIA :)

I actually have difficulty getting good ABV video/photos. It is something I am actively working on. It looks darker in the last video then it does in person. I would say the darkest parts is chocolate color. If you don't stir the unit, spent most of the sessions on high, and push the length of the session out as long as you can. You might end up with some dark chocolate ABV. Does those color descriptions help? Is there already a good system in place for ranking ABV? Eventually it is my goal to collect a sample of all the different ABV shades and make a video comparing them.

I have some general thoughts before I go to sleep. This time I thought I would talk about some suggestions for improvements:

Since the mouthpieces are separate it lets the company make mods and different versions. A longer mouthpiece would be nice. I have larger lips and sometimes it can get hot on the soft tissue of my lips. It would be nice if they made a mouthpiece that had a 14/18mm adapter. It is not secret that I like to run my vapor through water. Another good mouthpeice would be something with a ceramic disk similar to the ThermoVape Smooth-Flow Moisture Conditioner. This moisture conditioner could go in the SS part of the mouth piece, or even recessed in the little grove on top.

The loading chamber is completely flat with hard edges. I am referring to the area right above the oven, where the lid sits. Sometimes it can take a moment or two to push the material down into the oven. The DaVinci has a sloped almost Funnel like chamber so the flowers kind of fall in to the herb chamber easier. I find the DaVinci easier to load in the car then the PAX.

I find you get better results with stirring. When I am on the road I don't have a stir stick usually. Now I need to carry one with me. I liked that the DaVinci had a cleaning brush that you could use as a stir stick... although I never need to stir the DaVinci during my sessions with it. It would be nice if they had built in some sort of brush/stir stick combo like the DaVinci. Carrying a toothpick should work for now.

If you do a long session for about 20 mintues on red/high the very end cap can get hot if you hold it to your skin. I don't find it instantly hot to the touch, so you don't have to worry about getting burnt/hurting yourself. If you hold your hand over it for about 10 seconds though it does start to get uncomfortably warm... in most situations though you don't hold it that way.

I was just testing to see if I could make it hot by holding my hand over the end for an extended period of time during a prolonged session. Overall, the unit does a good job of staying cool to the touch. I can always hold the top 3/4 of the device with out worrying about heat. Often in the videos you see my pinky resting on the end of the device, so it must not be that hot right?

If you take the oven lid off to stir it you have to make sure you push all the plant material back into the oven. If you leave material on the side of the oven, the oven lid will not sit properly and it will be a little wobbly. The solution to this is just taking your time to make sure all the material gets pushed in to the oven chamber.

Those are pretty much the suggestions for improvement I have so far, as you can tell they are all relativity small things I am point out.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I actually have difficulty getting good ABV video/photos. It is something I am actively working on. It looks darker in the last video then it does in person. I would say the darkest parts is chocolate color. If you don't stir the unit, spent most of the sessions on high, and push the length of the session out as long as you can. You might end up with some dark chocolate ABV. Does those color descriptions help?
Yes, thanks, that helps a lot. There is a lot of processing between your camera and my old eyes :) like you, I have found ABV color hard to "translate" through this medium . . . thanks again for all of your hard work, back to bed sounds like a plan :zzz:

t-dub,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Still never seen a MFLB used in public despite their popularity here.

I use my MFLB in public all the time! In fact, I'm going shopping today and lunch at Olive Garden. I plan to use it at the mall and restaurant! :)

I'm still watching the PAX. :)

Vicki,
Reactions: pakalolo

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I think what I need is a Multifunction Color Chart. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...DKCPRO_DKC_Pro_Multifunction_Color_Chart.html

If I put that in the frame with the ABV it will give the camera sensor more color information to help set the color balance of the pictures. I think that is my best solution.

You sort of beat me to it. You have the right idea but few of us own that chart, so it still won't completely solve the problem. I suggest also including something that is a widely known colour, like Coca-Cola red, Fuji green, or Kodak yellow.

Still never seen a MFLB used in public despite their popularity here.

MFLB: the stealthy vape!

I use mine in public all the time, but I strongly doubt that you would notice me hitting it.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Great vids and reviews SliM! (sorry, every time I read SM I think stonemonkey, so you will be SliM to me!)

How does it do with partial sessions for the same load? The Iolite suffered from cooking through the whole bowl when you wanted to just take a couple of hits. The MFLB is great at not cooking unless you are hitting. What say you about the PAX in this regard?

stickstones,

monacokid

HIGH ABV
Okay Finally, this mornings video is finished. This is the best video I have done so far for the PAX. You can see the cloud production in this video better than the previous. It also best represents what a normal session would be like. I tried to vaporize quickly like I was under a time constraint.

I was thinking about putting some background music in because I did not talk as much in this video. I decided I would let you pick out your own background music though. Turn on your favorite song and enjoy!

wow just phenomenal vapor/cloud production. this is definitely one of the most promising vapes of 2012, ive never felt soo good about an impulse buy/preorder before.
SM we really owe it to you for taking your time and effort to make these videos for the benefit of us all.
Your the man!!!!
now i will be itching to get mine until August... oh well just another 40 days... :(

monacokid,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I use my MFLB in public all the time! In fact, I'm going shopping today and lunch at Olive Garden. I plan to use it at the mall and restaurant! :)

I'm still watching the PAX. :)

I think some people are more daring then I. Even though I am medical and have been for 3+ years I am still uncomfortable medicating in public. I only like to do it in my car when I am moving... and being driven around... I don't vaporize while I am driving. When I am not moving and in a parking lot I move to the passenger seat. I don't want a police officer to accuse me of drunk driving. It would just take one cop to say "You were about to drive off, we have you for drunk driving." Most of my uncomfortableness comes from worrying about the hassle involved with poeple who would not know I am medical. I don't like being hassled. I also have a very very strong fear of police. I grew up a gay male in Texas in the 90's. I was afaid of them... with good merit, I have some horrible Texas police stories.

When I medicate I usually go back to my car. So at the ballet, opera, and theater I go back to my car during intermission. I have never actually vaporized in the movie theater or anything. If I were to vaporize in public it would be at an event like a concert and stuff. I don't go to concerts anymore though because of my issues with large groups of poeple. The last really really big crowd I was in was Seattle Hempfest back in 2007 or 2008. It was so crowded we could not move for like 30 mintues. People around me were starting to get anxious and claw/climb over others. If everyone was not completely stoned there would have been a riot and one of those mass trampling/stampede.

Great vids and reviews SliM! (sorry, every time I read SM I think stonemonkey, so you will be SliM to me!)

How does it do with partial sessions for the same load? The Iolite suffered from cooking through the whole bowl when you wanted to just take a couple of hits. The MFLB is great at not cooking unless you are hitting. What say you about the PAX in this regard?

You and I think alike. I tend to read StonedMonkey as well. He has seniority over me ;) I don't mind at all.

wow just phenomenal vapor/cloud production. this is definitely one of the most promising vapes of 2012, ive never felt soo good about an impulse buy/preorder before.
SM we really owe it to you for taking your time and effort to make these videos for the benefit of us all.
Your the man!!!!
now i will be itching to get mine until August... oh well just another 40 days... :(

Thanks! I really appreciate all the likes and positive comments, it is great motivation to keep going and producing more content.

I noticed today that the Ploom guys are following me on Pinterest.

http://pinterest.com/deadfootdesigns/

Their page is:
http://pinterest.com/ploomroom/

I am late to the pintrest party. I don't quite get the point of that site. Interesting that they are a member and follow you.

Appreciate the demonstrations.

Any idea how long the battery will last? It worrys me that it's not user replaceable and not covered by warranty.

I wrote support about the battery questions, and life cycle expectations. Here is the response:

"...Nonetheless, after approximately 300 (full) charge cycles it can be assumed that the battery will hold around 80% of it's initial power. We will offer some kind of battery service, about which the cost/procedural details will be announced later. Also, the battery is covered under the warranty for defects or malfunctions or other issues of that sort. Basically, if there is a legitimate problem, we're definitely going to take care of you."

So if you follow that reasoning the device will go through about 1,500 charge cycles. If I charge mine once a day it should last for almost 5 years. It is nice to know they will be allowing you to replace the battery. Comforting knowing you will not be left with a brick. Lets hope the battery cost and replacement fees are nominal.

Adobewan

I think some people are more daring then I. Even though I am medical and have been for 3+ years I am still uncomfortable medicating in public. I only like to do it in my car when I am moving... and being driven around... I don't vaporize while I am driving. When I am not moving and in a parking lot I move to the passenger seat. I don't want a police officer to accuse me of drunk driving. It would just take one cop to say "You were about to drive off, we have you for drunk driving." Most of my uncomfortableness comes from worrying about the hassle involved with poeple who would not know I am medical. I don't like being hassled. I also have a very very strong fear of police. I grew up a gay male in Texas in the 90's. I was afaid of them... with good merit, I have some horrible Texas police stories.

When I medicate I usually go back to my car. So at the ballet, opera, and theater I go back to my car during intermission. I have never actually vaporized in the movie theater or anything. If I were to vaporize in public it would be at an event like a concert and stuff. I don't go to concerts anymore though because of my issues with large groups of poeple. The last really really big crowd I was in was Seattle Hempfest back in 2007 or 2008. It was so crowded we could not move for like 30 mintues. People around me were starting to get anxious and claw/climb over others. If everyone was not completely stoned there would have been a riot and one of those mass trampling/stampede.

You and I think alike. I tend to read StonedMonkey as well. He has seniority over me ;) I don't mind at all.

Thanks! I really appreciate all the likes and positive comments, it is great motivation to keep going and producing more content.

I am late to the pintrest party. I don't quite get the point of that site. Interesting that they are a member and follow you.

I wrote support about the battery questions, and life cycle expectations. Here is the response:

"...Nonetheless, after approximately 300 (full) charge cycles it can be assumed that the battery will hold around 80% of it's initial power. We will offer some kind of battery service, about which the cost/procedural details will be announced later. Also, the battery is covered under the warranty for defects or malfunctions or other issues of that sort. Basically, if there is a legitimate problem, we're definitely going to take care of you."

So if you follow that reasoning the device will go through about 1,500 charge cycles. If I charge mine once a day it should last for almost 5 years. It is nice to know they will be allowing you to replace the battery. Comforting knowing you will not be left with a brick. Lets hope the battery cost and replacement fees are nominal.

Hey Slightly thanks for everything, Pax owes you big for the "Slightly Medicated" Bump! You have pretty much single-handedly sold me on it.
But more so, hope the Washington State lifestyle is embracing you with peace and harmony. Sympathies regarding your intersections with ignorance and hatred. The great designer in the sky didn't put us here to be hassled by Neanderthals. But he did happen to put this awesome little plant down here with us. We just need to get more of the Neanderthals to embrace it.
Hope it's all good up there bro!

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
I think what I need is a Multifunction Color Chart. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...DKCPRO_DKC_Pro_Multifunction_Color_Chart.html

If I put that in the frame with the ABV it will give the camera sensor more color information to help set the color balance of the pictures. I think that is my best solution.

Not sure what camera you are using, but maybe you can use/borrow a DSLR, or higher end video cam? Or maybe shoot it outside if possible?

What is the smallest material you can use properly? I use around .15 in a bowl on average with my VG and any more seems like a waste for me. Thanks

lesvape,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom