Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
That is an excellent question and I don't think anyone here can answer it accurately. The battery, of course, does not fall under the 10 year warranty. There will be a battery replacement programme, apparently. Here's what I've been wondering: Since Ploom refuses to acknowledge the real primary use of this device (they insist it is for tobacco and legal herbs only) will they disqualify a warranty on a device that has been used for weed?

they are already doing warranty replacements on the units. they prolly just do that statement to cover their asses. you seem to dislike the pax, can you explain why?

ilovebOObs,

mephisto

Hey CZ, thanks for the pointer. I probably did drain the last drop of lifeforce from my Pax. It did a fine
job for the 2 sessions it provided. It has been sitting on the charger all day, still no life. Tried re-orienting
the unit on the charger, and the light was flashing when I last looked at it. Tried to turn the unit on, and still dead. Worked great 2 times......Ah, technology......

mephisto,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
they are already doing warranty replacements on the units. they prolly just do that statement to cover their asses. you seem to dislike the pax, can you explain why?

I'm sure they are covering their asses.

I don't dislike the Pax. I haven't tried one although I hope to get the opportunity soon. What I don't like is someone declaring outright that the MFLB can't touch the Pax. I consider that nonsense and I put together a subjective 16 point head-to-head comparison a while ago, but I didn't post it here because I felt it would just stir up emotions since the Pax lost on every point. Pax followers seem to be passionate people. I can PM it to you if you like. I don't want this thread to turn into a Pax vs LB war.

What happened to the "be nice" rule, are mods exempt? Other than that little snippy bit, I agree, everything I said is opinion and I should have stated it as such.

You know, sassing a moderator is a major faux pas but I'll be nice here and ignore it.

pakalolo,
Reactions: ShipDit

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
16 points against seems pretty detailed for a device that you haven't used, how did you choose the comparison questions? Would love a pm, am very curious on your thoughts. I have a magic flight burried somewhere in my drawers, could dig it up and take another look.

kushcabbage,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
I'm sure they are covering their asses.

I don't dislike the Pax. I haven't tried one although I hope to get the opportunity soon. What I don't like is someone declaring outright that the MFLB can't touch the Pax. I consider that nonsense and I put together a subjective 16 point head-to-head comparison a while ago, but I didn't post it here because I felt it would just stir up emotions since the Pax lost on every point. Pax followers seem to be passionate people. I can PM it to you if you like. I don't want this thread to turn into a Pax vs LB war.

i would really like to discuss this here if possible. i think it will benefit the community. or make a separate thread about it. i think it will benefit alot of people in search of a new portable vape. pax vs mflb or any other vape is gonna come up often, why not discuss it head on?

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
i would really like to discuss this here if possible. i think it will benefit the community. or make a separate thread about it. i think it will benefit alot of people in search of a new portable vape. pax vs mflb or any other vape is gonna come up often, why not discuss it head on?

I would vote for another thread. Maybe an overarching "portables comparison thread". One of the reasons I don't say much when it comes to comparing one unit to the other, is that they all have different niches. All of my portables are great at particular aspects of the vaporizing experience. I reach for the tool that fits my particular needs at that moment.

Now to say one is better then the other is just absolutist and not a universal truth by any means.

I have a hard time saying Oh yea buy X it will work for you better then Y. That is why I tend to like to say here is what X does here is what Y does and you decide what you need more... if you are like me you will end up with both anyway. :rofl:

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
And, back on topic: not leaving the unit charging while it is still hot from the last session, was an excellent tip. I've made sure to always cool the unit down for ~30 min. right side up after a session, before placing it back on its charger. Day 4 without cleaning, and the mouthpiece slides up smoothly (just a slight bit of resistance, enough to slow down the travel speed), clicks in nicely, and doesn't seem to be getting worse. So far so good!

I've been laying the charger on its side with the edge flush against the edge of the table, pax laying on the side. Everything's gravy :peace:

kushcabbage,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
16 points against seems pretty detailed for a device that you haven't used, how did you choose the comparison questions? Would love a pm, am very curious on your thoughts. I have a magic flight burried somewhere in my drawers, could dig it up and take another look.

The points were chosen based on comments in this thread. I'll send you the list in a moment.

Yikes, I didn't know not prefacing that statement as my personal opinion would upset you so much, like I said, it was my mistake and I should have noted it. I know why that rule is there, for good reason. Apologies for that - yes, PAX people are passionate, but it appears MFLB people are passionate about their units too. You are reacting like I'm dissing the MFLB, and you even insulted me saying I never learned to use mine (I've used it as my exclusive vape for at least 6 months, with diff batts and PA, after I sold my volcano 2 years ago), so I hope you can understand why I feel insulted.

Anyways, I've personally used both units as my daily vapes and I personally feel that the pax and MFLB are in completely different classes. Sure, some will prefer the MFLB and some will prefer the Pax, but in my opinion saying the pax and mflb are in different classes, are not an indication of ranking or superiority, but merely designed for different markets. It's like a volcano vs. a vaporgenie, just very different and different use scenarios for them.

Again, all that is my subjective opinion. Sorry if I upset you pakalolo.

You didn't upset me. As I explained in my PM, you posted potentially misleading information. Your opinion is fine, but stating it outright as though it were fact can mislead readers, which is why we have a specific rule about this. As I said, no matter how long you used the MFLB your original post leaves me with the inescapable conclusion that you just never learned to get the most from it. I posted what I did so that others might understand that the two devices aren't as far apart as you claim. I haven't used the Pax, that's true, but I have communicated with several people who have tried both and I feel confident in my position.

You would have been much better off had you included the clarifications above in your original post, then I would not have said anything. Now, can we get back to the Pax and not talk about me? Anything further should be sent in a reply to my PM.

I didn't want to do this because I think religious wars never accomplish anything but hard feelings. :\ I think I need to discuss this with the other mods before I open that kind of thread. I really don't think it belongs here.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I can't remember who... but someone at VapeWorld or Ploom mentioned to me that some of the weird battery status issues that users have will work themselves out once the battery conditions itself. That takes a couple of days of use and charging. So if your unit is giving your weird status updates (Like showing red when it is charged, or something like that) then try using it for a couple days and see if the problem sorts itself out. If things continue to preform strangely, then I would contact support where you purchased the product. I saw someone followed their advice on another forum, and they mentioned it did fix their issue, so it is worth a try. :shrug:

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: ilovebOObs

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
The purple is sooo pretty... stop tempting me. I want a black one for public use, but I love the purple.

PLOoOoOoOM!!!!! I really want exchangeable shells. I would love to be able to unscrew the current shell and replace it with a purple while I am home. I know you can't do it in this version, but for like PAX 1.5 or PAX 2.0 a user exchangeable shell would be amazing!

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Purpl3_Haz3

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
SLIM you make me laugh. I, as a woman, love color and understand the stealth vs. pretty at home but I would never ever bother to do it. Maybe I just medicate and continue on watching TV but I do really think it is cute that you want to change the colors for your mood. Maybe they can make it like the mood rings of the old days. :D

OK Vapenazi and the rest of you, I love that you are all so talented at modding. I want some skills too. I read these threads just to see what you all do. Ok I have no life.

max

Out to lunch
What happened to the "be nice" rule, are mods exempt? Other than that little snippy bit, I agree, everything I said is opinion and I should have stated it as such.
If your feelings are bruised by this comment (which you quoted)- "and one that leads me to believe you just never learned how to use your LB."- then you may have issues with a lot of forums. It wouldn't occur to any staff member here to warn or even just leave a mod note for a comment like that. We get many people here who aren't satisfied with the LB, and a lot of them change their minds once they check out Vaporpedia and stick with it. We had such a member experience just the other day in Ask FC.

Unlike pakalolo's post, which was a 'member comment', you can consider this an official mod post advising you to stay on topic here. The report button is to be used for anything you feel is a rules violation. Posting your complaints in the threads is off topic and not allowed.

•Stay on topic. Please avoid derailing or side-tracking discussions.
•Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site.
http://fuckcombustion.com/rules/

max,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
SLIM you make me laugh. I, as a woman, love color and understand the stealth vs. pretty at home but I would never ever bother to do it. Maybe I just medicate and continue on watching TV but I do really think it is cute that you want to change the colors for your mood. Maybe they can make it like the mood rings of the old days. :D

OK Vapenazi and the rest of you, I love that you are all so talented at modding. I want some skills too. I read these threads just to see what you all do. Ok I have no life.

Would you do it if it was like super easy... meaning you could take it off and switch it out in 10 seconds doing one or two steps? I could see how unscrewing everything and changing it out would be annoying and time consuming to the point of not being worth it.

Ohhhh if they did heat reactive film treated aluminum that changed colors with contact to your skin I would flip out. That would be some magic school bus shit right there.

The-Friz-and-the-Liz-share-a-wink-magic-school-bus-1954677-500-375_3485.jpg

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Dreamerr

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Would you do it if it was like super easy... meaning you could take it off and switch it out in 10 seconds doing one or two steps? I could see how unscrewing everything and changing it out would be annoying and time consuming to the point of not being worth it.

Ohhhh if they did heat reactive film treated aluminum that changed colors with contact to your skin I would flip out. That would be some magic school bus shit right there.

The-Friz-and-the-Liz-share-a-wink-magic-school-bus-1954677-500-375_3485.jpg

If they do make the heat reative film I want a percentage lmao. I suppose I would change them if it was easy cause I would get bored looking at the same thing. I know I wouldn't do it daily.

Dreamerr,

JoeKickass

I think we can come to an understanding, I'm also an early mflb adopter, and it was my sole vape for a very long time...

To me the Pax feels like a big mflb, not as stealthy or quick to heat up, but like the mflb it is extremely efficient. But it's efficiency geared towards the high-tolerance end of the spectrum.

For example, I feel 0.1g in the Pax gets me to the same place as 0.1g in the mflb but the mflb is faster. BUT if you up that to 0.3-5g, the mflb won't work as well because the trench performs best when half full or less so it takes many loads, whereas the Pax performs very well in the half to fully-packed range which is perfect for satisfying high-tolerance users in a single bowl.

So I see it as this: for a small top off hit it's pretty even in terms of effects but the mflb wins the heat-up cool-down race by maybe 30-45s. For a full-effects sesh, the Pax provides at least twice the vapor density I get from a mflb and so can get me to where I need to be much more quickly, which is why the Pax is more energy and time-efficient for high-tolerance users.

JoeKickass

JoeKA, that was a very thoughtful summary. Very objective and logical. Thanks a lot. Are you able to crank out a larger cloud with the Pax compared to the LB?

At the 0.1g level I'd say the mflb could definitely keep up with the Pax, it would take longer to fully draw it out but you could get the same clouds. But like I said, the Pax can deliver much larger clouds simply because it can vape more flower at a time. If you pack the Pax halfway or more, I don't think the mflb can really compete because it simply can't hold enough...

Hai_Rypo_T'head

Why smoke and die, when you can vape and fly?
Where can I buy one of these for the UK?

You can't. They're currently available only in Canada and the USA. A couple of weeks ago Ploom told me there'll be a 220 - 240 volt version available for Australia, NZ and UK "soon." FC member Elvis ordered one through a forwarding service. (I'll retrieve its name, and post it here.)

I thinking between this, inhalator and the vivape 2

Inhalater? (note spelling) seems beset with problems. vivape isn't portable, and mivape seems like pie in the sky when you die. As I remarked earlier in the mivape forum, it's like Beckett's 'Waiting for Godot', without the drama. :shrug:

Mephisto, as for your Pax not charging, it's possible you've drained the battery completely, so it puts out no voltage. The way a charger like the Pax's works is to put out a trickle of power and then once it detects a battery in place (by reading it's voltage) it puts out the full current. If your battery is totally dead then the charger won't detect it. However, that trickle of power would eventually charge the battery back up to the point it needs to be to be detected and then get charged.

Ah! That explains why my Solo's been charging so much faster, since I took your advice and started recharging before it runs out of power. Thanks for the info, CZ. :cheers: < clinking vapes

Hai_Rypo_T'head,

Hai_Rypo_T'head

The forwarding service is http://www.shipito.com/. According to another FC member "Someone on the forum has successfully received it in oz using this site. Either use a step down voltage converter OR get a new adapter with the matched output of the original which will work according to my research."

I'd rather not risk it, so I'll probably wait till Pax is officially available in Oz (and keeping one eye on the Davinci, Inhalater and Puffit, all of which seem to have too many issues.) :2c:

Hai_Rypo_T'head,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Inh beset with problems? Care to elaborate? I could say the same about the pax IMO.

I think he means the PuffIt, and he should take it to the right thread and just link to it from here, thanks.

pakalolo,

Hai_Rypo_T'head

Inh beset with problems? Care to elaborate? I could say the same about the pax IMO.

Re the Inhalater, its drawbacks have been discussed in the Inhalater forum. Re the Pax, you may well be right. Anyway, what suits one person may not suit another. Personally, I like my Solo, except it's not fully portable. I also like my iolite, except it's noisy and has only one temperature setting (190C / 374F), and my MFLB is a great stand-by, but too fiddly for everyday use. :2c:

Hai_Rypo_T'head,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom