Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroth1

Get your Freak on....
Couldn't Ploom make an optional oven lid that extends deeper into the oven to allow efficient vaping of smaller loads?

Interesting idea if it would really work... I am sure Ploom lurks in hear and reads what all we are saying...

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
I asked them via Facebook if we could expect any accessories or glass mouthpieces, here is their response: All sorts of Pax accessories are in the works!

kushcabbage,

kushcloud

Didn't you see my post? 0.1g is a tiny load and it vaped excellently!

Wow Joe excellent work on the pics man. Thx for giving us an idea about big and small loads. Which you prefer and why? Can you pack .5g and get many sessions out of it, instead of loading .1g loads?? Too many quesitons AHHHH! :)

kushcloud,

marduk

daydreamer
Didn't you see my post? 0.1g is a tiny load and it vaped excellently!

Yes, but you also said this:

"Both really, the heater seems to brown deeper down and leave the oven cover a bit green. I would probably pack 0.1g as a minimum and just turn it on and hit it as necessary."

A deeper oven lid would eliminate the extra air near the lid and allow for more efficient conduction and even vaporization on all sides, and you wouldn't have to mess with using your finger to pack everything down just right.

marduk,
Reactions: Dammit

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Actually the oven lid is not heated so it takes some of the heat away from the flowers. I think it performs better when the lid is not touching the flowers. I think the top layer gets a little hotter when it is not giving away/transferring its heat to the oven lid.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: JoeKickass

JoeKickass

It does heat pretty evenly, it's just the heater bottom vapes the darkest so you get the best vape if you pack it down there

JoeKickass,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
My mates are flipping out over the Pax right now. I've just converted 4 combusters with one vaping session--on low setting at that.

Powerful.

That is awesome... what ever gets people to switch is cool in my book!

Hmmm. Could be... but after the oven lid is heated, wouldn't it retain the heat and conduct to the top layer?

It does not retain heat for long... meaning when you take the lid off it cools down quickly. I think it pulls energy off of the plant material. I think it is such a small amount that the load is not affected much. The part that is lighter in color is really just the layer immediately touching the oven. Overall though I think it does a good enough job for me, even without stirring.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: JoeKickass

Dammit

Well, you could make the case if you had some dried out, powdery material, it wouldn't pack as well at the bottom of the oven and a deeper lid could help the material keep from moving around too much. I think it could be a viable accessory and is a good idea.

Hi,

I just received my pax today. Im a bit concered though as I can barely get any airflow coming out of the mouthpiece. With the oven door off it seems to draw ok, but I cant get any vapor with the door on. I have to suck super super hard. I almost cant get vapor. This is the second oven load that I have tried. HELP!!!! : )

Loyalone72,
Try packing a little less tightly... I just had a bowl like that where I really forced it in there...

Thanks for your help : ) I tried that one, but its the same with no product or product in the oven. When I put the oven cover on is when its like sucking a thick ass milkshake through a cocktail straw lol.
Take the oven cover off and it has resistance, but feels much better. Any ideas?

Loyalone72,

Steve S.

If you are using very finely powdered material, it could be plugging up the spaces around the piece of metal at the bottom of the chamber. That would make it very difficult to suck in. Clean out the PAX, remove that bottom piece of metal to clean it completely, put it back and start fresh. Try to use herb that has the consistency of tobacco, pack it in but not too too tightly and try not using powder like kief. That should help.

Steve S.

I have no restrictive draw whatsoever with the PAX. My Solo is much more restrictive. I truly believe that it's related to what's being put into the chamber. NO POWDER.

Steve S.,
I can totally see your point, makes total sense. Let me try using less finely ground stuff. Sorry guys, brand new to vaporizers. This is my first night. Thanks for your help : )

What process do you use to grind yours up? Just barely enough to get it to fall through the grinder's holes in the catch chamber, or is that still too fine?

Loyalone72,

Steve S.

I start with full buds put them in the grinder and grind it slowly. I take out what falls through and use that. The stuff that falls through the screen to the very bottom of the third level - the crystals is too fine. There are various grinders on the market that will produce different consistency. Use the one that Vape World sends with the PAX.

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
I STUFF the oven and the draw is pretty drag free.

Last night I packed about a .35 and was super impressed with vapor production.

tranceporter,

Vapor Junkie

Mine is extremely difficult to draw as others have mentioned. This is with an EMPTY oven, so don't tell me I need to pack it differently or grind my herb differently. Just as Loyalone mentioned, my Pax draws ok with no oven door, but as soon as you put the oven door on it's like trying to suck a thick milkshake through a tiny straw. I often wonder if there is some variation in tolerances on the oven door and some hit better than others.

With all that said, after a few oven loads of failure, I figured out the draw technique of a slow long draw and it gets me pretty decent clouds. It doesn't even feel like I'm getting any airflow when I'm drawing on it, but sure enough I exhale a good amount of vapor.

The Pax's restrictive draw is the #1 reason I prefer my Inhalater over it.

Jurassic

Well this isn't confusing at all....pack it tight and hard draw, stuff the oven and drag free, easier than the Solo, same as the Solo, worse than the Solo... i think i'll just move back over to the inhalater thread until all this comes to a consensus and a real comparison is made.

AFAIK right now, the Pax has a draw similar to that of a solo, and the inhalater has a better draw than the Solo with ed's stem or pvhes. If you care about airflow, I don't feel like the Pax is it. If you care about stealth and a neat little portable that works on conduction and provides thick vapour at the expense of draw, the Pax may be for you.

The Pax's restrictive draw is the #1 reason I prefer my Inhalater over it.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Yes, the PAX is restrictive. BUT, this doesn't mean it wont hit like a champ. Coming from a Iolite Wispr, the PAX took some getting used to but once I did, :D. I PAX a couple times a day so since last Tuesday this thing has gotten some serious usage. Here are some suggestions I've found have worked for me nicely:

- Fully packed, partially pack, finely ground, coarsely ground, the PAX hits pretty much the same. Slow and steady. I've found grinding as fine as possible (coffee grinder) and filling the chamber to the brim but not packing it down (let the lid do the packing) works very well.

- The PAX is all about how you hit it. It's not a bong so don't expect to be ripping this thing like Micheal Phelps. A couple decent drag/puffs (like a cigar) built up in the mouth/throat followe by a deep inhale is HIGH-ly effective.

- I like to start a session at medium (orange) temperature and then after 4 to 6 hits I'll switch it up a notch to high (red) temp to finish off. If you trying to show someone who's not familiar with vaps how well this thing can really work, I'd start right off at high temp. Steam rolled.

Hope this helps the indecisive. I was definitely turned off initially but the PAX's "lack" of flow but then I realized it wasn't the PAX that was wrong, it was I. Now, with a modified hitting method I am enjoying my PAX like a ninja everywhere I go. If your on the line about it, get one. Seriously. Did I mention you should get one?

Seaniscoolikeice,

kushcloud

Nice review Sean. My Pax is in the FedEx truck on its way to my home. HELL YES! Feels like Christmas all over again. Ill do a review in the next few days after some experimentation. Wake N Vape, :).

kushcloud,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom