Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Paces

The screw looks different than mine. The screwhead looks a little smaller. On mine there is no gap between the screwhead and the sleeve.

The screen also looks questionable to me. There were some pics earlier in the thread (post 9835) that showed a fake that had a screen with half moon cutouts on each end, and more jagged teeth on the long sides. This one reminds me of that. Here are a couple of the old pics:

wjpbriplxcw6.jpg

cppqj9ubz6g.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

first of all thanks to everybody for answering!
i read my way through this and the fake-pax-thread and i think the powdercoat that Vape Dr. mentioned (which seems to be standard on the new paxes) of the counterfeits is a bit glossier than on the originals. the screw really does look different, still better than a philips though and i haven't seen a fake with the same screw yet…
2 Paces may be right about the screen, but it seems to me that theres a half moon cutout on one side only (perhaps its just the angle). from what I've seen the serial number looks pretty legit, I'm rather sure it starts with a "B". if its a fake, its a quite good one.
i'm not too optimistic about it, but open to every outcome. should at least try to get a real one.
again thanks for your help guys! i will definitely do an update as soon as i get the device (should be tuesday i guess).

Dr. Gonzo,
Reactions: Vape Dr.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I don't want to be negative but mine (fake) had the coated finish, serial number, all the light are the right color and it works fine (except the short battery longlife, with red level I can make 2 bowls max), but I bought it at 92 USD shipped and instead to get a 10 years warranty I get a poor 6 months, this is the deal!

So when it will die, it will be go to the trash, end of the story

btka

I have 3 PAXs from Ploom and they all have a "powdercoat" look to it.
Also fake ones don't bother to put serial numbers on them.
my friend got a fake pax and had like a brushed aluminum look to it. He gave it to me to take apart, thats all fake ones are good for.
From what I've seen, I'd bet Dr Gonzo gets a real one...if i were a betting man.
I hope it works out for you Dr Gonzo!
If not, you can get an Indica with warranty shipped. Not a bad fall back plan!

P.S. Jethro i have an early and newer model and the serial numbers are slightly different from the old to the new. Main thing is it has one!

what are the differnces for example (vapour quality, effectiveness, clouds, how much clouds, taste, learning to use it right and so on) between the indica and the pax... i am considering to buy one of these... and descretness is also a big point for me... i am owning a cera (with which i am happy, but its not stealth enough for me) if the indica would do much better then the pax i would maybe buy an indica... thank you...

btka,

euph0ric1

Floating on.
@Jethro , @OregonStoner

I'm almost positive that the authentic Pax used to be produced with a brushed aluminum finish, or "lines" in the past, but has recently changed. My authentic Pax (purchased a couple months ago from Ploom), and a couple others I've seen in person, as well as other sources in this thread, indicate a smooth finish with no lines on the body. In fact, pictures/videos I've seen of the fake Pax's actually say to watch out for the brushed aluminum or "line" finish as it's one of the indicators of a fake Pax. The short warranty and the lack of included lubricant are also said to be red flags.

It's possible there are "new and improved" fakes out there.. So I guess it's important to take many factors into account when judging legitimacy.

euph0ric1,

Jethro

@Jethro , @OregonStoner

I'm almost positive that the authentic Pax used to be produced with a brushed aluminum finish, or "lines" in the past, but has recently changed. My authentic Pax (purchased a couple months ago from Ploom), and a couple others I've seen in person, as well as other sources in this thread, indicate a smooth finish with no lines on the body. In fact, pictures/videos I've seen of the fake Pax's actually say to watch out for the brushed aluminum or "line" finish as it's one of the indicators of a fake Pax. The short warranty and the lack of included lubricant are also said to be red flags.

It's possible there are "new and improved" fakes out there.. So I guess it's important to take many factors into account when judging legitimacy.

Ah, I see. How confusing. Originally the lines were an indication of a genuine Pax, now they are on the fakes!

Jethro,

Vape Dr.

what are the differnces for example (vapour quality, effectiveness, clouds, how much clouds, taste, learning to use it right and so on) between the indica and the pax... i am considering to buy one of these... and descretness is also a big point for me... i am owning a cera (with which i am happy, but its not stealth enough for me) if the indica would do much better then the pax i would maybe buy an indica... thank you...
All PAXs i have seem to function the same, the newest one seems to heat up a little faster they all perform excellent though.
The Indica is Like PAX, but it has 2 extra temp settings which are lower.
The Indica takes a little longer to heat up, but i find its much easier to maintain than the PAX. It almost needs zero maintenance except for a pipe cleaner or toothpick stuck down the chamber every 5-6 sessions if you choose not to use the screen which isn't necessary.
I'd have to say the Indica is more efficient, heats way more evenly and gives you tasty vapes on lower settings and big clouds on higher settings.
If you want to play it safe, go with the Indica. it will be real for sure, and is a step above the PAX in my book.
Also Mike is a great guy and designed the Indica to be a step above the PAX and i think he succeeded.

Last edited:

jetsetter439

Hi all,

I'm about to take the Pax plunge in the coming days and I just had a question about "dosing". So my current method of ingestion is combustion via a small chillum that I usually pack with about two pea size worth of product. Since it's contained combustion, it doesn't take much to get the job done and the effects can be quite pronounced. Bare in mind my tolerance is about a 6/10, with 10 being a very high tolerance (pun intended).

Now I see people loading Pax with what (to me) is a comparatively insane amount of product, the likes of which would have me passed out on the floor if I were to combust that much.

My question is.. can I expect to load my typical amount into the Pax and achieve similar effects to my combustion method? Or does the nature of vaporization require that more product be used to achieve the same effects as combustion? Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

jetsetter439,

Qwerty

IMO you will be able to load what you typically load and get the same effects. The oven is pretty big on the pax. I'm a new owner and have been usin it non stop all weekend. Needless to say the weekend flew by in a blur. I just woke up lol. Had me out cold for a few hours. All depends on your true tolerance. You will not be disappointed with the pax. Gotta be careful not to increase your tolerance just filling it up... You can always get another screen that pushes the herb against the screen so that it vaporizes less herb evenly n efficiently. Is the pax the only vape ur interested in?

Last edited:
Qwerty,

jetsetter439

well, i'm extremely new to vapes and the pax seemed to be the crowd favorite among both friends and others. i've also been doing some research and have heard good things about a variety of other vapes however it almost always comes full circle back to the pax. but i'm open to any suggestions, heard good things about the firefly. and i'm definitely interested in the grasshopper when it comes out.

im not sure how much product the pax holds however it looks a good 5 times more than what i combust in a session. i also don't doubt that many have a higher tolerance than i, but am also theorizing that there's something in the combustion process that contributes to a more potent high (or likewise something in the vaporization process that doesn't make you feel quite as f'd up)?

jetsetter439,
anybody know if there are any dentrimental effects of leaving a pax in a hot car? sometimes the only place i can leave my pax is in my car and i worry the high temps during the summer will degrade some components. i have a leather sleeve i put it in (think it was originally a glass case), and try to keep it out of the sun but when i still whip it out i notice it gets pretty hot just from my cars temps. as a bonus i think it conserves battery because it doesn't take that long to warm up

Barack The Barbarian,

jetsetter439

bump

well, i'm extremely new to vapes and the pax seemed to be the crowd favorite among both friends and others. i've also been doing some research and have heard good things about a variety of other vapes however it almost always comes full circle back to the pax. but i'm open to any suggestions, heard good things about the firefly. and i'm definitely interested in the grasshopper when it comes out.

im not sure how much product the pax holds however it looks a good 5 times more than what i combust in a session. i also don't doubt that many have a higher tolerance than i, but am also theorizing that there's something in the combustion process that contributes to a more potent high (or likewise something in the vaporization process that doesn't make you feel quite as f'd up)?

jetsetter439,

Vape Dr.

anybody know if there are any dentrimental effects of leaving a pax in a hot car? sometimes the only place i can leave my pax is in my car and i worry the high temps during the summer will degrade some components. i have a leather sleeve i put it in (think it was originally a glass case), and try to keep it out of the sun but when i still whip it out i notice it gets pretty hot just from my cars temps. as a bonus i think it conserves battery because it doesn't take that long to warm up

For one it probably will heat up quick!
IMO I don't think it will harm your pax.
People keep GPS units, phones, MP3 players in their car(myself included), computers etc in their cars. I have never had any issues myself. Its a pretty stout little device.

Jetsetter439, you are talking about 2 totally different styles of vaporizers. FF is convection, pax is conduction. Out of all the conduction vaporizers I like the pax for stealthy "grab n go" convenience. I theink the Indica is my favorite conduction. It is sturdy as hell, the oven heats more evenly than the pax, and it requires almost zero maintenance. The FF is too much for me to spend on for what it is. The solo is my favorite convection vape followed by the PnP which is kind of both.
Just got a thermovape cera which I haven't had a chance to try, but I think it will be top dog.
My davinci is probably my least favorite convection vape.
Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Last edited:
Vape Dr.,
Reactions: linux3214

2 Paces

anybody know if there are any dentrimental effects of leaving a pax in a hot car? sometimes the only place i can leave my pax is in my car and i worry the high temps during the summer will degrade some components.

I do not leave my Pax in my car because of the hot/cold temps. I have read that one of the worst things you can do to a rechargeable battery is expose it to extreme heat. Over time that will adversely affect its ability to hold a charge. Here is a quote I found when searching for battery info:

"Avoid Prolonged Exposure to Intense Heat and Cold
When you park your car outside in the summer, the temperature inside your car can reach 150 degrees Fahrenheit or more. Leaving a battery-powered device in your extremely hot car for more than about 2 hours can permanently shorten the battery's life."

But I do leave my cell phone in my hot car, so I don't know how much damage is being done to the battery. My cell doesn't hold a charge for long any more. But seeing as the Pax doesn't have a removable battery, I decided to err on the side of caution.

Teedub

Touching in to say i'm loving my pax at the moment.

Volcano ss pads work great but I think a good sized screen folded up in there works almost as good and is a little nicer to handle. Ive drilled out the mouthpiece ever so slightly. (mine had some burrs and looked like the hole wasn't completely open, and with the addition of WT it helps flow.) With a nice gong attachment Im white-wall-milking one hitters!

Really changed the dynamic of my pax use. No more full ovens getting cooked unnecessarily just a nice normal bowl size, I don't even need to stamp it down just push in a spacer and boom.

Cordless and tiny so nice with glass! and its battling my desktops milk wise, love watching the thick vapor pump through the fixed stems!

Teedub,

jetsetter439

Well, I'm an official Paxer. Just ordered mine tonight. Can't wait!

Edit: Part of the selling point for me was the fact that it was very difficult to find negative reviews on this thing, at least without looking for them. People will invariably praise it in conversation when it gets brought up and I think that says something.

jetsetter439,

WelshGuy

Me and a few friends started looking at these vaporizers from a website called 'Made in China'

Obviously it is a knock off version of the pax. We ordered 1 each so 5 altogether and it only came to £20 each and that's including shipping to the UK.

Willing to take the risk for £20, same sort of design to the Pax but we will have to wait and see... Will post a review once they arrive!

[URL removed]

mod note: We do not allow links to counterfeit vaporizers. Any comments about counterfeits should be posted to
Fake Pax Vaporizers. Bootlegs?, which is a moderated thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
WelshGuy,

Vape Dr.

Me and a few friends started looking at these vaporizers from a website called 'Made in China'

Obviously it is a knock off version of the pax. We ordered 1 each so 5 altogether and it only came to £20 each and that's including shipping to the UK.

Willing to take the risk for £20, same sort of design to the Pax but we will have to wait and see... Will post a review once they arrive!

[URL removed]

mod note: We do not allow links to counterfeit vaporizers. Any comments about counterfeits should be posted to
Fake Pax Vaporizers. Bootlegs?, which is a moderated thread.
I'm not sure why you would buy a knockoff pax, let alone 5!
Do you not listen to people on FC about knockoffs in general, especially the pax?
I for one don't care to hear another review of another fake pax. Let me save you some time.

Review of fake pax. trash.
Thank you very much.

$4 a piece and you think it will even come close in comparison to the real pax at $250.
Common sense should dictate that no. it will not.
enjoy the new paper weights!

Last edited:

imasinner

Just Some Loser
I'm not sure why you would buy a knockoff pax, let alone 5!
Do you not listen to people on FC about knockoffs in general, especially the pax?
I for one don't care to hear another review of another fake pax. Let me save you some time.

Review of fake pax. trash. Thank you very much.

$4 a piece and you think it will even come close in comparison to the real pax at $250. common sense should dictate that no. it will not.
enjoy the new paper weights!

people on FC are here to help and do not condone the sales and use of a known situation that's gotten way out of hand.

Yeah, I gotta go with the Doc on this one. Plus, for only $4 a piece I'd be worried about the safety of the materials used to make this "PEX". Don't gamble with your health, man. My lungs are worth more than $4... though I'd have to brush up on black market prices to be sure.

imasinner,

jetsetter439

Our rule is:
  • No bumping. Please do not bump your threads to try and get attention. Be patient.
Your post was only 14 hours old. Please carefully review the rules and don't do this again.

The reason I bumped was because another member had hijacked my question with one of his own. I had figured it was customary for the previous poster's question to be answered instead of just interrupting with one of your own. No?

jetsetter439,

WelshGuy

We ordered them because my friends are new to vaping and they just want to get a basic grasp without paying too much money. Also I would buy a genuine pax, they look awesome and have great reviews, but I'm in the UK and they're extremely hard to get sent here and the warranty would be void anyway if I did get one here.

Chill out man, if you don't care to read it, then don't read it pal

WelshGuy,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
The reason I bumped was because another member had hijacked my question with one of his own. I had figured it was customary for the previous poster's question to be answered instead of just interrupting with one of your own. No?

No. Nobody hijacked anything. As long as the post is on topic (i.e. about the Pax) then it's okay.

I'd assume you aren't familiar with forums except you knew about bumping. This isn't a question and answer period, it's a discussion about the Pax. Suppose nobody had an answer to your question, should the thread then come to a dead stop? Your question isn't even appropriate to this thread, since it's a general question about combustion.

The answer, by the way, is that there are products of combustion that contribute to the effects but not in any good way. Carbon monoxide is responsible for the slightly dizzy couchlock feeling that former smokers sometimes feel is missing from vapourization. It doesn't make a high more potent, but it does (as you put it) make you feel more fucked up. That's because CO will definitely fuck you up. There are other toxic by-products of pyrolysis that contribute to this difference, but CO is the main one.

If anyone wants to comment further on this, please take it to one of our many threads that would apply. Thanks for your cooperation. We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

Chill out man, if you don't care to read it, then don't read it pal

Your response was fine until this. It comes across as arrogant and rude. Please respect your fellow members and try to be polite.

pakalolo,

jetsetter439

No. Nobody hijacked anything. As long as the post is on topic (i.e. about the Pax) then it's okay.

I'd assume you aren't familiar with forums except you knew about bumping. This isn't a question and answer period, it's a discussion about the Pax. Suppose nobody had an answer to your question, should the thread then come to a dead stop? Your question isn't even appropriate to this thread, since it's a general question about combustion.

The answer, by the way, is that there are products of combustion that contribute to the effects but not in any good way. Carbon monoxide is responsible for the slightly dizzy couchlock feeling that former smokers sometimes feel is missing from vapourization. It doesn't make a high more potent, but it does (as you put it) make you feel more fucked up. That's because CO will definitely fuck you up. There are other toxic by-products of pyrolysis that contribute to this difference, but CO is the main one.

If anyone wants to comment further on this, please take it to one of our many threads that would apply. Thanks for your cooperation. We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.
Actually, I've been a moderator before, so your allegation that I don't know how forums work is very inaccurate. Typically I didn't police every little infraction that I saw since that can give off a very militant vibe and potentially the forum a bad name... When someone asked a question I would make sure that a sufficient answer was provided before passing it off to the next guy/girl. Should I have cloned my question and asked again? Something tells me this would have been even more egregious.

Anyway, I don't believe my question was entirely off topic since it was related to the Pax's individual way of vaping. But I do thank you for your genuinely informative answer.

jetsetter439,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom