Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ticovape

Does anyone else experience frequent popping and hissing when vaping a full oven? I've seen a couple people mention this and the only solution seemed to be there was resin dripping down the tubing. However, that can't be in my case. It happens after a fresh cleaning. I normally do a clean, let it fully dry, charge it, load it up, and then put it away for the next use. So there is no resin, gunk, or iso in there when I start up the next session. And it only happens when I load the oven fully, not when it's half-packed.

It doesn't seem to be affecting performance but it's just a bit alarming when it reaches full temp and starts hissing and popping. It stops when I start inhaling, and starts again when I stop. Maybe it has to do with how firmly the herb is packed? I do tend to pack it down extremely firm.

I have that happen too and I keep my very clean too. I thought it was the moist herb but really don't know..

Ticovape,

Shadowdjinni

Just got a my pax back from being warrantied for the screen refusing to set right. They ended up replacing it and gave me a different color like I requested. great service. Email from the rep below. Glad to have it back.

No idea why the font color is that light but in a nutshell, the oven was not shaped right so they replaced it

Hi Shawn,
I can't tell you how it happened, but the shape of your oven was slightly irregular, making it inhospitable for screens so that's why they kept falling out of place.
Happy we could help, let us know if you need anything else :)

Just want to ask (lol)... did your oven have a bump/ridge in the middle of it ;)

Shadowdjinni,

shawn0223

Just got a my pax back from being warrantied for the screen refusing to set right. They ended up replacing it and gave me a different color like I requested. great service. Email from the rep below. Glad to have it back.

No idea why the font color is that light but in a nutshell, the oven was not shaped right so they replaced it

Hi Shawn,
I can't tell you how it happened, but the shape of your oven was slightly irregular, making it inhospitable for screens so that's why they kept falling out of place.
Happy we could help, let us know if you need anything else :)

@Vape Dr.

I remember you mentioning something about some fake paxes having a different lighting. I noticed a few differences between the one I sent in and the one I got back. For one, my old one didn't have a sticker on the box sealing it. The one I got back had a silver sticker sealing the box closed that said "void" whenever I pulled off the sticker to open it. I also noticed that whenever I charged my old pax, it lit up green no matter how dead the battery was. This new one was orange and turned green. Don't think it was fake cuz it was bought from a retailer listed on their site. Plus I figured they'd recognize a fake if it was sent in. Just something different between the two I found interesting

shawn0223,

Vape Dr.

Maybe they are updating their firmware..?
All mine have always had an orange light while on the charger, then green on completion.

Vape Dr.,

Wizsteve

I contacted the company and they said that the problem was from me not lubricating the mouthpiece part.
Its funny, i have tons of lubrication at home! Who woulda thought it!!! :cool:
Really though, the directions said to lube it but my box didnt have it included. Either way, the kind folks there will send some out. Good company!

HMM? lol,what? just me or does this sound like BS? but lubing the mouthpiece will not affect heat up times
its nice there sending you some lol but your still going to need to return it lol.

Does anyone else experience frequent popping and hissing when vaping a full oven? I've seen a couple people mention this and the only solution seemed to be there was resin dripping down the tubing. However, that can't be in my case. It happens after a fresh cleaning. I normally do a clean, let it fully dry, charge it, load it up, and then put it away for the next use. So there is no resin, gunk, or iso in there when I start up the next session. And it only happens when I load the oven fully, not when it's half-packed.

It doesn't seem to be affecting performance but it's just a bit alarming when it reaches full temp and starts hissing and popping. It stops when I start inhaling, and starts again when I stop. Maybe it has to do with how firmly the herb is packed? I do tend to pack it down extremely firm.

sounds like you got some lube inside the mouthpiece stem

This is the second pax I have that has gone bad... yeah warranty is great ... but WTF... on a product that cost this much this should not happen....

stem on mouthpiece or stem on oven could be bent just a bit could cause this.be careful
when pushing in mouthpiece it should be done over the stem so wont warp

Last edited:

shawn0223

Just want to ask (lol)... did your oven have a bump/ridge in the middle of it ;)
i dont think it was in the middle, its been a couple weeks and i never really looked for it or thought about that being the problem until they mentioned there being "irregularly shaped" so im not sure. i believe it was towards the side of the oven. why do you ask?
Maybe they are updating their firmware..?
All mine have always had an orange light while on the charger, then green on completion.

see that would make sense if my new one didnt do that. but the new one changes from orange to green.(like yours) the old one just stayed green. makes me think my old one was a fake. but then i though they shouldve noticed a fake sent in for repair lol.

also, had my first sesh outta the new pax and its a whole 'nother experience. the old one seemed to have cooked too fast. all you guys would say you were receiving 10-20 hits off of each temp setting, and mine would need to change the temp/start tasting bad after like 7-8 hits. today i barely put any in there with no screen to hold the everything down and the bitch just kept hitting and hitting and tasted waaay better than the old pax did. lol. placebo maybe? or maybe i just had a shitty unit. lol. anyways i cant say for sure since ive only used it once. bout to go test it again. will keep you guys posted.

@Vape Dr. Edit: I also noticed on my old one the low temp light was more greenish. On this new one it's more yellowish

Last edited:
shawn0223,
Reactions: Vape Dr.

Vape Dr.

Yes but if the mouthpiece is put away too lubricated I think it could cause some excess to burn away when it next heats up.. Which would explain my sizzle.

Just a guess though.

If it is the mouth lube (you really only need to lube the ring) its food grade propylene glycol PG no worries if your wondering about ingesting something bad its kosher, literally.

you only Need a dab on the ring one little packet should last you months.

Vape Dr.

Good to know.. I've been basting that thing like a chicken.

Haha, no just ISO in, and on the metal and some lube on the ring works very well.
I would suggest going to a vape shop and getting a bottle of PG and a needle tip application bottle.
It will cost a total of $10 and the PG (exact same lube as in the packets) comes in an 8oz bottle.
8oz should last you through your 10 year warranty and beyond.
With those stupid little packets they give you, its hard to get it on the ring let alone see if its coming out! Most of it ends up on your fingers!
With the needle tip bottle you can put a drip on and be good.
Very helpful and economical.

nat3r

VaPeLoRd
So the rubber o-ring/band that sits between the oven chamber and the plastic has come out, so i've stuffed it back in but it's still loose. I've seen it mentioned ITT a bunch of times but nobody ever follows up!

So whats the deal, is it warranty-able or not?

nat3r,
So for what its worth, i got lube from ploom. I put it on and wala- it works. I still like the hottest setting by far, as the vapor from the middle one isnt strong enough. A tightly packed oven and the high setting provided the hit i was looking for.

I used it twice (two ovens full) and then then the battery died. Three hours on the charger and i turned it on to have it not even heat up once before it died again. Wtf.

Im suspecting there may be issues with turning it on and off- in the sense that something may not registering right- so i have to turn it off the on again, to get the computer going right. Anyone else (vape dr lol ) have any experience with this? Namely, the device not doing like it should- and have it reset (with no further problems) and that fixes it?

The battery seemed dead. Turned it off amd on again and wala. Its a funny little device and way too overpriced to be as finicky as it is. I like the monster hit i just had, but it seems like an expensive ride eh. Thanks for the input. Im curious if this is what i have to get used to. :nope:

:peace:

Shootthemoon,

Vape Dr.

So the rubber o-ring/band that sits between the oven chamber and the plastic has come out, so i've stuffed it back in but it's still loose. I've seen it mentioned ITT a bunch of times but nobody ever follows up!

So whats the deal, is it warranty-able or not?

nat3r, IMO yes it is a warrantable issue, but can be easily fixed.
One of my PAXs did that, I kinda pushed the inside guts towards the mouthpiece, used a bent paperclip to affix the oven ring back in place, then pushed the MP towards the oven to squeeze the seal.
Then I tightened the tiny torx screw a little bit and haven't had any more issues.
It still works the same, so I did not feel the need to send it back for warranty.
If you cannot fix it, PM me and I will give you a direct phone number to Jeremy at Ploom who takes care of warranties.

Shootthemoon, Is the x flashing purple 3 or 5 times during heat up before it shuts off?

Before it shuts off, it will flash red a few times. I think this was its warning. With power, it goes purple to green as it should. The issue im curious about is if my use 2 small sessions of 6 draws or so is the life of the battery.

:myday:

Shootthemoon,

Vape Dr.

Before it shuts off, it will flash red a few times. I think this was its warning. With power, it goes purple to green as it should. The issue im curious about is if my use 2 small sessions of 6 draws or so is the life of the battery.

:myday:
That's definitely not right there.
I half pack with a screen and get 12 great hits on low and 12 on high.
That's stirring the oven every 6 vapes.
I never ever needed nor wanted to use the high setting. I use my ABV for edibles.
I can PAX all day on lower temps. A couple hours at least.
I never seems to have to charge it for longer than 30 minutes or so.
Usually with a battery issue the unit, while on purple charging to temperature, will flash 3 or 5 times then shut off.
Make sure your getting a good connection with the MP first and foremost.
If you could give me more detailed information, I will do my best to get you PAXin again!
Is this a Ploom unit?

Vape Dr.,

Ticovape

What is the best temperature to use your Pax.... I normally jut keep mine on high... what's the correct way lol

Ticovape,

Vape Dr.

Best temperature would be what works best for you. I prefer the lower temps for the flavor, but I sacrifice the clouds. Higher temps won't be as flavorful but will give you much better vapor production.
I vape my PAX with a half oven with SS screen on low for 12 vapes then medium for 12 vapes (stirring the oven after every 6 vapes).
IMO there is no right or wrong temperature. It's what you prefer the most. Medium is great on the PAX, great flavor and vapor production (also the factory default setting is medium). It also depends on the quality of your medicine and how your unit is functioning (clean/dirty). Just because you don't see huge clouds, that doesn't mean your not getting medicated.

euph0ric1

Floating on.
I agree with @Vape Dr. in that there is no right or wrong temp to use.. But the method of vaping on Low, then moving up to Medium while stirring periodically is a great way to get the most out of the herb. I personally never choose High temp because it tends to be much harsher, gives fewer good-tasting hits, and will gunk up the oven much faster.

btka

this are fucking big clouds for me...

after receving my pax today... i did a "burn off" for 10 min then i had to charge the pax... after charging i did another "burn off" but the plastic taste didn t disapear totaly (any opinions?)... but i was so impatient... i am relativ new to vapeing (owning a volcano, cera, and have owned iolite, solo) but i have to say the clouds are amazing (i am an ex smoker for one month - thats maybe why i am a "cloud chaser" maybe usefull info for other smokers)... i am impressed... after my first session... i also used the second screen method and packed it half full... my only problem was to get the second screen out afterwards (orginal pax screen)... after a few attemps with a needle i finally got it out (but i was not really comfortable doing this to my new pax... :( but hopefully nothing happend...i hope so... my work around this issue with the stucked screen was to bent the screen slightly... knocking on wood ;)

btka,

euph0ric1

Floating on.
this are fucking big clouds for me...

after receving my pax today... i did a "burn off" for 10 min then i had to charge the pax... after charging i did another "burn off" but the plastic taste didn t disapear totaly (any opinions?)... but i was so impatient... i am relativ new to vapeing (owning a volcano, cera, and have owned iolite, solo) but i have to say the clouds are amazing (i am an ex smoker for one month - thats maybe why i am a "cloud chaser" maybe usefull info for other smokers)... i am impressed... after my first session... i also used the second screen method and packed it half full... my only problem was to get the second screen out afterwards (orginal pax screen)... after a few attemps with a needle i finally got it out (but i was not really comfortable doing this to my new pax... :( but hopefully nothing happend...i hope so... my work around this issue with the stucked screen was to bent the screen slightly... knocking on wood ;)

Not really sure what "plastic taste" you're referring to.. and I've never heard of having to "burn off" anything in the Pax beforehand. I'm curious, where did you get the "burn off" idea from?

I have not tried a second Pax screen as a spacer but I can imagine that would indeed be very hard to remove, and make for inconvenient stirring. You should just try a rolled up stainless steel / brass screen as a spacer instead of another Pax screen.

I certainly agree on the clouds :) they are big and they are consistent. I even try to hold the hit in for as long as humanly possible, but the cloud is still huge.

euph0ric1,

btka

http://vaporpedia.com/wiki/Pax -->
Usage Tips:"It's a good idea to "burn off" a new Pax before its initial session. Set to high and run empty for 5-10 minutes."

plastic taste: when brand new and empty oven sucking on mouthpiece tasted like plastic... i thought it was the mouthpiece but i think it was coming from the bottom where the oven is (lid) ... maybe i don´t know.... but i am very sensitive i don tknow...

btka,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom