Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Your list is short the two little magnets that hold the oven cover. They are not secured in any way and are tiny. If they fall out and you don't notice, good luck finding them.

The magnets are circled in red. The yellow circle encloses the pieces of O-ring that eventually got destroyed during disassembly. They isolate the heater and its insulation from the rest of the Pax.

The screw in mine is retained by a metal seat directly the body. You can see it here, it's to the right of the orange tape and right next to the end of the metal latching clip:

The plastic piece to the left of the orange tape looks like it might be removable if it weren't taped down. It has holes in it, are you confusing one of them for the hole for the retaining screw?

There is no way that the plastic cover for the temp control switch will come out without removing the circuit board or the battery. It does look as though it is not secured otherwise. From your description, I'm guessing you removed the orange tape and the battery, hence the extra loose parts. I've never removed the tape.

For the record, there is nothing in the terms of the warranty from Ploom that prohibits simple disassembly.
Cool! Yeah I took everything possible apart after I was under the impression it wasnt fixable (out of curiosity haha)- The tape and all. Yes that black thing pops right off, its just pressed and snaps in place. I also forgot completely to mention the magnets haha, those were fun finding. Jesus. And then realizing that there were two stuck togeather after being under the impression that I had only found one haha. Well my repair held, I just used it and its great. I really love the fact that you can take this apart and not void the warranty, thanks for clearing that up!!!!!

Will someone refresh me on the blinking orange lights? Mine did that while heating up today, then shut off. I clicked the mouthpiece closed, popped it back up and it's been working fine since with no problems..
My old one did it when it was dirty. My newer one did it because the battery was not connected. Im not sure but I think it indicates that the oven is not heating properly.
edit-Errr sorry bout the double post I thought my first post got in before the prior

mod note: Thank you for noticing. Posts merged.

Mr.Krinkle,

KingAnimal

They need to make plastic end caps that fit tightly over both ends of the PAX. and if one of those endcaps had headphone jack , it could totally pass as a MP3 player. even under close examination

They need to put a 2Gb MP# player in the thing with aheadphone jack, alos ditch the mouthpeice being a switch also, cuse the issues are not worth it, just make it a mouthpeice that still ejects out like it does today and some switch on it that controls music and burner on low/mid/hi keep it simple and keep the cool lights.

KingAnimal,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
They need to put a 2Gb MP# player in the thing with aheadphone jack, alos ditch the mouthpeice being a switch also, cuse the issues are not worth it, just make it a mouthpeice that still ejects out like it does today and some switch on it that controls music and burner on low/mid/hi keep it simple and keep the cool lights.
hahaha that seems over kill to expect them to do that but cool idea. It'd be a cool mod tho. The switch seems fine now that they have added a delay.
Side note, I mentioned earlier that the new pax I recieved had a narrower diameter tube, I just measured it and they are exactly the same diameter. Sorry for the miss-info!

Mr.Krinkle,

BTBAM

Interesting.. hopefully it's from not being clean.
I learned first hand this weekend how much the Pax can be affected by different strains. Brought it to my friends house for a small super bowl party, and with 8 of us using the Pax there were at least 3 different kinds of bud going into it.
I had cleaned the Pax squeaky clean right before the party, and the next day after this when I went to turn it on, the mouthpiece had never been so stuck!

BTBAM,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
Hey I just took mine back apart, the external screw found on the back screws right into that plastic piece that clips in right above the tape. My new tape was covering the mechanism that activates party mode (accelerometer?) So that issue has been resolved by using the same width tape Ploom used (I originally used stuff wider than scotch tape- thought it'd help, whoops.) It slid back together so smoothly, if the case fights you then the wires are probably pinched, they have little notches where the wires should sit tight. Party mode works fine, this thing works like new now!!!!!!!!!!

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
krinkle you lucky bastard! i know you went through alot of shit but a bonus pax plus an upgraded pax should keep you pretty fuckin happy i suppose!
bahhaha:rofl: i know i was just thinking about how funny things turned out over the last 2 weeks. I was really under the impression my outlets were genuinly haunted. It was really dumb luck getting it running, you can see my gears start turning through that whole quad-post hahaha, what a crap shoot. I know nothing about soldering haha, just noticed they were clearly damaged so I reheated them. I couldnt BELIEVE it when it heated up, I started shouting, I was so distracted with excitement I burnt my bed all the way down to the mattress because I put my torch down on it after heating it up:doh: I think these things are going through hell coming from cali to anywhere in the winter, which may have attributed to my bad luck. I cannot stop uttering the phrase "Akimbo Pax" in my head hahahha

Mr.Krinkle,

welderboy

its 4:20 somewhere.....
IMG_20130207_060135_zpsd01084c9.jpg
yup, that plastic piece just pops out

Metacognitionist

I got my Pax last night. I believe I received the older, glossier version, but I have nothing to compare it against. I did notice that mine arrived completely dead of battery. I thought that might be a new development. I did immediately begin to charge it, and I had to run some errands anyway, so, it was charged to over green on its initial setup.

Its a great introduction to vaping. I must say I will echo others first time experiences that vaping is not as "satisfying" as smoking, but there is no doubt that it is medicating me. My first attempt was essentially a one hitter. I packed my regular waterpipe piece, emptied it, and filled that into the Pax for a comparison against my normal usage, and vaped on Medium. On the couch, watching TV with my wife, she did not notice. It tasted delicious, but the results seemed disappointing. I then went to pack again on a commercial break and as I was tapping down the last bit of a full keef/flower oven, when I started to feel effects. I then decided not to waste my packing efforts and returned to the couch. A couple more peels off the Pax blend and I was no longer watching TV. Instead, all my attention had been concentrated on the three ring circus localized entirely within my brain. I went to bed afterwards, woke up this morning, took a couple peels off the same packed Pax, and I am good to go.

I am a little concerned about my unit. After these two/three small sessions on medium, I checked my battery and it was already at yellow. I was hoping it would still be green, but maybe this is common. I'm certainly not complaining. So far, so great. I'm taking it to work for a full field test today, after another overgreen charging session.

Thanks again for everyones collective recommendation and experiences, it made my purchasing decision easier, and more confidant. I hope to post occasionally, everyone seems welcoming. And now that I have to learn about vaping as a whole, I might be around the main board, too. However, I am a lurker by nature, so you might just see my name popping up, liking posts. See you around, I have to go Pax in the shower.

Metacognitionist,

Tweek

Battery life can vary depending on the temp setting, how often you turn it off and on and general usage times. I can get up to an hour max and as little as half an hour off of mine.

Edit: I also found mine performed better after being broken in a bit.

JoeKickass

Its a great introduction to vaping. I must say I will echo others first time experiences that vaping is not as "satisfying" as smoking, but there is no doubt that it is medicating me... I am a little concerned about my unit. After these two/three small sessions on medium, I checked my battery and it was already at yellow.

Don't worry, if you are used to smoking you're just missing the headrush/lack of oxygen part of it. After about a week, vaping will feel pretty "full-body"

The battery seems ok, I think I got about 2 bowls per battery color (6 until flashing red) If it was dead for a while it might not last quite as long as one that was never run down, but keep charging it and you should see an improvement in any case

jambandphan03

in flavor country
also vaping tends to "creep" up, after about 10-15 mins after I vape, I continue to feel the effects get stronger. That is probably the most common mistake smokers make because they are trying to achieve that same smoking rush (combustion/lack of oxygen) but when you vape, you are actually getting more of the actives all at once, you just don't feel it all at once, there seems to be a time dealy. I get serious head rush from the VXL Cloud, so if that is what you are after, there is a vape out there that will accommodate your needs, its just not portable. Pax on Med will work well, but if you are truly seeking the kick to the head, try the HIGH setting, it will just heat your herb much faster and hotter, so it won't last as long as on low/med, and the flavor will turn faster. I tend to run mine on low for the first couple of rounds, then I stir the load and bump it up to med, then high, to finish off the load. You will get pretty dark ABV on the high setting, and a couple of stirs might get you a few more pulls, but the flavor will have gone by then.

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I am a little concerned about my unit. After these two/three small sessions on medium, I checked my battery and it was already at yellow. I was hoping it would still be green, but maybe this is common.
This is FINE! Your alright, I know this sounds dumb but I think the Pax battery indicator gets more accurate after a day or two of emptying and charging, and even then I wouldnt expect your unit to have a green battery after a few sessions, even short ones. I would bet the most power used is heating it up. If you want a longer battery life leave it on the charger a while extra, in an email from ploom they told me to leave it on an extra half hour after it turns green on the charger, the charge is not complete at green.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
having my first really stuck MP issue, it's really jammed. I have the one with my tubing attached, so I am able to get a pretty good grip, and no matter how much I push and pull, and blow and warm, it will not come out. It feels like the latch is hung up or something. I'll keep working on it... :\ I hope to get it out, so I can keep this model around a while. Might just need a deeper cleaning, I've been lazy recently. It got stuck once before, and after some working, popped loose.

**edit: hot hair drier did the trick... whew, this thing needs a cleaning!

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Mr.Krinkle

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
I recently went on lazy spree myself. It got to the point where the MP needed assistance and came out like a snail. I just did a deep thorough cleaning today and its fresh to death! Its probably a piece of the tubing stuck, sometimes I forget its on there and close it and when I open it I feel the friction and quickly remove the tubing. Good luck! :)

Live-N-Learn,

Boss

Since my Pax broke 2 weeks ago I have been missing it dearly. I've been forced back to combustion. I packed it up and sent it in to Vape World. I had to pay my own shipping and I chose the quickest option because I was extremely eager to have a working Pax back in my hand. I prodded support a little and my representative said he would suggest a faster return option. My Pax was inspected and it was concluded I would need a new unit. I was hoping to get it back before the end of this week. I was then informed they had no amethyst Pax's in stock. They offered to send an onyx right away but personally I don't want that. They said they were expecting a shipment within two weeks. Two weeks?! It's frustrating.

I didn't have my Pax for more than three months, but here I am waiting, and will wait, for almost a month before my replacement arrives. I am honestly regretting not going directly through Ploom. I heard nothing but great things about VW, which is why I ordered there, yet I've seen no advantages (Aside from the acrylic grinder that has never been used). I've read here that Ploom has pre paid postage and even overnights a replacement back sometimes, but I had to pay my own shipping (extra for quickness), will most likely not have it overnighted back, and have to wait two weeks to use a replacement.

Boss,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
Way too cool. Looks like a Pax ascent now lol

Since my Pax broke 2 weeks ago I have been missing it dearly. I've been forced back to combustion. I packed it up and sent it in to Vape World. I had to pay my own shipping and I chose the quickest option because I was extremely eager to have a working Pax back in my hand. I prodded support a little and my representative said he would suggest a faster return option. My Pax was inspected and it was concluded I would need a new unit. I was hoping to get it back before the end of this week. I was then informed they had no amethyst Pax's in stock. They offered to send an onyx right away but personally I don't want that. They said they were expecting a shipment within two weeks. Two weeks?! It's frustrating.

I didn't have my Pax for more than three months, but here I am waiting, and will wait, for almost a month before my replacement arrives. I am honestly regretting not going directly through Ploom. I heard nothing but great things about VW, which is why I ordered there, yet I've seen no advantages (Aside from the acrylic grinder that has never been used). I've read here that Ploom has pre paid postage and even overnights a replacement back sometimes, but I had to pay my own shipping (extra for quickness), will most likely not have it overnighted back, and have to wait two weeks to use a replacement.

Yeah it sucks they told me the same thing at vapeworld, so what I did was contact Ploom and ploom took care of me and gave me the free shipping labels. Sucks that you sent it in otherwise you couldve done the same thing. At first VW was cool and gave me a free MP but then they told me I had to pay, and after seeing people get free shipping from Ploom I went ahead with it as well and they were 100% helpful. Still didnt receive my tshirt though. Dbags lol

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
haha just ask for one, I did and they sent me two! They were even nice enough to tip me off that they ran small so I bought a size up, fits perfect :D And damn, seriously I was not going to order those vinyls, wasnt sure if the blue would show on the edges and look weird, that looks so damn cool I had to order them.
how hard was that to do? Is there a major seam on the back where the ends meet?

Mr.Krinkle,

Boss

Way too cool. Looks like a Pax ascent now lol

Yeah it sucks they told me the same thing at vapeworld, so what I did was contact Ploom and ploom took care of me and gave me the free shipping labels. Sucks that you sent it in otherwise you couldve done the same thing. At first VW was cool and gave me a free MP but then they told me I had to pay, and after seeing people get free shipping from Ploom I went ahead with it as well and they were 100% helpful. Still didnt receive my tshirt though. Dbags lol
See, they didn't tell me they had a shortage until my unit arrived at their facilities.

Boss,

Sonics420

That is sick looking. Can you use the wrap from autozone or oreillys? Might be the same if you dont want to order and wait.

Sonics420,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom