Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonics420

Cool. Did you notice anything different from before? Mine has the delayed temp light button too. And the temp light button seems more raised and kind of clear looking..

INFAMOUS!!!! I miss you, your at home watching TV while im at work. :(
I see a lot of glass on glass in that case, is it really safe? Can you drop it on the floor and the glass will stay intact?

I definitely need a better way to travel with it then wrapping it in the original bubble wrap, thats for sure. lol

Edit: Couldnt wait for a response, I pulled the trigger anyway LOL. I dont use that piece on the right side so it should fit a bit easier without it.
Thanks.

:lol: I'm the same way. Plus, for $6, how can you lose?

I gotta say, it fits nice and tight in there, no rattle whatsoever, even with the glass-on-glass. It feels really solid when it's closed up, and I feel like it could take a fair fall without damage, but I'm not going to test it out. I do feel pretty comfortable grabbing it and hitting the road, though. I don't think you'll regret buying the pouch.

TheDudeNextDoor,
Cool. Did you notice anything different from before? Mine has the delayed temp light button too. And the temp light button seems more raised and kind of clear looking..
Yea i have the delayed button as well. It is not lit till about a second after i remove the mouthpiece

TheTurtleClub,
Reactions: Mr.Krinkle

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
:lol: I'm the same way. Plus, for $6, how can you lose?

I gotta say, it fits nice and tight in there, no rattle whatsoever, even with the glass-on-glass. It feels really solid when it's closed up, and I feel like it could take a fair fall without damage, but I'm not going to test it out. I do feel pretty comfortable grabbing it and hitting the road, though. I don't think you'll regret buying the pouch.

I will let you know once I receive it, I don't think it will be a problem though and I cant complain with the price. I dont blame you for not going to test out the safety of it. How about a 3 foot drop just for fun though? LOL

JCruiser

is the new texture for the other colors too? From the pic i really like it on the black. Im not so sure I would like it much on my blue one, but the darn thing can be awfully slippery sometimes.

JCruiser,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
is the new texture for the other colors too? From the pic i really like it on the black. Im not so sure I would like it much on my blue one, but the darn thing can be awfully slippery sometimes.
Yea thats why I asked my new one is a total different shade of blue and is much rougher, I am guessing they bead blast them and then hard coat it longer.
Edit- Side note, Pax still works flawlessly! :lol: I feel like some of you are just waiting for me to come on here with some new problem hahaha. I ran my pax through the gauntlets last night to see if I could get the temp light to occur, I let it get extremely dirty and it worked fine, I let it sit in my windowsill for a minute to cool it lower than room temp and still the button did not stick. I have not used lube on this thing once! I mentioned my airpath looks the tiniest bit narrower, I wonder if this was to remedy the mouthpiece sticking when resinated. I love my pax I have only smoked once sense my new one came, and it was only because I was offered a bowl. I made a few cool mods :) Made a short whip attachment, the very tip has a fast food straw attached, maybe a little more than an inch, the pax sits in a fast food cup, the tube goes to the lid, and then whats exposed is the regular mcdonnalds straw. I'd probably replace the straw a lot to be safe. next mod is more for just carrying it around. Cut a old pair of headphones, the wire fits in the mouth piece, wrap the headphones around the pax with the wire inserted to the mouthpiece, if anyone asks to empty your pockets at first glance it'll just look like an mp3 player wrapped up. I thought about drilling a mouthpiece out a little to see if it'd fit with out cutting the headphones but on second thought It seemed retarded to do that. I want to try some dunkin donuts small hot cups today and see if those work with out the hose attachment, thatd be better (no hose, steam coming out of a hot cup looks a lot less suspicious than a cold cup from mcdonnalds) Ill post pics later, the cup is funny as hell.

Mr.Krinkle,

JoeKickass

Mr.Krinkle said:
Pax still works flawlessly! :lol: I feel like some of you are just waiting for me to come on here with some new problem hahaha... I love my pax I have only smoked once sense my new one came, and it was only because I was offered a bowl.
That's awesome man I bet you're glad that whole nightmare is over! Enjoy the Pax!

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
That's awesome man I bet you're glad that whole nightmare is over! Enjoy the Pax!
fuck yes! I love it so much. I want to get in touch with someone who knows these electronics, Id love to get the broken pax working that they didnt want back :lol: backup pax? why the fuck not? That one guy that did all the battery mods seemed to know his stuff (not the one that broke it, the one that claims his works for 6 hours straight:o) I could probably bring it somewhere local maybe? It was never used. A guy at the end of my street owns a shop, he went to new england tech he says he can fix anything with a battery. hmmm....
edit- so after posting this I went ahead and disassembled the Pax. It is not repairable, now I see why they tell you when you see the three orange lights to just send it in. The flat cable at the bottom that connects the controller to the oven is damaged, it had thick corrosive battery residue around the three connectors and the corner of the cable was chipped off at the electrical contact. I removed the case EXTREMELY slow, and this part is tucked into a contour anyway, I am 100% sure I didnt damage this removing the shell. This makes sense why I can still charge it, turn it on, and change settings with out any heat what so ever. I would never encourage taking these apart, there are 3 pieces that are tiny that you could potentially loose, rendering this useless. The only scenario where I'd see my self taking one apart is if my warranty is dead, and the only thing I can honestly picture anyone fixing with out electronic knowledge is the temp button. It is extremely easy to remove and clean the temp button, and reattach it. Nothing clips it in place other than the body. The orings are so small and fragile too, so seriously dont fuck with these unless you've already voided your warranty some how. I did successfully reassemble it with some trial and error. Power still runs, temp still changes, just no heat. Oh well. Neat! :lol:
second edit- https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A7JtdOXmJIPBTw This guy was the one I mentioned earlier who seems to know his shit. The bottom left picture, in the bottom left corner of that picture you can see a clear cable coming from the oven with a 12 on it connected to 3 connectors, mine was covered in corrosion and was chipped around the third (bottom) connector.- seems he lost his orings looking at these pics, and dear god what the fucking fuck did you do to that oven?
Okay Final edit- I just repaired my broken pax! FUCK YEAH! ahahahahaha! I am so fucking happy right now, the corrosive shit on the cable was not allowing a contact, I used a torch lighter (oh my god) because I didnt have a soldering iron. I heated a metal rod and pushed it down to each contact. After a few tries it heated up so fast it burnt my fingertip (i had my finger in the oven to see if it'd heat) So, I got myself a backup pax it looks like. :D
Just reassembled everything, it works! No weird smoke or smells haha, one thing that has broken in the process, the party mode no longer works, the motion sensor works still, it switches to idle if you leave it. Hmmm....

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
The only scenario where I'd see my self taking one apart is if my warranty is dead, and the only thing I can honestly picture anyone fixing with out electronic knowledge is the temp button. It is extremely easy to remove and clean the temp button, and reattach it. Nothing clips it in place other than the body.

That's not the temperature control button, that's a piece of plastic that simply covers the LED so that the light is distributed more evenly in the X cutout. You can't remove the temp control button. It's under the white plastic block in the upper left of this picture:

KrLY6.jpg

It's not easy to tell from this picture but that dark grey blob at the end of the switch is actually a connection to the PCB.

I just wanted to make this point before someone assumed that you can fix a stuck temperature switch by opening the Pax.

pakalolo,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
That's not the temperature control button, that's a piece of plastic that simply covers the LED so that the light is distributed more evenly in the X cutout. You can't remove the temp control button. It's under the white plastic block in the upper left of this picture:
It's not easy to tell from this picture but that dark grey blob at the end of the switch is actually a connection to the PCB.

I just wanted to make this point before someone assumed that you can fix a stuck temperature switch by opening the Pax.
Thanks for the heads up! I know what you are talking about, however, I wasn't talking about the light shroud, I assure you the temp button is removable, I only know because I reassembled it and went to adjust the temp, only to find there was no button! (like i said it took me a few tries to figure out how it reassembled properly) I promptly searched the floor and found it, the three parts that you can loose are the light cover, the button for the temp, and the small plastic bracket on the back that holds the one external screw, it also holds one wire down, out of the way of being pinched from the case (on mine any way) The temp button was extremely easy to remove and reassemble, but DO NOT FUCK WITH THESE unless your warranty is gone and you have nothing to loose.
I can take a pic if its helpful to anyone (or if you dont believe me :lol:)! If anyone has any questions or would like quality pics of any particular part let me know!
Edit- well the little white button is removable, I see what you mean with the pcb switch, which is likely the part sticking. I have never had a stuck temp so I wasnt sure which part stuck until you mentioned that. If the plastic itself becomes stuck you can remove that (you have to take the mouth piece off first) if you have a broken pcb, now thats not repairable. :)
second edit- I dont want to rub anyone the wrong way! Just figured I'd share, let me know if you want me to edit or remove any of these! :D This place is an incredible resource for vape users, I DO NOT want trouble haha :lol: just trying to ad my knowledge in case anyone ends up debating on taking this apart, plus I am just so damn proud of myself considering I have never soldered a thing in my life and it was a blind guess.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Your list is short the two little magnets that hold the oven cover. They are not secured in any way and are tiny. If they fall out and you don't notice, good luck finding them.

MZtieh.jpg

The magnets are circled in red. The yellow circle encloses the pieces of O-ring that eventually got destroyed during disassembly. They isolate the heater and its insulation from the rest of the Pax.

The screw in mine is retained by a metal seat directly the body. You can see it here, it's to the right of the orange tape and right next to the end of the metal latching clip:

bgYdgh.jpg

The plastic piece to the left of the orange tape looks like it might be removable if it weren't taped down. It has holes in it, are you confusing one of them for the hole for the retaining screw?

There is no way that the plastic cover for the temp control switch will come out without removing the circuit board or the battery. It does look as though it is not secured otherwise. From your description, I'm guessing you removed the orange tape and the battery, hence the extra loose parts. I've never removed the tape.

For the record, there is nothing in the terms of the warranty from Ploom that prohibits simple disassembly.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Really? I could have sworn we found something that said that...

Where?

Exclusions and Limitations

The Limited Warranty applies only to products manufactured by Ploom, Inc. that can be identified by the “Ploom” trademark, trade name, or logo affixed to them. The Limited Warranty does not apply to any non-Ploom products. This warranty does not apply to (a) damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, flood, fire, earthquake, acts of piracy, or other external causes; (b) to damage caused by operating the product outside the permitted or intended use as described by Ploom; (c) to a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Ploom; (d) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents, and broken plastic. Warranty does not apply to any non-Ploom products.

The whole thing is on Ploom's warranty page. This matches exactly the printed text in my user manual, by the way.

welderboy

its 4:20 somewhere.....
Your list is short the two little magnets that hold the oven cover. They are not secured in any way and are tiny. If they fall out and you don't notice, good luck finding them.

MZtieh.jpg

The magnets are circled in red. The yellow circle encloses the pieces of O-ring that eventually got destroyed during disassembly. They isolate the heater and its insulation from the rest of the Pax.

The screw in mine is retained by a metal seat directly the body. You can see it here, it's to the right of the orange tape and right next to the end of the metal latching clip:

bgYdgh.jpg

The plastic piece to the left of the orange tape looks like it might be removable if it weren't taped down. It has holes in it, are you confusing one of them for the hole for the retaining screw?

There is no way that the plastic cover for the temp control switch will come out without removing the circuit board or the battery. It does look as though it is not secured otherwise. From your description, I'm guessing you removed the orange tape and the battery, hence the extra loose parts. I've never removed the tape.

For the record, there is nothing in the terms of the warranty from Ploom that prohibits simple disassembly.
i agree,,, i did a battery swap and the first lesson i learned was to keep the oven door on which will hold the magnets in. Also if the magnets fall out you must put them back in the right way because of the polarity. Plus there are two tiny pins on each side of the oven which can fall out ( they are in the groove where the o ring seats) the only other piece that is loose is the plastic lens piece that sets over the light. I removed the pcb tape and battery but nothing fell out and i used new pcb tape on the new battery. Anyway I put the pax on high (red) and partymode and stood it next to my cellphone timer. I got 1hour 36 minutes till death. I wasn't looking for any kind of dramatical improvement, just wanted to see how hard the swapout was so i wouldn't have to send it in when the battery croaked. my baby's charged up and ready to go!!!!

welderboy,

Norlin

Classic Rocker
They need to make plastic end caps that fit tightly over both ends of the PAX. and if one of those endcaps had headphone jack , it could totally pass as a MP3 player. even under close examination

I've been thinking the same thing, I'm going to be experimenting with my friend's rapid prototyper to come up with a solution. I'll be trying for something that fits over the mouthpiece yet still inside and flush with the outside. I'm not gonna even worry about the oven door.

Norlin,
Reactions: darkrom

BTBAM

Will someone refresh me on the blinking orange lights? Mine did that while heating up today, then shut off. I clicked the mouthpiece closed, popped it back up and it's been working fine since with no problems..

BTBAM,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom