• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted in this thread about 10 days ago, announcing that I am new to vaporizing, I decided to buy a Pax, but unfortunately, my new Pax wouldn't charge. I had to send it back to vapeworld, and I still haven't received my new one (hopefully tomorrow). I haven't read through this entire thread, but I've read large chunks of it, and I've read other things about the Pax elsewhere. I want to make sure that I maintain my Pax as best I can to hopefully avoid some of the common problems, and I was hoping you guys could chime in with some tips about how best to use the Pax and how to keep it in the best condition possible.

I am prepared to clean the device regularly, and I've read that it is wise to wait until the Pax cools down to charge it to avoid some resin problems. Also, I've heard it is recommended to take the mouthpiece out when charging it. Are there other important things I should know?

Bonerholdjokenuts,

mephisto

Dear Boner, the Pax definitely likes to be clean. It does not take long to do, but a clean Pax is a happy Pax. My first Pax had to be returned due to battery issues. Since its return, I have not had any problems at all.
I do not clean mine with any regularity, and I don't intend to. It works quite well as my daily driver. Most folks have found that the oven does not have to be full, just well packed, to provide good amounts of vapor. I find that after 1 session on medium, I can let the unit cool and just flip the "brick" of herb over, repack, and then enjoy a 2nd session. This vape will hold the odor of your herb once it has been used, so be prepared. Overall, I have been very happy with my purchase. I even bought a second used Pax, just so I can leave one at the house, and have another for travel. Good Luck, and happy vaping......

mephisto,
I posted in this thread about 10 days ago, announcing that I am new to vaporizing, I decided to buy a Pax, but unfortunately, my new Pax wouldn't charge. I had to send it back to vapeworld, and I still haven't received my new one (hopefully tomorrow). I haven't read through this entire thread, but I've read large chunks of it, and I've read other things about the Pax elsewhere. I want to make sure that I maintain my Pax as best I can to hopefully avoid some of the common problems, and I was hoping you guys could chime in with some tips about how best to use the Pax and how to keep it in the best condition possible.

I am prepared to clean the device regularly, and I've read that it is wise to wait until the Pax cools down to charge it to avoid some resin problems. Also, I've heard it is recommended to take the mouthpiece out when charging it. Are there other important things I should know?

Start with the Vaporpedia page linked in my sig. That will give you most of the info you need and then you can supplement with the discussions here. Welcome to the Paxiverse!

jay87

So I got the temp light issue a little bit?

I would have times where my pax will turn to the color of the temp its on, but if i wiggled the mouthpiece slightly or pushed it down the temp light issue would go away instantly.

So yeah, just a suggestion if you have the temp light issue try pushing the mouthpiece a little and it may fix your issue.

You can also remove the mouthpiece and blow on it from the tube end and re-affix. That should resolve the problem long enough to enjoy a session.

TheDudeNextDoor,
Reactions: ogcook

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
might want to specify what a sig is to beginners, some people may not have a clue what that means :lol: Yep the wiggle the mouth piece thing is what I've been doing too, I pop it down slightly, and it goes away, some times it comes back, I just tap it again.

Mr.Krinkle,
Reactions: ogcook

filteredhead

I noticed the HE Ti flat head dabber tool slides perfectly down the Pax vapor tube, nice snug fit.
01_Flat%20Head%20Dabber.jpg

Was hoping to keep my pipe cleaners cleaner while cleaning the old Pax so figured maybe I could remove some of the build-up prior. So this time while cleaning, before running a pipe cleaner through the vapor tube, I first inserted the HE dabber tool pretty far down into the tube twisting/rotating it and then pulled it back out and while keeping the twisting/rotating motion in play. It helped to have the Pax just slightly warm.
CedmZKP.jpg
IbPAiSA.jpg

SQU5xyZ.jpg

Looks like some abv re-claim to re-vape or maybe save up for chocolate milk?

Big news everyone...I heard back from Ploom and can confirm that Propylene Gycol is indeed the lube they stock. They covered themselves, saying that they cannot advise using a brand other than what they provide, and they advise using the lube sparingly, but they did confirm that Propylene Glycol is the correct type of lube.

The Vaporpedia page is updated. I still haven't put anything in there about the various glass connection ideas. Jamband and VapedandConfused had some great ideas with pics and everything. What do you guys think? Add it or not?

TheDudeNextDoor,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
The Vaporpedia page is updated. I still haven't put anything in there about the various glass connection ideas. Jamband and VapedandConfused had some great ideas with pics and everything. What do you guys think? Add it or not?
I wouldn't mind seeing my work on the page!

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

jay87

Adding them would save me the trouble of going back through this thread to see what they had done.

jay87,

filteredhead

So I got the temp light issue a little bit?

I would have times where my pax will turn to the color of the temp its on, but if i wiggled the mouthpiece slightly or pushed it down the temp light issue would go away instantly.

So yeah, just a suggestion if you have the temp light issue try pushing the mouthpiece a little and it may fix your issue.
I've seen this mid-session temp light issue too even after a good cleaning and liberal use of lube. Basically during the 2nd session after the cleaning the temp light issue occurs mid-session while Pax is fully heated and hitting well (with resin flowing within tube). Sometimes all of a sudden vapor gets thin and notice Pax is falling in and out of temp light (oven off) mode just due to the mp being wiggled around by pressure from pressing against lips. Yup I gotta fiddle with the Pax, usually wiggle the mp piece around at that point, kinda finicky but the little unit does produce some great vapor clouds even on low.

filteredhead,

Sonics420

Hey guys i was using my pax through a new water bong i bought and noticed little white specks throughout the bong.. could it be glass dust or something?

Sonics420,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
that is probably vapor condensing in the water, and will stick to the inside of your glass as it builds up. If you use your glass until it looks "dirty" then dump the water, and wash it out with alcohol, save the alcohol, all that build up is pure thc oil, and can be reclaimed and reused if you wish to do so. Not like the nasty stuff from combustion bong water (resin).

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Sonics420

welderboy

its 4:20 somewhere.....
IMG_20130122_122009_zpsb037465f.jpg
i picked these brushes up off of ebay for like $4.00, free shipping. they are used to clean airbrush guns, tattoo guns, etc. They are stiff nylon bristles, and provide good scrubbing action. I was getting tired of all the cotton fuzzies from pipe cleaners, and i think pipe cleaners soak up too much iso and just slosh the oils around, causing even more problems. they work great, i just did a quick scrub on my pax with the slightest amount of iso possible and it operates like it just came out of the box. it has that clean mechanical feeling when you press the mp up and down (you know what i mean lol). i dont have the link, just google "airbrush cleaning brushes" you will get a million hits, ranging from $4.00 to $20.00. the small ones work well in the switch/latch area. i don't foresee any temp light issues in my future. cheers.

darkrom

Great Scott!
Is it unreasonable of me to want to use my Pax 100% lube free forever?

Is there anything stopping me from using it that way? The way I see it the only downside to not using the lube would be more frequent cleanings right?

jambandphan03

in flavor country
If you can make your Pax work with out the lube... go for it. Maybe using those brushes to clean it better would be enough?? I've been using the lube because I have been lazy lately and not cleaning very often. I am interested in those brushes though, much more thorough cleaning I bet.

jambandphan03,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I might try to pick some up if I can get to Harbor today or tomorrow. I did just order like 132 quality pipe cleaners though. I'd gladly spend the $4 for those brushes.

Somehow I just don't view the lube as necessary as much as a really convenient shortcut for when a good cleaning is out of the question. I hope that turns out to be correct.

darkrom,

Tweek

You just have to be careful not to stick the brushes in when the unit is too hot...those plastic bristles will melt, unlike the pipe cleaners. I used to use the same ones when I smoked a regular tobacco pipe.

IMG_20130122_122009_zpsb037465f.jpg
i picked these brushes up off of ebay for like $4.00, free shipping. they are used to clean airbrush guns, tattoo guns, etc. They are stiff nylon bristles, and provide good scrubbing action. I was getting tired of all the cotton fuzzies from pipe cleaners, and i think pipe cleaners soak up too much iso and just slosh the oils around, causing even more problems. they work great, i just did a quick scrub on my pax with the slightest amount of iso possible and it operates like it just came out of the box. it has that clean mechanical feeling when you press the mp up and down (you know what i mean lol). i dont have the link, just google "airbrush cleaning brushes" you will get a million hits, ranging from $4.00 to $20.00. the small ones work well in the switch/latch area. i don't foresee any temp light issues in my future. cheers.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is that silver tool below the mouthpiece and what do you use it for? My replacement Pax came in the mail today, and I'm psyched to try it out in a bit. What temperature settings do you guys recommend? I figured I would start on low, take some draws, stir it up, and then do the same on medium. Is that a decent method?

Bonerholdjokenuts,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Excuse my ignorance, but what is that silver tool below the mouthpiece and what do you use it for? My replacement Pax came in the mail today, and I'm psyched to try it out in a bit. What temperature settings do you guys recommend? I figured I would start on low, take some draws, stir it up, and then do the same on medium. Is that a decent method?
I'm assuming (since its the same size as the oven) that it's a packer with a stirrer on the other end. I woul really like one of those!

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom