Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Do notice any vapor leaking out where the mp tube attaches to the inner tube ????
Not a bit. It's a damn tight unit!

that looks much more manageable VaPeD&CoNfUsEd I thought the loop looked like a bit too much tubing myself. Nice :D Rubber band the pax to the bub and it can be one piece.

That's how I felt about it too. So I used my butane heat gun to form the tubing smaller without any kink.

@welder
Yeah I've got some of those I love boobies bracelets somewhere that I'm sure will work perfect.

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Do notice any vapor leaking out where the mp tube attaches to the inner tube ????

I'm not sure why you asked this, but I'd just like to point out that your Pax is always leaking vapour once it heats up. It has to, because (say it together class) it's always heating your load. If you put your finger over the MP to keep it from escaping, it backs up inside the Pax and starts condensing.

Shine a strong light across your MP sometime.

I just have to extol the virtues of the Pax once more. I was in a group of four friends who were sharing my Pax. My best friend, who has breast cancer and is going through chemo right now, was unable to hit the Pax after us because of her immunocompromised state. As a workaround, I just took the MP out and told her to hit it like a bong, with her lips inside the opening. It worked perfectly and she was blowing clouds like the rest of us!:clap:

fudpucker

OK, guys, I don't want to post this, because I REALLY want to LOVE my Ploom. It is so elegant, so cool, so convenient compared to my MFLB and Buddha. I love, love, love the design.

But - for some reason, it just doesn't seem to be working for us (Wifey and me.) We take the same herb, to keep that variable constant. Use it with the Buddha for an evening session, get totally buzzed. Like - staring at the movie or TV show and giggling and major munchies buzzed. Same for the MFLB.

But for some reason we can use the same amount of herb in our beautiful Ploom and just get slightly chill. Nowhere near the same buzz. And I have no idea why.

What I've tried:
1. very fine grind (as in coffee grinder fine) and just decent grind (as in two piece hand grinder.)
2. starting at medium and going from beginning until pretty well deep brown/blackened. (don't need "high" setting for that.)
3. starting at low, taking a lot of hits at that level, then moving to medium and going until load is done.
4. short small "puffs" vs. longer, deeper hits.

I am baffled. I know people in a forum want to defend their investment - heaven forbid you "challenge" the MFLB in that thread or the Buddha in that thread. So I don't want to look like a hater or troll here. We REALLY want to be able to get the same buzz with the Ploom we do with the Buddha or MFLB, but just aren't.

Ideas? Thanks!

fudpucker,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
I don't like the short puffs, I think that is something to start yourself on it..

It is an art to get massive hits, and an art to get ripped on so little. I try to think about this. Taking the longest, slowest hits that I can. I also found that in making this cheap bong, that I can really tell how much I have hit, as you can see it.

Another cheater way that I tell my friends about, is to actually take those small puffs you are talking about and then blow it out of your nose while the pax is still in your mouth. This is a good visual indicator to see if you are doing it right.

If you are getting thick clouds off of that, then I say take a good pull at whatever speed that you were just hitting at... Just my .02

ILoveCollege,
Reactions: MzVape

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ideas? Thanks!

Yeah, take slower but longer hits, and not small puffs. And hold it in a bit. Also, make sure the screen is slightly raised on the hole side. I find that makes a huge difference in how easy it is to pull, and that makes a big difference on how much vapor I get.

newVaper420,
Reactions: MzVape

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I want to love mine. I am finally going to do a charge test today after a few solid nights of charging. The temp light is a constant little annoyance, my first two I never saw this once, with this model I have had it every time I have turned it on, sense first use. Its not an issue, its just annoying knowing its not supposed to do that. I have to remember to push it aganst my bottom lip with the light facing up to make sure it doesnt turn off. Even leaving it on party mode doesnt remedy this. Its a model issue not a mouthpiece or lube issue. I have two mouth pieces and it does it with both. I tried polishing one of them and that didnt help. Use lube and that doesnt help. Meh. Depending on if this one gets a two hour charge or not it may go back. I really love it other than these fucking issues. A few things Id love to see on another model, A heat button instead of a sensor (Sensor seems like somthing extra to go wrong) ON OFF SWITCH INDEPENDENT OF MOUTH PIECE (This is a no brainer, cool idea, but it fucks up more than it should) You could also have an internal on off exactly as is, but a pin and button off to the side instead of a clasp around the air path. This would be much more reliable. You could have a second small hole with a second pin and when you push the MP down past the on off switch it would adjust the power setting. (this is a little tricky to explain but it make sense in my head haha) I got the push for power settings idea from flash lights that have different modes to choose from with a simular switch, except its the opposite, you tap it to change the mode (low, high, emergency strobe) or push it all the way in to turn it off. WIth the way the Pax works I think itd make sense to have it push all the way in to change the mode. It doesnt make sense to incorporate power options just to have you fuck with the mouth piece to change the settings. I find that I just leave mine on red to avoid having to fuck with the temp settings, its not very discrete if you have to fiddle with a bunch of fine parts.

Mr.Krinkle,

darkrom

Great Scott!
So after cleaning my pax it really tastes like ISO. How do I avoid this? I wash the mouthpiece in water, the oven door I do just the metal part in iso, then wash in water. I moisten the pipe cleaner with iso and slide through. Then what to get rid of the taste? Somehow a day later I can detect it which is unusual for me.

Also, does anyone know some stronger better pipe cleaners I can order online that fit well?

darkrom,

JoeKickass

So after cleaning my pax it really tastes like ISO. How do I avoid this? I wash the mouthpiece in water, the oven door I do just the metal part in iso, then wash in water. I moisten the pipe cleaner with iso and slide through. Then what to get rid of the taste? Somehow a day later I can detect it which is unusual for me.

Also, does anyone know some stronger better pipe cleaners I can order online that fit well?

Just do a couple Party mode burn offs, should be gone within 10 mins

gosaints420

I want to love mine. I am finally going to do a charge test today after a few solid nights of charging. The temp light is a constant little annoyance, my first two I never saw this once, with this model I have had it every time I have turned it on, sense first use. Its not an issue, its just annoying knowing its not supposed to do that. I have to remember to push it aganst my bottom lip with the light facing up to make sure it doesnt turn off. Even leaving it on party mode doesnt remedy this. Its a model issue not a mouthpiece or lube issue. I have two mouth pieces and it does it with both. I tried polishing one of them and that didnt help. Use lube and that doesnt help. Meh. Depending on if this one gets a two hour charge or not it may go back. I really love it other than these fucking issues. A few things Id love to see on another model, A heat button instead of a sensor (Sensor seems like somthing extra to go wrong) ON OFF SWITCH INDEPENDENT OF MOUTH PIECE (This is a no brainer, cool idea, but it fucks up more than it should) You could also have an internal on off exactly as is, but a pin and button off to the side instead of a clasp around the air path. This would be much more reliable. You could have a second small hole with a second pin and when you push the MP down past the on off switch it would adjust the power setting. (this is a little tricky to explain but it make sense in my head haha) I got the push for power settings idea from flash lights that have different modes to choose from with a simular switch, except its the opposite, you tap it to change the mode (low, high, emergency strobe) or push it all the way in to turn it off. WIth the way the Pax works I think itd make sense to have it push all the way in to change the mode. It doesnt make sense to incorporate power options just to have you fuck with the mouth piece to change the settings. I find that I just leave mine on red to avoid having to fuck with the temp settings, its not very discrete if you have to fiddle with a bunch of fine parts.

just wondering if you are cleaning this area and still having problems

if you look down the tube you can see the "latch" which makes the electrical connection. it's the dark spot at 12 o'clock in the pic. it works just like the strike on a house door. when the mouthpiece is up, the "latch" sets in the bottom groove of the mouthpiece stem and makes the electrical contact between itself and the downstem. if you take a paperclip and make contact between the "latch" and the tube, you can see how this works. when the mp is down, the "latch" engages that little sliding clasp, and locks in. the clasp slides so you can push the mp down that little bit and then it disengages, and the spring pops the mp up. i just make sure to keep the "latch" area and the stainless tubes clean, and i never have a temp problem. i just use dill bristled pipe cleaners and a smidge of iso just to keep the cotton fuzzies from sticking all over. im talking a matter of seconds.i think once you understand how simple the pax really is, and how it works, keeping it running smooth is a piece of cake. cheers....
IMG_20130116_060641_zps3599dc7f.jpg

gosaints420

I hear you, I really want to pull the trigger on a Pax but after hearing this it is making it a very hard decision.

gosaints420,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I hear you, I really want to pull the trigger on a Pax but after hearing this it is making it a very hard decision.

Well, if I can give you any comfort, I have zero problems with my Pax. Yes sometimes I have the temp light issue (well I guess that ain't zero), but all you have to do is clean it and you are good to go. And if you are out, just wipe the outside of the metal part of the mouthpiece with ISO wipe and you push down a few times and you are good to go.

May I recommend checking out the Inhalator (out already) or the Thermovape Cera (pre-order) if you interested in something else?

However, I'd still buy the Pax first. It's so stealthy and great, it's amazing. And it works very well

newVaper420,
Reactions: ogcook

gosaints420

Well, if I can give you any comfort, I have zero problems with my Pax. Yes sometimes I have the temp light issue (well I guess that ain't zero), but all you have to do is clean it and you are good to go. And if you are out, just wipe the outside of the metal part of the mouthpiece with ISO wipe and you push down a few times and you are good to go.

May I recommend checking out the Inhalator (out already) or the Thermovape Cera (pre-order) if you interested in something else?

However, I'd still buy the Pax first. It's so stealthy and great, it's amazing. And it works very well

Ya I've been looking at both of those but don't think they are for me. The only other portable on my radar is the Ascent but don't feel like waiting plus I just love the size and design of Pax.

It seems most people aren't having many problems but I'm worried I'll be one of the ones that do. Has anyone had any problem with Ploom issuing a replacement? I see they are sending out new mouth pieces and lube but if you still have problems after that are they replacing them without issue?

gosaints420,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
they were nice with both my returns. havent heard anyone else having a problem. They said they would send it back to me if I failed to clean it properly. Its a sweet vape, usually surprises people how heavy it can hit in such a small package. I went to pick my friend up the other day, he did not notice I was hitting it and he was sitting in my car right next to me. It was pritty damn funny, I blew out a cloud on the third hit and he was like whoa what the fuck is that!? Any problems and Ploom will no doubt help you out, unless you fuck it up your self. Like I said the temp light isnt an issue, its just annoying. Theres a sweet spot that will make the temp light come on, its annoying, but I dont think it outweighs how nice the Pax is. And, if the problem persists and worsens, Ill just return it and get a new one or a repair. :D The shippings free. 2 day shipping from coast to coast. Its a no brainer. Warranty is good for 10 years. Cant argue with that. I spend 200 bucks on electric razors that break in 2 years and I get no warranty, so you compare it to other electronics and thats not a bad deal.

Mr. Krinkle, man I hate that for you! I just cannot fathom why this continues to happen to you. I've had my Pax for a couple months now with almost zero issues, and I was a little concerned putting down the money for the same reasons. I've had the temp-light issue a couple times but no problem since learning how to deal with it and no problems at all since starting with the lube.

Fudpucker, not sure what to say. I have a Buddha also and the MFLB was my first vape, and the Pax gets me every bit as high as my Buddha and way higher than my MFLB ever did, and I am by no means a light weight. My friend, whose tolerance might be higher than mine, has a Cloud that he swears by, and my Pax can get him flying. Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom