Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Big clouds are not a sign of whether or not your vape is effective; getting medicated is your goal, so if it is achieving that, no worries :tup:The whole visible vapor is a preference thing with most people. Getting fat rips off the pax will depend on the temperature, and how full/tight your oven is as well as draw speed.

well yeah, it seems to be doing the trick. But after paying $250....I wouldn't mind seeing some big 'ol clouds! lol. Its more of just a make me feel better with myself. But what seems to be the draw preference? I tend to pull deep and slow from my diaphragm and holding for a few seconds. Is there a more successful method?

Sikeadelik,

bdbx18

How hard are you pulling? Pack the oven full and tight and then puff it like a cigar. Let me know how that works for you...

I've done both, initially hard but the last few times, much much slower. I even tried with one finger on the oven door to see if I can get some air through for an easier and softer draw. All in all, I would have used much more bud to get 'there' so I decided the Pax is not for me since I have a limited supply and a confining 'bud'-get.

bdbx18,
I got my new mouthpiece in the mail from VapeWorld, and so far everything is clicking along perfectly, even when cold. I think that I'll soak the other MP in ISO for an hour or so, and if/when the new MP sticks, I'll just trade it out.

Purrito Purrpants,
Reactions: SoCalShore

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Seems like you need a vape with an easier draw. There are many go look around.

Dreamerr,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Ive been slowly stalking this website, never really registering because up until now I couldn't afford to vape. I have a dome vape thats honestly a peice, burns the herb far too much. After renewing my MMJ card, I purchased the PAX immediately. I do enjoy it, the stealth is ridiculous..was able to medicate both at work and at my parents house. (Who don't use [probably never have]) NO ONE noticed! However, unless I hold the vapor in my mouth and waste it by blowing it out, I never see a "cloud" that everyone speaks of.

If you really want clouds, set your weed on fire. :lol:

Where exactly did you expect to see these clouds if not by exhaling? You're not pulling it through glass or filling a bag.

I only see slight traces of vapor. Or is that the point?

Yes, that is the point.

:lol: Good point. For some reason, though, it seems so much more satisfying when the cloud is apparent. I've often wondered if that is solely a sensory difference. I definitely can get high without any visible clouds, but it does seem] like I get higher when I get the big clouds.

TheDudeNextDoor,
Reactions: Sikeadelik

Tweek

well yeah, it seems to be doing the trick. But after paying $250....I wouldn't mind seeing some big 'ol clouds! lol. Its more of just a make me feel better with myself. But what seems to be the draw preference? I tend to pull deep and slow from my diaphragm and holding for a few seconds. Is there a more successful method?

Crank her up and sip or puff. Don't take a big old drag on it. It helps to let the load sit in the oven a bit between hits. Don't rush the process and you will get thicker clouds. Just kick back and enjoy.

I've done both, initially hard but the last few times, much much slower. I even tried with one finger on the oven door to see if I can get some air through for an easier and softer draw. All in all, I would have used much more bud to get 'there' so I decided the Pax is not for me since I have a limited supply and a confining 'bud'-get.

I get about 20 plus hits off of a load, so I don't really find it to be too wasteful with herb, although conduction is not as efficient as convection of course. Pack your oven tight and full, stir after a while, and work your way up in heat setting. Low won't get you many clouds, but it will give you a nice flavour and mellow feel. High smokes and knocks me out.

:lol: Good point. For some reason, though, it seems so much more satisfying when the cloud is apparent. I've often wondered if that is solely a sensory difference. I definitely can get high without any visible clouds, but it does seem] like I get higher when I get the big clouds.

I love getting slammed in the face with a fat rip. Sure it's wasteful, but for my condition, it's the quickest way to set myself straight. Its is also nice to have that smoking feel.

Okay, I finally had a chance to run a couple tanks (right lingo for the Pax? what do we call it? bowl?). First impressions: Very pleased.

I packed a fairly tight tank, set it to low, got some slight hits, not great flavor, but the herbs I have are not fully dry yet, so the flavor even in my Zap isn't great yet. Will have to test for flavor later.

Switched to medium and got several great hits, could feel plentiful vapor in the draw. I got a good 6-7 good clouds, not smoke-thick but thick enough to easily see. I then switched to high heat and got a couple more good rips with decent clouds before getting the popcorn taste. I definitely found that it is best to give the Pax a moment to stabilize between hits, especially late in the round, but in both runs, I got solid hits throughout the session with very visible clouds. I felt nice after the first round and well seasoned after the second round. I really like the oven on this thing, nice and large in the sense of the space to fill the herb. I could see this being a big plus when needing to refill in awkward situations without dropping shit everywhere.

The draw is fine with me. I can see how some who like an unrestricted draw might not be crazy about that aspect. It definitely does restrict the draw although not so much that it bothers me personally. The restricted draw, though, seems designed at least in part to minimize heat at the mouthpiece. The faster I drew, the more my lips heated up. Sometimes a harder rip is necessary, though, and I found myself having to do the draw-rest-draw-rest kind of thing to avoid the mouthpiece from getting too hot. That's not a concern for me as I figure it will just be getting the feel for the Pax and working on routine.

Of course the design is awesome, really the primary selling point for the Pax I think. Love the feel and the size, love the way it loads on the bottom and opens at the top. I REALLY like how the lights pulse almost like a heartbeat during the cycle. That is a very nice little touch.

So far, I am very happy. If it keeps performing like this, then I consider my $250 very well spent. As others have said, I can attest that this little jewel feels solid, sturdy, and well-built. Now will problems start appearing? That's the big question. I will be very diligent in keeping the Pax clean, so it won't be because of my negligence if it does. For right now, I am very, very pleased. :spliff:

Tweek

Great to hear you are enjoying it! :tup: It's usually called the oven, but meh, whatever a guy or gal likes, works for me. :D Try giving the oven a stir when you sense the vapor dying down or at the very least, in between temp changes. You will get many more hits this way (I'm up to over 20 a load) and a nice even toast.

Tweek,
Great to hear you are enjoying it! :tup: It's usually called the oven, but meh, whatever a guy or gal likes, works for me. :D Try giving the oven a stir when you sense the vapor dying down or at the very least, in between temp changes. You will get many more hits this way (I'm up to over 20 a load) and a nice even toast.

Indeed. I can see how that would be so. The abv was pretty dark but I also saw some yellowish flecks and thought a stir would be worthwhile. Nothing nearby and too lazy at that moment to go get something. So I guess it was working. :lol:

Oven! Like that. "Hey man, load an oven. let's get baked!" Perfecto!

TheDudeNextDoor,
Reactions: SoCalShore

Tweek

I actually just dump it into my palm, rub it a bit with my fingers and dump back in. Pack it down with the oven lid and done :D

Edit: Be sure to click the mouth piece on and off a couple of times when you are done and the unit is still warm. Really does seem to help keep it clear and clean. Got this tip from the thread...I think it was Joekickass?

Edit #2: Here is a collection of tips from the thread that have helped me:

--Pack the oven full and tight
--Once it comes up to temp, wait another 10-20 sec
--Treat it like a cigar. Puff or sip on it. Don't draw fast and hard.
--Let it rest in between hits to allow heat to rebuild in the oven.
--Keeping it on during your whole session, as opposed to turning it on and off constantly, goes a long way to cloud production.
--Stirring gives you more hits and a more even toast
--Try working your way through the heat settings. Low is the most flavour, least vapor production. High is the heaviest vapor production, poorest tasting.
--A clean Pax is a happy Pax. Keep ISO and resin away from the temp switch and spring area.
--Click the mouthpiece a few times when you are done vaping and the unit is still hot, to clear resin out of the mouthpiece area.
--The battery seems to take a few charges to stabilize.

Where exactly did you expect to see these clouds if not by exhaling? You're not pulling it through glass or filling a bag.

F lighting it on fire, I quit smoking cigarettes, vaping is part of my "more healthy lifestyle" lolol

But no silly, obviously you see them while exhaling. You must have misunderstood me. I meant when I exhale before allowing the vapors to reach my lungs I could see them. As in just holding it in my mouth to test if anything was coming out.

But, after further testing, I packed a full oven; as tight as I could get it....Major rips was the result. Much much much more appealing, for me at least, with a full load. I do agree that seeing the vapor is somehow satisfying lol.

I actually just dump it into my palm, rub it a bit with my fingers and dump back in. Pack it down with the oven lid and done :D

Edit: Be sure to click the mouth piece on and off a couple of times when you are done and the unit is still warm. Really does seem to help keep it clear and clean. Got this tip from the thread...I think it was Joekickass?

--Keeping it on during your whole session, as opposed to turning it on and off constantly, goes a long way to cloud production.
--Try working your way through the heat settings. Low is the most flavour, least vapor production. High is the heaviest vapor production, poorest tasting.
--A clean Pax is a happy Pax. Keep ISO and resin away from the temp switch and spring area.
--Click the mouthpiece a few times when you are done vaping and the unit is still hot, to clear resin out of the mouthpiece area.

Thanks for this, man. It's really tough trying to piece this all together through the entire thread. It seems to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a q-tip on hand when possible and dry swab the spring area and that little shaft and the oven with each load. Would you agree?

TheDudeNextDoor,

Tweek

Thanks for this, man. It's really tough trying to piece this all together through the entire thread. It seems to me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a q-tip on hand when possible and dry swab the spring area and that little shaft and the oven with each load. Would you agree?

No prob. Yeah, the general consensus seems to be that it is better to avoid ISO all together if you can and just dry scrub it while it's still hot. I stay away from the spring area altogether and so far no problems. Figure I will try cleaning it only if I have to.

I try to swab/brush out the oven after each use, the shaft once a week. Of course no harm in every day either.

Holy shite. I packed the oven with a keif sandwich, and this thing is destroying me. HUGE clouds one after another after another. And this is on medium. Damn, if this kind of performance is what I can expect long-term...I am in fucking love. :love: Cannot believe the clouds I am getting.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but this right here would be great for the Vaporpedia page for the Pax. I really wish that was a wiki so that we could post things like this there. No one knows who's in charge of that?

TheDudeNextDoor,
Reactions: Tweek

MrNorml

you already have an arizer so your good to go..

i like my solo much more than my pax, especially with the wood stem i got from ed.. if the solo was a bit smaller i would sell the pax and use it for on the go..

with that said my pax is still good to use while the solo is charging lol, or when im out and about.
I limit the Pax to travelling. Too hard to draw for daily use. Solo works better for me for daily use; Q is better for home use. So Pax has its place but not as my daily driver... but my lungs are 'different' and perhaps just not as efficient as most. I just find the Pax tough to draw but it gives huge hits and the stem doesn't break if it falls over.... So everything has its pros and cons I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom