• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I want to know what he's vaping on that put him in such a good mood.:ko:

:peace:

Stu,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Wow, it took like 4 days, but I managed to read every post in this 178-page thread. I'm officially sold on the Pax and will be ordering mine tonight from VapeBot (I couldn't resist a free bag for carrying it around) in Amethyst. I'll report back when I receive it. Wish me luck. :p

It seems like the pax will fit your needs better then what you are looking at. I hope you are happy with it.

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
Got medicated last night with a friend. We were trying different things out, and turns out that for the product that we had, medium did the most work on us. It is high quality, but just wondering,

Does anyone else notice this? That different grade works better at different temps? I think that it should make sense, but just had to ask and make sure.

ILoveCollege,
Reactions: willieR

willieR

Been here since 2009
If we look at all the Cannabinoids that can be vaped off, some vaporize at lower temps. So if you had some herbs that were strongly a head buzz to begin with, you'll likely do better vaping that on low. If you have some heavy body buzz herbs to start with, that will probably need to get to medium to vape it off.

So I agree that different herbs would behave differently at different temps

HSIHP

I have always used my Pax on low and only some times on medium. I found that I get great clouds but then again I stir about every 8 or 9 hits. The stuff I get is mid grade at best.

HSIHP,
Reactions: willieR

willieR

Been here since 2009
I have found that I like to pack the oven 1/3 full. Then stir after only a couple of hits. There's that initial shrinking of the load away from the oven walls, so I stir to re-pack. After that the clouds cometh.

80% of my sessions are at low

willieR,

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
I have found that I like to pack the oven 1/3 full. Then stir after only a couple of hits. There's that initial shrinking of the load away from the oven walls, so I stir to re-pack. After that the clouds cometh.

I have found that a full pack gave me best results.. interesting..

ILoveCollege,

vorrange

Vapor.wise

I thought the PAX didn't give good results with less than a full packed bowl. :hmm:

vorrange,

MailFTW

I have two questions. My first question, is can regular pipe cleaners be used to clean the pax, and not just the ones that seem to be 100% or whatever it is that ploom creates? If not, has anyone found an exact or similar alternative to the ploom pipe cleaners and at what store? Also, on high my herb comes out pretty black especially towards the oven lid. Has anyone else found their herb to come out this way, or is it simply the way the herb is suppose to get. Thanks.

MailFTW,

Espo

I have always used my Pax on low and only some times on medium. I found that I get great clouds but then again I stir about every 8 or 9 hits. The stuff I get is mid grade at best.

I had some mid-grade stuff a week or so ago and I couldn't get it to vaporize at all, I ended up giving it all away to my neighbor.

I too also like to pack the bowl 1/3 full for myself, but it only lasts about 6 hits then its cashed.

I thought the PAX didn't give good results with less than a full packed bowl. :hmm:

Small bowls work good for a quick session, but a fully packed Pax bowl is the way to go. It lasts me a whole day (few hits here, few hits there) OR 1 whole session with a friend or two.

My conclusion is I over fill the whole oven up, then push it down and it seems to produce better clouds and last longer. The temp depends on how I am vaping, if I am planning on vaping the same bowl all day, I start on med and by my final sesh I am on high, but if I am planning on vaping the whole bowl in one sesh, I burn it on high.

There isn't a right or wrong way to pack the Pax, just personal preference.

Espo,
Reactions: vorrange
For anyone who is thinking about buying a Pax, after a couple of weeks of using mine, all I can say is GO FOR IT! I have a Silver Surfer, which I love, but it just isn't portable enough to use when you're mobile, especially with the large water pipe attachment I have. The only negative I've run into is that so many parts are back ordered due to its popularity that you have to be careful of dropping the screens down toilet bowls and drains when you are cleaning. And of course, that's exactly what I did!
That being said, I had to post this with kudos and applause for Vapeworld. They have THE NICEST customer service I've dealt with so far in my 60 years on this planet. I'm a medical marihuana patient (and who in Colorado isn't) and was in disparate straits when my one and only screen decided to take a dive into the big white bowl. I spoke to a really sweet lady named Elise who rushed me a recycled screen within a day and I'm back in business. I also had a similar experience with another customer service man named Matt who was as nice as can be! I highly recommend Vapeworld. They are top notch on all fronts! I do not have any personal or business association with this company, in case you're wondering.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

There isn't a right or wrong way to pack the Pax, just personal preference.

I've tried all sorts of variations by now, and I agree with this. The effects vary depending on how you load the oven, but they all work. I can throw in a pinch that barely covers the oven floor, not do any packing and still get decent vapour. If it's not packed you can shake it; in fact you have to if you want get all the vapour.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I've tried all sorts of variations by now, and I agree with this. The effects vary depending on how you load the oven, but they all work. I can throw in a pinch that barely covers the oven floor, not do any packing and still get decent vapour. If it's not packed you can shake it; in fact you have to if you want get all the vapour.

Thanks, i was under the impression, from reading the thread, that the PAX was not such a very good experience with a low packed bowl. Although the process of vaporization went as it should, of course.

vorrange,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Well you're new enough that you get a pass. I'm taking that as a joke. darkrom, on the other hand, has been around a long time and should know better than to drop into a thread and demand a summary.

Again wasn't demanding a summary. I know the summary from all my reading. I'm asking for some negative reviews which luckily are buried in the many many positive reviews. My reading this thread is why I am here asking for more specific information on the negatives.

It's like reading the cloud thread looking for negatives...hard to find buried in with endless glowing reviews.

I don't think its unreasonable to ask about the rarely talked about negatives to this vape since I already did my research on how to use it, watched plenty of vids, read the thread, and know all the very apparent positives. Unless this is the holy grail of vapes with NO downsides, I still think it is a fair question.

I'm not being lazy, I'm asking for more specific and focused input on the cons.

darkrom,

Espo

Again wasn't demanding a summary. I know the summary from all my reading. I'm asking for some negative reviews which luckily are buried in the many many positive reviews. My reading this thread is why I am here asking for more specific information on the negatives.

It's like reading the cloud thread looking for negatives...hard to find buried in with endless glowing reviews.

I don't think its unreasonable to ask about the rarely talked about negatives to this vape since I already did my research on how to use it, watched plenty of vids, read the thread, and know all the very apparent positives. Unless this is the holy grail of vapes with NO downsides, I still think it is a fair question.

I'm not being lazy, I'm asking for more specific and focused input on the cons.

IMO it is the holy grail of vapes, I have NO downsides (knocking on wood). I dont clean mine often, I dont charge it often, I pack between 1/4 bowls and overly full bowls, and I take it all over the place with me. Like I said, this is my opinion which may be biased because I have had 0 problems with my Pax since day one (Aug 3, 2012).

The issues I've seen reported in this thread are mouthpiece issues and temp button sticking issues.

From what i've read, Ploom's warranty is pretty good and will fix/replace units OR send out replacement parts.

I strongly suggest the Pax to everyone who likes to vaporize. Usually once they vape with my Pax once they are destined to buy one for themselves (2 of my friends already bought Pax and 3 others are saving funds to buy one). I joined this forum to do research and ask questions about buying my first vaporizer and ended up going with the Pax

JDR

I wholeheartedly advocate darkrom's position. It should be the default position of this board...to be open and excited about these new products while avoiding boosterism at all costs. These are pricy items and should be looked at with a critical eye by default.

It sure would be nice to have some kind of sticky on the content/review/technique intensive posts. Not really possible I know. But if all the folks saying that they can't wait to buy something just held off...we could get to the meat a bit easier. Ah well <sigh>.

Sonics420

im done with this pax

this is crazy.. 250 and u use it a few times and it doesnt function how its supposed to unless u start cleaning. i been cleaning this after every use cuz it gets stuck

i cant recommend this to anyone, pax has been a headache.. damn!

Sonics420,
Reactions: darkrom

Espo

im done with this pax

this is crazy.. 250 and u use it a few times and it doesnt function how its supposed to unless u start cleaning. i been cleaning this after every use cuz it gets stuck

i cant recommend this to anyone, pax has been a headache.. damn!

Thats so strange, I use my pax with high end flowers usually mixed with bubble hash, and I dont clean mine much at all. Last time I cleaned it was approximately 3 weeks ago, and I've used it 3-6 days a week (1-3 sessions a day) and its functioning perfectly fine.

Espo,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
The fix for that problem is cleaning around the spring area, once you do that it works fine. GO back a few pages and read up. It just seems like a problem until you understand how it works.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Thanks, i was under the impression, from reading the thread, that the PAX was not such a very good experience with a low packed bowl. Although the process of vaporization went as it should, of course.

The key word here is experience. That means it's subjective. The packed bowl idea comes directly from Ploom, who recommend it right in the owner's guide, so that's how most people start out. A full tightly packed oven definitely will get you nice vapour at any temperature setting, so the idea arose that you must pack the oven tightly. Rebels, like me, decided to try other loading techniques and discovered that they worked too, sometimes better than the recommended method depending on your preferences.

As an experiment, after I wrote that last post I dumped just enough into my Pax to cover the oven floor. The vapour I got at yellow was thin but tasty, just what I like. If I had kept using this in my normal manner, I'd have taken two or three hots and turned it off. That would guarantee that the taste would be gone when I turned it on again, and I'd get no more than half the hits I could with the same amount in the MFLB, most of which would also taste better.

This time I used it more like combustion, hitting it repeatedly with only short pauses. The taste lasts a little longer this way and I got about 75% as many hits as I would have gotten from the LB. When the taste started to go off I stepped up to orange for three or four hits then on to red. The vapour got a little thicker and less tasty but it kept coming, until the taste got too nasty for me. Here's what the ABV looks like:

rv40x.jpg

That's all that was left, and it worked quite nicely.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
The key word here is experience. That means it's subjective. The packed bowl idea comes directly from Ploom, who recommend it right in the owner's guide, so that's how most people start out. A full tightly packed oven definitely will get you nice vapour at any temperature setting, so the idea arose that you must pack the oven tightly. Rebels, like me, decided to try other loading techniques and discovered that they worked too, sometimes better than the recommended method depending on your preferences.

As an experiment, after I wrote that last post I dumped just enough into my Pax to cover the oven floor. The vapour I got at yellow was thin but tasty, just what I like. If I had kept using this in my normal manner, I'd have taken two or three hots and turned it off. That would guarantee that the taste would be gone when I turned it on again, and I'd get no more than half the hits I could with the same amount in the MFLB, most of which would also taste better.

This time I used it more like combustion, hitting it repeatedly with only short pauses. The taste lasts a little longer this way and I got about 75% as many hits as I would have gotten from the LB. When the taste started to go off I stepped up to orange for three or four hits then on to red. The vapour got a little thicker and less tasty but it kept coming, until the taste got too nasty for me. Here's what the ABV looks like:

rv40x.jpg

That's all that was left, and it worked quite nicely.

That is great pakalolo, thanks for taking the time. ;) I really had the impression all around about the efficiency in this vaporizer. It seems the process is quicker than the mflb, perhaps to a bit of more convection going on?

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
That is great pakalolo, thanks for taking the time. ;) I really had the impression all around about the efficiency in this vaporizer. It seems the process is quicker than the mflb, perhaps to a bit of more convection going on?

It's the burden I carry for you people.

The Pax is heating the oven whenever the light is purple or green, and even when it goes into blue. The LB is only on while the battery is making contact. The Pax oven takes a while to cool down, not really a long time but way more than the LB, a minute or two compared to 3-5 seconds for the LB. All of this means the Pax finishes your load sooner.

Espo

Just a heads up for anyone who had spare parts on order from Vape World, I just got confirmation from Vape World my parts shipped yesterday
FINALLY :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom