Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootlegZani

hey man, i've had my pax for about 3 weeks and i haven't had any problems with it, oddly enough unlike a lot of other people.
but my mouthpiece was the exact same way as yours out of the box, it would pop up and down just fine but it was impossible to actually pull all the way out to change the temp. my mom always keeps a rubber tourniquet, the things they tie your arm off with before a shot at the DR's, in the junk drawer to open really hard to open jars and such. i cut off a piece about 3 inches long, and just wrap it around the mouthpiece to get a REAL grip on it and it just pulls right out. so try finding some thin rubber or something grippy, and wrap it around the mouthpiece and pull. viola. should work!

Yeah I got a new one from the store and it works perfectly. Ploom Chat Support stated if the store didn't give me a new one than they would.

In the longer term, I'm going back to using the SSV for primary at home. Aside from maintenance, it's just much, much more efficient than having to toast a whole Pax oven-full at once. Having greater ability to stir, plus convection vs. conduction just seems to be a win in the larger vapes.

Even counting the longer time I get out of the Pax load, I'd say it's roughly double the consumption from the SSV. But as a portable on light duty for movies, concerts, camping, etc, I suspect I'll be just fine with it.

I'm still deciding between an Extreme Q and an Herbal Aire 2.2 for home use.

mod note: Merged. Please avoid back-to-back posts. Use the Edit button, thanks.

BootlegZani,

A P

How do you guys fill the oven? I'm trying to find an easy way to refill it on the go (outside) without a big mess.

A P,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
I keep a small plastic container filled with some ground up herb in my change pocket and just tap it into the oven end and then pack it down with my finger tip or the oven lid. It depends on what you mean by on the go though. I don't suppose this wouldn't be easy to do in a full sprint.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
You would probably benefit from a container similar to mine.

Maybe a doob tube?

http://www.planetvape.ca/doob-tubes.html

A mini pill bottle keyring?

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Holder-Keychain-Assorted-Colors/dp/B00382RW0I/

Mine

kIOTx.jpg

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I use a cylinder space case to tap herb in, tap the Pax to get into oven, pack with my finger and then the MFLB brush to clean the shoulders and get the stray crumbs into the oven. I keep LB brushes with my Pax all the time now as it seems as necessary as it is with the LB to me but I'm OCD lol. I also use the brush to brush out the oven, brush off the oven lid. If I was selling these devices, I'd include a little solder/flux brush :D

CarlosSpiceyWeiner

I use the little brush that comes with the Davinci.

http://www.davincivaporizer.com/cleaning-brush/

Its a little steep at $11.90 shipped.

But its small and works well.

I also use the Vape Mini tool to stir and pack. Which is a perfect fit for the Pax.

http://www.amazon.com/VapeTool-Mini-Tool/dp/B0089EYE74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349619848&sr=8-1&keywords=vape mini tool

Only one left on Amazon.

As for the containers i use ones similar to Quetzalcoatl's.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10008183&N=&Nao=120&Ntt=glass tube container

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I just went for that vape mini tool, so many people like it. I have had good luck with the paperclip tool I added to my mouthpiece, so I probably didn't really need the vapetool, but I'm a sucker like that.

jambandphan03,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
I use the vape tool all the time too, feel like I almost couldnt use it without it. hah I tried the paperclip in the mouthpiece mod once and I guess I made it wrong and it ended up making my mouthpiece stuck firmly in the unit, until I wacked the other side of the oven with my palm. On another note, is anyone getting really hard to scrape off residue on their oven walls? I've been scraping the screen with a razor, and buffing it out with a dremmel, but cant reach inside the oven walls. I cleaned my pax for the first time in a week this morning, it at last gummed up the mouthpiece on its side, temp light issue, obvious resin in the spring area which I compressed with a tooth pick dipped in iso, and cleaned out and did the iso dip trick with the mouthpiece and now everything's gravy smooth again, no temp issues.

edit: I also noticed after going back to the original mouthpiece design, I can't even get the new replacement mouthpiece to lock inside the pax to turn off, it works great with it out and heating and green, which maks me want to mod it up for a mouthpiece design but still is strange.. I guess the clip inside my pax has built up a tolerance and moved around a bit.

Bildo3523

I broke off the nail scrapper of a pair of old nail clippers, I've been using it as my vape tool for almost a month now and it's worked perfectly.

One question tho, I just got up and packed my Pax up and turned it on for a session when it started sizzling quite loudly. I went through half a session, everything went well, and it doesn't seem like anything went wrong, herbs aren't combusted, etc. but I was just wondering what caused this after it caught me off guard.
I'm wondering if maybe it's because of the fresh batch I bought yesterday containing alot of moisture or maybe because its so humid today?
I should probably add I was using Pax on high, and I do not have any MP issues as thoroughly cleaning seems to ward any of those problems off.

EDIT:

I think I figured it out myself. I kept Pax charging overnight in my bathroom where the window was open, so the unit was probably somewhere between 40F-50F when I packed and fired it up. The heat probably created a bunch of condensation which caused the sizzle.

Bildo3523,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, so I love Pax, but sometimes it drives me nuts. I really hope they come up with a mouthpiece that works like it's supposed to. The new one they sent me sticks all the time, and the original has the temp light issues. I clean it every day, but I still have to click it dozens of times to get the purple light and not the red. I keep thinking I might get rid of it, but it hits SOO great when it actually works!

I also want it to be my skiing vape, but I don't know how reliable it will be at 12,000 feet in the freezing cold. I picture myself with my gloves off and parked on the side of a run clicking away and hoping it catches correctly...

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Yea, so I love Pax, but sometimes it drives me nuts. I really hope they come up with a mouthpiece that works like it's supposed to. The new one they sent me sticks all the time, and the original has the temp light issues. I clean it every day, but I still have to click it dozens of times to get the purple light and not the red. I keep thinking I might get rid of it, but it hits SOO great when it actually works!

I also want it to be my skiing vape, but I don't know how reliable it will be at 12,000 feet in the freezing cold. I picture myself with my gloves off and parked on the side of a run clicking away and hoping it catches correctly...

Wow, I absolutely completely agree with you. Waiting on my new mouthpiece from VapeWorld. The Pax is sick though but the temp light drives me nuts.

newVaper420,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
have you guys with the temp light issue cleaned around the spring area outside the tube in the pax yet?

I don't know how it would behave in really cold temps. Maybe if you can keep it stored in an inside pocket so it has body heat working on it.

SoCalShore

I use the top end of a chopstix....It works very well, but I must say that I use chopsticks that I have bought, not the inexpensive wood chopsticks that come with your take-out or delivery meal. Although, I would suppose they would work too. I haven't taken Pax out anywhere, were just home buddies.

With that being said, I have been window shopping for a home unit....any ideas? I used a Volcano years ago but I would like something a little more stealth and sleek as it might be sitting out sometimes.

SoCalShore,

A P

What do you guys use to scrape kief out of your grinder and into the pax? I used to use a school paint brush (the ones that come in the sets) but i dont have one anymore.

A P,

SoCalShore

You might find the vivape to your liking. Everyone loves the cloud of course. Both are great but both a little pricey.

Ontario, you are right, that is a little pricy but it is something that really wont stand out. Looks kinda like a external hard drive. Thanks for the suggestion!!

SoCalShore,

Ontariovapes

Of the two, I love my vivape the best. I know I'm in the minority but the looks are smooth, it heats up faster than the cloud, can blow bags, use a whip, and adapt to any water tool, big or small. Very little maintenance and I think there is still a fifty dollar factory rebate.

Ontariovapes,

GON

Anyone knows when the Pax will be available in Europe? I sent a mail to Ploom about a month ago, still no response...
:huh:

GON,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I'll second the guitar pick. I have re-located my pax charger to next to the bed. I am finding a fresh load on low will get me plenty medicated, and it's nice to have by the bed. That little LED sure is bright in the dark. I can see having to cover it with your thumb if you are in the movies or some place dark where you don't want a bright green light shining on you while you vape. :D

willieR

Been here since 2009
Pax Pointer #137: Stir sooner than later, especially if the herbs are fresh ground / moist.

I find a fresh oven packed tight can shrink pretty quickly as the load loses moisture. When it shrinks it loses contact with the oven = less vapor.

When you stir and re-pack, the now-dried load stays in contact with the oven = more vapor.

CuttyBuddy

Sorry guys if I'm off topic. I don't read through much these days but I do love this forum. Just picked up a Pax Vaporizer, pretty sick. In my spare time I do Vaporizer reviews so I did one on the Pax. Here it is if your interested. Peace guys

Modnote. Removed. Affiliate links and related sites are not welcome.

Hello Paxists and Paxers:

I just have had my pax a few weeks. I have a collection of modern vapes (iolite,wispr,no2,arizer and now pax and some older ones) so I sort of rotate. I turned it on it went purple then red and then
shut itself off. I thought maybe the battery had drained but when I put it back on the charger it
went immediately green. I then retried it and it seemed to work ok. Do other people see anomalies
such as this.

MonsterWithoutBorders,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Uhhh.. yep. Clean around the mouthpiece inset. I am using a wooden skewer dipped in ISO. It hink that the skewer is going to be the key to this!

Tstat,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom