Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peroy

It would be great to ID them and find a replacement source. Not a simple research project, though.

Right, Im going to take some measurements and look around.

Does anybody know the purpose of those two bottom seals? Can I use my Pax without them?

Peroy,

dudeeitsbrian

Right, Im going to take some measurements and look around.

Does anybody know the purpose of those two bottom seals? Can I use my Pax without them?
those are high temperature o-rings, that's all the information ploom was willing to give about them. they are custom made apparently, and i was unable to get ploom to send/sell me any of them. my recommendation is to keep the broken ones and try to use them, i haven't been able to find an o-ring that works as a replacement yet.

dudeeitsbrian,
Reactions: willieR

Peroy

those are high temperature o-rings, that's all the information ploom was willing to give about them. they are custom made apparently, and i was unable to get ploom to send/sell me any of them. my recommendation is to keep the broken ones and try to use them, i haven't been able to find an o-ring that works as a replacement yet.

Interesting. Besides being high temp, what else is there to know about them besides diameter and thickness for finding replacements. Do you know what function they serve in the unit? I cant reuse mine. One is snapped, the other is in two pieces. When I pulled my unit half out, the o-ring got caught up inside, and I had to give it some force to get it out the rest of the way. That probably twisted them up and made them rip.

Also, I wanted to note: Im using 90% ISO to clean my unit. The temp button under the mouthpiece DOES NOT like ISO, it actually softens/degrades the plastic. My button doesnt click anymore. I didnt clean under the mouthpiece - while cleaning the oven the ISO went up the vapor tube and got in the button. Thats why I had to take it apart.

Peroy,
Also, I wanted to note: Im using 90% ISO to clean my unit. The temp button under the mouthpiece DOES NOT like ISO, it actually softens/degrades the plastic. My button doesnt click anymore. I didnt clean under the mouthpiece - while cleaning the oven the ISO went up the vapor tube and got in the button. Thats why I had to take it apart.[/quote]

I know it's to late now but, when using iso in the oven always keep a clean pipe cleaner in the vape tube. I usually have one stick out about half an inch in the oven. I also never use iso in the vape tube. just clean it while it's hot with a dry pipe cleaner. I only use the 91% iso on/in the oven, screen, and mouth piece

TheAngryGiraffe,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I would think these O rings are just to keep dust / debris out. I also believe these are not custom.

Is there a preferred method to remove the system without damaging them? And re-installation? I think Dudeeitsbrian covered this in his super vid a while back.

willieR,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
One of the things I have been enjoying about the pax, is the ability to turn it on, get a fast heat up, pull a nice milky cloud into my bubbler, then as I am nearing the end of my draw, turning it off while clearing the rest of the vapor trapped in the oven, and then finishing off the hit. I am also able to get 2 or 3 and then turn it off too, if I want to keep going, or just let it drop into cool mode while I am waiting between hits. I can't find any major reasons to complain about this device as far as vapor production goes. It seems to handle my ion quite well, I also tested it out with my hydracirc, and it performed just as well. :tup: Definitely need to get another one of these soon.

I am looking forward to new pax's arriving in people's mailboxes this week, and all the reviews/feedback! Excited for y'all, and hope the next round is more functional.

*also like to add, still have yet to put iso anywhere near my pax, a dry q tip+pipe cleaner when pax is still warm has been more than adequate if used daily. I also found the steel wool at our kitchen sink gets the brown resin stains off the screen quite nicely too, iso soak did not do it. I don't have to use much force when scrubbing. Careful not to drop it down the sink too if you try this. ;)

Adobewan

Jam, how are you turning it off and clearing the oven. Are you just drawing with your lips over the end with the mouthpiece off?

Adobewan,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
sorry, I didn't clarify. I have a small bit of silicone tubing attached to the end of the mouthpiece, making it connect to my 14mm adapter. I am able to just push the pax down, and lock it into the off position while it is still in my bubbler, hitting it. Here is a pic of the mouthpiece/tubing I think it's 1/2"ID (soft) silicone http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/121/=j7xy78. Very stretchy, and it clings well to the plastic mouthpiece. It works, but if pax were to come up with a mouthpiece shaped like this, they would tap into another portion of the vape market...

TM2zl.jpg

oY8Dc.jpg

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
What is the average heat up time on the Pax? I have noticed that the DV makes me nuts with an almost 2 mins heat up which is a minute more then the INH which is comfortable. I was wondering where the pax was in real use situations.

Dreamerr,

Dreamerr

when cold, mine seems to heat up in about a minute, when warm, it's much faster to reheat.

Please time it from cold. I am sure like with my DV and INH fresh batt is slightly diff from used so let me know if it is fresh or not and how much time it adds next cold start. With the iNH it adds about 5-8 seconds each time.

Dreamerr,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Please time it from cold. I am sure like with my DV and INH fresh batt is slightly diff from used so let me know if it is fresh or not and how much time it adds next cold start. With the iNH it adds about 5-8 seconds each time.

I might try to time it out soon, but it won't be today :ko:

Jamband you make me want to get that exact glass you have

...they do work well together.

jambandphan03,

JoeKickass

Please time it from cold.

I never timed it empty but mine is pretty consistent in regular use: 45s to medium, 60s to hot. If you turn it off, flip the bowl, and put it back in while it's still hot you can get back to temp within 15s.

I would think these O rings are just to keep dust / debris out. I also believe these are not custom.

I also suspect there is another source for these o-rings, but I don't plan to replace mine if they break. I'm 99% sure the main reason for them is to provide evidence if you open your Pax. The plastic fits into the aluminum so snuggly I can't see dirt or air getting in as an issue...

at this point, the only thing that would make me happier with it, is if there was a way to self-flip the bowl, so I didn't have to stir it half way. I keep trying to just vape it all the way through, with out stirring, but at some point the vapor drops off, and I either have to stir, or no longer get a good hit.

There is something insanely satisfying about flipping the bowl and have it stay 100% intact as a block, you get absolutely perfectly even abv. But that said when time is an issue I find the best way to get reasonable abv without flipping is to pack a half bowl and turn it up to high when vapor drops off. It does get darker on the heater side but the exposed side is still a nice chocolate brown.

JoeKickass,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I also suspect there is another source for these o-rings, but I don't plan to replace mine if they break. I'm 99% sure the main reason for them is to provide evidence if you open your Pax. The plastic fits into the aluminum so snuggly I can't see dirt or air getting in as an issue...

Ah. Makes sense. So how do they get them in there in the frst place, I wonder? And when they take it apart, wouldn't they break it also? Who cares... In any event it seems they're not necessary.

willieR,

Dreamerr

Fabulous heat up time...thanks joe. I love less then a minute anything longer is not kewl in my book. Even a minute is pushing it.

Dreamerr,

JoeKickass

Ah. Makes sense. So how do they get them in there in the frst place, I wonder? And when they take it apart, wouldn't they break it also? Who cares... In any event it seems they're not necessary.

They put it in with talcum powder I think, and I'm sure they just use new ones each time they open it. Both things we could do, if we knew were to get new o-rings from...

JoeKickass,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I actually had one of these for a short time, found it was a little too low for my neck to be comfortable (I have neck issues) so I passed it on, but it was a well made piece for the price, and would work similar to the ion matrix I use. It is even close to the same shape/design and handles the Cloud well too. Wide base! The downstems bubbled quite well, wasn't a bad piece for around $70 and it shipped fast too. Just thought I'd pass it along for those looking for a similar style bub but don't want to dish out the $$$ for a high end piece. Here is the link and a video I made of it when I had it...

http://www.gogopipes.com/Glass_Bubbler-perk_glass_bubblers.html

jambandphan03

in flavor country
thanks flynn, funny, I usually am very picky about making vids that are not shaky, etc... these were quickly and roughly done, when I was already way too vaked from hitting this thing!! :lol: I'm glad others can enjoy them. This mobius is a class act bubbler for sure. I know it cost a lot, but man has it been the smoothest piece to hit yet, and this is built solid too... after trying the DG mini can, and several tree style bubs, I think it's my favorite so far. I think I put too much water in this time around, need to go fix that. Might make another slow milk vid, that is fun, but gets me really wasted!! :ko:

here is a quick one with the 18" DG fritted disk. I found the large size made it a bit more difficult to go slow and get those really thick vapors, but it still hits beautifully. Again, felt like just a smidge too much water in there...

And here is another with my VXL hydracirc tube.

Drastic

Vape4Life
the rings i believe are to seal the heater off from any possible off-glass, or may actually seal the air-path off. There is a gap around the rim of the oven and i believe that the o-rings are closing off the air-path so that air is not drawn through that gap or so air from inside the unit isn't drawn into the oven. Very impressed with the design, they thought of everything!!

As for opening the device, i posted like 50 pages back to slide it out OVEN first, push near the temp button. The rings don't have to travel so far and i have open/closed 20+ times, no break. I do think this is one way ploom can tell, but as long as you really didn't mess it up i don't think they will give you slack

Drastic,
Ok so got an email on thursday from Ploom saying that my replacement mouth piece is on its way. But for the last few days my mouth piece has been acting up. It will warm up purple and then turn orange. I can half click it down and most times it will reset but sometimes it won't it will just go orange or flash red. Wtf? Can't wait to see if the new mouthpiece corrects this. Also I have kept my pax very clean. I feel like if I gently push down with my lipps it will stop and then turn green. Any ideas?

TheAngryGiraffe,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom