Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Going back to my earlier comment about re-vaping lower temp ABV, I was trying this, and just not feeling very satisfied, but didn't want to burn through so much fresh bud. So now I am testing a combo, putting a pinch or so of fresh in the bowl, then layering the lightly toasted ABV on top of that as filler, so my bowl is packed, and hits well, but has some fresh to start with for a more desired effect and taste. This is mainly for conservation, and a bit recycling with that low temp ABV. It seems to be a happy medium so far, as I feel I have been blowing through my meds a little too fast lately. I can't believe how baked this thing gets me...I mean the ABV. :lol:

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

murph17

Did you use iso at all?
yes. I soaked the mouthpiece in it for 10-15mins. Also used a *tiny* little bit on a pipe cleaner to clean the vapor path. I was very careful about getting any near the temperature switch. Which, by the way is working fine.

murph17,

JoeKickass

yes. I soaked the mouthpiece in it for 10-15mins. Also used a *tiny* little bit on a pipe cleaner to clean the vapor path. I was very careful about getting any near the temperature switch. Which, by the way is working fine.

Did you get any in the gap outside the vapor path? Where the mouthpiece goes into is a spring, when you put in the mouthpiece it connects the metal of the spring and the metal of the tube which makes it start heating. You might have got the spring dirty so sometimes the metal isn't touching?

JoeKickass,
Reactions: Dammit

jhpfunk

Ola ya'll-

I've been enjoying my pax every day since I got it. However, I'm having trouble. I have a feeling that someone may have addressed it, but since there are now 117 pages and I'm not sure what to search for, I hope someone has some advice.

More often than not over the last week, as I'm attempting to heat up the unit, it goes from the "warm up" purple to the color that represents it's temperature setting (yellow, orange...) and then stops heating up. I thought I cleaned it thoroughly but still having a problem. I can jossle it a bit to get it to go back to purple. Once it turns green, it stays green. Just having trouble getting it to work consistently. Any help here?

I would also add that today that it seems to fall back to purple after going to green...but still vapes. It also takes way more than an hour to fully charge.

jhpfunk,

JoeKickass

Ola ya'll-

I've been enjoying my pax every day since I got it. However, I'm having trouble. I have a feeling that someone may have addressed it, but since there are now 117 pages and I'm not sure what to search for, I hope someone has some advice.

More often than not over the last week, as I'm attempting to heat up the unit, it goes from the "warm up" purple to the color that represents it's temperature setting (yellow, orange...) and then stops heating up. I thought I cleaned it thoroughly but still having a problem. I can jossle it a bit to get it to go back to purple. Once it turns green, it stays green. Just having trouble getting it to work consistently. Any help here?

I would also add that today that it seems to fall back to purple after going to green...but still vapes. It also takes way more than an hour to fully charge.

That's the same issue murph was having, the Pax goes from heating to temp change when you close the circuit beween the spring and the tube with the metal mouthpiece. Either your spring is dirty and not touching bare metal, or the wire inside broke and is wiggling around (seems unlikely)

JoeKickass,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I am also noticing that if my mouthpiece moves just a bit while it's heating sometimes it will go to the temp setting (usually red) until I wiggle the mouth piece, its as if it is not making a full connection, but it only happens every once in a while. Maybe a new flaw, or maybe like Joe says, it's getting dirty around the spring or what ever is triggering the heat mode. How can we address this? So far I have not found it happening enough to bother me, or impair the function, I just move the mouth piece a little and it goes back to heating. I noticed it more in the last day or so than before. I am keeping everything I can reach pretty clean, and not using any iso. I won't worry too much, but wanted to chime in, that mine does it once in a while. If it does start to become an issue, I'm contacting ploom.

anyone else concerned with the way the pipe cleaners leave bits of lint behind? Could some of the fibers be getting down where the springs and switches are?

on an up note, I am digging the way the LED has a breathing effect :whoa:

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bluntcrush

jhpfunk

It started very occasionally, but has been quite frequent lately. I'm doing another full cleaning, but I did do once recently.

jhpfunk,
I am going to quote myself from post 2814....

"Additionally I have experienced my unit only showing the temperature with the mouthpiece up. When this happens the unit doesn't heat up - bad. I quickly figured out that the mouthpiece was somehow not ejecting enough - a slight push upwards, not quite ejecting the mouthpiece always restored the unit to working order.

I stepped up my mouthpiece cleaning procedure following the suggestions of FC posters and used a qtip to clean up the stem of the mouth piece (I had been soaking and using the pipecleaner) and could see a significant deposit on the q tip afterwards. I am always scared when I do this because it's a fine line between taking off enough cotton on the q tip to fit or jamming the mutilated q tip up there and have the stick come out and leave a wad of cotton up there, but it really works. Anyway this was the cure for me. I keep my mouthpiece clean now and I don't have problems."

Jambandphan03-
I have been removing the mouthpiece and charging "right side up". Cuts down on the cleaning. I salute you!

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I just contacted ploom about the temp light while heating issue. They basically said it's a dirty contact and to step up my cleaning, or try "actuating" the mouthpiece, meaning to press it up and down quickly over and over to try to wear the build up off the contact. They actually even recommended putting a little iso on the end of the mouthpiece tube and then inserting it. I don't know if I will try that, so close to the button, but I might go ahead and try to clean my mouthpiece and air path with a touch of iso to get any possible build up out of there, and to see how thorough my dry cleaning has really been. So that was their advice.

Is there like a definitive, unofficial cleaning guide to cleaning this thing? I really would like to avoid taking up any warranty issues with ploom for as long as possible.

p.s. please forgive me for not having read all 117 pages of this thread. I figure one of the regulars here could just give me a a quick run-down.

hawaiiansun,

purplekush604

I was thinking of ordering, or the mivape, but who knows when that will be release. But anyways, and do you think it's better to wait a month or so, and let ploom deal with all the current issues?

thanks

purplekush604,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Jamband, thanks. You're such an excellent contributor.

A definitive cleaning summary would be great. One post, that could be edited for a bit. Then the author and others could link that post in their sig, so others could see it more readily. The battery mod is another, as is the mouthpiece mod (with the file).

purplekush, I read through this whole thread and asked a million annoying questions and decided that it was the best option for me and mine will arrive tomorrow. In my opinion, all of the issues can be identified and addressed thanks to some amazing contributors here. Also, Ploom seems super eager to fix anything. I figure there's nothing to lose.

Hawaiisun-
I think post 2814 covers my cleaning routine. The only difference is now I charge right side up with the mouthpiece removed.

I read posts where people state things like "I've been smoking for 3 days and I am cleaning my PAX for the first time" and I smile. Their next statement involves one of two things - my mouthpiece is not popping up or the temperature light is on constantly. I know, I know you soaked the mouthpiece in iso and poked around up the stem with a pipecleaner but I bet dollars to doughnuts that if you jam that iso soaked q tip up the stem of the mouthpiece it will come out dirty!

I clean my PAX every night and pay special attention to the mouthpiece! When I am done I load it, remove the mouthpiece and put it on the charger so its ready in case of emergency......

willieR

Been here since 2009
I keep hearing Dudeeitsbrian telling us to avoid iso altogether and cleat hot. Cleaning "dry" while fresh and hot makes great sense.

willieR,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I have been cleaning dry, when unit is still warm, and mentioned this to the CS chat person, and they suggested that not using any solvent, it might not be getting as clean as it could be. I am still reluctant to use iso if I don't need to. I will keep using my dry clean routine, and see how things go. I just feel the vapor path is too close to temp button to start getting liberal with iso around it.

jambandphan03,
Ok so I got my new mouthpiece in the mail today from Ploom and it has been updated. Here are a couple of pictures of it.
mouthpiece2.jpg

mouthpiece.jpg

The new mouthpiece is the one on the left in both pictures
So far the new mouthpiece has taken care of the issue I was having with it turning orange and sometimes red when first being turned on. It also feels like the mouthpiece clicks/locks in the closed/off position better than it did before and also when opening/turning on. Again I have only used it twice. If anything changes I will post it.

willieR

Been here since 2009
I think that's smart Jamband. They're right, of course. I use 99% Iso on many things (I have no Pax at the time of this writing) because it is able to most thoroughly clean the part and leave the least residue. A double wash with 99% and clean wipes is a mighty potent cleaning IF you can access all the surface.

Hephzi, I should have cut and pasted your earlier comments about charging with the mouthpiece off. Tomorrow when I get mine, I'm going to hold this and see exactly how that works. Good to know you like the technique.

Giraffe, WOW! Thanks for that post. Does anyone else have this new mouthpiece?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom