Discontinued Omicron Vaporizer for oils

jambandphan03

in flavor country
careful as it gets low, not to let it scorch... I usually put mine on a coffee cup warmer in a stainless steel cup while it still has some liquid in it, for the last stage of purging, it's a lower heat and won't over cook your oil. Just keep a close eye as it gets to the last bit if you don't have the coffee cup warmer handy. Once it stops bubbling completely and looks "glassy" and smooth, it should be done purging. It won't hurt to let it rest over night once the heating is finished to air out a bit more. Good luck to you!

jambandphan03,

Aaron

hey g, do you guys carry the omicron hvd upgrade or the 2.5 top upgrade at your guys shop in van nuys?

Aaron,

sidewing

k well it got low, and i added a little bit of water to help with evaporating the alcohol off.. nearly all the alcohol was gone,but i ran into a problem.. the oil started getting stuck on all the sides of the rice cooker bowl.. i poured like a tiny little bit of oil out into the pyrex pan.. and couldnt get the oil off the sides,, so i added a little bit of alcohol to the rice cooker bowl and swirled it around until it picked back up most of the stuck oil (id say 99% of it, there was a dab or 2 i just left behind on the top rim from dumping it).. and i poured that into the pyrex bowl with the other oil, then just put the pyrex outside in front of the fan overnight... hopefully itll be evaporated by morning. then ill oven it to make sure its all evaporated off, and then freeze it for a half hour before i scrape it together. its dark, and super sticky. from the stuff i tried to scrape off the side of the bowl with the razor..

im looking for more medicinal type oil, as opposed to trippy stuff.. so i think heating it is ok for my purposes.. matter of fact i dont even care if i get high, as long as i get pain relief and relaxation.

i think im gunna have to freeze it when its done, and put it straight into a glass vial, and just use a paperclip to pull it out of there.. i think its going to be really sticky gunky.. not able to be handled at all. we will see though.

i do not have a coffee cup warmer but i was thinking of going to get one tomorrow

sidewing,

OF

got this iso extract on the rice cooker, its evaporating full speed now! lol wish my ophos was here tomorrow.. maybe ill get lucky and have a tuesday delivery.

Be VERY VERY careful. There are typically thermal switches with unsealed contacts (read 'sparks') in those guys and you're dealing with EXPLOSIVE vapors that can easily collect. ISO is fairly safe when dilute at room temperature, you have neither of those in play this way.

If it boils dry and switches to 'keep warm mode' you'd best be somewhere else......

This is a very popular way for guys messing with BHO to blow themselves up. Some of the clever ones use the pilot light and burner in the hot water heater, they draw another pan of hot tap water causing the heater to kick on while they're standing right there.

They don't let you into heaven if you go that way you know. I'm sure I speak for others when I say we want you around to enjoy the fruits of your labors......

OF

sidewing

i dont think mine has that setting, im just using a cheap personal rice cooker, not a professional grade one, i had to go out every 10 minutes to push the switch back down because it would turn off by itself. and it doesnt make it boil like if you watch the rick simpson video on youtube.. it just bubbles real lightly here and there, whereas the rick simpson video it looks like they dropped butane extract into a double boiler.. so i think mine does it gently.

i had it on with the lid off, and a fan blowing right next to it.. blowing the vapor to the center of the outside patio, where the patio ceiling fan was on also. so i kept the vapors moving.. all this was outside the house on the back patio also, its not enclosed it just has a ceiling, no walls. and i dont linger out there with it, just go check on it for a second every 5 minutes.

this morning it doesnt smell like alcohol at all, just a little bit of water that needs to evaporate off is left, so i moved it into the sun light to help that along, but the fan did its job in finishing up all the alcohol, i think next time i will just use the fan and no rice cooker, for safety, and also because the oil is dark because of the heat, i want to see if i dont use the rice cooker if itll be much lighter in color (which im pretty sure it will).

i still got 4oz of shake/trim. and in about another month ill have 4 more plants ready to trim up. and another couple of months after that, some lovely outdoor that i think i will donate the small larfy pieces to a hash run.

sidewing,

OF

i dont think mine has that setting, im just using a cheap personal rice cooker, not a professional grade one, i had to go out every 10 minutes to push the switch back down because it would turn off by itself.

Glad to hear you're being careful, but think about what you just said.... If you had to turn it back on, it turned itself off, right. Spark time....... Sparks don't always happen turning on, but they always do going off. Always. Even Mercury whetted ones. That's why 'explosion proof' ones are sealed.

All three of the rice cookers I've owned had 'keep warm' features after they shut down from going overtemp when the water boiled out (the normal function of sensing 'done cooking'). Is yours still warm an hour later? If so, there's a small heater with a thermostat making sparks doing that function. You just don't notice it, which was their intent.

Don't underestimate the ability of dense vapors to collect, they are famous for doing just that. Not smelling them is no protection. Lots of air changes and no ignition sources are the standard measures. You've blown the second line of defense here (ignition source), tread carefully is my point.

Stay safe, please.

OF

sidewing

for sure, thanks for the sound advice.. mine is not warm, it is cold within a couple of minutes of turning off. but i have decided against the rice cooker for my next run, will just have the patience to wait for the fan to do its job.. and maybe a little sun light if it needs it. i seem to have gotten a decent amount of oil. got a layer across almost the whole bottom of the pyrex dish, probably about 10 inches across (circle bowl).. its in the freezer, going to scrape it together in a couple hours, then put it in a glass vial for easy access/storage. its got a good hashy smell. dark brown though, not necessarily a bad thing. definately comes across looking like some simpson oil.. at least im perfecting my simpson oil methods should i know anyone with cancer that needs oil for treatment. or maybe ill just work my way up to a gram a day for overall well being.

sidewing,
Reactions: OF

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Outdoor (AKA 'sun grown') is generally lots cheaper. For instance:
https://www.stickyguide.com/dispens...r-san-jose/products/northern-lights-sun-grown

Maybe the answer to 'who goes to these places?' is "lots of folks like me"? Many of us put a premium on testing and the known safety, some will pay a bit more to get the special strain that interests them. I've never paid $70 for a 1/8, but last week I did pay an all time high (pun intended) of $60 for a nice 1/8 of Larry OG....I had to after G and company won with it. Came in a nice jar, too.
https://www.stickyguide.com/dispensaries/harborside-health-center-san-jose/products/larry-og--5

I think medical and recreational users might view it very differently sometimes too.

Capitalism is alive here, lots of choices. Lower quality herb is widely available, at lower prices with lower quality customers to hang with while buying. Been there, done that as the saying goes. And, of course, there's the black market. I think that part is cool, you get to 'vote with your wallet'.

Sorry the 1st link isn't working...

OK checked HS Oakland (great to see HS selling outdoor/sun grown as Andrew's marketing likes to call it) for a great price. Unfortunately, the point being is there are lots of bammer clubs selling outdoor for $50+ /8th and labelling it as top shelf.

To be clear $45/8th cap for lab tested for mold, mildew, pesticides and potency using SC Labs (same lab elemental now uses). 100% indoor grown, 100% lab tested and honestly straight up they have better herb consistently than HS or Elemental (Stickier, Smellier, Frostier and the trichs are consistently developed with full heads). And every time I go there there is always real top shelf on sale (2 strains for the week usually) for $35. Like that 24% FireOG I got for $35 two weeks ago. same lab test PureXracts wax as elemental ($40+tax) on sale everytime I go for $30 (TAX included).

Oh yeah and those glass jars SUCK!. Yeah they look cool but thats the only good part, IMO. They are not air tight and your bud drys out in as little as a week in my experience. Not even close to a mason jar with humidpack which is where my stash lives... Why should I add a dollar in cost for non functional jar? Bizzaro!

To each his own but again I AM A MEDICAL PATIENT, I like high quality lab tested meds and there are places that are 25-40% cheaper than HS or Elemental that have on average IMO better herb and often identical concentrates.

I can see chasing a strain. I paid $50 for some Wifi OG last week that I normally would not have because I wanted to chase the Wifi OG. I still will occasionally by some TrueOG.

There are lots of choices out there.... If you wanna try some that high dollar OF (Hills Farmacy) is on your side of the bay and I tested and acquired some of their outrageous veganic outdoor at the cup. luckily it was on sale for $45 versus $70. That Cherry lopez #3 they displayed was about the prettiest bud I have ever seen. I could see spending $70 on it to try and enjoy as a treat.

http://www.hillsfarmacy.com/

ru_frothi,

OF

Sorry the 1st link isn't working...

OK checked HS Oakland (great to see HS selling outdoor/sun grown as Andrew's marketing likes to call it) for a great price. Unfortunately, the point being is there are lots of bammer clubs selling outdoor for $50+ /8th and labelling it as top shelf.

Oh yeah and those glass jars SUCK!. Yeah they look cool but thats the only good part, IMO. They are not air tight and your bud drys out in as little as a week in my experience.

Yup, the link is down 'cuz they're out. Things change fast with the volume I guess. Which gets back to point one of my post, LOTS of folks seem to frequent such places.

My second point was 'sun grown' is usually sold for less in my experience for a whole host of reasons. Sometimes I like it, sometimes not. The indoor grown stuff, OTOH, seems consistently wonderful. Hard to beat that except by price and availability IMO.

I've no doubt there are plenty of places selling substandard weed at high prices. Many, I suspect, are 'delivery only' which is why to date I've stayed away from them. Too close to the Black Market for me. For now I much prefer a legitimate storefront with real people I know with honest (I think) advice, wide selection and goods to inspect and choose from to my heart's content. Much different from random folks delivering bags, although that is a step up from scary strangers on dark street corners for sure. If the GD Feds keep closing Dispensaries that'll be subject to change I'm afraid. I still can't get over going after Harborside, clearly political and aimed at intimidation since HS in SJ is small change as a shop.

On the topic of the jars, again, funny world. The vent in the lid is exactly the reason I wanted another one. I use it to cure the too wet herb until it get's to the level I like then it goes into sealed jars (before or after grinding, depending. Right now there's some otherwise lovely OG Kush from a different vendor curing in it. To each his own?

For sure it's very cool to have so many good choices, too bad our own 'elected' servants are working so hard against us there. The struggle eternal.

Thanks for the thoughts.

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
for sure, thanks for the sound advice.. mine is not warm, it is cold within a couple of minutes of turning off. but i have decided against the rice cooker for my next run, will just have the patience to wait for the fan to do its job.. and maybe a little sun light if it needs it. i seem to have gotten a decent amount of oil. got a layer across almost the whole bottom of the pyrex dish, probably about 10 inches across (circle bowl).. its in the freezer, going to scrape it together in a couple hours, then put it in a glass vial for easy access/storage. its got a good hashy smell. dark brown though, not necessarily a bad thing. definately comes across looking like some simpson oil.. at least im perfecting my simpson oil methods should i know anyone with cancer that needs oil for treatment. or maybe ill just work my way up to a gram a day for overall well being.

This is why I stand by my coffee cup warmer method. I usually run small batches anyway, and it has produced good oil for me over and over. I just turn it on long before I put the SScup/Iso on top so it's warm before I need it. Good luck to you, I found SOME heat makes a difference in how the alcohol purges out of the oil properly, and it gets the water out too. I still need to get a temp reading on my cup warmer, our laser temp reader died.

jambandphan03,

sidewing

yeah i was thinking of still getting the coffee warmer.. but gosh damn this oil is hard to handle.. i got it all into a larger vial about 4 inches tall or so.. but it didnt fill as much as i thought it would from the way it looked on the pyrex.. it weighed out to 7.5g of really really good melty oil. so i was doing 10 mins in freezer, handle as much as i could, then have to refreeze it so as to minimize sticking to me.. then i just put flame on the outside of the vial and melted it all together. then i decided to fill a smaller vial only about an inch tall, and i had to stop cuz i was getting a super creeper buzz from the fumes coming off the paper clip (from transferring the oil from one vial to another.. it was oil fumes not paperclip lol).. its definitely some relaxing sleepy stuff.. lowers my blood pressure and makes me feel like i can fall asleep if i just close my eyes for a few minutes. this is good because some herb can give me anxiety, and i am glad this didnt..this stuff is really medicating for me, but im not used to the potency so its sort of strong, i need to wait till my wife gets home so she can help with the baby before i can fully try it.

i think i am going to skip the vial storage next time, its just too sticky to handle.. i think ill just keep it in glass shards like when its frozen, put the shards in a glass container, and keep it in the freezer, that way i can pull out a shard when i need it and melt it in its appropriate location.

it does sparkle just a touch sometimes, but it doesnt smell like alcohol at all, i think in the future keeping it on the coffee warmer for maybe 24 hours will help ensure all is evaporated, but then i dont know how im going to get all that oil off the container its in...

on another really positive note, i checked the tracking number on my ophos and its out for delivery TODAY!!! so it should be here any time now, usually mail man gets here around now, so im really stoked that the oil is ready and the ophos is practically up the street..

any words of advice or a link on how to fill a cartridge properly? im handling the oil with a paperclip, just dabbing some on the tip, heating the above point on the clip and letting it drip down.

heres a couple pics of the extract, the big vial is clear glass its not amber the oil is making it appear dark.. when i had it all melted down to the bottom it filled probably the bottom 1/3 of the vial. then the inside pic is after ive been digging some out to fill the smaller vial, thats why its hollow in the middle.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/1wj1j
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/9kor1

i was just thinking maybe ill turn the vials upside down and apply heat and redrip it all onto the pyrex, refreeze it, and then keep the big shard glob in a glass container frozen.. might be easier in the long run.

k the ophos just got here with no directions on assembly or cart filling... can anyone offer any advice please?

jambandphan03

in flavor country
One of the ways I found to store my oil is in these little tins. http://www.bottlesetc.com/industrial_containers/tins_-_two_piece_flat_drawn_

I think we have the 1/2 oz, and 1oz sized.

In my process, I run a little less than a cup worth of alcohol in a small pint sized jelly jar of trim, filter then put in a stainless steel measuring cup on my coffee warmer. I try to keep an eye on it, so I can catch it at the point where enough alcohol is mostly evaporated, but there is still enough to keep it liquid so I can pour it into the small tin I linked up above ^

Then I put my coffee warmer at a slight tilt, so the liquid will settle at one end of the tin as it evaps and purges completely. Then I just let the process finish in the storage tin, and when it's done, it's done and I can put the lid on. Once I get the oil spread around the tin (during use) to the point that it's hard to dab, I can just rewarm it at a tilt, and it will puddle back down to one side, and make it easy to dab again.

If I wait too long at the SS cup evap. stage, and it's no longer easy to pour, I just add a bit more alcohol, stir it up until it's all absorbed again, then transfer it to the tin, and finish the purge.

None of my Iso extract has been hard enough to handle. It's all be gooey, so this was my way around the collecting problems.

jambandphan03,

kittyboy

What happens when you put a tiny bit on a piece of foil and heat it with your lighter? It should easily melt and flow then completely evaporate and leave nothing behind. The stuff I had didn't do that but it did just fine in my HA.

OF
I did the test and it burn off well. On one test there was a small dark spot but I had match real close to foil.
Again will terpenes leave residue? thanks

One of the ways I found to store my oil is in these little tins. http://www.bottlesetc.com/industrial_containers/tins_-_two_piece_flat_drawn_

I think we have the 1/2 oz, and 1oz sized.

In my process, I run a little less than a cup worth of alcohol in a small pint sized jelly jar of trim, filter then put in a stainless steel measuring cup on my coffee warmer. I try to keep an eye on it, so I can catch it at the point where enough alcohol is mostly evaporated, but there is still enough to keep it liquid so I can pour it into the small tin I linked up above ^

Then I put my coffee warmer at a slight tilt, so the liquid will settle at one end of the tin as it evaps and purges completely. Then I just let the process finish in the storage tin, and when it's done, it's done and I can put the lid on. Once I get the oil spread around the tin (during use) to the point that it's hard to dab, I can just rewarm it at a tilt, and it will puddle back down to one side, and make it easy to dab again.

If I wait too long at the SS cup evap. stage, and it's no longer easy to pour, I just add a bit more alcohol, stir it up until it's all absorbed again, then transfer it to the tin, and finish the purge.

None of my Iso extract has been hard enough to handle. It's all be gooey, so this was my way around the collecting problems.
Would the tin be the best for storin would think glass better? just wondering

kittyboy,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
yeah, glass would work too, I guess I like the way the tin heats up easy on the coffee warmer, and I already had it laying around.

jambandphan03,

sidewing

i was curious about the tin/glass thing.. i was wondering if tin is considered a safe metal of if any leeches into the extract..

everything works absolutely great.. and once its primed, (takes like 5 seconds) it hits so fast.. instantly.. good sized hits. lets see how long this 0.8g cartridge will last me. iso hash working great in it

OF

I did the test and it burn off well. On one test there was a small dark spot but I had match real close to foil.
Again will terpenes leave residue? thanks

You're welcome.

Good news then, it must be a matter of heat in loading. Be sure the tube below the funnel is plenty hot (don't let the bottom get too hot to hold comfortably though) before you try to melt it down. If it hits cold metal on the way it's likely to stop. Sounds from here like you need more heat?

No, terpenes boil off before THC does, which is why you taste them first. Stuff left behind is usually waxes and other 'plant junk'. Eventually it will clog the heater in the Omicron. If it flows free and mostly burns off you should be good to go.

Good luck.

everything works absolutely great.. and once its primed, (takes like 5 seconds) it hits so fast.. instantly.. good sized hits. lets see how long this 0.8g cartridge will last me. iso hash working great in it

Great news. Keep an eye out for leaks (the other end of 'won't feed well').

Congrats.

OF

sidewing

the 5 ohms are supposed to b the lowest power right? im thinking of ordering some, cuz the 2.4 hits hard and fast.. so the 5ohm should be solid.. i want to make some really good oil extract out of some really good bubble hash i have..

the o-phos is 3.7v right? going to order more carts

sidewing,

kindbeats

Terps Up, Temps Down
today i got my (5 ohm)cart from pv and loaded it up with some sour d wax and wanted do to a quick cloud video enjoy

Nice clouds, bro! My 5 ohms just arrived today and I'm looking forward to filling one with some White Kush budder that I just whipped up. :ko:

kindbeats,

GR

I was wondering what other folks experience with the 14250 battery where thinking?

I raved about them in the mini when they where new but since they see a lot of charging to stay at full output I am finding they have very little life in them lately. My two original 14250 batts seem to only give about 5 tokes before the light starts flashing now and are pretty useless at 7.4 volts with more then two good puffs. I ordered two 14250s but one was DOA, I need to see if the one recent working batt lasts longer then the original ones sent with the HVD top. Could it be that the 2.5 tops eat more energy then the HVD top does? I have not used the HVD top for anything other then 7.4v use since I got the 2.5 tops.

Edit: I just put the HVD top on a batt that was blinking on the V2.5 top and I am getting big rips, guess it is not the battery?!

GR,
Sorry guys, i can't make a new post so i have to ask questions from here.
As you guys may know using my omicron v2 with a 1.5ohm cart. But recently i just don't get enough vapor.
Even when i prime it for about 20-30 sec, and do a slow drag. The vapor amount, and density are insufficient. its my room light, it's barely enough to see the vapor. What do you guys suggest i do. It also happened with my last cart.

I have lit the top of my cart 2 times and nothing really works.

csgunner17,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
the 5 ohms are supposed to b the lowest power right? im thinking of ordering some, cuz the 2.4 hits hard and fast.. so the 5ohm should be solid.. i want to make some really good oil extract out of some really good bubble hash i have..
if you are using an omicron. you only want to use 1.5 -3 ohm carts. thicker concentrate needs lower ohms = more power to oil. get some 1.5 ohms for bigger clouds, not 5 ohm. you need 7.4v for 5 ohm carts
I was wondering what other folks experience with the 14250 battery where thinking?

Edit: I just put the HVD top on a batt that was blinking on the V2.5 top and I am getting big rips, guess it is not the battery?!
Sounds like you have a bad v2.5 top. at only 10 bucks, i'd just get a new one. you do have to be easy on the 14250's tho. don't run 'em down. unfortunately none of the heads read low batt well enough for these. i have had a few bad ones as well, i usually have a few extras laying around. change 'em early and often, is my advice

Bob Loblaw,
Reactions: GR

tharealmclovin

Sorry guys, i can't make a new post so i have to ask questions from here.
As you guys may know using my omicron v2 with a 1.5ohm cart. But recently i just don't get enough vapor.
Even when i prime it for about 20-30 sec, and do a slow drag. The vapor amount, and density are insufficient. its my room light, it's barely enough to see the vapor. What do you guys suggest i do. It also happened with my last cart.

I have lit the top of my cart 2 times and nothing really works.

Do you have a scale??? if so weigh it, it may be out. with 1.5's you dont need to prime that long. From what I hear if you prime that long, the oil kinda vapes off the side of the hot cartridge and never makes it to the main heater. I may be wrong.

tharealmclovin,
Top Bottom