Discontinued Old City Diffusers

vap999

hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
vap999 said:
Can you tell us what's happening and what materials are inside? What materials does air come into contact with (e.g., does air contact wood, steel, glass, silicone rubber, the heating element power supply wires)? What serves as the heat sink/exchanger -- what actually happens to heat the air?'
its in there ; try page 1 may b

Going back, I saw a lot about the heating element (but not the heat exchanger), performance and the visible exterior innovations. What's inside (besides the heating element), what's heating the air, and what's in the full air path? For example, is the air path sealed or is air exposed to wood?

These are pretty basic questions and I'm confident OCD will get to telling us about these aspects soon enough.

vap999,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
@Wes, re: glass tube -- have you considered different diameters? i found a noticable difference between my standard 12mm x 4" tube and a 16mm x 6" tube -- i think the extra volume from increased diameter has more effect than the extra length. And i agree 4" is a convenient size -- plus i'm more likely to bump or knock over my 6" tube.

Also, i see most condensation in the part of the tube closest to the heater -- that first inch, after that, virtually no condensation. And, yeah, glass really doesn't transmit heat very far -- when the end is at 400F, it is possible to touch/hold the tube 2" away from the hot end (i think i'm remembering that right -- it's been a while since i tried that).

Hippie Dickie,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
vap999 said:
hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
vap999 said:
Can you tell us what's happening and what materials are inside? What materials does air come into contact with (e.g., does air contact wood, steel, glass, silicone rubber, the heating element power supply wires)? What serves as the heat sink/exchanger -- what actually happens to heat the air?'
its in there ; try page 1 may b

Going back, I saw a lot about the heating element (but not the heat exchanger), performance and the visible exterior innovations. What's inside (besides the heating element), what's heating the air, and what's in the full air path? For example, is the air path sealed or is air exposed to wood?

These are pretty basic questions and I'm confident OCD will get to telling us about these aspects soon enough.

The heating element is a nichrome wire encased in a ceramic and MGO core that is completely sealed in a stainless steel housing. The stainless heating element transfers heat to the stainless steel heat exchanger, which is mainly what the air will come in contact with to get heated for vaporizing. The air will be drawn through the top of the unit and is liable to touch stainless steel and the ceramic insulator that surrounds the heat exchanger between the walls of the wood. Once it has been drawn into the heat exchanger area the next path will be a carefully drilled hole in the ceramic housing where it exits into the horizontal hole in the side where you load the vapor tube. The small hole you see where the stems will load is lined with stainless steel tubing and has an additional catch screen to prohibit any loose blends from falling into your heater during use, especially if your going to be turned these upside-down or on its side for any extra vapor cooling operations you may wish to add. To be clear inside the vaporizer, the air will come only in contact with stainless steel, ceramic and wood. It will not travel through any wires, or dimmers, or any electronics (other than the heater itself). the entire upper part of the unit is completely sealed from the lower portion where the controls are held for adjusting power.

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Hippie Dickie said:
@Wes, re: glass tube -- have you considered different diameters? i found a noticable difference between my standard 12mm x 4" tube and a 16mm x 6" tube -- i think the extra volume from increased diameter has more effect than the extra length. And i agree 4" is a convenient size -- plus i'm more likely to bump or knock over my 6" tube.

Also, i see most condensation in the part of the tube closest to the heater -- that first inch, after that, virtually no condensation. And, yeah, glass really doesn't transmit heat very far -- when the end is at 400F, it is possible to touch/hold the tube 2" away from the hot end (i think i'm remembering that right -- it's been a while since i tried that).

I agree the portability of the 4" is most desirable for me, it seems like the strongest as well. The 6" will cool better but is a bit more clumsy and I am most definitely more on the clumsy side.

I have not explored any other size tubing yet... this may require different bowl sizes/hole sizes/different o-ring size/ screen size... but is a good idea if your interested in further cooling...

just some real rough estimations just for fun:

the 4" will have around .79"^3 of volume --- (the lateral surface area will be around 6.28"^2)
the 5" will have around .98"^3 of volume --- (the lateral surface area will be around 7.85"^2)
the 6" will have around 1.18"^3 of volume --- (the lateral surface area will be around 9.42"^2)

Just for reference you would .38"^3 more volume going from 4" to 6" and from 4" to 6" again you would have an extra 3 square inches of surface area. I could be wrong on this stuff, I'll double check my calculations but just use this for reference.

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Boxes are made by me, in house - sliding lid cover - I offer different stains if you would like it stained - I use only soy-based stains that are completely safe and environmentally friendly (cherry, deep ebony, walnut, and maple) - more pictures coming but here is a sneak peek
IMG_0203.JPG

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
here is a shot of the unfinished boxes, a bit rustic? the stained boxes are very pretty ... will post more up as I take more :peace:

IMG_0218.JPG

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
spentskeeper said:
Wes,
What are the wood choices that are available now?
for the housing - Cherry is the only one available right now - Cypress is in the testing process

Old City Diffusers,

spentskeeper

Old City Diffusers said:
spentskeeper said:
Wes,
What are the wood choices that are available now?
for the housing - Cherry is the only one available right now - Cypress is in the testing process
is that cherry in the pic you just posted?

spentskeeper,

vape4health

After seeing the box this thing comes in I almost had to do it , some life change's have forced me to be :ninja: or I would be saying the exact same thing as spentskeeper .

Great looking vape and I really love the variable temp , best of wish's to you OCD .

vape4health,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Here is an example of a stained one in Deep Ebony:
IMG_0257.JPG

Here is the OCD "Cane Pick" (if off topic I'll delete) , I make specifically for the OCD Vaporizer - handcrafted by me. They remind me of a walking cane, but are shaped at the end to fit and work well inside the "bowl" of the OCD vapor tubes.
IMG_0259.JPG

Close up shot:
IMG_0261.JPG

Another:
IMG_0263.JPG

Old City Diffusers,

lwien

That bowl looks to be about twice the size of either the PD or MZ bowls, volume-wise. Is that actually the case, or are the pics just making it look that way.

lwien,

george

The box and "cane pick" is included for 175$? It seems like it, but i just wanna make sure. What are the dimensions of the box?
This stuff all looks very neat, definately digging the all natural and soy based products.

george,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
lwien said:
That bowl looks to be about twice the size of either the PD or MZ bowls, volume-wise. Is that actually the case, or are the pics just making it look that way.

the opening is about 7.9 +/- mm or around 5/16" - probably double the size you are correct - I find I reach the most efficiency when I use it half full and use the stir tool to often break up larger bits of blend to get a few more good draws.

Old City Diffusers,

hereatlast

Ya are those extras? Boxes looks purdy for sure, nice simple set-up. I can't get over the thickness of that chord, nice.

hereatlast,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
george said:
The box and "cane pick" is included for 175$? It seems like it, but i just wanna make sure. What are the dimensions of the box?
This stuff all looks very neat, definately digging the all natural and soy based products.

Cane pick is not included in the kit. the box is - stain is additional but the box is also included unfinished in the price... the dimensions of the box are 8x8x5 to easily house your vapor tubes and cord or anything else you might want to store with it.

Old City Diffusers,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Wow OCD... I think the box put's it over the top. I am in for sure. Shoot me an email when you have a chance, cherry and cypress both seem nice.

IAmKrazy2,

lwien

Old City Diffusers said:
lwien said:

the opening is about 7.9 +/- mm or around 5/16" - probably double the size you are correct - I find I reach the most efficiency when I use it half full and use the stir tool to often break up larger bits of blend to get a few more good draws.

Ah, ok. Great. Thanks. But yeah, for me, that's a real key issue in that if the OCD is as efficient as the other log style vapes on the market at a temp of say around 380f.

Really hope to see some reviews from those that own both.

Nice packaging, btw.

lwien,

guardian

hey OCD, i heard something about a glass essential oil diffuser? does this attach to the ocd vaporizer to give it a second use :ninja: if so post a pic ...but just the unit alone a piece of wood with a hole and screen in it might attract to much un-needed attention from guests asking what it is :2c: , by emailing to get a unit before the website launches do you send a paypal link of sorts for a safe order? everything but the cane pick which im guessing is glass is $175 shipping included? , apparently the nature/path of the heat exchanger has been explained above could we see a picture of the air inlet at the top of the unit? THANKS A LOT HOPE TO HEAR YOUR ANSWERS

guardian,

shantytown007

This looks awesome. I wrote a whole bunch more, but deleted it, since it was all variations of the first sentence.

shantytown007,

vapormonkey

For the boxes, I'd preserve the natural beauty of the wood and simply varnish it or one of the modern equivalents. This alone should darken the wood quite a bit especially if you used honey colored. I love the urethane foam inserts. Looks like pick and pluck. I'm a foam guy.

vapormonkey,
Top Bottom