Discontinued Old City Diffusers

lwien

elmomuzz said:
Turn it all the way up. Wait 30 mins and try again.

Mine also smells like heated wood when on. It doesn't get hot enough to char the wood as far as I can tell.

How can you tell how hot it's getting on the inside where the charring would occur?

lwien,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I can't tell for sure so I'm going by smell. I'll use it for a few weeks then take it apart and inspect it.

elmomuzz,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Oh thanks Elmo! I feel much better now. I was kinda scared to leave it cranked up for too long. I shall put it through some more paces tomorrow :)

Lo,

420Tom

I hooked up my kill a watt to my OCD and when I have it cranked, it goes to 20.3. The 3 o'clock position gets me to about 14 watts. So it seems the wattage is the same for getting the right zone for vaping, but for some reason mine is the Spinal Tap version that goes to 11.

I definitely have the smell of wood when I turn mine on...but I can't imagine that it could be hot enough to catch on fire. (Yeah, I know, famous last words.) I figure the wood smell will dissipate with time.

I really like that wooden knob.

Tom

420Tom,

Ennui Cookout

I'm going to plug mine in and crank it for a bit to see if I have a similar experience. I'm currently unable to obtain medication at the moment hence why I haven't even used mine, but I do own a Kill-O-Watt (these things are so rad, not just for vapes) and I do have an OCD, so I might as well contribute.

EDIT: Cranked up, I'm averaging 20.0~20.3 watts. 3 O'Clock gets me 14 watts. I actually have a little speck in the wood exactly where 14.0~14.1 happens, so I don't even need to mark it -- sweet!

Looks like 420Tom and I have twins! Hopefully this is a bit more uniform across units and common then.

I'm gonna let it go full tilt and see about a smell next.

EDIT 2: The unit does have a bit of drift on the dial as it breaks in, your sweet spot will move.

Ennui Cookout,

lwien

Is this smell more than a smell that one gets on a brand spankin' new PD or Zap (pretty faint smell) that eventually fades to nothing in about a week? If so, than maybe we just need to give the OCD's a bit of time to............char in (ok, break-in) a bit, 'cause I think by it's very design, all wood bodied vapes like these would kind of exhibit the same issue, eh?

lwien,

Ennui Cookout

I'm afraid I've not used a Zap or a PD, but I actually had the same line of thought Iwien. I'm now thirty minutes in at full tilt and the smell kinda reminds me a bit of sawdust. While it's not offensive to me or even that particularly strong, I do imagine if I let it burn-in a bit it'll probably dissipate. I'll probably try seeing if I can't burn it out by the time I pick up more medication, for sure.

@elmomuzz, your thoughts on the smell would be most welcome.

Edit: Okay much later, maybe an hour or two into heating, there's a smell that sorta reminds me of roasting marshmallows. It's not a horrible smell, but it's more noticeable. I'm not seeing any smoke or signs that anything is wrong. The top of the unit is pretty warm, bordering on hot, but it's still easy enough to pick up and handle the unit. I'm fairly sure the smell will go away after burning in as mentioned.

Ennui Cookout,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
Today will be day 3 of me letting it run all day. Yesterday it did seem less smelly then day one. I'll see how today goes.

When you hit it the taste is great so the smell doesn't effect the flavor much.

elmomuzz,

lwien

Just a side note.

What is happening here is the reason that I'll never be the "first on my block" to purchase a brand new product. Getting one free for beta is one thing, but spending my money on one is another, for regardless of the intent of the manufacturer and regardless of any exhaustive beta testing that may go on prior to release, it is all to common that there will be bugs that need to be worked out and that running improvements are typically necessary for a product to become truly viable.

lwien,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
Mine has started to crack. Since it's made of wood and gets hot this can happen. We'll see how bad it gets.

If it goes out of service I luckily have a few backup vapes. :)

elmomuzz,

caseball2051

lwien there are also advantages to being an early adopter. Especially when the seller seems to be as committed to getting the best product possible out the door.

If it were something less personal from a large company, id agree though.

caseball2051,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
lwien said:
Just a side note.

What is happening here is the reason that I'll never be the "first on my block" to purchase a brand new product. Getting one free for beta is one thing, but spending my money on one is another, for regardless of the intent of the manufacturer and regardless of any exhaustive beta testing that may go on prior to release, it is all to common that there will be bugs that need to be worked out and that running improvements are typically necessary for a product to become truly viable.

Eh, we are all in different situations. Personally I don't mind giving 200$ to someone if it pushes the market forward and broadens it. Sure there might be some growing pains but if no one gives a seemingly good product a chance then it will never have a chance to become something bigger.

Skunkypete,

lwien

Skunkypete said:
Eh, we are all in different situations. Personally I don't mind giving 200$ to someone if it pushes the market forward and broadens it. Sure there might be some growing pains but if no one gives a seemingly good product a chance then it will never have a chance to become something bigger.

Yeah, but when I buy a vape, I don't buy it to push the market forward. I buy it because I want a vape to work well and to be as trouble free as possible.

There will always be early adopters, but I doubt very much that the reason that they adopt early is in an effort to push the market forward, but rather just a desire to own and use the "latest and the greatest", which by the way, I totally understand. It's a fun endeavor that I used to do, but really can't afford to do that anymore.

lwien,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I have 2 vapes that keep me 100% satisfied. Those are the volcano and mflb. But variety is what makes life fun so when I see something cool I check it out. Wes is a cool guy and I'm sure any problems that crop up will get dealt with.

In the mean time I am really enjoying the tokes the OCD is giving me. I like that the bowl is glass so I can see the color change of the load as I toke and the vapor flowing down the tube.

elmomuzz,

Lo

I'm okay doing early adoption as sometimes early users can provide feedback which helps develop a better product. I understand that is not for everyone and I also have many backup options.

I took your advice Elmo and cranked it up closer to full power, let it preheat for 30-40 minutes. Well, it got hot. Started to crack at the top also :( and the room smells like burning wood again. Not like the wood smell from heating a new log vape but more like campfire nearby.

I tried to use it but no vapor and the smell and a taste/smell of campfire too harsh to be huffing IMHO.

I'm thinking mine might have some issues. I'll email OCD and report back.

Lo,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
lwien said:
There will always be early adopters, but I doubt very much that the reason that they adopt early is in an effort to push the market forward

You say you don't want to pay to bug test a product , I say I want to pay to encourage more *(good) vapes to the market. I already own enough vapes to know there are no best ones and if I or other people want to encourage the makers we think are making a good product, or for whatever else reason, I think that's our business. I find your attitude condescending.

Skunkypete,

lwien

Just be careful, guys. This overheating issue could pose health as well as safety issues. Doesn't sound like you want to leave these puppies on and unattended.

lwien,

lwien

Skunkypete said:
I find your attitude condescending.

Then I apologize. That was not my intent.

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have posted up my personal thoughts on being an early adopter. Like I said previously, I used to be one and really enjoyed it. Just can't afford to do that anymore.

lwien,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
My guess is the heat exchanger is not super effecient so it needs to get pretty hot to get air up to vape temp. I really want to look at it but at this point won't so my warrenty is intact.

elmomuzz,

Lo

Well give Wes props for his customer service. I received a reply to my email SEVEN minutes after sending...on a Saturday :D Kudos for customer service!!

He offered to look at it, repair, replace. Maybe mine was damaged in transit, I'm not sure. He said it should produce vapor and not be cracking. I'll send it to him to check out and will let you guys know.

Lo,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Alright, well I'll try to do this quoting, answering questions (if I missed your question, please let me know)

Lo said:
Hmmm... So I got mine but no instructions. I heated about 12-1 o'clock for about 1/2 hour and it wasn't hot enough to produce vapor. I turned up a bit further and waited awhile. I did get vapor then but also started smelling a 'campfire' smell...like wood burning. I ended up turning off and unplugging.

You guys that have gotten yours...about how far are you turning the dial to preheat?? Thanks in advance!

It looks really nice, the box looks nice too. I asked for mine to be left naked :brow:

Look forward to giving this a go again over the weekend.

Lo,

It sounds like your unit is not functioning properly, I sent you an email a few minutes ago - With the crack in the top and not getting full hits I suspect it is not just a bad day but a not so OCD day. It may have gotten jostled in shipping or could just be plain my fault. If you get it back here I will inspect, if you want to wait for the new version that you'll be eligible for that is ok to.

Gunky said:
146 degrees fahrenheit on the outside of the unit seems a bit much. I would wonder about cracking and long-term durability.

The new design change is a bit different then the one implemented now; I am working as hard as I can at the moment to develop the new heater - which will in turn will dissipate much less heat and work on a much simpler heat exchanger- essentially following a KISS principle after working with an array of more complex design plans. I have a prototype working right now without a temperature controller that has been left on for days without a problem but finding quality suppliers and working with new companies takes time and money. The new unit might actually run at a higher wattage but will include a much smaller heating element. The main focus of the next heater will be to limit the dissipation of heat to only where it is needed which in turn will prevent or at least reduce cracking and heat dissipation to the rest of the unit and will hopefully equally reduce any odors or ambient wood smell/taste that could be associated with the current design.

Lo said:
Oh wow!! I LOVE the wooden knob!! Love it! I have a black plastic knob on mine.

I'm going to plug mine in now and give it another spin. Here's hoping I'm not burning wood lol.

The wooden knobs were great when they were finished, but the fact that hardwoods are a bit finicky when drilled and tapped (especially under such a small volume/area of wood such as a dial). There was just not enough time in the day for me to spend 30+ minutes on each dial to get it right while, also as time permits I feared that the set screw that set the position of the dial would eventually wear out. It was in my and your best interest to submit to a mass produced aluminum dial that works equally if not better because it is such a tight fit.

Old City Diffusers,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
My wooden knob didn't look like anything special at first but I sanded it down smooth and applied "buzz butter". It brought out the beauty.

In fact I spent an hour going over my entire ocd unit with sandpaper to achieve a very smooth finish. I then applied the butter.

What you see in my picture is the result of that. I was going to mention that in my in depth review but I'll spill the beans now. The finish is came with was nice (a buffed lacquer) but I knew I could do better. Nothing against Wes I'm just a picky sob. :D

elmomuzz,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
lwien said:
Skunkypete said:

Yeah, but when I buy a vape, I don't buy it to push the market forward. I buy it because I want a vape to work well and to be as trouble free as possible.

There will always be early adopters, but I doubt very much that the reason that they adopt early is in an effort to push the market forward, but rather just a desire to own and use the "latest and the greatest", which by the way, I totally understand. It's a fun endeavor that I used to do, but really can't afford to do that anymore.

Iwien,

I am trying my best to not take your remarks personally and to sift through them for information that might move toward a better OCD. If I had the funding available I would have gladly made and shipped these units to all those interested for free, however without getting to far into my personal life; lets just say I come from humble beginnings, I also have no partners or investors - I am truly flying solo on this venture. I have liquidated assets for research and development and continue to do so because I feel as though there is start of something that could be a great product and I am working on those changes as we speak. This is the second time (which I take full responsibility for) that some personal matters have been brought up; I appreciate you wanting to be a part of the experience but I wonder at the aim of some of your comments. I am sorry if I have offended you or anyone else, I guess I sometimes get frustrated toward the mentality of "forum" conversation. I try and intend on being as polite in person as I am on this forum and I appreciate all your input because it has put a stress on OCD to become better, that wouldn't be there had I not came to you guys first.

That being said,

New improvements are in the works and I would say are needed for current OCD users. I am working a much simpler heating unit / heat exchanger setup; issues tackled will be (in a nutshell)...heat dissipation which can be directly related to taste interference and dealing with the natural propensity of wood to crack especially under conditions that may expedite the natural process.

If time permits I may be able to replace the rheostat/dimmer with a temperature controller. Since I am posting I was wondering if anyone would like to comment on the idea of losing the knob on the front of the unit that controls the temperature and hiding it on the bottom of the unit. It would be placed under the unit - actually making it a little more discreet - but if I am able to fit it into the PCB I might actually be able to give you guys/gals an LED or visual readout of temperatures. (Don't get to excited as this is still in the works). Essentially the control and display would be hidden from the naked eye and concealed on the bottom of the unit. The temperature control would increase the accuracy and safety of the unit because it would act as a temperature limiter or thermostat.

Old City Diffusers,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
elmomuzz said:
Today will be day 3 of me letting it run all day. Yesterday it did seem less smelly then day one. I'll see how today goes.

When you hit it the taste is great so the smell doesn't effect the flavor much.

I understand your maxim for rigorous testing, however I am in the process of changing the heater. So maybe you might want to save the rigorous testing for the next unit? but its your OCD and you can do what you wish to it. I tried to advise against leaving the unit on for days on end but I guess there is a predisposition to want to do that to wooden vaporizers because of the design of other log vapes on the market, but I could be wrong. I hope your enjoying your OCD and I am working to iron out the kinks so you can have a product that will meet your needs, let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Old City Diffusers,

lwien

Old City Diffusers said:
Iwien,

I am sorry if I have offended you ........., I guess I sometimes get frustrated toward the mentality of "forum" conversation.

No need to apologize and no offense taken.

It is totally understandable why one would want to defend something that they have given birth to and has a passion with that which they have created.

I, on the other hand, has pretty much ingrained in my DNA, a desire to play devils advocate, and to challenge new ideas and new products. I do it all the time and am not targeting the OCD by any means. I sincerely hope that you don't take my comments personally, for they are not meant to personally offend, but rather to possibly bring a different perspective and viewpoint in contrast to popular opinions.

lwien,
Top Bottom