Discontinued Old City Diffusers

Ennui Cookout

I'm still lurking, have been waiting to hear an update from Wes regarding the new heating units.

I'm having a bit of strage fright on actually doing a video, to be honest else I'd have posted one. I only have a crappy smartphone cam but it'd be decent enough for YouTube. I might see about doing one, though others have mentioned possibly doing one as well.

So far the unit is running pretty smoothly. The knob turns a little too easily and I have to check the temp with the Kill-O-Watt every so often to make sure it's not drifting off course due to bumping the knob and such. I really do like the hits I can pull off of this once I get into the flow of pulling perfect hits, which I still need practice on. That being said, I'm wondering if I actually need working parts if I'm finding a temperature I enjoy and I'm not cranking the temp before I consider a bowl cached like I would with my Volcano, this is leaving bowls pretty brown and caked up already. Because of that, I *really* need to try out a standard log vape to really A/B test.

Chances are I'll probably get both a PD and a MyrtleZap by the end of the year just 'cause. I know I *really* am looking at the muslin bag that comes with the PD and realizing I *really* wish I had something like that to empty these stems into. The Glass Tooty also looks like a fun stem, so either one I start with is going to wind up with one.

-- Actually, Iwien, I busted up reading one of your earlier posts where you mentioned you need to use the muslin bag repeatedly and to never blow it into a shotglass... because predictably enough I tried that with a set of small glass jars I use to store ABV and ground material -- and predictably enough that *sucked*. Upon reflection I'm amazed I didn't think of that up front, usually I'm not that hapless.

Anyway, keeping the stem clean on this is kinda a chore. I have to use a rather nicely made toothpick to dig around the bowl for mixing and scraping it clean before tapping it into a jar. This vape is certainly messier to own than either the Volcano or the MFLB have been due to fussing with the stems, which is kinda a bummer. Even with the cleaning aside, sometimes matter falls into the socket/screen for the heat exchanger a bit too easily and I've not been able to reliably 'glue' stuff into place after one hit. Sometimes this winds up on my clothes and such which is never a problem with the LB or the Volcano due to the way your herb is packed more into the device.

I'm sure part of this is just not being properly equipped to get a good workflow going, but it's worth noting you'll need one if you're a fussy one.

Ennui Cookout,

lwien

Ennui Cookout said:
-- Actually, Iwien, I busted up reading one of your earlier posts where you mentioned you need to use the muslin bag repeatedly and to never blow it into a shotglass... because predictably enough I tried that with a set of small glass jars I use to store ABV and ground material -- and predictably enough that *sucked*. Upon reflection I'm amazed I didn't think of that up front, usually I'm not that hapless.

:lol: It never ceases to amaze me how hapless I can be sometimes.

lwien,

panasonic

lwien said:
Old City Diffusers said:
Iwien,

I am sorry if I have offended you ........., I guess I sometimes get frustrated toward the mentality of "forum" conversation.

No need to apologize and no offense taken.

It is totally understandable why one would want to defend something that they have given birth to and has a passion with that which they have created.

I, on the other hand, has pretty much ingrained in my DNA, a desire to play devils advocate, and to challenge new ideas and new products. I do it all the time and am not targeting the OCD by any means. I sincerely hope that you don't take my comments personally, for they are not meant to personally offend, but rather to possibly bring a different perspective and viewpoint in contrast to popular opinions.

Wait a minute---are you lawyer? Not jesting or anything, just curious. Pessimism correlates with performance in law.

panasonic,

lwien

Wes, it's been almost a month since you've posted here. I know you mentioned that you are making some running improvements to the OCD. Just wonderin' how it's goin'.

lwien,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I sent mine back almost a month ago but haven't heard any updates. I'll post when I know something.

Lo,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I've been using mine every day. I have it hooked up to a nice glass piece and am loving it. :)

elmomuzz,

Ennui Cookout

@elmomuzz: Would be totally rad if you could post a photo of your OCD/Glass setup and some details on it.

(... Yes, I'm looking for ideas)

@jeffp: I had seen a few decent bags up, that's totally a nice looking set. Thanks!

-----

I shot Wes an email poke, as I had a few questions about obtaining new accessories anyway. Earlier in this thread he did mention his computer did get trashed so I imagine that's directly related to his scarcity at the moment. Hopefully Lo gets taken care of.

Ennui Cookout,

Lo

I'm not worrying here. I know Wes was waiting on some parts and working on some upgrades. Patience is a virtue and I'm patient ROFL!

Lo,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Hello all!

Sorry for the lack of updates but I have been designing a new setup the last month or so as you all know. I have the new design completely drawn and was sent the engineers to have a mold/die set up to become the new OCD heating elements. These heaters will be pure ceramic (RHOS compliant) and I have honestly been waiting on my prototype samples to get to me for almost 3 weeks. Getting absolutely new parts made is a painstakingly slow process, especially when you have the voice of a small company. Once the samples get to my door, I will begin testing the prototype and if no internal changes(ie - adjustment of wattage) need to be made, I will place a final order for a large amount so I can begin replacing older versions and again selling new OCD vapes. I am pretty excited about the new heating units; because of the fact that they are made from ceramic and have no external sheath (metal sheathed heaters often suffer from metal fatigue) these heaters are akin to a very very long life.

There is also one other part that is new to the OCD, I will be implementing a larger and custom made ceramic housing. I have the CAD drawings of it but I have to wait till the heater is in my hands in order to adjust for tolerances and any small revisions that might be needed, but the new design is fairly concrete right now, just waiting to get parts made that I have designed.

With the implementation of the new design, I think I have solved the over-heating / premature degradation problem, but I will not say so until the extensive testing has been done and I can confirm this with the final unit. I have tested a prototype I had made (rather then using a ceramic insulator, one was crafted using low-fire earthenware), and used a heating element close to what I have ordered, spun a housing and it works great. I will post pictures hopefully in the next few weeks of a completed design, but this is all banking on how quick I receive the heating elements and new ceramic insulators. I have been working hard to come up with a solution to the problems while remaining at the same price as before. You will see some drastic changes to the newer units, that I believe you all might like, you just might have to wait a little while to see them...

One thing before I step away from the computer. Since it would be a waste of time to just wait for parts to get here (which it feels like I am ALWAYS doing, haha). I had spent sometime working on a few things...

I will be offering adapters soon to hook up to your other 'water filtering' devices. I would like to know what joint sizes you guys typically use? I will be working with some ground glass joints and would like to know what sizes are common to you guys, do you typically work with US (14/20 & 24/40) or European sizes which seem to be a bit more extensive (10/19, 14/23, 19/26, 24/29 & 29/32). I'll probably be able to stock the most common sizes and do special orders for uncommon sizes when necessary. If all goes well these will come in both male and female, why? because I thought it would be nice if you needed to to use both your water filtering, vapor cooling, as well as if you wanted to use whips from others (if they use common joint sizes) you would be able to, making it a little bit more versitile of a vaporizer, because some people may be buying there first vaporizer but more often then not I see people that collect them and have access to a plethora of vapor whips and accessories.

Also on a note for the Muslim bag idea, I have been using a collection device that I have made out of wood and I have been using it for sometime, it does not have a large reservoir for holding a lot of spent herb but it does well for when you don't want to have a mess on the table. I will post pictures later of the device I made and you guys can let me know if your interested in this type of thing.

Old City Diffusers,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
Wes, Im glad to hear your still working to improve the OCD, as Ill be looking for another vape to supplement my MZ which I like allot. I really don't like the appearance of other vapes that arent wood, as some of them look like a science project or very clinical even though they work well. Im looking for another wood vape that has adjustable temp and the OCD seems to fit the bill. Once you get things running well I'll no doubt get one. Just a bit of off topic, I'll be moving down to Palm Coast FL not far from St Augustine as soon as I sell my house. Maybe I could make a visit and pick mine up. Good luck and I wish you well.

Lycanthrope,

hereatlast

Best of luck with the progress Wes!

I personally am very happy to see you moving towards GonG connections, I think this is a healthy and economically viable progression.

The most common GonG fittings used throughout the US (it seems) and certainly on this site, are 14mm (really 14.4) and 18mm (really 18.8). I think those are the two sizes that are really worth investing time and thought into...that said, I even think that producing solely 14mm connections might be a good idea. 14mm to 18mm GonG adapters are very easy to come by and probably a feature in many glass collector's collections. Again, all my two cents but I think 14mm is the way to go :)

Really happy to see you capitalizing on your already glass stems....that might be the last straw to make me pull the trigger. Again, best of luck with your new developments.

hereatlast,

lwien

Hey Wes. Glad to hear everything's ok. Damn, with all the changes you're makin', it sounds like a brand new vape.

lwien,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
lwien said:
Hey Wes. Glad to hear everything's ok. Damn, with all the changes you're makin', it sounds like a brand new vape.

Agreed, still operating under the same basic principles and same goofy creator but these changes were necessary to produce a vaporizer worth paying for. I tried to address each and everyone's issues or suggestions the best I could to come up with an updated version that would be a conglomerate of my and the forums suggestions. Is it taking long? Yes... Is it worth it? Absolutley, when I get these "final" revisions done on the OCD diffuser; I think myself and OCD patrons will love the new revisions. I know all this seems a bit ambiguous but I will get into details (most importantly pictures!) when the heaters arrive and I can make a working prototype for you all to see. I will give an update immediately when I receive the new heaters, hopefully within the next 2 weeks if I am lucky.

Old City Diffusers,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
hereatlast said:
Again, all my two cents but I think 14mm is the way to go :)

It doesn't happen often, but I agree with hereatlast.

I really like the fact that you took everyone's suggestions / issues and implemented changes so quickly. Your units so far show amazing woodworking and some unique and innovative ideas. Pretty sure you will have a lot of happy OCD vapists in the near future.

DeepFried,

Old City Diffusers

Master of Nothing
Manufacturer
Good news everybody,

Received the custom made heaters today! and will begin prototyping this weekend - I'll first start with the new concept and form a earthenware mold to house the new heater ( the earthenware mold will be replaced by a ceramic insulator for production units) and I can now begin the redevelopment of the new OCD vaporizer. If these heaters work out, the only piece of the puzzle will be to get the new insulator manufactured and we will have ourselves the updated version that will be available shortly after I have stabilized the design and the insulators are built and shipped to me (ceramic insulators are formed using a wide array of methods that I don't have available in my shop nor the massive kilns and technology to accomplish) Shooting for a optimistic April 20th to have these available but will be determined by the speed in which the ceramic manufacturer can produce the insulators for the new units.

Old City Diffusers,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Thanks for the update Wes, take your time to make it right... I got the LSV to occupy my time, and VXC on the horizon, but once this one is perfected, I would still like to add one to the collection.

IAmKrazy2,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Lo said:
Anyone heard anything on this??

No, I'm waiting on a unit as well. On an unrelated side note, the 306's are in fact much better. I'll let you know if I hear anything re OCD...

jeffp,

Lo

lol Jeff! I was just thinking about you the other day! Yeah I'm hooked on the LR306 crack from Cisco myself lol.

Thanks, let me know when you hear... curious how progress is going.

Lo,
Top Bottom