Discontinued MagickWand Vaporizer

Wow I didn't know the VXC was that close to launch, I can't wait to hear your reviews Krazy, you're in a unique position to give us a overview of some seriously awesome new vaporizers.

charliedontsurf,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just got my shipment notification. :brow:

It should be here by 4/20!!

Stu,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
So far? VERY easy to use. Can you say "one handed bonging"? Taste is very good. Been able to use this on afew small glass guys that only the supreme has milked before. Too awkward for the VHW. Seeing a lot I love and some other things I can critique. More to come.

Go Wings.

IAmKrazy2,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I look forward to your thoughts, Krazy. My Ben Wilson inline is waiting to try this baby out soon.

Go Ducks!

Stu,

arf777

No longer dogless
Though my VHW has been broken for a while, I owned it for a long time, and now have the LSV and MW as well. Just got my MW yesterday. So far, the MW is definitely easier to use than either the VHW or LSV. I really like that I can use it hands free with my glass, and its so light even my small bubblers (the ones with a flat bottom) can stand upright with it on.

I also definitely prefer the taste of the vape from the MW over the taste of the LSV - the LSV, even at its lowest setting, always has a bit of a scorched taste. Maybe from the heating element?

The down side - so far at least, the vapor from the MW is not as thick as the vapor from the LSV or the VHW. That may just be a learning curve though - have only played with the MW for 2 hours or so. I have tried it so far at the recommended setting (just where the light turns green) and a couple places beyond that. One cool thing, even at the highest temp, it was still tasty vapor, no sign of combustion. Tasty, visible vapor, just not thick and milky.

Anyone have advice on how to get the thicker vapor some folks are reporting (and you can see in Hipi's videos)? I assume a slower draw, maybe a tighter pack on the herbals? I don't expect the thickness of vapor I get from a PD, but it should be able to match the VHW or LSV in intensity.

I can't say enough about the convenience of the one-hand or no-hand use. I'm handicapped, have periodic neurological problems in my hands, drop things a lot. Being able to attach the wand to my pipe or bubbler and then just use it on a table is hugely helpful with that. And the taste of the vapor is amazing - closer to the VHW than the LSV, in my opinion.

Will post more after I get a few days in with this. Won't be for a couple more days - 2nd night of Passover is tonight, chag sameach to anyone celebrating. I'm sure with practice I'll be able to get the thick vape out of it. Took a bit of practice with the VHW when I first got it.

[Note- all testing with the 18mm bowl on a Luke Wilson 15 arm bubbler, and the 14mm bowl on an Incredibowl with a custom GonG adapter and a Pure beaker with 8-arm Toro ac]

arf777,

HiPi

C.Taylor
Manufacturer
What I have found produces clouds like the ones seen in the video is
1. A nice thin layer of good quality herb laid across the screen, if the herb is packed down the air flow is compromised and usually produces less vapor in my experience
2. A long slow draw will produce much more vapor than faster draws as it gives the herb a little time to "cook" in the bowl but once the Wand is fully heated and the bowl has heated from the wand sitting on it slightly faster rips can be taken with the same amount of vapor being produced.

I'm really excited to hear more people's experiences and based on a few emails you guys should have some nice detailed reviews coming your way soon!

HiPi,
Diff'rent strokes for different folks time.

In my short experience I've found that a relatively large pack works well, roughly a MFLB trench and almost as finely ground. I find that amount is a more than what I would consider "just covering the screen." I start at a gnat's wing beneath the recommended temp just to ensure low temp clouds.

It may be in my head but I think the 14mm bowl may create a higher vapor-to-air ratio than the 18.8 due to its more constricted design. I think the 18's might benefit from a constricted area in their airpath which would allow less air in.

I was just filling a tube with dense vapor you can't see through, using the 14mm and a decent size pack, at the temp on the dial I described. I still think I can get ever so slightly denser vapor from my vapobowl, but have come to prefer the MW for multiple reasons.

Mind you, the MW has been my daily driver since I got it. I hope that info might help Arf, I don't know if you have both bowls. The whole one handed factor is something I hadn't really thought of as such a big advantage, but it's true, the LSV and VHW both require alot more "doing" to get a hit, requiring both hands and alot more care and alarm.

charliedontsurf,

LivingInSpin

^^thanks, charliedontsurf. This is what I was asking about earlier in the thread about 18mm vs. 14mm. I ordered both so I will try to replicate your experience.

LivingInSpin,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Damn it. Worked about 14hrs yesterday, and hit the bar late night afterward for some shots and drinks. Long story short, a lady friend came back from the bar with me to try my new vape. We managed to get in one bowl, before i somehow broke my 18mm MW bowl. not cool. I have 3 Extreme bowls, never broke one. I have 3 VHW bowls (two from BM one official bowl), never broke one. I have one bowl from my LSV, and a lot of glass around the house. I will give you my opinion of the device a bit later, but was only able to use about 6 or 7 bowls total with it until i broke the bowl. A bummer, considering i would have really tested this thing well today otherwise.

IAmKrazy2,

caseball2051

it sucks that you cant put the MW through the ringer today, Krazy, I feel your pain.

Hopefully everyone has their unit and screens and can put it to good use today. Looking forward to hearing everyones opinions and views. I will be putting my thought the gauntlet on friday.

Be safe today. Happy holiday

caseball2051,

qpfwp7

vaporist
Yeah seeing Expected Delivery Date: April 21, 2011 was a major disappointment living in the same state & ordering during the original VIP sale

qpfwp7,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Just got mine in the mail. :brow: I'll be giving it a thorough 4/20 testing in a couple of hours.

:peace:

Stu,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Well, I'm on my second bowl and I thought I'd give my initial impressions.

Initial thoughts upon inspecting the unit. The power cord is not attached very well to the wand. It is fine now, but I'm wondering since it has no reinforcement (it's just threaded through a hole in the top of the wand) it could potentially create problems with wear and tear. The glass bowl that IAmKrazy broke does appear to be made of fairly thin glass. It's much more fragile feeling that my Arizer glass pieces, so I could see how they could break more easily. I think thicker glass would be a definite improvement.

I plugged it in and set it to the recommend setting. After about a five minute warm up I noticed that the wand was quite hot, but not unbearingly so. I took a few pulls, but only got some whisps of vapor (good flavor, though). I cranked the dial up to about 1:00 position and let it warm up for another 10 minutes. At that point the wand was very hot near the heating element, even when touching the silicone rings. I took a few more pulls and got some decent vapor that tasted very nice. When trying to stir the bowl, I did notice that the screen moved around very easily making it hard to stir. This may well be because the screen is new and hasn't had a chance to really grab hold with some use. I dunno.

I finished my first bowl and made the mistake of trying to take out the wand and the bowl without letting them cool down. Ouch! Note to self: let the fucking thing cool down next time

The vapor at the 1:00 setting wasn't spectacular, so I loaded another bowl and cranked it up to 2:00 (3:00 is the max setting on my unit) and got much better results as far as vapor goes. I think I'll try the next bowl at max temp just to see what happens.

I like the way that it's hands-free. You just slide it onto the bowl and it stays put. I do not really care for the configuation of the setup with my B Wilson mini inline because the top of the wand is almost touching my nose when I hit it. No big deal, though. I did notice that after a hit there is vapor excaping out the top of the wand. This was unexpected, but I guess understandable when you think about the design and that any un-inhaled vapor left in your downstem is going to go bye bye if you don't hit it again pretty quick.

Overall I am enjoying it and will post any further thoughts as they occur. I do think there could be improvements in the design (electrical cord more secure, thicker glass for the bowls, better heat protection), but I think HiPi should be congratulated for his vision. Here are a couple of pictures of my setup:

042011b.jpg

042011a.jpg

You can see what I mean about the proximity of the wand to my bong's mouthpiece. It is not really uncomfortable, just takes some getting used to.

Stu,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
As a few of you probably read, I already broke my bowl. But, Hipi contacted me back quickly, and i am picking up two more bowls, which should leave me flush for a bit. Ok, here it goes so far.

Efficiency:
Once you dial into perfection, this can be relatively efficient for a bong toker. I have never used a VaporTower, but the heating element is better then that of the 7th Floor Products IMO. But, this isn't a PD, and i had a difficult time browning everything perfectly, as the vapor path is pretty wide in the bowl, especially where the bowl flares out where the screen is placed. I feel you will get more good tasting hits on the MW then the VHW, but the VHW will vaporize the load quicker with the thicker tokes.

Taste:
Damn tasty. I would say on par with the LSV bong attachment or slightly better, no doubt. I feel like i want to give the slight edge to the MW. The MW taste was blowing my mind. Where the MW excels, is i was able to use it on smaller glass that is awkward to use with my VHW. I think because of this reason it actually tasted better, because i didnt have as large of glass in use to delude taste. I would have to try the MW with the glass i used with my VHW everyday to say 100% for certain which is better between these two, but it is close. FOR SURE the MW needs the least amount of stirring between the 3 to maintain a tasty hit. But that first super thick toke with the VHW (usually the second hit depending on how dry your med's are) has a deeper or thicker flavor maybe, if that makes sense.

Ease of use:
Yes sir!! Best of the 3 bong tokers for sure! i said it before, ill say it again. One hand bong tokes! Awesome. I wasn't even pulling the slide on my one bong much, just hitting it over and over while holding the little guy with one hand. Minimal stirring required. Also, very awesome. the fit of the MW to its bowl is perfect, not too tight. But, the connection may have been part of the reason i broke the bowl. I cant really say this for sure, as i was really drunk but i think there may have been a little sticky glass thing going on if i remember correctly. Heat up time is much longer then advertised, an probably 30mins+ to get all the glass heated perfect, but overall, one of the easiest vapes on the market to use, hands down.

Durability:
The bowl is a bit too thin, as stated earlier. The wand itself, is made of glass. I would suggest to rest it in a glass mug or pitcher, and just be careful. One should be careful with "sticky parts" when pulling slides or removing the MW or bowl. Cord is thin, and should not be burned on unit. This could be a concern? How is everyone else sitting their heated unit down? Also, parts are hot, as can expected. wait for them to cool to not drop them.

Thickness of Vapor:
The MW is the Superior bong toker to the LSV, hands down. Less stirring slightly better taste, and a better heating element. Vapor to air ratio is slightly higher then the LSV. Now, the VHW is a bit trickier. Not nearly as easy to use as stated earlier, but i still feel the heat retention on the VHW is noticeably better. The VHW still has the thicker vapor when you pull extremely hard. The VHW has the better vapor to air ratio. The MW is liable to give you more hits that taste good and still will get you some huge clouds. More testing with my regular glass, and some side by side comparison to come once i get my other bowls from Hipi.

Appearance:
Overall a pretty slick looking vape. But, doesn't look as polished as the VHW, and for sure not as much as the LSV (but the LSV looks different when in wand mode). I would prefer a thicker more durable cord, similar to what the LSV and VHW use. Aside from looking better, and being of better quality, it doesn't really "curl up" which the thinner wire on the MW does.
Other suggestion, would be to somehow cover the two visible connection that are wrapped in electrical tape. That and the "extra length" on the wires should be covered up, IMO. It looks a little "cheap". Maybe a silicone handle that one could hold when the wand has been on for hours, that you cant see-through and would cover the connections. Neither of these things seem to effect performance in any way, but the silicone add-on could help during those long sessions.

Bowl design:
Very important aspect. overall, i like it. i am pretty medicated, lets see how i can explain this. Firstly, too thin of glass IMO, but overall me breaking it should have been a fluke. Its a glass bowl, dont drop it. My fault.
It gets hot, but this can be expected. Take care in waiting to remove glass. The bowl can fit a lot of herb, which i like.
The way the screen fits, is opposite of the LSV bowl in a way. The LSV bowl has a little ring/lip around the inside of the bowl, that the screen sits on. This works well and doesn't dislodge much during stirring (IMO opinion cause i read others who thought this was a problem with the LSV bowl). The problem is it restricts air flow through the bowl and worsens the center "hot spot" of the 7th floor heating element.
The MW bowls flares out, where the screen sits in that spot. Hard to explain but a perfectly cut and placed screen sits well even during string, but is a little more pain in the ass to cut perfectly, or take in or take out. This design does not restrict airflow, but has another pitfall. The outside ring on the MW bowl doesn't heat well, as it expands the vapor air path all of a sudden. Basically creates vapor dead spots, that do not heat nearly as much. This might also contribute to the higher vapor to air ration in the VHW.
I think the best bowl design would have like little "ice pinches" on the inside of the bowl for the screen to sit on that allowed air to pass in-between and didn't restrict airflow or expand the vapor path. Hope this makes sense. The pitfall to my design, would likely be a screen more likely to pop out. Another option would be a bowl more similar to the whip used on the IV, but a lot bigger.

Alright, this took way too long but hit me with some questions if i missed some stuff.

IAmKrazy2,

HiPi

C.Taylor
Manufacturer
Nice honest review IAmKrazy2. Your new bowls are on the way. The third prong is vestigial so you can do what you like with it as far as removal but warranty is dependent on the control unit not being opened. You shouldn't have any issue removing it from the outside though.

If you'd like to remove the bowl from the MW better, I'd say hold the little handle on the bowl and twist the MW while pulling it off.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
Overall I'd say not too bad a review for a vape that cost more than half the price of mostly all the vape wand packages on the market.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
Our glass is high quality and Lead-Free (some use lead glass). The durability of the bowl must be due to odd circumstances because we have dropped it on marble floor 3 times from the same height (standing 5 foot drop). So you must have dropped it some special way that made it break because we had nothing but great durability comments from the people who have seen this survive crazy drops. Same could be said about the IV. Either way we are sending you an emergency extra just in case you need more practice! :lol:

HiPi,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Yes, for sure the best value of the bunch. I could see this being my Go-To vape due to ease of use and taste. One handed is just tops. I would never replace or change the cord myself, just a visual observation. Cant wait for my new bowls, thanks.

About to go pack my third bowl in the IV, just getting used to it also. Have about a 40min drive ahead of me tonight, each direction. The IV is coming with.

IAmKrazy2,

HiPi

C.Taylor
Manufacturer
I'm a little upset no one has reviewed the Hookah abilities considering this is the best part!

43617670.JPG

IAmKrazy2 said:
Yes, for sure the best value of the bunch. I could see this being my Go-To vape due to ease of use and taste. One handed is just tops. I would never replace or change the cord myself, just a visual observation. Cant wait for my new bowls, thanks.

About to go pack my third bowl in the IV, just getting used to it also. Have about a 40min drive ahead of me tonight, each direction. The IV is coming with.

IV running ftw :ko:

HiPi,

MG23

Relaxin'
Hallelujah the screens have arrived.

Apparently I'm not very good at screen placement because i'm losing a lot. :/

MG23,

DrMephisto

EDIT: HiPi contacted me, and he's addressing my concerns. Mods, feel free to remove this.

DrMephisto,

abo27495

Does anyone have any suggested temp settings or tricks that they use with their MW? Mine should be coming soon.

abo27495,

MG23

Relaxin'
Having some serious fun with my wand on it's first day of "proper" use.
As I was unable to use the bowl it came with for the first couple of days due to lack of a screen I had fun putting the MW over a normal bong slide pack to vape. You have to hold the MW still over the bowl so there is no chance for 1 handed use, but the clouds were huge regardless.
I am amped to be able to use it the intended way now though. :D

MG23,
I use BOTH my glass on glass hookahs (Not shisha hookahs) with the MW actually, Hipi. The MW works excellent at this task and shows very little signs of excessive cooling with two people hitting it. The MW finally forced me to get around to installing the Simple-Glass-Tubes made diffused downstem I bought for the bigger of the two hookahs, and it hits great. Thanks Simpleglasstubes! I -mentioned- I needed a downstem in the future, and he just threw one in on my original order.

You guys who are hitting non-glass on glass bowls with the MW, are you getting enough of a seal to actually bring hot air through the material so you can vape it? I remember seeing someone do this in the original, wood-bodied MW with a test-tube type bubbler, but I haven't tried it.

Those who are complaining about hits which are less dense than you'd like, I recommend packing a bigger, more finely ground bowl. With low temps it's still very efficient even with a large bowl.

Abo, Hipi has built a "recommended temp" right into the vaporizer. This is going to be just fine for 90% of people. Some will want to crank it slightly down for guaranteed low temp clouds, some will want to turn it up for use with concentrates. Turn the dial to zip, then turn it up till the green light turns on, then go from there if you feel like it.

I still don't have the "stock" screens from Hipi, more through my fault than his; I actually have been using two 1 inch diameter, stainless steel, relatively flexible screens. Two, mind you, with one on top of the other, so that 90% of anything that wants to escape down the pipe gets caught between the two screens. Works well enough, but I admit a slight redesign to better hold the screens would be a good idea.

charliedontsurf,
Top Bottom