• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Long term effects from pesticides & chemicals in street weed?

Dopeboi

I live in south FL and Its hard for me to "know my grower" but the stuff I've been getting for years is really high grade & potent, never mids or regs. Since I dont live in a medical state I'm guessing most street weed even though its a high quality is still sprayed with all types of pesticides and chemicals.

Are you guys who buy street weed and don't know who grows it worried about the long term effects from the pesticides and chemicals? And do you think vaporizing even helps?
I couldn't find any info on chemicals in weed increasing cancer risk. I wish I knew this years ago, I would have moved or started growing.

Dopeboi,
Reactions: cawshook

vape4life

Banned for life
I do think about this from time to time...I purchase from various compassion clubs and have no idea who the growers are or what they use...it's a risk i'm willing to take. I actually think vaping might be worse for pesticides and chemicals because they don't "burn up"? Total guess and i'm probably wrong. But truth is, we really don't know what exactly could be on the buds, but if I feel good and don't get any reaction or bad smell/taste I usually think i'm safe. I've been at this game for years and don't have any negative effects other than withdrawl if I cease consumption.

vape4life,
Reactions: tuk

Greenscreen

I can only really acquire street weed and although I'm close to the grower and know the strains - I still can't be 100% sure if my weed is clean or not.
My one piece of advice would be - if its hard to hold in your lungs and makes u want to cough badly then it probably isn't as well flushed / clean as it should be.
I don't really have any sources to back this up - I'm just going by what I have seen / found.

Whenever I'm lucky enough to get something that has been grown for love / get hold of something that i don't think is contaminated, I often find that irrelevant of vape temperature it will be no where near as harsh on the lungs... In fact if i get something like this and cure it out in airtight jars then it only becomes smoother and easier on the lungs the longer i leave it.

So yeah from my experience if I have found if its harsh on the lungs and hard to inhale and absorb then it probably isn't great for you.

If its pleasant to vape and inhale then it was probably pleasantly grown!

Greenscreen,

StickyShisha2

there was a news story a few months ago about a silicone based additive for use in non-food plants.

StickyShisha2,

shephurd

I Am Watching The Stars
thats what you must expect when purchasing "off the street" someone grew it for profit, If you don't like the risk grow your own :myday:

shephurd,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations,

I'm starting to expect pre-vaped stuff to reach the street, in fact i think i've got a wake up call already.

:rolleyes:

That or chemicals, mold, whatever... It would be coherent, almost!

If the Canadian government could subside a monopolistic company just to offer medical clients some contaminated herb which needs to undergo nuclear irradiation then imagine the rest!.

The remedy seems clear to me.

:peace:

Egzoset

Banned
Euh...

More precisely, i was "genuinely worried" about the long term effects of pesticides & chemicals...

crazyface.jpg

...especially while looking at that face!!

:peace:

Egzoset,

Nosferatu

To answer your first question I would be very worried about the long term health effects of ingesting chemically grown or unknown/street weed. I do not think vaporizing it makes a difference if anything it brings out the bad flavors even more so I would suspect it possibly even delivers more of these toxins as it does the cannabinoids. But who knows.

I've got to say from what I have seen over the years MOST people are smoking or vaping weed that is either improperly dried/cured and/or contains powdery mildew, chemical pesticides, fertilizer residues, mold spores, excess chlorophyll, bug shit, and all sorts of other nasties. Things you can't see with the naked eye. Its very hard NOT to get powdery mildew growing in humid environments or near the coast, PM is ingrained in the fiber of the plant so even if its not noticeable in the final product you are still inhaling the spores. Most all street weed is going to have some by product by the time it gets to you. I'm sure many of you will say you get from dispensaries so your weed is perfectly clean. Wrong. Dispensaries buy from growers but they aren't magic fucking wizards, most of them are amateur growers or old farts stuck in their ways. Point is their product is no better than if you bought it from them directly, sure dispensaries inspect the weed so you know it doesn't have bugs or visible mold or anything, but they are businesses and need to stay in business too. Also the weed is sold as soon as its dried, you aren't getting cured weed from the clubs.

The answer is if you plan to continue using cannabis long term you simply will need to find a professional grower/dispensary you trust or learn to grow it yourself. Organic growing is the only way to go IMO, and growing in a controlled greenhouse is ideal, because the sun has UV rays that HPS bulbs don't, so most indoor grown herb is missing terpenes and certain cannabinoids, true story. Organic growing outdoors is very easy and anyone can do it, also very rewarding. Good luck trying to find a good source of herb, remember its not just you fighting this struggle, we have whole the whole federal government waging war on safe access to organic clean natural medicine.

cawshook

Solod out.
just got my supplier into vaping, and now we're both worried about this. i told him to look for organic weed.

Theoretically though, if you can get your hands on some shake, homemade hash would be a good idea in terms of getting rid of some of the pesticides/chemicals, no? I just thought about this, thanks to this thread.

cawshook,

grokit

well-worn member
Hash/concentrates sound like a good idea,
as long as the process of extraction itself is clean.

As far as the plant itself goes, go by what you would eat :uhh:
Non-organic nutrients are probably okay as long as they are flushed properly,
but definitely stay away from chemical pesticides & herbicides.

grokit,

cawshook

Solod out.
Hash/concentrates sound like a good idea,
as long as the process of extraction itself is clean.

As far as the plant itself goes, go by what you would eat :uhh:
Non-organic nutrients are probably okay as long as they are flushed properly,
but definitely stay away from chemical pesticides & herbicides.
Actually now that i think about it, if its grown organic its more likely to be sprayed.

cawshook,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I smoked joints fairly heavily for 40 years (1969-2009) and have been vapourizing since 2009. I didn't worry even through the Paraquat scare, and look how I turned out. Much better looking than @lwien for sure.

It's difficult for me not to chuckle when I see people getting their shorts in a knot over the possible contaminants in street weed. I've done extensive reading and research on cannabis for years and I have yet to encounter a case where it's been proven that someone has been affected by sprayed weed. Every so-called incident has turned out to be urban myth.

grokit

well-worn member
It's the bioaccumulative effects of certain toxins that potentially concern me. What I would like to see is vaporization temperatures of the most common persistent toxins used in agriculture/horticulture. PBTs are harmful because they never leave the body without active chelation. The illnesses caused by them (ie cancer, atherosclerosis) are from a cumulative reaction, not an acute one, so it is not obvious where the contaminants came from (diet, environment, etc.). It's a good thing to avoid them if at all possible.

Top Bottom