Log Style Vapes

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
It has been suggested that I make my own log style vaporizer.

I would not make a PD clone. That has already been done.

It would be totally unique with the following additional features:

Primary function is hand warmer / heat massage and not a vaporizer (ultimate stealth)

Adjustable temperature with 0-15 volt power supply (normally run at 12 volts but safe at 15 for a short time)

No exposed wood in the airstream (all stainless steel lined)

No contact of the resistor or leads with the wood (no burned wood smell)

No solder joint in the airstream (only resistor leads)

Easily replaceable resistor (threads in)

Screen down in the heat tube (protect resistor from debris)

Ability to open for cleaning

No clips needed (heat sink or heat tube)

Wood that does not allow the heat sink to loosen (no charring)

3/8" diameter mouth tube (food grade poly or glass) feels more like cigarette (great for small hands)

5/16" roasting tube can be used on other log units (except MZ) and vice versa

Roasting tube can extend down into the heat sink (no extension piece or tension rod)

Would there be an interest in something like this?

Are there any other features you would like to see?

Alan,
Reactions: ogcook

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I don't understand the handwarmer thing. If it's a log vape, then it's plugged in all the time. So why would someone need a handwarmer indoors? Maybe I'm missing something.

Stu,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
What is in your wall transformer?

If you think it is always 12 volts for a 12 volt transformer, you may not be correct. It may depend upon the voltage at the outlet. If the transformer steps down 10 times and the wall outlet is only 110 volts, you are only getting 11 volts. The voltage applied to the resistor of a log style vaporizer has a relationship to the temperature of the vaporizer.

I have a 14 volt transformer that only puts out 12 volts. I also have a 15 volt transformer that puts out 20 volts.

It is difficult to say for certain what the temperature of a log style vape will be unless you know what voltage you are applying.

My 0-15 volt variable DC power supply arrived today. Made up a special 10 foot long cord and plugged it into my unit. I cranked the voltage up all the way to 15. My unit got slightly warmer to the touch. The ABV was a bit darker but not extremely dark. I prefer 12 to 13 better. Not as warm to the touch at 10 volts. Should save some money by turning it down when not being used. Very happy with the purchase. I am using the exact same resistor as the other log style vaporizers so there should be no reason to expect different results for those units. Anyone choosing to try this on another log style vaporizer should understand they may void their warranty.

Also discovered you can power multiple units from the same power supply by using stacking banana plugs. 3 possibly 4 units depending upon the voltage. Will be great for parties. Everyone can have their own unit.

Alan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
So why would someone need a handwarmer indoors?

I know a lot of women and older people that always have cold hands even in the summer time. It would be normally plugged in all the time. Can be used as a hand warmer in the car too.

The point is that it has a function (other than vaping) if someone asks.

Alan,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Are you asking this question because you are looking to bring something to the vape market? Or is this just a project similar to Hippie D's cylinder/cube (based on what YOU want in a vape) and maybe something to share with friends?

AGBeer,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Give the women and old folks some good vapor :brow:
That'll make 'em forget about cold hands!

Stu,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Are you asking this question because you are looking to bring something to the vape market?

It is a project at the moment. I might be inclined to produce them if there is an interest.

Alan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
An all glass airpath would be cool.

I would love to have that too. Just need to figure out how to get it to survive an impact that stainless steel would be capable of handling.

I want it to be something that will last for 30 years (will need a little TLC if you want a little THC).

Alan,

Nycdeisel

haha lots of requests now. Im all for an all glass vapor path and one that is visible^! let me know when it hits the market and I will check it out.

Nycdeisel,

Vamp

How about something that has a little shorter lead time that 4-6 weeks. And doesn't require me to be a rocket scientist to assemble. Something with less and less complex parts. There's nothing worse than being vaked and trying to figure out how to fix a broken vaporizer.

Vamp,
I have looked through FC (upto a point) and still can't understand how you have 3 different log vapes, which look exactly the same, and there is no copyright infringement.

Am I right in thinking that the 3 guys worked on one vaporiser years ago. They then agreed to go their seperate ways and produce the PD, MZ and WZ seperately.
They all share ownership of the patents on the log vapes, which is why they aren't suing each other for copyright infringement?

Also, in my view, I think the PD is the best model. It has a more sophisticated heat exchange, no LED (which can fail), and is ROISS compliant.
The device is also hand-made by the inventor and has a limited supply. Surely it will become a collectors item in the future.

IMO, Volcano is banking the most money.
7th Floor (SSV, DBV, LSV) are getting steady profits by diversifying on one model (coloured glass? take my money now, please).
But the rapper of the month has got to be MFLB. Pure, simple, low cost, genius.

Any vape which improves on the MFLB has got to be the next success story.

Vapemania-original,

lwien

Vapemania said:
Am I right in thinking that the 3 guys worked on one vaporiser years ago. They then agreed to go their seperate ways and produce the PD, MZ and WZ seperately.

Nope, you're not right.

Vapemania said:
Also, in my view, I think the PD is the best model. It has a more sophisticated heat exchange, no LED (which can fail), and is ROISS compliant.
The device is also hand-made by the inventor and has a limited supply. Surely it will become a collectors item in the future.

All three vapes are RoHS compliant, and all three vapes are hand made. While arguments can be made on why one would chose one over the other, being hand made and RoHS compliancies are not them.

Vapemania said:
IMO, Volcano is banking the most money.

When one factors in all of the costs in manufacturing and marketing the 'Cano, you may not be correct in your assumption. Just because a vape is expensive doesn't automatically make it the most profitable.

Vapemania said:
7th Floor (SSV, DBV, LSV) are getting steady profits by diversifying on one model (coloured glass? take my money now, please).

Um..............so you believe that 7th Floors success lies in marketing their colored glass?

lwien,
I'm not going to lock horns with the grande dame of FC. I know my place.

I thought MZ were making their vape with brass parts until it was found PD had no brass parts and was RoHS compliant.
MZ then made the necessary changes to incorporate steel parts.
Also, I thought the WZ owner wasn't aware if he needed to be RoHS compliant for overseas distribution?

I'm new to all this though, so apologise for my ignorance.

I'm surprised why none of the log vapes are factory made. Surely it would be cheaper to manufacture that way. Although I don't know how many are produced each year.

Given Volcano produced their vape in the 90s, immediately took over the vape market, has bought a dedicated factory of workers with smiling faces, I thought they may have made a few cents over the years.

Vapemania-original,

max

Out to lunch
Stu said:
If it's a log vape, then it's plugged in all the time.
That's a big logic jump. Many people use a timer or just plug the vape in the required 30-45 min. before use.

Vapemania said:
3 different log vapes, which look exactly the same, and there is no copyright infringement.
The original design was the Eterra- http://www.lightwell.net/. And I believe there was a patent, but it was late '70's, and they usually expire in about 20 yrs. There are a lot of different 'box vapes' that look alike too, way more than the log type.

Nope. The Aromazap was produced first, then the PD. The zap was made of soft wood for years, and was rectangular in shape. The PD was first with the current shaped hard wood design. The zap uses brass internally-the PD stainless steel. The WDZ is pretty much copied from the PD, with slight internal differences, I believe. These days all three have similar performance characteristics.

Any vape which improves on the MFLB has got to be the next success story.
You can only improve so much without getting into a different design. The company most likely to improve on the LB is Magic Flight. ;)

max,

lwien

Vapemania said:
I'm not going to lock horns with the grande dame of FC. I know my place.

I thought MZ were making their vape with brass parts until it was found PD had no brass parts and was RoHS compliant.
MZ then made the necessary changes to incorporate steel parts.
Also, I thought the WZ owner wasn't aware if he needed to be RoHS compliant for overseas distribution?

I'm new to all this though, so apologise for my ignorance.

I'm surprised why none of the log vapes are factory made. Surely it would be cheaper to manufacture that way. Although I don't know how many are produced each year.

Given Volcano produced their vape in the 90s, immediately took over the vape market, has bought a dedicated factory of workers with smiling faces, I thought they may have made a few cents over the years.

Achh, comon'. Lock horns with me.

Ya really do need to spend some time here and read up on the vapes that you are talking about so that you can make some valid statements. If you don't want to do that, then you may want to hold off for a bit till you get a bit more info under your belt.

Rick at MZ did NOT make their changes because they found out the PD was made from stainless steel and was RoHS compliant. He always knew that.

Secondly, MZ did NOT incorporate steel parts. It's still made from brass..........just a different kind of brass.

Regarding these types of vapes being factory made, one of the MAIN selling points of these vapes is that they are NOT factory made.

And yeah, S&B is making profits with their Volcano, but again, that doesn't mean that they are the generating the highest profit margins as you are suggesting.

And finally, I am not a dame, let alone a grande dame. :cool:

Now, let's start getting some things right here, shall we?

lwien,
So the log vapes are similar in efficiency? Thats good to know as being overseas I can only get WZ. Need to wait a bit first though, as I've just got the MFLB.
And I envy those who have the PD. Best one in my mind.

I get the feeling making the holy grail of vapes is possible.
But its a risky venture as the Bud Toaster thread seems to indicate.

Lwien, will certainly need to find out more on the vape world. FC is a good place to start.
Since vaporisers are not the same as mobile phones, lighters, or even guns, due to its MJ association; I suppose we'll have to make do with one-person inventors rather than large companies making the perfect vaporiser.

Vapemania-original,

lwien

Vapemania said:
Since vaporisers are not the same as mobile phones, lighters, or even guns, due to its MJ association; I suppose we'll have to make do with one-person inventors rather than large companies making the perfect vaporiser.

So I have a question. Is there a perfect mobile phone, a perfect lighter or a perfect gun?

It's impossible to make something perfect for everyone regardless if it's made by one person or made by a large company.

lwien,
Thats a good point. You could say is there a perfect woman?

Apart from my mum, I can hardly say...
Oh, hang on, Linda Carter looked alright in that corset.
Wonder if she vaped.

So you can't have a vaporiser which is the 'Cano, SSV, PD and MFLB all rolled into one?
Thats a pity, but some say people have walked on the moon!

Also, what about the HA? It can diffuse, vape, direct draw, bag draw, parties, thick hits.
How come the vape isn't as popular on FC as the MFLB or log vapes?

Vapemania-original,

lwien

Vapemania said:
Also, what about the HA? It can diffuse, vape, direct draw, bag draw, parties, thick hits.
How come the vape isn't as popular on FC as the MFLB or log vapes?

Because many here want a vape that excels in certain area's above all others. The HA could be thought of as a jack of all trades but a master at none with the exception being the efficiency in bag mode.

Vapes such as the PD excels in efficiency, ease of use, ease of maintenance and reliability due to no moving parts. The HA can't compete in these regards.

The LaunchBox excels as a portable. The HA can't compete in that regard.

lwien,
If TV made a slimline, see-through log type vape which was portable and also used a PA, then I think he'd be onto a winner.

Vapemania-original,
Top Bottom