Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

Tetrahydro Bro

Stoned Kiwi
Hey @Bravesst how’s the gnarly walnut looking? I’m very interested in this vaporizer, absolutely love the look of it, I’m a huge fan of gnarly grainy wood especially darker woods like walnut, I’m thinking a batch 7 gnarly walnut will be the one for me :D

Zabou

Yesterday i had a trip to a town near me, about 65km away. When i used to make trips like this, i used to pre load some arizer stems and hit about 2-3 of them till i arrive. This time i loaded my awesome wooden stem and that one lasted for the whole trip, without even stirring. The ability to take a toke whenever u want without spending the rest of load is magic ! Thats the magic of on demand convection vapin, the magic of LB !!

RushVaporTrails

The ability to take a toke whenever u want without spending the rest of load is magic ! Thats the magic of on demand convection vapin, the magic of LB !!

@Zabou, wow you are getting me so jacked up to receive my batch 6 LB.

Maybe someone can answer this question.

Why do people buy vaporizers that rely only on conduction so your material can sit there between hits and waste away?

I am a big fan of the Vapacap and there is conduction going on, but you suck out the vapor as its produced and then it cools down to where no vapor is coming so you know its time to reheat. (and all the clicking going on as well obviously)

but with battery powered conduction vapes, which i haven't owned (only owned hybrids CFX and Fury 2), it would seem you would have to rush through a session so that you don't waste in between hits.

I like what @beyond6strings said. He would sit at his computer getting some things done and just takes a "sip" every now and then.

But as @P.A.M. displayed, the LB is capable of massive clouds that can blow you away.

Kinda makes the LB the best of both worlds.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@RushVaporTrails
This is what led me to portable, on demand, convection. I took everything I loved about convection and tried to make it better. There is literally zero conduction from wood to herb. The second you release that button, it's cool. At this point I couldn't really go back to a session vape. I do most of my vaping on my computer, watching TV, reading. I sip away any time I want, set it down for as long as I want. Occasionally, I'm in a rush, and I'll blow through a stem, stirring to speed things up, but normally I can sip on one well packed stem for quite a while.

@Tetrahydro Bro
Gnarly walnut looks good, I've got enough stock for two more units.

We just broke 1000 replies on the LB thread!!!

RushVaporTrails

This is what led me to portable, on demand, convection.

Absolutely,

I guess I am wondering if someone who really likes their PAX or IQ or similar could tel me why they like them. I don't see any advanage with those, maybe I am not educated in all areas of the vapor world but when I started I was only introduced to the Volcano and that's all I used for about two years.

When I started learning about portable battery vapes (i learned about these way before butane vapes like vapcap) and found out that the oven just stays on and the walls of the oven are cooking herb the whole time, well, I just couldn't get over that part of it, especially learning all about convection.

Not sure about the rest of you, but for me, there are only two things that I really care about when it comes to vaping.

1. Does the device and the vapor it produces get me high?
2. Does this device use the material as efficiently as possible so I can get the most out of that precious flower.

One of the reasons I am really digging the @DDave glass wand for vapcap. Gets me super duper blasted and does it oh so efficiently.

Without a LB yet, I can't compare yet and they will be different experiences as the glass wand is thru water.

Probably have to do MANY tests to see which one I like better.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Absolutely,

I guess I am wondering if someone who really likes their PAX or IQ or similar could tel me why they like them. I don't see any advanage with those, maybe I am not educated in all areas of the vapor world but when I started I was only introduced to the Volcano and that's all I used for about two years.

When I started learning about portable battery vapes (i learned about these way before butane vapes like vapcap) and found out that the oven just stays on and the walls of the oven are cooking herb the whole time, well, I just couldn't get over that part of it, especially learning all about convection.

Not sure about the rest of you, but for me, there are only two things that I really care about when it comes to vaping.

1. Does the device and the vapor it produces get me high?
2. Does this device use the material as efficiently as possible so I can get the most out of that precious flower.

One of the reasons I am really digging the @DDave glass wand for vapcap. Gets me super duper blasted and does it oh so efficiently.

Without a LB yet, I can't compare yet and they will be different experiences as the glass wand is thru water.

Probably have to do MANY tests to see which one I like better.

First, using white text is not a good idea since many people (me included) use a white background.

Second, this is not the place to discuss convection vs conduction. This is, in fact, hotly debated and we have threads on the subject. Please investigate those. Similarly, it is inappropriate to invite people to post about why they like their conduction vape in the LB thread. This is where people explain why they like the LB. The other devices have their own threads, please ask your question there.

Thanks for you cooperation.

RushVaporTrails

First, using white text is not a good idea since many people (me included) use a white background.

whoops, had no idea. Will leave as is for future posts.

Second, this is not the place to discuss convection vs conduction. This is, in fact, hotly debated and we have threads on the subject. Please investigate those. Similarly, it is inappropriate to invite people to post about why they like their conduction vape in the LB thread. This is where people explain why they like the LB. The other devices have their own threads, please ask your question there.

another whoops...yeah I wasn't thinking big picture asking about topics that have lots of threads in other parts of FC.

my intentions were focused on LB as just about all my posts are so far but I started steering off the LB highway.

I will keep it to LB discussions in this thread and I probably won't be venturing elsewhere to get into debates about methods of heating as those debates go on and on so sorry I mixed it in here.

malsanti

@Zabou, wow you are getting me so jacked up to receive my batch 6 LB.

Maybe someone can answer this question.

Why do people buy vaporizers that rely only on conduction so your material can sit there between hits and waste away?

I am a big fan of the Vapacap and there is conduction going on, but you suck out the vapor as its produced and then it cools down to where no vapor is coming so you know its time to reheat. (and all the clicking going on as well obviously)

but with battery powered conduction vapes, which i haven't owned (only owned hybrids CFX and Fury 2), it would seem you would have to rush through a session so that you don't waste in between hits.

I like what @beyond6strings said. He would sit at his computer getting some things done and just takes a "sip" every now and then.

But as @P.A.M. displayed, the LB is capable of massive clouds that can blow you away.

Kinda makes the LB the best of both worlds.

With conduction, like a mighty or crafty, only found you need to take the first toke. After that its essentially on demand.

The vaporizer creates the heat rather than your breathe, but it only cooks the bud touching the metal parts. The rest remain untouched.

I can take a hit, and the rest of the bowls flavor is actually damned good. Better than convection vaporisers like the Evo, whose flavor after the first hit or two is definitely worse.

Honestly, I never understood why something like the crafty isn't considered on demand. Yes, if you heat it up, you need to take at least one hit otherwise you will lose flavour. Also find conduction vapour with crafty or might to be better quality than convection, smoother.

malsanti,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Gloomy rainy day here on Long Island. I'm mid - mortise right now. Nice to get back in the wood shop for a while. Next it will switch box and holes drilled. Once I'm back inside this batch should fly due to the coils already being built. Working with some precious woods, so there is no rushing this process.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Happy Memorial Day!
This, the kick off of the Summer season will be an exciting time for Vapwood. In addition to the success of Lil' Bud, with over 50 units making people happy (maybe at this very moment), and more on the way. Here's a preview of what's coming up.

Exotic hardwoods have been introduced into the Lil' Bud line of vapes. On a limited basis, you can now have your LB handcrafted from Quilted Maple - normally used for guitars, as well as some crazy grained Gnarly Walnut, a rare find.

Next up - Timber. The design has put put down on paper by the master himself, @Alan. It's long, it's lean, and it's going into production within the next few weeks. Using the same coil heater technology, in a stacked configuration, Timber should stand out in a crowd.

Custom wood mouthpieces If you can conceive it, we can make it. Just add a note with your order and we'll do our best to accommodate. Double tapers, long, short, and much much more.

The evolution of Vapwood has been rapid due to my association with the inventor of the Insta Heat (IH) and the Heat Island (IH), and the creator of all mouthpieces sold with Lil' Bud. The design has always been rock solid, and now it's been perfected and tweaked with each unit built. Anyone who's been following our thread knows I'm not one to sit idle. Improvements, improvements, improvements is what Vapwood is all about, creating the best possible on demand convection vaporizer. Our motto, Full Steam Ahead, says it all.

On demand, unregulated convection is definitely not for everyone. But for those lucky few who dare harness its raw power and explore its potential, we welcome you to the Vapwood family.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Finally, back in the shop most of the day. I've learned a bit about exotic wood and small parts, not so easy. I had 2 tear outs that cost me units. Typically, what makes hardwoods so beautiful also makes them hard to work with. In this case I'm hunting down gnarly (the very definition of hard to work with) walnut, so it's bound to happen. This stuff has been kicking my ass all day. Quilted Maple is a different animal, but with its unpredictable grain patterns, there is marked tendency for raised, rough spots that respond well to planing, not so much sanding.

I did plan ahead, thinking some tear out might happen, but still hoping all units would survive with some left over for batch 7. Not gonna happen, as I'm going to use all units for batch 6. The dreaded tear out happened during a routine routing process. I did everything possible to prevent it, but sometimes even that isn't enough with crazy grained wood.

I did get lots done, a dozen or so bodies cut, mortised, battery door slot cut, switch box cut out cut, primary hole drilled. I'm amazed I got that much done in a half day (company left about noon). A couple of more days in the wood shop, and dare I say it, it's back inside to start assembling, as coils are already formed for this batch.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Happy Memorial Day to my southern neighbors , wish you all had a great day!
I didn't get to take more accentuated photos of my battery gauge yet , been a busy weekend and then some .

I have been using the battery gauge quite often! Wayyy easier to use rather then checking with a voltage metre where I need to hold a wire in each hand to each terminal for a reading or no need to pull the battery out to get reading on the charger . Simply take the battery cover off , hold the battery gauge in lieu and voilà, done like dinner !

The reading is the same as my voltage metre and 0.03 different then my charger Therefor a full charge (4.20 on charger ) is 4.17 on both my battery gauge and voltage metre. (charger doing its job and cutting off ideally a few decimals prior 4.20 even if indicating 4.20 is what I assume )

It's so practical & accurate, awesome creation @Bravesst ! You really did great work on it , I love it and am still baffled on how you managed to make it All Wood ! Just like the Lil' Bud , there's a lot of work in that battery gauge for its price . All handcrafted! It's a really cool accessory to add to your Lil' Bud .

Here's a pic of Walleye and my battery gauge . It's color shades from dark to light in certain sunlight (this pic here prior posted) ressemble the colors of a walleye fish , black to gold to white shades . it arrived during opening week too !!

Wall Eye guess I'll go vape another sesh now ! :lmao:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
@P.A.M takes the best pics / videos. Maybe it's a Canada thing, but love the rustic shots. The gauge is kinda cool for what it is, and it keeps all that stuff out of the LB. Everything from the safety tab to the battery gauge is about keeping LB electronics free! Battery / switch / heater - period.

Slickwilly

Time to share my opinion on the Lil Bud as a first time full convection vaporizer user. Heck my first review on a vaporizer so be nice. :)

I have only been using vaporizers now for the last 3 months, so take it as you will. I have been a burner for over 30 years and know what it takes to get myself right. My tolerance has always been higher than the norm.
Well after receiving my LB last week I can say it does me right!:rockon:

Whoever gets a LB please take the time with it before you indulge and feel it in your hands all the work that was put into it. It has to be satisfying for Mike, I know it was for me:tup:

I upgraded to the total package, wanted the battery gauge and an extra stem or 2 so why not?
0hymAWBl.jpg

I watched @Bravesst video and @P.A.M. videos to give me some direction before diving in.:nod:

So after fondling my LB I packed a puck up. I did a test draw and there was like no resistance, which is also new to me with vaping. First draw was to fast, had good taste not much vapor. On the second draw I just ever so slightly sipped it, felt the heat build then released the button and finished my draw. Wow what a difference that made.:o
The way this things makes heat is crazy. As soon as the button is pressed you can feel it build up and then when you release the button and draw, its like a fire ball (should I say that?) that hits the load. The amount of heat it makes is not at all unbearable either its all in your control.

I have played now for close to a week on what is working best for me. Once I mastered my technique its been all nice vapor and flavor throughout the stem.
I agree with @Bravesst dome screens work better then any other. Here's why I think? You get better heat transfer around the screen up against the stem. The dome comes to more of a rounded point and the top hats are more square on bottom and sides which use loose the screen surface, that is tight up against the stem. I tried the top hats and never could get full extraction without stirring? The heat would penetrate the least resistance path, leaving outer edge still green. I even noticed this with too packed of a screen, but it still can extract it just have to stir.

I press my dome screens in just enough so you can run finger around stem and not feel it. Sip the stem over herb then tamp it, there is a little screen you still see. I then hold stem to any light, screen towards light, close one eye and look in it for an eclipse around the screen. :mental: That way I know the heat will surround the load for sure.

If in a pinch and need to clean a real dirty screen push out and turn it around push screen back in stem so bottom of screen is even with end of stem towards coil, then extract in LB. Clean screen and freebie :p

Played with the 3 vent holes only to find I like them all open :shrug: I think @Bravesst made this batch 4 &5 with slightly larger holes? Care to explain why if they are larger? I find them all open makes the draw cool quicker. I only used the one hole above the button a few times when herb wasn't quit dry enough, seemed to keep the heat in stem longer, doesn't cool off as fast during draw.

The button is the only thing that doesn't quit fit the LB. A wood button possible? When you grab the LB its smooth with rounded edges until your finger touches the rough sticky surface and sharper edge of the button. I know its stupid but just my opinion. I guess I'm one of those touchy feely guys :rolleyes:

The button itself is aluminum so I had to try some Mothers Billet Polish on it. First I covered the chrome ring and wood with painters tape to be sure and not to get polish on wood or along side of button. Then took Q-tip with the tiniest amount of polish on it and lightly buffed edge and top with it until it turned gray, then buffed with clean Q-tip. I did it I think 4 times and now my button is a smooth as the LB's bottom. ;)

Here is my LB to go package. The padded battery holder is from liionwholesale.com and got the smell proof bag off eBay. Took @Bravesst pick tool and added a brush and herb sipper to it. :brow:
iuKyDP5l.jpg

LB hanging with one of his sappy buds :rofl:
LJLixrPl.jpg

My wife thought this one was pretty :D
22lqy0Dl.jpg

This wonderful piece of mother nature has made me more aware of how good herb should taste, that's the true convection and all wood design! All in all I am very satisfied with my purchase and can hardly wait to yell TIMBER!

You should be very proud @Bravesst of all your hard work and dedication, it is very well appreciated! :clap:

Last edited:

Slickwilly

@Slickwilly
Thanks my friend, it's been a long day and I really needed that. Makes it all worth while. Damn, @Alan was correct once again, making people happy is really awesome.
Again, thank you for the kind words, and I am super happy you are getting so much out of Lil' Bud.
The pleasure has all been mine, keep up the great work!:cheers:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Just picked up a thick slab of some highly figured (another word for gnarly) Black Walnut. I can see Walnut as being very popular in the future. I'm pretty stocked, at least for the next batch or two.

Today will be a productive day in the wood shop, pairing bodies to switch boxes, one of the last critical woodworking tasks before heading back inside for pre-assembly. I have to come clean, I've cheated by purchasing an oscillating spindle sander. This should ease hand sanding work (as well as hand strain), and once again, speed things up considerably. It arrives in time to finish off this batch.

Top Bottom