Discontinued Lil' Bud by Vapwood

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Wtf, PAM, what did you do?
That post on instagram looks really nasty, hope you did something at least as nasty to deserve it :lol:

Btw, its not going to do any good to that egomaniac bully brand that posted it

Last edited:

Andreaerdna

Sorry, me making a joke out of first post was silly, not only it is not stopping but that bully brand is escalating violence, already incitating his fans with the « fuck you » word in a new post.

All solidarity @P.A.M. / fuck bullies

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Wtf, PAM, what did you do?
That post on instagram looks really nasty, hope you did something at least as nasty to deserve it :lol:

Btw, its not going to do any good to that egomaniac bully brand that posted it

I have no idea @Andreaerdna , no need to apologize, I knew you weren't being serious. oh really , there's more? Thanks for the heads up ..

P.A.M.,
Reactions: Bravesst

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Great day in the shop. Bodies / switch boxes cut. I've earned the right to go back inside, sit at my electronic / assembly workbench, and pre-assemble everything. This is one interesting batch to work with, as I've got four different woods, with very different challenges. Here they are making the trip inside, ready for pre-assembly.

Lots to be happy about - let's focus on the fact that these LB's will be traveling all around the world to make some lucky people very, very, happy.
GjpZtNu.jpg

Last edited:

ZC

So I use different vapes in different scenarios. Insta-Heat at home, Zi for camping, and it used to be grasshopper or mi for on-the-go, movies and such, but now it's pretty much just the lil bud on the go.

Small and light, fairly stealthy and silent. No glass to break. Combined with my super short wooden stem from Alan, and it's the perfect pocket vape for me.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Well , took a hike to go medit-cate by the shore this evening , thought I'd snap a few pics . @Slickwilly ,I really
enjoyed reading your post and seeing your pics , great shots ! And neat kit ! Congratulations on your new LB , if i haven't mentioned already , that is a gorgeous LB!

Here's a couple pics of Walleye hanging by the shore ! one is blurry i know , the focus on water show it's a long swim to get me ! Will share my thoughts on the LB soon!

pQQyeD0.jpg

SwRk1b8.jpg

Andreaerdna

@P.A.M. You live in a wonderfull place

To end the shitty drama story: the bully aknowlodge that the real reason why he stopped shipping international was lost packages @ customs and exchange rates (too lazy to publish screenshot and copy/paste do not work).. as you suspected you were used as a simple scapegoat for his personal failure.

I would ask IG to remove and punish this kind of bashing/ cyber bullying (unfortunately I am not on IG otherwise I would support you in this)

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
@P.A.M. You live in a wonderfull place

To end the shitty drama story: the bully aknowlodge that the real reason why he stopped shipping international was lost packages @ customs and exchange rates (too lazy to publish screenshot and copy/paste do not work).. as you suspected you were used as a simple scapegoat for his personal failure.

I would ask IG to remove and punish this kind of bashing/ cyber bullying (unfortunately I am not on IG otherwise I would support you in this)

As I've posted elsewhere, this asinine behaviour by all concerned resulting from something that happened in some other forum should never have been dragged back to FC. Further discussion of this topic is not appropriate.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Batch 6 Progress Report
Had to haul up to the Bronx today to teach a few classes, but got in my wood shop by 2 PM. I spent two hours assembling, and got half done. WTF - that's like a magical amount of time. Shit is just fitting together nicely.

Pretty soon all will be assembled and ready for my new toy - an oscillating spindle sander. It's not a top of the line model, but for this project I don't need a heavy duty sander, quite the contrary, it's all about light sanding. I'm not sure how prodbuctive it will be, never used one before, but I'm hoping it accomplished 3 things.
  • 1. Speed up the finishing process, which can eat up lots of time with a big batch
  • 2. Reduce hand strain, effort, while maintaining set standards
  • 3. Allow me to achieve new heights cosmetically, ergonomically, and maybe even functionally
Maybe I'm asking a lot from a little machine, so we'll see, but I do have high hopes, will report back in a day or two. Only critical task left (when I say critical, I mean something that potentially could go wrong even if everything is done properly) is drilling the holes for back plate magnets. Assembly, while difficult, can be done and redone as many times as is necessary, but wood is forever.

The little beauties are really starting to take shape, this is a great part of the process, and where I can begin to take a breath about how things will turn out. Ironically, it always turns out better than I think. :doh:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Oscillating drum sander definitely worth the purchase, but still lots of sanding to do by hand. This gnarly walnut is like working with stone, it's rock hard. The quilted maple is much softer, but still tears. Neither is as workable as regular walnut or cherry. Any hand tool work is a challenge, definitely slowing down the process. There is no way around this with some exotic woods.

Got the entire batch to a pretty nice place, switch boxes attached and paired to the bodies, as well a, most of the rough sanding done. All units got planed, with a pass on the oscillating drum sander, then 220 grit sand paper on all surfaces by hand, including rounding top and bottom edges.

Up next, more faring up (must making sure all surfaces are as close to perfect as possible) of all surfaces, finish sanding down to 600 grit. Then it's hot beeswax, magnets, vent holes, before I dissasemble and get ready to install electronics.

DirtyD

Starting to notice the darkening "patina " thing happening to my all cherry lil bud. Sorry, no pics. Trust me it's darkening a bit at a time. Only used a little mct coconut oil rubbed on ,buffed off just once so far as wood care. Will get some beeswax. At some point. What a cool vape. Loving this thing more and more. Once you master this vape, you can easily, specifically customize your experience each hit. Without hooking it up to firmware on your phone. .. Cheers to all. D

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Prooooooductive day!

All holes drilled, - vent, magnet, all good, gnarly walnut behaved. Finish and assembly is right around the corner. I still need to make all back plates, and a few battery gauges, which reminds me, gotta order some Samsung 30Q's.

Last edited:

Zak McKracken

I got my all-walnut Lil'Bud today ! When I picked it up from the post office I was surprised from the minimal weight,I thought those guys at customs sneaked it for themselves :D

I opened the package and was pleasantly surprised by the volume of the device,it is small!It weighs almost nothing,so its weight is pretty much the battery's weight.

The craftsmanship is fantastic,it is so pretty and the design is lovely.

I think I got about 3 or 4 stems with the first battery ,but I was experimenting and I usually milk everything I can from a bowl.I have no experience of other 18650 devices so I thought something was wrong when I felt the heat but couldn't get vapor.The problem was solved with a new battery.

I found the easiest way to create denser vapor without feeling a lot of heat was to pull a bit and exhale from the nose,until I saw vapor forming,I knew the next draw would be a good one.Kinda like lighting a cigar,fake pulls ...I hope this makes at least a little sense :lol:

The flavor and feeling from the heat reminded me a bit of the sticky brick junior.I liked the effects a lot,even in the beggining that I got mostly wispy vapor I still felt really buzzed.

All these are just first impressions ,I barely know what this little guy can do,but I like it already.Especially the on demand concept is great(another thing in common with the sticky brick).The analog feeling also rules,you forget you use something battery -powered(hence my problems :rolleyes: )

I will report back after experimenting more . There's no doubt that @Bravesst has done a beautiful job here. Well done sir! :clap:
bRfQVnw

bRfQVnw

bRfQVnw.jpg

-Edit
Wow,a new battery really makes a difference , whole different thing,a lot easier!Also denser clouds.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
More good news from LB owners every day. Makes me real happy.

Now let me tell you what hasn't made me happy. Quilted Maple. It's not easy to work, at all. The figured walnut is tame in comparison in that while it's tough, heavy, and unyielding, it is strong stuff. The quilted is sure pretty, but light, wafey, almost powdery in certain spots. I had a feeling. I started with an extra, now it bit the dust on one little vent hole that went south. I am going to have to decide whether to continue to make Quilted Maple Lil' Buds after I run out of this stock. I'd have to charge more to make up for the difficulty, and inevitable *weak spot*, and need to include insurance units, even in a small batch.

The walnut is proving to be pretty cool. Gotta do things a little different, but it is so freaking heavy duty once formed. I like it. Things take longer, an there will be an occasional mishap, but it is some dense wood. Regular walnut is not nearly as dense.

And Cherry is just awesome, all the time, always consistent, just heavy enough, hard, yet somehow soft at the same time. I want to expand to different woods, been looking around. Not so easy to get stock for the size I need in many rarer woods. Thickness is the problem, as LB is about 1 1/8, so I need five or six quarter or more, and turning blanks are usually 2 inch squares or less, and LB over 2 inches wide.

I'd like to find another dense, no super difficult to work with, comes in the size I need, American hardwood.

RushVaporTrails

@Bravesst, should I have any concerns about the quilted maple LB you are making for me.

As much as I am happy to be receiving a quilted maple, the most important aspect of the device is it's performance and long term usability.

so based on what you described working with this wood, wondering your thoughts regarding long term usage of a quilted maple LB, thanks. ..

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Sorry to hear about the quilted maple LB’s Mike. Hope you get a few good units from it. Making tubes from quilted maple can be challenging too. It does take more time to work with fancy woods and there is always the chance of accidents or finding inclusions in the wood, so you do need to charge a bit more. Keep up the great work.

Here is a photo of my Lil’ Bud with a blood wood 18x14 adapter tube.

bloodwoodtubelb.jpg

The seam running with the grain is almost invisible and the grain lines up so well. Nice job Mike. The craftsmanship is just incredible. The performance is even better. I’m still using mine every day and only need to change my two year old batteries once a day. I wonder how long it would last using newer batteries with higher capacity.

I want to share the history of how Lil’ Bud came to be. It was after reading the following post that I started to think about how Mike could make a unit that would complete the challenge.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/hand-crafted-custom-rbt-milaana.25538/#post-1182095

I sat down with a blank piece of paper and sketched out the concept of LB. I sent the sketch to Mike so that he could work out all the details of the design and suggested some tools/parts. It works just as I had anticipated and is based on the spiral coil heater that I created for the Insta Heat as it is free standing and does not require glass to prevent it from contacting the wood body. Here is a link to the story about how the Insta Heat was created.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/insta-heat-aka-iheat.24839/#post-1140793

I was never (and never have been) privilege to any of the details of the RBT provisional patent, so the spiral shape did not originate from there. The idea came from hearing about the spiral shaped heater for the Nomad and thinking about a car cigarette lighter. The key to the coil shape is that it must be formed just right to prevent it from shorting out on itself. The rigid support wires allows the coil to always maintain its shape so it won’t short or contact the wood. The wooden disk allows the spiral coil to be precisely mounted into the wooden body and removed for any needed repairs. The switch box attaches to the body with screws, so there is no need for any glue and it comes apart easily for any needed repairs. The battery cover allows for such an easy battery changeout.

Here is a photo of a spiral coil mounted on a 510 fitting for an iHeat cartridge.

spiralcoilheater.jpg

The air passes between the coils rather than through the mesh itself. There are three layers of coil at any point around the assembly. This has the best chance of creating a uniform heat profile to minimize hot spots.

I have found that the thickness of the flower puck in the roasting tube makes a big difference on the need for stirring. If the puck is too thick, the air can only pass through the center part and there will be a center hot spot. If the air can pass through the puck uniformly, then there will be uniform roasting.

I only place enough material to fill the basket screen to ensure good air flow. The puck must be raised to the vaporizing temperature before you get vapor, so the more mass the puck has, the more heat is required to create vapor from it. If the unit is used for true on-demand convection, then the puck will cool down between hits so that it must be heated back to vaporizing temperature each time. This will help to preserve the flavor.

I have been using tap/stir method for when I load a bit too much material. While the load is still hot, tap the edge of the tube with your finger at a 45 degree angle to vibrate/lift the material from the edges. You can get the load to flip to expose some greener material. I pack it back down with the tip of my little finger before taking another hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
@Bravesst, should I have any concerns about the quilted maple LB you are making for me.

As much as I am happy to be receiving a quilted maple, the most important aspect of the device is it's performance and long term usability.

so based on what you described working with this wood, wondering your thoughts regarding long term usage of a quilted maple LB, thanks. ..
You should be fine ! Quilted Maple is just a bi@!$h to work with. Once having achieved desired form , it still remains a solid hunk of hard wood . It is just more prone to rips, chips and tears while working with it due to its grain formation and structure. Just sit tight, you will love your Lil' Bud :)

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
@Bravesst you might want to look into Persimmon-it's considered an American Ebony-it's a light wood. Oak and Pine are others you might consider as well as Birch. If you can make a guitar out of it, you can make an LB out of it. So Redwood, Swamp Ash, Alder, and maybe even Hickory.

Cedar too-but that can be a bitch for some folks with allergies-and the dust is pretty toxic. I'm going to a New England Luthier's Meeting at the end of the month-there are a couple of folks there who will appreciate the LB. I'll ask the what other North American hard woods make sense for you.

beyond6strings,
Reactions: Slickwilly

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Have no fear on the Quilted Maple, once built, it will make a fine unit. I wouldn't send you one that wasn't. Inclusions, and whatever weirdness is going on in grain that looks that cool. It's anything but uniform, and I guess I'm a bit inexperienced with it. If one or two bit the dust in the process, so bit it. I'm still never sending out a flawed unit - just means more time. If any wood I tried out turned out to now work, I'd let the customer know so they could choose an alternative. But in this case, we'll be okay.

As Alan states, the air passing around the mesh vs through it, especially with wide open ventilation from below, gives you that winning combination of rapid heat build up, as well as transfer, to the contents of the roasting tube. Speaking of which.

Half the vape is in the tube, as it's where the actual vaporization takes place. When purchasing LB and you are interested in custom stem of any kind, just ask. I've been told, anything is possible - and I'm beginning to believe that.

Lil' Bud is a pretty versatile guy. I like to pack light and keep stirring optional, but I love to get that *new bowl taste* after a quick stir. And yes, a new battery gives faster and super tasty - must be the rapid heat up. Combustion risk, at the beginning, may go up a hair, but I find it was easily mastered after a session or so. If there is a problem, it's usually basics, weed prep, load size, tamp, battery, distance aren't in the correct combination. Good news, dialing in seems rather intuitive due to the predictability of the heat.

@Alan
Yes, that is the exact evolution of Lil' Bud. From Alan's mind to my shop. First goal was to go glassless, and that was achieved rather easily thanks to Alan. The battery set up was a bit more painful, as it took me a while to iron that out - even with the design. From the very beginning, the coil was a winner all around, in the InstaHeat or in Lil' Bud, which are basically fancy boxes to hold the coil. And do you guys see that work of art spiral mesh coil? Great standard to live up to.

@beyond6strings Thanks my friend, I'll look into persimmon. Sound interesting.
Full Steam Ahead

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the quilted maple LB’s Mike. Hope you get a few good units from it. Making tubes from quilted maple can be challenging too. It does take more time to work with fancy woods and there is always the chance of accidents or finding inclusions in the wood, so you do need to charge a bit more. Keep up the great work.

Here is a photo of my Lil’ Bud with a blood wood 18x14 adapter tube.

bloodwoodtubelb.jpg

The seam running with the grain is almost invisible and the grain lines up so well. Nice job Mike. The craftsmanship is just incredible. The performance is even better. I’m still using mine every day and only need to change my two year old batteries once a day. I wonder how long it would last using newer batteries with higher capacity.

I want to share the history of how Lil’ Bud came to be. It was after reading the following post that I started to think about how Mike could make a unit that would complete the challenge.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/hand-crafted-custom-rbt-milaana.25538/#post-1182095

I sat down with a blank piece of paper and sketched out the concept of LB. I sent the sketch to Mike so that he could work out all the details of the design and suggested some tools/parts. It works just as I had anticipated and is based on the spiral coil heater that I created for the Insta Heat as it is free standing and does not require glass to prevent it from contacting the wood body. Here is a link to the story about how the Insta Heat was created.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/insta-heat-aka-iheat.24839/#post-1140793

I was never (and never have been) privilege to any of the details of the RBT provisional patent, so the spiral shape did not originate from there. The idea came from hearing about the spiral shaped heater for the Nomad and thinking about a car cigarette lighter. The key to the coil shape is that it must be formed just right to prevent it from shorting out on itself. The rigid support wires allows the coil to always maintain its shape so it won’t short or contact the wood. The wooden disk allows the spiral coil to be precisely mounted into the wooden body and removed for any needed repairs. The switch box attaches to the body with screws, so there is no need for any glue and it comes apart easily for any needed repairs. The battery cover allows for such an easy battery changeout.

Here is a photo of a spiral coil mounted on a 510 fitting for an iHeat cartridge.

spiralcoilheater.jpg

The air passes between the coils rather than through the mesh itself. There are three layers of coil at any point around the assembly. This has the best chance of creating a uniform heat profile to minimize hot spots.

I have found that the thickness of the flower puck in the roasting tube makes a big difference on the need for stirring. If the puck is too thick, the air can only pass through the center part and there will be a center hot spot. If the air can pass through the puck uniformly, then there will be uniform roasting.

I only place enough material to fill the basket screen to ensure good air flow. The puck must be raised to the vaporizing temperature before you get vapor, so the more mass the puck has, the more heat is required to create vapor from it. If the unit is used for true on-demand convection, then the puck will cool down between hits so that it must be heated back to vaporizing temperature each time. This will help to preserve the flavor.

I have been using tap/stir method for when I load a bit too much material. While the load is still hot, tap the edge of the tube with your finger at a 45 degree angle to vibrate/lift the material from the edges. You can get the load to flip to expose some greener material. I pack it back down with the tip of my little finger before taking another hit.
Thanks for the informative post about the history of the Lil' Bud, @Alan. However as many of you are aware, there is quite a bit of contention about the beginnings of this device and as such we have had several flame wars that we've had to deal with (in this and other threads) and we would like to ensure that the threads are focused on the products, and not about who did what, when and how. So it's with the desire to keep these threads civil and on topic that we ask for members to keep the posts about the products and not the contended history of how they came about. Please take any off-topic discussions about these matters to PMs as they do not belong in the product threads.

Thanks for your cooperation.

:peace:

Top Bottom