NuttinOnYoFace

also did anyone figure out what store sells a good quality butane for a cheap price? Someone said maybe home depot, but does anyone know a brand or name that they know works very well?

NuttinOnYoFace,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
slow and steady wins the race.
You want to hit it nice and slow... don't try to take a big rip off of it. That will work against you. Inhale at the same speed as if you were breathing slowly, no need to go any faster than that, and inhale until you feel your lungs are full. Hold it in for a tiny bit and slowly let it out.
Usually having the vapor hit somewhere in your mouth will cause it to cool and become a little smoother for your lungs to handle.

as far as butane goes, try a tobacco shop, they normally carry the good brands of Vector and Colibri to name a few. The stuff you normally find at home depot is not high enough quality to want to use in the iolite.

also, instead of making back to back posts, try using your edit button.

DevoTheStrange,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
NuttinOnYoFace said:
I am a little confused as to what you mean exactly by the sipping of a cocktail straw. I have smoked the unit a couple times and my friend seems to rip it for a long breath and get pretty baked. I just wanna make sure that I don't suck "not enough" to get no vapor. Or is it fine to barely suck in as long as I go for 10+ seconds. Also, is it better to inhale when the heating cycle begins or should I wait until it is done heating up before inhaling. Also someone mentioned about the vapor hitting your mouth, is it maybe better to tilt head back and inhale like upside down so it goes str8 to the lungs?
Sipping through a cocktail straw = real slow. Cocktail straws are generally tiny, so the amount of air that goes through them would be small. Inhaling slowly will keep the unit producing vapor, as opposed to inhaling quickly which cools down the vapor chamber so that it is not within the correct temperature to produce vapor.

Some people are concerned about inhaling some by-product of butane . Many people wait until the unit stops hissing, and then inhale. Merely moving the Iolite to your mouth after it stops hissing will clear any remnant of spent gas from around the Iolite. Personally, I don't bother, but others say, "Why take a chance?".

macbill,

wakenvape

Hello all,

I've been reading this thread for the past 2 days and got up to like page 15 when i realized it was last year! So i just skipped to like page 90 and after reading good current feedback on the iolite unit i'm seriously considering buying. This forum and this thread in particular is excellent. Exactly what i was looking for in terms of feedback from real buyers and all the tips great information. You all seem so educated in the world of vaping :D I am looking on ebay for some really great deals some are going for as little as 128.00 USD including shipping! The catch is I don't know the warranty situation for purchases on ebay other than the sellers that have the "official" iolite sticker that says they are a certified distributors. All the official sellers have the same 200 dollar price tag but with guarentee of warranty so i'm really at a conundrum right now if i should take some these deals at like 169.00 with free shipping, grinder, scale and butane! BUT, not a certified dealer and when i asked the question they gave a vague response here it is:
"Hello,

We keep records of all our customers, so if any issue occurs you may contact us and we'll situate the issue for your as soon as possible. Hope this helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you.

- doitright "

Although one seller that was selling for really cheap :brow: had this to say which was kinda relieving

"The guarantee is the manufacturer's warranty since
these are brand new items. We ship them exactly
how we receive them from the manufacturer itself
so sales through eBay does not matter as far as
you register your product with its serial number
through the manufacturer.

- taylandada"

SOOO pretty much i'm torn if i should spend the $200 for a guarenteed warranty and product with no worries or should i risk it with some of these other distributors with great deals but no "seal of approvement" from O&B.

HELP ME THANKS! :D

wakenvape,

freeman dyson

what do you need a vape for? what is your situation? do you absolutely need portability and stealth? if not, dont get an iolite. they are fragile, not very powerful, not a good primary vape, and overpriced. they are decent if you ABSOLUTELY need to smoke weed at line it taco bell or while driving or something. but i dont consider it a real vape. its like a pacifier.

freeman dyson,

wakenvape

well im 19 and im giving up smoking ive decided im just not as healthy as i was when i smoked literally everyday for 3 years sounds contradictory right but my body just cant take it anymore so i'm looking at vapin as a healthy alternative :D I do live with my parents so i really need something small and portable ive had bongs, zongs, pipes, bubblers everything but they always end up finding them and smashin them :mad: lol and ive had some good hiding spots over the years too. Anyways the iolite is just perfect for my situation since all my friends still smoke i need something thats portable so i can vape with them not worrying about an outlet or what not and it doesnt even look like a smoking device my mum would probably think its like some kind of walkie talkie if she ever found it :brow: lol so i read that you had some difficulties and tradhead as well which kinda put me off and just makes me want to buy from the legit dealer :/ Thanks though i appreciate your input! :D

wakenvape,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
freeman dyson said:
what do you need a vape for? what is your situation? do you absolutely need portability and stealth? if not, dont get an iolite. they are fragile, not very powerful, not a good primary vape, and overpriced. they are decent if you ABSOLUTELY need to smoke weed at line it taco bell or while driving or something. but i dont consider it a real vape. its like a pacifier.
Freeman:

I know from your discussions here that you have been disappointed with the Iolite. You've had a number of issues with yours.

But I like mine so much I bought two. The last one I bought only cost $157 (I think) at GrassCity.

The fragility you refer to must be the stems. Yes, that is a problem for many folk. I'm not sure what you mean by "not very powerful". Are you referring to you can't get a group wasted easily? I'd have to agree on that, too.

I think they are more than decent, and I do consider it a real vape. I get pretty stoned off of one load. You may be right, however, that it would be a poor choice for a primary vape for living with parents, if the user plans to use it in his/her room. They produce an odor that may be noticeable should someone enter during or directly after use. I suspect the odor dissipates within 10 minutes or so. But if the user plans to use it away from home, I think it a good choice.

I use mine around the house, and on the road. I don't use mine walking (because I can't slow my breathing down enough to effectively hit it), but standing or sitting outside works great for me.

When buying vapes, it's best to conceptualize how you will be using it and find one to fit your needs.

macbill,

wakenvape

Portability is my primary concern considering when going to have a smoke session with friends, I can't be carrying around some humongous volcano or have to worry about cords.

I'm pretty much set on buying this unit, the only thing that worries me is that many of these posts are regarding to some part of the iolite being broken or technical problems within the unit that would require sending it in to be fixed.

So I'm having a hard time deciding if I should just buy it from a certified distributor that has this
iolite-tag-web.jpg

for the price of $200 or if should just take one the deals on ebay that could save me $40-$80 without a guarentee of the warranty.

wakenvape,

greystr0ke

Congratulations! I bought mine a few weeks ago and while I had a few small issues at first, I'm an extremely happy customer now. Before you use yours, take the time to read a lot of the tips that are given here. In the last 3 pages of this thread alone, there is a ton of valuable information.

Enjoy.

greystr0ke,

wakenvape

Thank you, I was hesitant at first but ultimately this thread convinced me to just do it. Yeah, having no experience with any real vaporizers (except the lightbulb one) I've been reading all of your posts over and over and probably will do so even more when it is arrives! I'm very excited to join the community within a community lol of vapor enthusiasts =D

wakenvape,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
wakenvape said:
I am proud to say i just ordered my Iolite! :D
Congratulations. I hope you find it as cool as I do. Some points to remember:

* You need good butane. If you live in North America, not Ronson. European Ronson is said to work fine. You want butane that has been super-refined - that is to say, with fewer impurities. Vector, Colobri are two such brands, available online or check out your local tobacco/cigar store.

* Be aware that even good brands have impurities. Shake your can before mating with your Iolite. Many people stop refilling from these cans as they become empty because of suspected impurities. Additionally, nearly empty cans have poor pressure and you may not get a fully loaded tank.

* When you fill your unit the first time, bleed off anything that might be in the Iolite tank. Depress the Iolite fuel nozzle with a pen tip or other pointy device. You want to do that occasionally to bleed off any air that may enter the unit. Sometimes that can be a problem if your unit has a full tank of air instead of gas.

* You may want to use a rubber band to hold the chamber to the unit. Believe me, inevitably you will pick the unit up by the stem and spill your load.

* Some folks (like me) have completely removed the condenser piece located in the stem. It gums up easily, but it forces you to take a slow hit.

* You'll find the the unit is easier to light if it is warm. Filling with butane makes it cold, so hold it in the palms of your hands for a minute or so.

* It is very important that you do not leave your stems installed if you are not using the unit. They are very easy to break. Especially when hot. Minimize any kind of torque at all costs on the stems. You will find if easier if you remove the stem while the unit is still warm. Otherwise, the golden vapeing residue will glue them in when the Iolite is cold. No probs. if you forget: just heat the unit to remove the stem.

* Your herb ought to be fairly dry and ground small. How small? For me, I grind it to about the size of sea salt, or for those hunters out there, 16 to 18 gauge shot.

* Try different load sizes for your needs, but do not pack chamber tightly. The object of vapeing is extraction by hot air. If you pack the chamber, air will not be able to circulate around the particles of herb. Some people load by sucking up the herb through the chamber. Try it all ways, but do not pack.

*Draw slowly. Inhale as if sipping air slowly through a cocktail straw. The chamber needs to be at a certain temperature to maximize vapor production. Inhaling quickly will lower the chamber's temp. and it will cease producing vapor. Make a game out of it: see how long you can continuously inhale and still hold your breath.

* Some folks wait for a pre-heat (1 or 2 heating cycles) before loading and toking. I don't. I like it pre-loaded before I start it. It minimizes (for me) the hassles. Try it all ways and find the one you like. It is all good.

I'm sure I forgot something. All this talk of Iolites convinced to have a load whilst typing. Hopefully others will chime in, so new users don't have to go through the whole thread for basic, operational hints. Thanks Vtac...man, I'll be published!

macbill,

wakenvape

Thank you that was pretty much exactly what I needed.

Quick question on quality butane, the kind that came with my purchase is Power 5x refined. I'm wondering if that is a quality brand for my vape.

butane-gas-300ml.jpg

wakenvape,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I don't know the brand, but I have used stuff that said it was 5x and it worked, so, it's worth a try.

macbill,

chucku

Charles Urbane
macbill said:
wakenvape said:
I am proud to say i just ordered my Iolite! :D
Congratulations. I hope you find it as cool as I do. Some points to remember:

* You need good butane. Not Ronson. You want butane that has been super-refined - that is to say, with fewer impurities. Vector, Colobri are two such brands, available online or check out your local tobacco/cigar store.

* Be aware that even good brands have impurities. Shake your can before mating with your Iolite. Many people stop refilling from these cans as they become empty because of impurities. You can use the butane for less finicky devices.

* When you fill your unit the first time, bleed off anything that might be in the Iolite tank. Depress the Iolite fuel nozzle with a pen tip or other pointy device. You want to do that occasionally to bleed off any air that may enter the unit, as some kind of inert gas is used as a propellant in the butane can, and it gets in. Sometimes that can be a problem if your unit has a full tank of propellant instead of gas.

* You may want to use a rubber band to hold the chamber to the unit. Believe me, inevitably you will pick the unit up by the stem and spill your load.

* You'll find the the unit is easier to light if it is warm. Filling with burtane makes it cold, so hold it in the palms of your hands for a half a minute or so.

* It is very important that you do not leave your stems installed if you are not using the unit. They are very easy to break. Especially when hot. Minimize torque at all costs. But you will find if easier if you remove them while the unit is still warm. Otherwise, the golden vapeing residue will glue them in when the Iolite is cold. No probs. if you forget: just heat the unit to remove the stem.

* Your herb ought to be fairly dry and ground small. How small? For me, I grind it to about the size of sea salt, or for those hunters out there, 16 to 18 gauge shot.

* Try different load sizes for your needs, but do not pack chamber tightly. The object of vapeing is extraction by hot air. If you pack the chamber, air will not be able to circulate around the particles of herb. Some people load by sucking up the herb through the chamber. Try it all ways, but do not pack.

*Draw slowly. Inhale as if sipping air slowly through a cocktail straw. The chamber needs to be at a certain temperature to maximize vapor production. Inhaling quickly will lower the chamber's temp. and it will cease producing vapor. Make a game out of it: see how long you can continuously inhale and still hold your breath.

* Some folks wait for a pre-heat (1 or 2 heating cycles) before loading and toking. I don't. I like it pre-loaded before I start it. It minimizes (for me) the hassles. Try it all ways and find the one you like. It is all good.

I'm sure I forgot something. All this talk of Iolites convinced to have a load whilst typing. Hopefully others will chime in, so new users don't have to go through the whole thread for basic, operational hints. Thanks Vtac...man, I'll be published!
Not to split hairs but.....The reason for not using near empty cans of butane is there may not be enough pressure to get a good fill.

There is no propellant, Butane is a compressed gas that when released changes from a liquid to gaseous state (Ideal Gas Law, pv=nrt. high school chemistry) and rapidly cools when it expands. That is why you want the butane can to be somewhat warmer than the object betting filled. The reason for bleeding the tank is that no matter how hard you try or how perfect the conditions you will never be able to completely fill the tank. Once filled any volume not taken by butane is air. Each subsequent filling introduces a little more air into the tank and the usable capacity gradually diminishes to the point performance can be affected.

Lastly, when you go to your local cigar shop or online tobacco retailer get the larger 300ml (10 fl oz) cans of butane. Colibri is good but only comes in small cans. Blazer and Lucienne are also good brands. Anything 4x or 5x refined will be good. Remember, cigar smokers are not going to fill their expensive ($50.00 and up) lighters with crap butane. Just make sure the butane you buy has a unversal fill tip (most do), do not get S.T. Dupont butane. The tips on their cans are specific to their different lines of expensive lighters.

chucku,

dub

vapor newb
hi i just got an iolite and im enjoying it so far , their site said ronson is good so thats wat i got , but some people here say its not .
can anyone recommend a good brand ? im in dublin thanx

dub,

wakenvape

hi i just got an iolite and im enjoying it so far , their site said ronson is good so thats wat i got , but some people here say its not .
Hi there,

From what i read throughout this thread is that ronson brand butane made and bought in the US is a crap brand as opposed to overseas in Europe. So the ronson you buy there in dublin should be quality but thats just what i gathered here.

wakenvape,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
chucku said:
Not to split hairs but.....The reason for not using near empty cans of butane is there may not be enough pressure to get a good fill.
That makes sense. I didn't do well in chemistry 35 yrs ago.

Still, the reason I mentioned it, is I recall somewhere in the thread about spraying mirrors with butane and how in a partial can of good butane a greater amount of impurities came out. Maybe that was something else.

Thanks for clearing it up. Way better to have truth than fiction masking as truth.

macbill,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
dub said:
Ronson should be fine... It is in the US that you don't want to buy Ronson. It isn't as refined as its European brand.

DevoTheStrange,

dub

vapor newb
thanx guys , glad i found that out i didnt want to do anything that would harm my iolite .
is there any good shops in ireland that hav a good selection of vaporizers ? if anyone knows thanx

dub,

BGiG

Hi @ all
I just bought the Iolite Vaporizer... this is where the trouble begins...
already had refillingproblems...light up problems...but they are solved now thanks to this forum!
But heres my new problem:
It is pretty hard to breath in through the iolite vaporizer. After it has stopped heating up i can breath in as fast as I can, but I'm unable to completly fill my lung with vapor before reheating begins.
Is this normal? Actually I feel like sucking in the vapor. I already took out the heat condenser and cleaned it. This did not help.

Maybe you guys have some advice?

BGiG,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
BGiG said:
Hi @ all

It is pretty hard to breath in through the iolite vaporizer. After it has stopped heating up i can breath in as fast as I can, but I'm unable to completly fill my lung with vapor before reheating begins.
Is this normal? Actually I feel like sucking in the vapor. I already took out the heat condenser and cleaned it. This did not help.
Many people just remove the condenser entirely and never put it back in. That's what I did. Occasionally, you will have to clean the screen in the Vaporizor chamber (the thing that you fill with herb) as they become clogged. You should be able to inhale easily. I soak my screens in iso alcohol.

Naturally, the heating cycle will start heating when the Iolite cools down. Inhaling through the unit cools it down. If you inhale slowly, it may not cool off as quickly. Give that a try.

I am not scientifically oriented, but some claim that the the by-product of spent butane is not harmful. Others prefer to not take a chance. I inhale through the cycle, but others don't. It's up to you.

macbill,
Top Bottom