AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Crap. Mine just pooped. I think the ignition unit is no longer firing. Ive had this thing for 1.5 weeks and now Im vapeless.
Time to contact customer support :(

AGBeer,

Phase 2

I've had mine for a few days and I'm a little underwhelmed. I find myself wanting an actual toke afterwards as it delivers a heavier hit and is more satisfying. I'm a regular toker, but I don't smoke tobacco, so it's not even like I'm missing that extra bit.

My setup involves putting together a few of the mouthpieces to get around 4" in length, which provides a reasonably cool inhale. Is this maybe too long? Is there a secret technique to using vapes? I would normally just have joints, so it's not even a bong hit I'm missing; just something a little more substantial. When inhaling I take maybe 15-second slow inhales directly into my lungs, rather than the using smoking method of mouth first and then deep inhale. Am I doing it wrong? It's a chore to spend 15 mins inhaling in a very slow manner, to get such little reward. A joint would bring a heavier hit much, much faster. While it's nice to be relatively alert at times, it's also nice to get somewhat more toasted.

It's far better than being sober, but given the lack of a need to be stealthy, I'd sooner go for joints. From this experience so far, at least. :-/

Phase 2,

420_Skier

I FINALLY got a response from customer service. They are going to send me replacement mouthpieces. Does anyone know what the packaging looks like? I'll be home for christmas and am having them sent there.

420_Skier,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Phase 2 said:
I've had mine for a few days and I'm a little underwhelmed. I find myself wanting an actual toke afterwards as it delivers a heavier hit and is more satisfying. I'm a regular toker, but I don't smoke tobacco, so it's not even like I'm missing that extra bit.

My setup involves putting together a few of the mouthpieces to get around 4" in length, which provides a reasonably cool inhale. Is this maybe too long? Is there a secret technique to using vapes? I would normally just have joints, so it's not even a bong hit I'm missing; just something a little more substantial. When inhaling I take maybe 15-second slow inhales directly into my lungs, rather than the using smoking method of mouth first and then deep inhale. Am I doing it wrong? It's a chore to spend 15 mins inhaling in a very slow manner, to get such little reward. A joint would bring a heavier hit much, much faster. While it's nice to be relatively alert at times, it's also nice to get somewhat more toasted.

It's far better than being sober, but given the lack of a need to be stealthy, I'd sooner go for joints. From this experience so far, at least. :-/
Keep playing with it. You sound just like my brother. He's a heavy smoker that I have been trying to get to vape for a while. The guy used to own a volcano and sold it, so I knew it was an uphill battle. He's hit probably five different types of vapes with me. The other night he was hitting the PD (he'd used it several times before) and finally got it. He had been hitting too hard for a long time and when he finally slowed down the PD hit him great. Before that he hadn't had a good vape high in years.

If you keep at it you will find what you are looking for. You almost have to reprogram yourself and your expectations regarding load amount, draw speed, type of high, etc.

stickstones,

Phase 2

stickstones said:
Keep playing with it. You sound just like my brother. He's a heavy smoker that I have been trying to get to vape for a while. The guy used to own a volcano and sold it, so I knew it was an uphill battle. He's hit probably five different types of vapes with me. The other night he was hitting the PD (he'd used it several times before) and finally got it. He had been hitting too hard for a long time and when he finally slowed down the PD hit him great. Before that he hadn't had a good vape high in years.

If you keep at it you will find what you are looking for. You almost have to reprogram yourself and your expectations regarding load amount, draw speed, type of high, etc.
Yeah, I figure it's early days, and the hit I had after posting was actually improved from the first couple of days. But it wasn't anywhere near as heavy as with the same amount burned in a spliff.

I shortened the mouthpiece and it had a more powerful feel to the inhalations, but I'm not sure of the correct vape technique. Drawing for 15 or so seconds at a constant speed seems to fill my lungs. I find much longer and it starts to burn my throat too much. I've been trying little tweaks like inhaling a breath of air afterwards, to force it further down, but not quite sure of how to get that magic formula just yet.

Phase 2,

MDBudz

420_Skier said:
I FINALLY got a response from customer service. They are going to send me replacement mouthpieces. Does anyone know what the packaging looks like? I'll be home for christmas and am having them sent there.
My replacements came in a plain yellow padded envelope.

MDBudz,

King Kong

I been having a weird problem, i been using Vector butane, but last night, after i filled it, and let it sit for a few mins, i turned it on, and nothing, no hiss... I shook it a little bit, it hissed a little bit, then stopped hissing, i couldn't even ignite it by pressing the switch..

I had a 2nd can of vector, so i flushed the air from the iolite and let it sit by the heater vent for a few mins, flushed the air again and put some fresh new butane in it, and turned it on and the problems seems to of went away... The only thing i can guess is once u get to the bottom of the butane can, the purity gets worse and seems to clog the iolite, this is the 2nd time it happened to me when i was near the bottom of the butane can..

King Kong,

travis

King Kong said:
I been having a weird problem, i been using Vector butane, but last night, after i filled it, and let it sit for a few mins, i turned it on, and nothing, no hiss... I shook it a little bit, it hissed a little bit, then stopped hissing, i couldn't even ignite it by pressing the switch..

I had a 2nd can of vector, so i flushed the air from the iolite and let it sit by the heater vent for a few mins, flushed the air again and put some fresh new butane in it, and turned it on and the problems seems to of went away... The only thing i can guess is once u get to the bottom of the butane can, the purity gets worse and seems to clog the iolite, this is the 2nd time it happened to me when i was near the bottom of the butane can..
First time poster, here. I've owned the io for a couple of months and have read every post in this thread.

KK, your post made me join. I've been having the same problem as you. I'm at the bottom of my can of Vector and mine's been sputtering for days. I never thought that it might be the problem until you mentioned it. I just switched to a newer can and it's getting a little better. I think someone previously mentioned that it took them a while to "cleean out" the io from some bad Ronsen. I hope the fresh Vector will fix it because I don't want to send this to the UK for a couple of months.

Let me know if your sputtering comes back...

travis,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Phase 2 said:
stickstones said:

Yeah, I figure it's early days, and the hit I had after posting was actually improved from the first couple of days. But it wasn't anywhere near as heavy as with the same amount burned in a spliff.

I shortened the mouthpiece and it had a more powerful feel to the inhalations, but I'm not sure of the correct vape technique. Drawing for 15 or so seconds at a constant speed seems to fill my lungs. I find much longer and it starts to burn my throat too much. I've been trying little tweaks like inhaling a breath of air afterwards, to force it further down, but not quite sure of how to get that magic formula just yet.
The shorter mouthpiece will make the vapor hotter, and therefore, more harsh (longer vapor path = more time to cool). I think you may be inhaling just a little too quickly. Try going too slow...so that you have to stop because you are not getting enough air. Then speed it up gradually from there until you find the sweet spot. My brother was hitting too hard for a long time...he just needed to slow down.

This is your first vaporizer experience, yes? If so, it really is nothing like smoking. The hits are not as thick, nor as harsh. The high creeps up on you later (5 to 10 minutes) and is a little different. Don't give up!

stickstones,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Phase 2 said:
I've had mine for a few days and I'm a little underwhelmed. I find myself wanting an actual toke afterwards as it delivers a heavier hit and is more satisfying.
I can remember feeling the same way about the Iolite/I-inhale. When I got my first unit I thought it worked poorly.

I have found that for me, 2 MAJOR FACTORS were: 1) herb not dry enough. 2) herb not ground fine enough. There are plenty of testimonials to that effect in this thread.

Now I think the Iolite is really bitchin' (am I dating myself?).

macbill,

travis

I've noticed that once my unit has heated up after ~20min and in between intervals of non-use, it will burn very quietly and slightly sputter. Although after a drag, it will burn at full blast for a couple cycles. Then it will go back to a slow burn after a couple minutes of being idle.

Is it supposed to burn full blast during every heating cycle or does it vary the burn strength depending on the heating requirement?

travis,

niall

travis said:
Is it supposed to burn full blast during every heating cycle or does it vary the burn strength depending on the heating requirement?
The latter, it'll fire up until it gets back to temp. If you're not inhaling lots it won't cool down as much so won't need much heating time to get back up.

niall,

kineticballs

I dont know if this has been asked yet. But I read from like page 40 that someone suggested preheating iolite first before packing the bowl. I was wondering if I can heat it without the bowl being attached. Is there something that might go wrong or is it ok to heat it without the bowl being attached.

Or how you guys do it, or is it just useless to preheat it ?

kineticballs,

ChuckRock

yes you can preheat it without the bowl attached.
In fact that's the method i tend to use.
Let it go through two heat cycles then pack the bottom bowl.
Then i wait another heat cycle and start hitting it.
Works great!
I still find the thickest vapes are after about 5 mins of usage

ChuckRock,

albe

i agree with the posts about using the shorter mouthpiece. Was also underwhelmed with it at the start, but have stuck with it and am getting some nice hits from it now. Also drying the bud too, and letting it heat for 4-5 mins as said above.
refilling can be a pain but its ok once u get past the thought u might break the inflow valve thingy.

its a great little unit for sitting on the beach (down south this Aussie summer) :cool:

albe,

King Kong

freeman dyson said:
Can you just use a regular bowl screen in the weed chamber? Or should I just use what is made for it?
its just a normal screen, if it fits, then it will work

King Kong,

Phase 2

macbill said:
I can remember feeling the same way about the Iolite/I-inhale. When I got my first unit I thought it worked poorly.

I have found that for me, 2 MAJOR FACTORS were: 1) herb not dry enough. 2) herb not ground fine enough. There are plenty of testimonials to that effect in this thread.

Now I think the Iolite is really bitchin' (am I dating myself?).
How fine is fine? Are we talking near-dust, or just not in buds/big pieces?

Phase 2,

Phase 2

stickstones said:
The shorter mouthpiece will make the vapor hotter, and therefore, more harsh (longer vapor path = more time to cool). I think you may be inhaling just a little too quickly. Try going too slow...so that you have to stop because you are not getting enough air. Then speed it up gradually from there until you find the sweet spot. My brother was hitting too hard for a long time...he just needed to slow down.

This is your first vaporizer experience, yes? If so, it really is nothing like smoking. The hits are not as thick, nor as harsh. The high creeps up on you later (5 to 10 minutes) and is a little different. Don't give up!
Yeah, the shorter mouthpiece makes it hotter, but also I feel like I'm actually drawing on something, rather than the unsatisfying longer piece, which feels like I'm just breathing air and getting essence of weed. It's probably just psychological as I'm used to a hot toke, but it did feel better and like it was actually doing something.

It is indeed my first experience using a vape. I've had it for a week and used it just 3 or 4 times. I'm still wanting a joint as it's stronger and more immediate, but hopefully improving my vape technique will make them a bit closer in terms of efficacy.

Phase 2,

Phase 2

Argh - now my mouthpiece screw-in piece has broke, with hardly any pressure having been applied.

It's snapped-off so the "screw" bit is still inside the grooves of the chamber bit, meaning I can't even slide a replacement one on. Damn it. :/

Edit: I e-mailed iolite and they said they'd send me one of the metal mouthpieces. Very happy with their service and speedy replies. Great stuff!

Phase 2,

MDBudz

It's snapped-off so the "screw" bit is still inside the grooves of the chamber bit, meaning I can't even slide a replacement one on. Damn it. :/
Iolite has instructions on their website for how to remove the broken piece of the mouthpiece stem that is still threaded in the unit. Basically, just turn it on and heat it up. Then you can stick a scissor or knife blade into the opening where it is broken-off and unscrew the broken-off piece.

MDBudz,

freeman dyson

i think im gonna send my iolite in for repair. they say need a reciept. i bought it off e bay and have a paypal reciept, will that work>?

freeman dyson,

StickyShisha2

it still bugs me that some stores didn't swap out the bad mouthpieces before sale.
The girl at the store where i recently bought one (for a gift) was great. She already knew of the problem and took good care of me.:brow:

and i got a package from Ireland today... 2 complimentary SS tipped mouthpieces.

StickyShisha2,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
freeman dyson said:
i think im gonna send my iolite in for repair. they say need a reciept. i bought it off e bay and have a paypal reciept, will that work>?
I'm sure it will depend if it was a retailer selling new, or if you bought used. Really, you should ask them, not us.

Phase 2 said:
How fine is fine? Are we talking near-dust, or just not in buds/big pieces?
I get it about the size of sea salt, or cake spreckles: try different sizes: see if you note a difference.

macbill,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I just bought an Iolite today, and after using it for several hours while my girlfriend puffed away on spliffs, was vaping for the first time. We used a Sharpstone 4 level grinder to mash the herbs up, and fired away.

I will try to post a full review with pictures of before and after herb later, but I find a lot to like about this portable vaporiser and a fair bit to criticize as well.

Quick best point: This is really stealthy; only makes noise when running the butane to warm up or maintain temperature and produces little or no smell. Could be used in a movie theatre, albeit one that was not packed.

Quick worst point: If it was made o a larger percentage of metal (eg. brushed aluminum) it would feel higher quality.

As is, it certainly does the job for a light smoker, and I was able to hit it for 8 sessions on the already filled butane. Will probably last for a few more.

Tom

tdavie,
Top Bottom