ChuckRock

Just received this email from Oglesby and Butler the manufacturers of the i-olite

***************************************************************************************

It has come to our attention that some organisations are offering spare mouthpieces for the iolite that are not made by Oglesby and Butler Ltd.

None of these organisations have any relationship with Oglesby and Butler Ltd.

We believe there is an unacceptable high chance of personal injury and or bodily harm with the use of these products.

Example number 1; This example has an unacceptably high chance of severely burning the user under normal conditions of use.

Example number 2; This example has no declaration of materials used in construction and may be toxic.

Any iolite vaporiser returned to us for warranty inspection that have been used with these replacements and or others that are not manufactured by Oglesby and Butler Ltd. and or not supplied by Oglesby and Butler ltd. authorised network of distributors will not be covered under warranty.

We will also not be held liable for personal injury and or bodily harm from the use of these replacements and or other parts not manufactured by Oglesby and Butler Ltd.

If you have a broken mouthpiece manufactured by Oglesby and Butler Ltd. please contact us for a free warranty replacement at support@my-iolite.com or phone +353 5991 43333

image001la.jpg

ChuckRock,

MDBudz

freeman dyson said:
MDBudz said:
freeman dyson said:
ok, this is what happens.

when I turn the gas on it starts off very quiet. During this time I often cant ignite it. Then after about 30 seconds it starts to sputter and get louder. then i can ignite it. then it runs normall after about 2 minutes and stays normal for the rest of the session. is this supposed to happen? i thought you were supposed to ignite immediately after turning on the gas but I usually cant.
Mine does this exact thing also. I have tried venting and refilling but the problem continues. I only use Vector butane. I have to wait until I hear a good spurt of gas and time my press of the ignition button to that spurt. Sometimes I also have to tap the side of the unit to get more gas to flow high enough so that I can get it started. After it ignites it will take several minutes to operate normally...lots of sputters/spits and very faint glow of orange. However, after the first full cycle and the thermostat shuts off the gas, it will then run perfectly throughout the remainder of the session.
I've tried everything. How long have you had yours? I just got mine a week ago.
I've had my unit for several months. When I initially got it, it would ignite immediately however it did not heat up to a high enough temparture to generate vapor and I had to return it to mfg. in Ireland for repair. Almost immediately upon receipt of the repaired unit the iginition problems began. I have contacted the mfg. again and they offered no suggestions other than to ship it back to them again for repair/replacement. One of these days I'll ship it back to them again, I just don't want to go w/o it for the 3-4 weeks it will take for the round-trip to Ireland.

MDBudz,

WakeUp

Hey everybody. I'm new to the vaporizer community, and I recently purchased an Iolite (I love it). But when it came to refill I believe I over did it, and it will not ignite. So my question is how do I purge it of butane because by the looks of my tool it doesn't work for me.

WakeUp,

pipehippy

Lol, I just ordered the metal screw in thread whip holder that poses an unacceptable risk of burns.. seems less risky to me than watching resin bubble out the base and mid section of my "safe" and "authentic" melty stems though.. just wished the manufacturers would come to the conclusion that they need a proper solution like this.. maybe they could cover it with their impossible to melt, non toxic plastic.. hmmm :)

Just glad to see I'm not the only one with a lazy iolite.. mine can take a good few mins before wanting to ignite.. Why do I like this bloody thing, nothing but trouble, but I do :)

pipehippy,

freeman dyson

I am really starting to get annoyed. I have to wait about five minutes to spark it after turning on the gas. i have vented it many times and used only premium butane.

freeman dyson,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Freeman, did you email the mfgr yet to see if they have other soutions?? You should not have to let the gas run that long before ignition... It sounds like you may need some tech support or mail in for warranty repair. Sorry to hear that!!

Lo,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
freeman dyson said:
I am really starting to get annoyed. I have to wait about five minutes to spark it after turning on the gas. i have vented it many times and used only premium butane.
sounds like your unit is starting too do what my first iolite did before it finally kicked the bucket. Mine wouldn't vent for a while, then when it stated it vented too fast. Email Iolite, see what they say. Hope you don't have too cash in on the warranty.

DevoTheStrange,

niall

Had similar experience with poor quality butane, try switching brands and if it persists send it back.

niall,

zombonaut

I would like some feedback from other Iolite users on cleaning the unit please.

The mouthpiece and bowl are no problem I just soak in everclear.

The issue for me is how to clean the heat pin and surrounding aluminum heating area. I have the original design with the non-rounded edges. I removed the screen that surrounded the pin.

The buildup down there and on the pin gets pretty stubborn and close to black. How do you guys clean yours?

I'm not super concerned with it except if my unit fails under warranty and I need to get it squeaky clean to send it for service.

zombonaut,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
zombonaut said:
The issue for me is how to clean the heat pin and surrounding aluminum heating area. I have the original design with the non-rounded edges. I removed the screen that surrounded the pin.

The buildup down there and on the pin gets pretty stubborn and close to black. How do you guys clean yours?
I turn my empty unit on to heat it up a bit, then I turn it off. When it is warm (NOT HOT), I pour a little alcohol into the chamber (be careful: no explosions needed). Place the Iolite in a drinking glass to keep it upright. I let it sit over night, or at least a very long time. I cut the pointed end off a round toothpick, so that the tip is flat, and I scrub the bottom with the flatted toothpick.

The wood shouldn't scratch the bottom too much. I've also used the wire end of a straightened large paper clip for real stubborn stains. Doesn't get it perfect (or I'm too lazy to get it there), but it cleans it up.

I leave the pin in anymore. I don't want to chance stripping the threads, as I have problems with my inner clown. I usually wipe it with a q-tip soaked in alcohol. If stains persist, I sand them off with a nail file (rarely).

macbill,

giga

Hi All,

I'm new to FC and only discovered it after buying my iolite vaporizer a few days ago. I have a few comments/questions for you all and for Iolite's people if they happen to read this.

So I bought my iolite a few days ago for about $200 at a local shop. I'm new to vaporizers- I've used them 4 or 5 times but never owned one. I was very excited about the idea of the iolite and so far it has been pretty good, with only a few problems.

The main issue I'm having is that often when I'm pulling on the tube to inhale vapor, I get this strange cool numbing sensation on my lips/tongue where air was coming through. It almost feels as if i'm pulling in some kind of chemicals- worried that the plastic is giving off something (no visible signs of melting or breaking) or that butane is leaking through (although I've read it is completely separated.)

Like I said, I'm new to vaporizing so I don't really have much to compare to, but I am worried I am breathing in something toxic- please if anyone can shed some light on this, do. It feels as if I'm pulling through some kind of cooler air (than the vapor) that makes my tongue and mouth feel cold/numb for a few seconds afterward. I was thinking it could just be cold air coming in behind warm vapor, but it does have a strange plasticy/chemically taste that lingers on my tongue. Thoughts?

Otherwise, the iolite works great! no problems with it so far other than what I posted above, and assuming I'm not inhaling melted plastic or something it's a great product. Just worried about the safety is all...
Thanks!

Also, wanted to add that after looking up Ultem 1000, the plastic used on the mouthpiece and exterior parts of the iolite, it is listed as having maximum temperatures below the 190 C that the iolite heats to, http://k-mac-plastics.net/data sheets/ultem_1000_technical_property_data.htm.
I'm no engineer, but just kind of sketched out by hot plastic things I'm inhaling...

giga,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
lo said:
Well I received a reply today from manufacturer stating my SS mouthpieces have shipped :) Yeah!!

Can't wait to see my SS mouthpieces!!
Lo:

I'm glad to hear you are getting the SS mouthpieces: they surely will alleviate Broken Stem Syndrome (BSS).

I still think my mod is better. Yes, you have to grind out the white thingy, but with no rigid stub protruding above the unit, my silicone-stemmed unit folds over for easy pants pocket placement (PPP).

I like a good PPP.

macbill,

dandavapeman

I decided to go fully stealth with my new Iolite. I was an early user of the Iinhale (Jan 09), but decided to sell it to a mate and purchase an newer Iolite model. The bowl is far easier to keep clean generally with some Isopropyl alchohol (Maplin's : 6). I decided to paint the decals with some "No Nonsence - Heat Proof Paint". Leave's a nice black matt finish:).
IMG_0351-1.jpg

It's the only vape I use now and I'm a big fan of this amazing little bit of tech! No real problems with either of my models and both were/are used daily. Always used "Colibri Premium Butane" (Ebay). 10/10 to Oglesby & Butler Ltd from me :)

dandavapeman,

niall

giga said:
It feels as if I'm pulling through some kind of cooler air (than the vapor) that makes my tongue and mouth feel cold/numb for a few seconds afterward. I was thinking it could just be cold air coming in behind warm vapor, but it does have a strange plasticy/chemically taste that lingers on my tongue. Thoughts?
Are you inhaling through the mouthpiece while the iolite is heating and hissing? If so, stop - you don't want to be inhaling the exhaust by-products through the air intake, bowl and into your lungs. Only inhale while the unit is not hissing.

If not, no idea I only get warm to hot air - towards the end of a long, slow draw the mouthpiece warms up a fair bit so I usually stop that toke when it becomes hot and then inhale fresh air at the end until my lungs are full.

niall,

giga

niall said:
giga said:
It feels as if I'm pulling through some kind of cooler air (than the vapor) that makes my tongue and mouth feel cold/numb for a few seconds afterward. I was thinking it could just be cold air coming in behind warm vapor, but it does have a strange plasticy/chemically taste that lingers on my tongue. Thoughts?
Are you inhaling through the mouthpiece while the iolite is heating and hissing? If so, stop - you don't want to be inhaling the exhaust by-products through the air intake, bowl and into your lungs. Only inhale while the unit is not hissing.

If not, no idea I only get warm to hot air - towards the end of a long, slow draw the mouthpiece warms up a fair bit so I usually stop that toke when it becomes hot and then inhale fresh air at the end until my lungs are full.
I generally inhale when it is done heating/hissing. It almost feels as if the air is warm, but has a numbing effect on my lips and tongue. It doesn't bother me physically, but it worries me of what is in the vapor. Perhaps it is just the nerves in my mouth used to smoking cigarettes and glass pieces with hot smoke... who knows. I e-mailed the company that makes iolite so hopefully i'll hear from them.

Is this numbing sensation a normal thing with vapor? Any ideas?

Thanks all-

giga,

niall

Doesn't ring any bells with me, it could just be the hot temps maybe fooling your nerves into thinking it's cold? :uhoh: Dunno, maybe try cooling it through a bong with some putty to get a good seal and see if that gives the same result?

niall,

pipehippy

@gigi.. I experience what you describe if i hit the vape non stop, toke after toke without breathers. But just to confuse you further I get it with other vapes also.

pipehippy,

vape4health

I made a few post about my iolite not running hot enough , it was that bullshit Ronson making it :
run to cool
hard to start
using twice as much fuel

After running ONLY Vector for the past few weeks my IO is kicking out vapors . It didnt just start running great after the Vector , it took a few weeks to ( clean the crap out ? ) I have been getting atleast 5 bowls per refill and thats with 4 people toking it . So I take it back , the iolite dont run cool , that was user error . DONT USE RONSON :p

vape4health,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
+1 on the el cheapo Ronson crap. I will say that I am a little nervous of my unit in its longevity. Thus far its performed like a champ (when it finally gets to a good vape temp) but Im worried about how long this will ultimately last. :uhoh:

I think its time to invest in more than just this one...

AGBeer,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
giga said:
Is this numbing sensation a normal thing with vapor? Any ideas?

Thanks all-
A good way to judge temperature is to raise your tongue so that the underside of your tongue is in the air path of the vaporizer (whatever vaporizer you use). I can better sense heat with the underside of my tongue as opposed to the back of the throat.

Does it feel hot or cold, now?

Could you have a sensitivity to these types of plastics to cause the sensation? Try extending the mouthpiece with some tubing and give that a go.

macbill,
Top Bottom