D420

I have been using a vaporizer on and off for a few years. Owning a older model super vapezilla (still working) explains the on and off. I think it is one of the best at extracting meds but with a 5min heat-up, 20 min cool down the thing is about as convenient as owning a commercial jet and as loud. ZERO portability kept me combusting. After reading so many reviews I ended up picking up an iolite and it rocks. The extraction isn't 100% of what the svz can do but the convenience and portability make up for it. My only suggestion if you pick one up is wait beyond the 90sec heat up...pretty much 4 -5min before it really starts to extract. Check your local headshops for these - I picked mine up for $200. Definitely does what it claims for sure...

D420,

shotgunwilly

as far as getting "brown" herb at the end... it all depends how long it it vaporized for.. i find mine turns light brown after 20 - 30 min... but it seems like it takes forever... i also stir it half way thru... i would like to see a slightly higher temp on these, they say the golden temp is 200C where 98-99 % of the thc is released... but, its a fine line because in my experience with a different vaporizer was it was igniting the herb if it stayed over 206 for more than 30 secs to a min... and with the thermostat not being perfect, i could easily see with the heat fluctuations of the heater and thermostat, that if you set the temp too close to 200, it might heat over that and cause ignition....

shotgunwilly,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Vaporization flash points of active compounds varies depending on the compound, however most of what we want is volatilized by 185C. The iolite is set at 190C +/- 5C, so should be perfect.

willieR,

shotgunwilly

willieR... if #5 doesnt work, try #3... i just found a can of vector that had a number 3 nozzle...(ive been known to use multiple cans at one time...lol) and that works well too... anyway, hope that helps.

shotgunwilly,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
shotgunwilly said:
... but, its a fine line because in my experience with a different vaporizer was it was igniting the herb if it stayed over 206 for more than 30 secs to a min... and with the thermostat not being perfect, i could easily see with the heat fluctuations of the heater and thermostat, that if you set the temp too close to 200, it might heat over that and cause ignition....
I don't know of any half accurate vape that ignites at 206?, I crank my Extreme to 250 and it gets really dark brown but no ignition.

DeepFried,

bomdy

Hey guys, where do i get mixture condensors from, I recently bought 2 mouth/chambers and they come with the seven hole screens, tips, and a 2inch split mouth piece. but when i looked inside there was no condenser. Any Ideas how to get some.

Also I have the old Iinhale and the IOLITE, they both look identical removable pin and bottom screen. I took the bottom screens out and now those badboys are SMOKIN' i get clouds that look like I smoking a joint. Very nice, however cleaning the bowl is a biatchh. if you guys could tell me a better method to clean the bowl I'll be forever grateful.

BTW my cleaning weapons of choice are: Soft long pipe brushes, and hard bristle pipe stick brushes. I leave the pieces in a glass container with 70% rubbing alcohol. and if the resin is too tough i use "EVERCLEAR" grain alcohol (190 proof) :D

bomdy,

shotgunwilly

great link willieR... pg122 second paragraph discusses the temps desired... i copied and pasted for those who are interested:

Vaporizer technology may improve the bioavailability of limonene and
other compounds, which volatilize around the same temperature as THC (see
Figures 1-3). Vaporizers are smoking apparati that heat cannabis to 185C
(365F), which vaporizes THC but is below the ignition point of combustible
plant material. Vaporized cannabis emits a thin gray vapor, whereas combusted
cannabis produces a thick smoke. Thus, vaporizers deliver a better cannabinoid-
to-tar ratio than cigarettes or water pipes (Gieringer 1996). In a recent
study, traces of THC were vaporized at temperatures as low as 140C (284F)
and the majority of THC vaporized by 185C (365F); benzene and other carcinogenic
vapors did not appear until 200C (392F), and cannabis combustion
occurred around 230C (446F) (Gieringer 2001).

... although the iolite does seem fairly steady in its temp.... i understand its the same thermostat as the volcano... i would like to see it a little bit hotter, just so it would bake it quicker... i dont always have a 30 min to sit and bake.... :/

shotgunwilly,

perspectionist

question - Do any of you guys have an I-inhale (or I-olite) with a stripped heating pin? If so, do you still use it without the pin? I was wondering about efficiency comparisons between units with or without heating pins.

I have been using it without for quit a while now and it seems to work fine, but I'm wondering if it would be noticeably better with a pin. Maybe someone can do an experiment and compare hits with and without the pin.

tHaNx

:peace:

perspectionist,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Quote: "Vaporized cannabis emits a thin gray vapor,..."

That used to be me. Now I get clouds. I really think my unit is hotter now. Not sure this is what I bargained for.

willieR,

willieR

Been here since 2009
perspectionist said:
I was wondering about efficiency comparisons between units with or without heating pins.

I have been using it without for quit a while now and it seems to work fine, but I'm wondering if it would be noticeably better with a pin. Maybe someone can do an experiment and compare hits with and without the pin.

tHaNx

:peace:
I have not used it without the pin, but clearly not having it will significantly reduce the efficiency overall. I imagine you would need to stir if there was no pin.

willieR,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
willieR said:
yes that study [or more accurately..group of studies] has been on forums forever. However if you research a little deeper you will find a lot more studies that also point to higher temps being needed depending on which cannabinoids you wish to release. Case in point, the study you linked to has:

cannabidiol (CBD)
Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

where as a much more controlled measurement has it at 206.3C
http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.2446.html

this could mean that vapes with a fixed temperature like the Iolite and PD/MZ cannot get hot enough to release the majority of CBD's in your medicine if that is one of the compounds you need.

In regards to Benzene, Chemspider lists it as Boiling Point: 78.8 C at 760 mmHg
http://www.chemspider.com/RecordView.aspx?rid=2a57dd4d-0ffe-41f4-aab2-0ceffa91a3f6
so depending on where you read the data from you could be getting Benzene way before even THC vaporizes.

DeepFried,

shotgunwilly

the 206.3 is the flash point, ie. the temp where if a flame is introduced the vapors would "flash" or ignite....perhaps that explains why i was having smoldering starting when it was showing 206 on the temp for too long.... although i somehow doubt the unit i was using (vapormatic) was that accurate....and obviously there was no open flame... still, all very interesting from a chemistry stand point....

shotgunwilly,

vape4health

I have my Iolite strapped to my bong . I'm using the tube mod so I just stuck one of the glass connectors from the E whip in to the stub of tube on the IO to a 8-10 inch piece of tube that goes to the downtube on the bong . It really helps to cool the vapor down so it dont dry your mouth . Looks really funny but works great .

vape4health,

King Kong

i got my iolite today, and compared to my da buddha(that died last week), the taste of the iolite vapor taste completely different to me.. The da buddha has more of a herbal taste, like it tastes what it smells like, but with the iolite it reminds me of the taste of a light bulb vape i made back in the day all those years ago..

King Kong,

Jonah Hex

Thought some others might be interested in this. I weighed my Iolite without the herb chamber on a calibrated scale that reads to the tenth of a gram. It was 81.2 grams. I know it was completely empty of butane because I let it burn dry and then further depressed the fill valve when it cooled down to let out any air that may have been trapped. I then filled it with 3 short bursts of approx. 3 seconds each from a Vector butane can. Then a final burst to make sure it was completely full. (some butane spilled) I had shaken the can for approx. 1 minute to warm the butane so it would flow easier into the Iolite. I then weighed the Iolite again and it was 84.1 grams. So, it was 2.9 grams heavier. Seems that the Iolite fuel tank holds 3 grams of butane. :peace:

edit: I see from the Iolite website that they list it as having a 3.6ml tank.
http://www.my-iolite.com/vaporizers_1_3.asp

Jonah Hex,

shotgunwilly

just cleaned up my iolite bowl... the "headspace" area especially...(the bottom of the bowl where the stem screws in at)... it had quite a lot of build up, but with a little iso alcohol, it cleaned up beautiful and boy, i just wanted to reiterate how big of a difference in vapor quality it is with that "head space" area clean... definitely worth the time to do.....:brow:

shotgunwilly,

derk

Im wondering if anyone has received any notification of the new SS stems, have they started sending them out?

derk,
Top Bottom