:| Ok guys so I finally got around to refilling her up... as in about 10 minutes ago... :/ the lack of urge was fueled by the fear of a subsequent disappointment... which would have probably ended up in me having to sell it... HOWEVER :brow: ... lol, this little sob definitely does the trick... and as far as discreteness... Lets just say I'm at one of the Pepperdine satellite campus libraries right now studying for one of my CPA exams tomorrow... and... yea... no one even knows... :cool:

ModernMogul,

indigal

Amongst the corn
I have not been able to squash my paranoia and use it in a highly public place.. yet. The Darth-Vader sound effects I think would give me away.. I would love to use it at the movies, but I can smell it, esp the first heating on a fresh load. So far, I've only used it while wandering a local park, and of course friendly social events..

indigal,
LMAO at darth vader effects... i was reading it slow like why is he saying darth vader... hahahaha.... :lol: that is exactly what it sounds like... btw, i wasn't actually in the library with it on, I stepped right outside of the doors and let it roar...

ModernMogul,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
elevatorman718 said:
I personally was trying to avoid grinding or modifying the unit itself which I believe the macbill mod requires. I know that it probably wouldn't void the warranty because you can purchase the chamber with is cover and mouthpiece separate but this nipple mod is quick , cheap and easy. It also unscrews so it fits into its original pouch.
I'm glad a solution was found! Congratulations! Yes, my mod grinds the mouthpiece chamber.

I'm a mechanical idiot, and this is the best of all possible solutions. Kudos!!

macbill,

shotgunwilly

hey yolky, the mod i found that works well for me was pulling out the retaining rings and screens... clean the "head space" ( the bottom of the bowl where it enters the stem/mouthpiece) then put in one retaining ring and push it all the way down to the bottom of the bowl seating it on the little ridge, then put in your second retaining ring and push it down so its seated against the first retaining ring... (to get two retaining rings, one will be from the bowl and there should be an extra one in the little accessory bag) then i put in a regular pipe screen that was a little larger than the bowl size, so when pushed down into the bowl, just by "molding" it on my pinky first, it formed a little concave bowl.... (make sense?) i pushed it down till it rests on the two retaining pins... i also removed the bottom screen off of the pin side, (the older units came with a screen on the pin side....) this enabled me to pack small bowls on the pin side or larger bowls on the stem side... also without the pain of the herb being smashed up or sucked up blocking the little holes... i found the extra head space created by the two retaining rings made for better vapor...(at least in my opinion...) anyway, its an easy reversible mod that makes it easy to clean and hit... but, give it a try and see if it does anything for ya... i personally prefer that set up... but there are also a couple of other ways people have tried that they like... try reading from about page 35 on i think (?) that is where some folks were talking of different screen/ retaining ring set ups that wont void your warranty.... anyway, hope that works for ya, good luck... also, i just clean my unit with iso alcohol and q tips and it works great, and i cant even begin to emphasize the importance of keeping the bottom of the bowl (again the part where the stem screws in) clean... it will definitely maximize your vapor... at least it has in my case.... anyway, good luck!:)

shotgunwilly,

UrDoinItWrong

indigal said:
I have not been able to squash my paranoia and use it in a highly public place.. yet. The Darth-Vader sound effects I think would give me away.. I would love to use it at the movies, but I can smell it, esp the first heating on a fresh load. So far, I've only used it while wandering a local park, and of course friendly social events..
Have no fear, I use mine EVERYWHERE, and in front of anyone. NOBODY will know what it is, and even if they do smell something for a second, they will have no fucking clue that it's coming from the dude chewing on his phone antennae over there. I frequently use it at my favorite bars, and even on the occasion where people do smell it, they never ever ever figure it out...even people standing right in front of me talking to me.

UrDoinItWrong,

Jive Turkey

I'm thinking we should start a separate thread dedicated to the various Iolite mods that you can do.

It's a bit overwhelming for a new user to sift through 61 pages of content to find good mods. Would anyone be down with making a new thread?

Jive Turkey,

StickyShisha2

well, i finished reading this thread (took me 3 days)

yolky said:
This experiment in my opinion doesn't test the IOLITE in Normal Operating Conditions as there was no inhalation of the Sage (or our favorite spice). It is my belief that when you inhale the product, the chamber's temperature will reduce quicker, activating the thermostat more frequently and therefore using more fuel. It's almost like a comparison of a car manufacturer claiming that their vehicle gets an estimated 40mpg, only to find out that they arrived at that figure by calculating the mpg average when the vehicle is on cruise control, I.E. not normal operating conditions. Yes, the vehicle might be able to get 40mpg, but if you live in downtown L.A. that figure doesn't apply so much.
it may also be true that the new, steel tipped mouth pieces, could shorten the fuel life, acting as a heat sink.

i find that i get closer to 1.5 hour than 2 hours, my custom mouth piece is made from a 6mm zerk fitting.

StickyShisha2,

yolky

StickyShisha said:
well, i finished reading this thread (took me 3 days)

yolky said:
This experiment in my opinion doesn't test the IOLITE in Normal Operating Conditions as there was no inhalation of the Sage (or our favorite spice). It is my belief that when you inhale the product, the chamber's temperature will reduce quicker, activating the thermostat more frequently and therefore using more fuel. It's almost like a comparison of a car manufacturer claiming that their vehicle gets an estimated 40mpg, only to find out that they arrived at that figure by calculating the mpg average when the vehicle is on cruise control, I.E. not normal operating conditions. Yes, the vehicle might be able to get 40mpg, but if you live in downtown L.A. that figure doesn't apply so much.
it may also be true that the new, steel tipped mouth pieces, could shorten the fuel life, acting as a heat sink.

i find that i get closer to 1.5 hour than 2 hours, my custom mouth piece is made from a 6mm zerk fitting.
Hi Sticky,

Just to clarify with you and others... My experiment was ran using the original stock mouth-piece supplied with the IOLITE, not the new design which incorporates the stainless steel threading. That being addressed, I don't believe the stainless steel threading will negatively impact the 'heat efficiency' of the IOLITE.

On another front:

When I initially unscrewed my mouth-piece to clean my IOLITE, the plastic cylindrical mouth-piece cracked. It seems any difficulty IOLITE users were having regarding maintenance issues was stripping of their plastic threads when removing the mouth-piece, however my problem was slightly different. I contacted IOLITE's tech support, provided them with a digital picture of my mouthpiece, and they informed me today that they will be sending me the new and improved mouthpiece by the end of this month.

Oglesby & Butler has CLASS A customer service, and I highly recommend this product to vape connoisseurs on the go!

yolky,

New_World

Cuck Fombustion
i have had my iolite for almost a year.
tons of use on it.
was used daily for the longest time.

maintained it.

I have had no problems/issues with mine what so ever.

Edit:: also I've used the same mouthpiece the WHOLE time.

New_World,

StickyShisha2

yolky said:
Oglesby & Butler has CLASS A customer service, and I highly recommend this product to vape connoisseurs on the go!
Q4T I got prompt response from them back when my original mouthpieces broke. and now, months later, they contact me again that they are sending me the new design. Very Class A! indeed.

StickyShisha2,

vape4health

I would still love to find a mod to make the IO run a bit hotter . I take my ABV from the IO and run it in my E @ 205C and still get a real nice bag ( turkey size oven bag ) and then another thin bag . It would be too cool if O&B added another postion to the 0 and 1 , 2 could be for hi temp . If it never happens I still love the iolite , I'll just keep on revapin in the E .

vape4health,
New_World said:
i have had my iolite for almost a year.
tons of use on it.
was used daily for the longest time.

maintained it.

I have had no problems/issues with mine what so ever.

Edit:: also I've used the same mouthpiece the WHOLE time.
Some of them work and some of them don't... The two nozzles that came with the unit melted right away... however the replacements (not the new aluminum design) that I ordered seem to be holding up just fine... One thing that I did notice was that the replacements have a second skrew section, where as the originals only skrewed into the actual unit... the replacements skrew into the unit, and then the second little nozzle skrews into the first nozzle that was skrewed into the unit (the third nozzle, with the white tip, does not skrew, it just plugs right into the second nozzle)...

To clarify, the ones that melted went together like this: skrew, plug, plug... the replacements that have not melted yet: skrew, skrew*, plug... With that being said, since the section that melted was the section that was skrewed into the unit, my analysis simply concludes that if your nozzle needs to be skrewed twice, ITS PROBABLY NOT GOING TO MELT...

Hope this helps, I really think it just has something to do with the quality of the nozzle you get...

ModernMogul,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Question for you guys. I have been using the Vector Butane and the nozzle doesn't fit well over the iolote pin. Does anyone use those red nozzles that come with the Vector? I tried a couple and all seemed to spray all over. Real mess.

Anyone able to fill these neatly? It worked better with the Ronson nozzle. Side note, this DOES burn better with Vector. Heats up faster

willieR,

shotgunwilly

yes willieR, i use one of the red nozzles... only one will fit i found... out of curiosity ModernMogul, on the new stems that havent melted...is it smooth at the top of the threads where it turns to regular shaft or do you have like lugs (if you look from the bottom of the threads up thru the stem, do you see like the tips of a + sign where the threads meet the shoulder of the stem?) if you look at the original melted ones, they should have them or is the new ones smooth around the top shoulder of the threads? the stem that hasnt melted on me doesnt have any "lugs" at the shoulder, it is smooth.... whereas the ones that melted did.... just curious, i believe the smooth ones were the original stems that a few people got that worked... i ordered new stems from ebay and got those, and they also had the additional threads.... anyway, just curious....

shotgunwilly,

stealth1

I've had the Iolite for about 2 weeks now...:2c:

The unit itself is great. Other than the mouthpiece issue, which broke on me 3x, it's a fantastic product. I bought it from a reputable online deaer and they sent me replacement mouthpieces right away 2x and Iolite is bringing out the metal tipped ones.
There is definetely a small learning curve on how to use it efficiently for those who never used a vaporizer like me. Dryer and finer is the way to get it vaporizing. I also took off the bottom screen and used high quality Vector butane. The mouthpieces that came with my black Iolite with the removeable pin/screen and had the regular "+" mouthpieces, where the theads meet the base that just broke and melted off with 5-15 minutes of use. The replacement ones that they sent me has the wider "+" as mentioned before and are stronger. First one broke after after first use but the 2nd one that was in the package is lasting me for over a week after very careful use.

Excellent product but if the mouthpiece wasn't an issue and if the butane going off every 25 seconds were more quiet, I would give it a 10. A fuel guage would be nice as mentioned but I got used to knowing when it would run out of butane. After 4 sessions, I release the nozzle to empty out the air and fill it up waiting 5-10 minutes for the temp to go back to normal. Thanks for those who helped along the way, I can think of vape4health and shotgunwilly.

stealth1,

izeus

Greetings,

I've had my iolite for about 1 month. I've gone through 4 or 5 different mouth pieces. Good to see they're bringing out a new design.

This morning, my iolite seems to have stopped working :( Instead of the normal Darth-Vader sounding hiss of the butane, I only hear a clicking or ticking comming from the unit. I've tried venting the unit of all the butane, refilling, waiting 5-10 min.

I hate the idea of being without my vaporizer. What can I do ? I purchased the unit new in box over ebay and I still have the ebay receipt.

TIA

izeus

izeus,

StickyShisha2

izeus said:
This morning, my iolite seems to have stopped working :( Instead of the normal Darth-Vader sounding hiss of the butane, I only hear a clicking or ticking comming from the unit. I've tried venting the unit of all the butane, refilling, waiting 5-10 min.
my advise is to vent it again, refill again, then let it warm up (heat up) on your car's defroster, before starting it.

when its cold or moist out, i find that the defroster trick works for me.

StickyShisha2,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
my iolite does this from time too time, I agree with the above post.
Sometimes I just turn it on and leave it close by and wait until it starts hissing (sometimes this can take up too five minutes). Using an external supply of Warm air on the unit, Car Defroster or Hair Dryer, helps getting hissing again. now that fall is setting in and winter on its way, my iolite takes a bit longer too get going.

DevoTheStrange,

izeus

Thanks for the quick response. I tried what you suggested. Now my iolite is completely silent when I turn it on. No hiss, no tick, no anything :((

izeus,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
izeus said:
Thanks for the quick response. I tried what you suggested. Now my iolite is completely silent when I turn it on. No hiss, no tick, no anything :((
turn it on and leave it sit for ten minutes, wait and see if hiss starts on its own in that time. dont have too worry about wasting fuel if there is no hiss. Click the piezo once the hiss starts (hoping your unit does the same thing that mine does) and you should be ready too go.

mine only does this if I leave it somewhere cold, such as in my car overnight or similar.

DevoTheStrange,

StickyShisha2

izeus said:
if nobody has any other ideas, you may have to go through tech support. My above post has always worked for me.

izeus said:
I hate the idea of being without my vaporizer. What can I do ? I purchased the unit new in box over ebay and I still have the ebay receipt.
same here

StickyShisha2,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Okay... maybe it's just my OCD but I can't imagine having only one vape... Hell I bought 2 IO's so I'd have one if I had to send one in for repair cuz once I tried it I was taken aback by the portable thing. It is also the best damn thing I've found for driving without fiddling with things. I now take 2 fully loaded if trip is longer than 1 bowl ;)

I am quitting smoking with the e-cig thing and it's the same way... Gotta have backups! I made 90 days last Saturday but would have caved if I wasn't prepared with backup crap!!

I LOVE my Iolites and everyone that tries it loves it. My sister who doesn't even partake regularly loves it so much she thought about buying one. I thought about getting her ass one for X-Mas too but I figured I'd wait to see how it held up and how the mouthpiece thing worked out.

I will say that the customer service has been awesome both with the dealers who sell them as well as the manufacturer. I do hope that the units prove to be reliable as I currently hesitate to suggest someone purchase one without a little warning about repair worries.

I have had sporadic issues with them but after trying suggestions read here I have always got it running :)

Lo,
Top Bottom