captainhits

Retailer
captainhits said:
So your sure the new model does not eliminate the bottom screen or make the heating pin unremoveable?
The_Algebraist said:
That's correct.
max said:
The beta model has no bottom screen... and it's a plus not having to remove/replace it and the heating pin. Getting that pin screwed back in without stripping threads can be a potential problem. These are minor but useful changes...
:o

captainhits,

NoSmoke

captainhits said:
So your sure the new model does not eliminate the bottom screen or make the heating pin unremoveable?
correct me if im wrong but i cant really see the Iolite working without the bottom screen, because alot of material falls down onto the bottom screen and without it it would be worse in my imagination. Or am I just loading it wrong?? either way I love this thing, I just wish it had a light to tell you its on when its not heating up.

edit- Also mine doesnt seem to roar when im starting her up making it hard to judge if i need to hit the button again. Could that be the butane im using? Im using Roson. Its really hard to find butane I went to Walmart and they dont even carry it. All i could find was Roson at Menards.

NoSmoke,

captainhits

Retailer
NoSmoke said:
captainhits said:
correct me if im wrong but i cant really see the Iolite working without the bottom screen, because alot of material falls down onto the bottom screen and without it it would be worse in my imagination. Or am I just loading it wrong??
..I actually heard this from Max...

captainhits,

max

Out to lunch
correct me if im wrong but i cant really see the Iolite working without the bottom screen
OK, you're corrected. :lol: The beta model has no bottom screen and there's no compromise in performance. If it didn't work well without it, they never would have sent 'em out for testing by the public. In this case they decided the screen wasn't necessary for performance, and it's a plus not having to remove/replace it and the heating pin. Getting that pin screwed back in without stripping threads can be a potential problem. These are minor but useful changes, for both the company and users. They may also modify the design of the moisture condenser before making any changes to production units- another minor but easy to make change. I haven't used the condenser since the first week I had my unit, so it's not really a big deal, just fine tuning. Any major changes, like a fuel window (much more difficult to do in a product like this than most people think) will show up in a different model. The company has apprarently had plans from the start to eventually offer more than one model.

max,

firstavailable

OK, so I finally got my vape on Thursday the 16th. I went with the iolite/i-inhale. The one I got still says i-inhale on it. I paid $250+tax for it at a local shop. I know I got overcharged a bit, but whatever. I really didn?t want to do the whole online thing.

At first, I was concerned about buying this, since there are some beta units being tested, and people are saying that they are somewhat better than the current unit on the market. I was not sure, at first, if I should go ahead and take the plunge now, or if I should wait. Luckily, I decided to buy now. Overall, the iolite seems like a very good product.

The shape and design is very favorable to portability. When in my front pocket (without case) it can not be seen at all. With the case, all accessories, and a small stash, there is only a slight bulge. Still very stealth.

The temperature seems to be set well. I had no burning of the plant material, and it seemed to vaporize all of the actives. After vapeing, the remaining plant material seemed a nice brown color, and had significantly reduced in volume. At no time was the iolite too hot to handle. It did get a bit warm, but that?s no biggie.

I also noticed a few really nice features that no one seems to have mentioned. The rubbery nametag sticker is really a nice touch. I don?t know if it was intentional or not, but it really seems to keep the iolite from sliding around once you place it down onto a table or surface. This is a really nice feature for portability, since you won?t always have a nice flat stable surface to ?work? on and it keeps it from falling on the ground if the surface it is on gets bumped. The other thing I noticed is that the stainless ?cup? tends to spin in the plastic holder once the breathing straw has been screwed in. This is nice because it keeps you from over-torqueing and damaging the plastic breathing straw.

Heat-up time was very good as well. Less than 1-2 minutes. My friend made a very interesting observation when I told him it would take about 2 minutes to heat up. He said, ?2 minutes, that?s not bad. It takes longer than that to roll a joint?.

The cool-down time, on the other hand, is a serious issue. I found that it takes a good 5-10 minutes for my unit to cool down to a point that I feel safe putting it into the pouch or my pocket. I think that this is a major drawback, especially for a portable, that should be addressed in the next version. Often times, when using something of this nature outside of the comfort of your home, it is necessary to quickly pocket it. I understand that it is a significant technical challenge to cool something like this off, especially when no fans can be used, however, I think this is the biggest drawback to this product and should be a priority when developing new versions in the future. In fact, I would even be willing to tradeoff a longer startup time for a shorter cool-down period (although I don?t now how feasible that would be).

The other issue that I had was with refilling the butane. I feel that not having a fuel window is a serious oversight and design flaw. Spilling flammable liquid that is not very good for your skin all over you hand is not a good way to tell when the tank is full. That?s like saying, ?Just keep filling up your car until you start seeing gasoline dripping down your fender.? From what I have read in earlier posts from the iolite rep, the decision to go without a fuel window was merely an aesthetic one. I feel this was a mistake. A fuel window could have been incorporated into the design without sacrificing the overall aesthetic or the nice rubbery nametag. This is an easy problem to fix, and one that would greatly add to the overall quality of the design if it was solved. I seriously hope this is rectified in future versions. The other issue I had with refilling is that after a couple refills, the butane would no longer go in. This seems to be because of built up air in the chamber. I was able to use the heating-pin-removal-tool to depress the gas-fill-pin and let out the access pressure. Once I did that, it was not a major problem to refill (aside from having to spill butane on my hand).

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and have no buyer?s remorse. I would recommend this vape to anyone who is looking for something that will be ideal for portability and still functional at home.

Pros:
-----------------------------
+ highly portable
+ good temperature setting
+ not too hot to handle
+ stealthy
+ no-slip rubber name tag
+ stainless steel bowl spins to reduce chance of over-torqueing the breathing straw
+ short heat-up time

Cons:
--------------------------------
- long cool-down time
- no fuel window

firstavailable,

max

Out to lunch
the decision to go without a fuel window was merely an aesthetic one.
I don't remember that, but here's some recent info that sheds some light on the fuel window issue. Most butane devices that have windows-lighters, blow torches, soldering irons-use polycarbonate for the see through, which over time gets eroded by the fuel, so no guarantee from the plastic manufacturer for this use. The unit's tank uses a wick and tea bag (don't ask me) for upside down use and to filter any impurities from poor fuel. Makes it hard to see the fuel. They have to "employ some tricks" in order to get light into the tank so you can see the fuel level.

All this adds up, $ wise, so you won't see a fuel window, not on this model anyway. They'd have to change the housing too. OTOH, I think the likely changes to the current model can mostly be achieved by removing the bottom screen and getting the new moisture condensers. Might also require a new mouthpiece for the condensers. I don't if any other changes are being considered, but there's not much else they can do without a major redesign.

max,

mark069

firstavailable said:
Cons:
--------------------------------
- long cool-down time
- no fuel window
Both of these are true I suppose but after using mine for two months I have found neither of these flaws to be a significant issue.

The cool down time doesn't bother me becuase by the time I shut it off for cool down, I am heavily stoned and will not need to refill the device until well after it is cooled down.

The fuel window is also not a big deal because this thing will run continuously for 2 hours if you allow it. I actually find that I only have to refuel after two sessions but I usually make a habit to "top it off" before each use just in case.

Oh, I contacted I-inhale about cleaning the unit asking them if it was OK to use water. They recommended the use of alcohol for cleaning...

mark069,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I also don't have a significant cool-down problem. I have let the thing do a complete warm up and cool down in my pants pocket before without any discomfort.

stickstones,

4:20

Hi everybody,
Here is my experience.
Before, I d like to say that I own a volcano, a couple of PD and a Vapman. I started almost 15 years ago with a vaporton ( probably the first model kindda BCconduction cosmonaut helmet... I know, it is so bad...)

So I got that Iolite and first of all, I measured it s temperature to see if it does reach the 190c (375F) claimed. After a couple of minutes, inside of a room, it reaches a poor 130c (266F) . Yes you start to see vapor but at that temperature the vapor is only aromatic with compounds of minimal bioactivity (check Norml and wikipedia). After a long 20-30 minutes the temperature in the herb chamber and around the pin reaches 180C (356F).

1/ mine doesn t reaches the promised temperature of 190c (374F) advertised. ok maybe my unit is faulty...I sent them an email 5 days ago (to the seller also btw), we ll see....

2/ they claim in their advertising and in this forum that the herb chamber is sealed from the catalytic chamber. Ok, owners of the II, please put your finger on and of the glowing spot when vaping a few times and let me know if , like me, you feel a difference. Mine has a leak between the herb chamber and the catalytic chamber where the chemical reaction occurs and heats the metal pin/ herb chamber above.

3a/ So what? Well, a catalytic reaction that includes platina in its atomic form might be a health hazard . search by yourself: google `catalytic health danger platinum`
If platina is used for the catalytic reaction then it may release platina in its atomic form (not solid platina like used in Jewellery which in that form is harmless)
Search thoroughly and discuss this, it s worth learning.

3b/ If any of you has a device to quantify the CO released, try and see...
It does release CO significantly! this is why I m upset about the point 2 (connection between the 2 chambers in my II).

When I inhale and it starts heating again, I can feel a difference in the flow. When I block the front of the glowing spot, I do feel a difference too...
enough said,this post is already too long. If you ask, I can tell you the result of my tests (CO).

4:20,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
4:20:

Welcome to the forum!

1 -- How did you go about measuring the temperature inside the II? I don't see how you could measure the internal temperature without compromising its ability to reach the desired temperature. I have no doubt that mine is reaching the desired temperature, as I can tell by the effect it has on me.

2 -- The unit is designed to hiss while heating up. I made a comment to the manufacturer about this. I thought it was discharging something instead, but he clarified otherwise. Part of his response was 'The noise is not from the discharge but from accelerated gas going through the gas jet/venturi.'

3a -- I did some research on the company and they have a long history of designing and manufacturing hand held butane devices. I, personally, trust their expertise in this area. I know nothing about you or your understanding of catalytic converters, so forgive me if I trust their design more than your testing of it at this point. Feel free to convince me!

It is possible that you have a defective unit and if that is so, I wish you well in getting it resolved. They don't yet seem to be devoted to servicing their vaporizer products very well at this point.

stickstones,

Hi Stickstones,

Thanks !
1/ Have tested the temperature with a `K` type termocouple , which is a thin wire that can be inserted inside of the Chamber and thin enough to allow to close the chamber normally. the K type of thermocouple can also be inserted by the inhaling tube. (just need to remove the upper screen and you can put it in).
I did the same experience with my volcano and the temperature measured with my thermometer is exactly what I read on my volcano, so this is why I belive my test is quite accurate As I said,it s maybe an isolated problem with my unit only.

2/ the hiss is normal, I agree with you and the reply you got from the manufacturer about that.
What I m talking about is that in my unit, when I inhale and place the finger on the glowing chamber (just below the herb chamber) I do feel a difference in the flow of the air/vapor I m inhaling. That shouldn t happen at all if there is no connection between the two chamber. Also it is easier to draw when it starts glowing again, feels like a turbo when it glows. Anyone who owe one, please try so that we can see if it s an isolated problem or if more than one person feels the same.

3a/ about the catalytic reaction and the `possible` health hazard, well, we can compare the problem to the mobile phones microwaves...people say: `if it was bad for us, it wouldn t be on the market, would it? `
It s better not to discuss this point here, I agree, it is very complex and even after weeks of discussion, the answer will be maybe, maybe not... this is why I advised users to search by themselves and build up their personal opinion about it.

3b/ The CO released, well, I m going to release the video of my test, you will see...if more people can test this point, that would help us have several results.
catalytic reactions don t always burn completely the Butane, I am not talking about a torch lighter but about butane catalytic reaction for instance the technology of the Iolite.
Their company builds butane tools since decades, absolutely. I bought their portasol glue gun G150 which uses the same technology, I did test it for temperature, and it is extremely precise, really, their patented thermostat works perfectly.
After the test for temperature, on their catalytic glue gun G150, I did test the CO and :o OH MY GOD! it releases so much CO that my CO measuring device went to it s top capacity, over 500ppm. I am talking about their glue gun here, so when a company releases such a toxic device (the glue gun again) that is supposed to be used at 30, 40cm from your nose I openly doubt about their care for health. They did their best and highly reduced the CO emitted in the vaporizer, but still, I m very upset that the chambers are somehow connected (at least in mine) . What if over time yours too, has a leak, you d slowly breath CO thinking it hits so well...

If I want to breathe CO, I would smoke instead of spending $250 on something I bought to improve my health. I can publish the videos of my tests if you wish.

I am a user who cares about his health and I just wish, that the Iolate is as great as you think it is, so that I can just enjoy it safely. Sincerely, I didn t expect discovering what i just wrote above. I am sharing this with you guys because you seems interested by a healthier living without compromising pleasure. Don t `trust` me, experience with tools and see.
:peace:

Yes, and to avoid old discussions about butane lighters let s remind our vaping friends that we are talking about CO resulting of a catalytic reaction. That is very different.

Acolyte of Zinglon said:
i had actually been wondering about the carbon monoxide for quite a while

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
This is fascinating, 4:20. I love seeing empirical info on vapes - wish we had more of this kind of thing around here.

KeepCalm,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
4:20 - If I want to breathe CO, I would smoke instead of spending $250 on something I bought to improve my health. I can publish the videos of my tests if you wish.
Hey 4:20, I think I can understand your frustration (assuming your story is true--it sounds plausible, but we have no way of knowing...ya kno? :shrug: ). AFAIK, many have had issues with various parts of the unit malfunctioning, but Iolite has seemed to take care of all warranty returns/repairs swiftly and fairly. From what you say, I would cease to use the unit and contact Iolite (if you have not already).

As far as what you mentioned about the temperature not reaching 190C...I can tell you that many report an increase in temperature over the course of warm-up and temperature high enough to significantly brown the herbs. IMO, any higher temp would risk unwelcomed signs of combustion (and I would personally prefer a slightly lower temperature if any change).

Anyhow, I hope that your issues are all resolved quickly and that you are enjoying portable vapor soon :/ .

Please keep us posted (and, as always, toke it easy! :cool:).

edit: Do you know how convection affects the vaporization process and the temperatures needed for vaporization to occur? (thank you for your efforts to collect empirical data :) ).

Progress,

smokeandskate

so today i picked up some tubing today, well stole it actually cause i didnt want to pay for 20 inches of it (which it was sold in) so i walked around and found some gardening sissors so i just cut off the length i needed and stuck it in my pocket and put the tubing back.

and also anyone with this vape i highly recommend you get a hose it makes it sooo much nicer, your hits feel like cold air and its just all in all more enjoyable

smokeandskate,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
420 - thanks for that response! I would like to have one of those k thermometers.

I have never noticed a turbo effect with unit. I will check what happens when I cover the hole next time I use it...probably a couple days from now. I think you have a defective unit just from your temp. I don't know what temp I'm getting but I know I am getting vapor and it's effect.

stickstones,

Thanks stickstones, that will be helpful.
If others can test their unit too, that would be great.
I m sorry to post something negative here, but i tested again for CO (carbon monoxide) and it is again positive. Very high actually.
Why am I so concerned by this? Let me ask the FC members a question here:
What chemicals are we willing to avoid completely by vaporizing instead of burning? I n my case it is to completely cut the CO which is the most harmful chemical resulting of the combustion process. So if i inhale CO through a vaporizer...the whole purpose of the vaporizer failed.
To me a vaporizer should not release other chemicals than the product we intend to vaporize and second: it should lower the harmful chemicals compared to the combustion process.
From my early tests, I notice that the Iolate heating process bring an external factor of pollution due to its uncomplete catalytic reaction and create CO. Please test, measure and let s find out if this is true.

Progress

Hello, 4:20. I am curious about others doing carbon monoxide tests too (in an effort to determine if this is an issue for all units or just those malfunctioning like you described yours to be). I agree that your issues with inhaling CO are valid, but not sure if your concerns apply to a properly functioning unit.

Also, have you contacted Iolite about this problem? I have never heard of problems where the CC path merged with the vapor path (so that covering the glowing piezo affects ones hit) reported before (and it has never before come up on FC AFAIK). I would be very curious about what they would have to say about this if I were you (and am personally curious about how they reply).

Please keep us posted.

edit: could the malfunctioning unit be dangerous to operate (I recall the manual stating to cease running the unit and contact Iolite if it should malfunction in any way).

Progress,

max

Out to lunch
Carbon monoxide, according to the '01 NORML-MAPS study, is reduced with vaporizing but the extent of the decrease wasn't measured.

As for excessive levels of CO with the io, the symptoms of moderate CO ingestion are severe headaches, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea, or fainting. Using two different io's hasn't given me even a mild headache, let alone more serious symptoms, so hopefully 4:20 has a defective unit, rather than all io's having a serious design flaw.

max,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Hi. Long time reader, first time poster. I got my unit about a month ago, and have been reading through this topic ever since. Since reading 4:20's posts I have since tried putting my finger over the hole where the light comes on next too the heat source and I noticed no change in the airflow. I use this thing on a daily basis, have had no problems with it. At least none that I have seen mentioned here. So I am happy with my purchase. However, I am still interested in the posts found here and have found them too be very informational.
I did have one question. I remember reading about the Beta units not having a bottom screen. I was cleaning the iolite the other day and some herb was bouncing around under the bottom screen. I removed the pin as directed in the manuel. I cleaned the unit, but forgot to put the screen back in. I did notice since the screens removal that my unit has actually been giving more vapor than before. The herb comes out a tiny bit darker than before, and is consistent throughout. No signs of combustion, but is noticeably darker, more brown than orange like I used too get out of it. The vapor produced is also thicker. Has anyone else noticed this?

DevoTheStrange,

Progress

Devo.T.S - I cleaned the unit, but forgot to put the screen back in. I did notice since the screens removal that my unit has actually been giving more vapor than before. The herb comes out a tiny bit darker than before, and is consistent throughout. No signs of combustion, but is noticeably darker, more brown than orange like I used too get out of it. The vapor produced is also thicker. Has anyone else noticed this?
I have noticed that too (time left in and hits taken seem to play more of a role in darkening though, IME). I think the screen makes a difference because there is not the empty space for air to flow and there are more hot metal surfaces for the herbs to contact (plus one can fit more herbs in the, now larger, chamber). It even seems that the herbs in the dish under where the screen goes do not get cooked as evenly (probably because they do not get tossed around as much).

Thank you for sharing your experience with us (hope my reply helps).

PS: I, too, have put my finger over the orange glow and did not notice any difference (I reiterate my suggestion to 4:20 about contacting Iolite and being careful about operating a unit that performs like he describes).

Progress,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
The herb would normally turn brown if left in ad I totally forgot about it... but normally after I am done it would still have an orange tinge too it. Now it seems to brown at a much faster rate. The hits have more visible vapor in them. Normally it would take a half hour or so sitting in the unit to get that brown, Long after it no longer gave visible vapor. Now it tends to be brown by the time there is no more visible vapor. I don't pack the bowl any more than I used too.. I just think there is more room for the herb to bounce around and have more airflow possibly? (as long as it is not over packed that is)

but then again I also have a habit of stirring the herb (from using my other vapes) which could also help in a more even vape.

mod note: posts merged. please use the edit button to avoid back to back posts, minutes apart. :)

DevoTheStrange,

You can find in the erowid website the following information: a cigarette containing 1110mg of Tobacco releases 20.2mg of CO when burned (smoked). It doesn t gives the smokers a heavy headache each time they smoke their cigarette, does it?
However, in the long term, the smoke damages his body. Why don t we burn and choose vaporizing? We believe it s healthier, right? So what s the point of inhaling CO in a vaporizer?

I observe a zero tolerance concerning CO, I vaporize under 200c, even under 195c because I m aware of the studies (norml) and want to avoid completely the carbon monoxide.
190 c is a really good temperature, this is why I spent $250 on an iolite. I want a healthy vapor.
Yesterday, I was in the forest and brought my equipment there, the CO released was over 200ppm each time it started to heats up.

Two simple questions to the users here:
1/ how many inches separate the herb chamber from the heating chamber?
2/ when you inhale, how many cm/inches is your nose above that glowing heating chamber?

Answer theses questions for yourself , my personal opinion is that NO carbon monoxide released by a vaporizer should be allowed, especially when it comes from the vaporizer alone, not from what you put inside.
And if a vaporizer running alone (unloaded) does release a chemical substance potentially dangerous for the human body (lead, Carbon monoxide or other) then it is the duty of the company to inform the user on the EXACT amounts of chemicals released by the use of their product. Iolite people say that they conducted some tests at some universities in Ireland, fine, I will ask them how much CO an empty Iolite releases in 20 minutes of `normal use`. If the amount is far below the 20.2mg of CO found in a single cigarette, then we will all know and feel safe.

Now the situation is: I can measure that it releases some CO, but I can t quantify it at home as i am not a lab` .
I don t criticize, I just want to learn and know, so if anyone can help with experience and research, please, let us know.
So far...no news from their customer service.

max said:
Carbon monoxide, according to the '01 NORML-MAPS study, is reduced with vaporizing but the extent of the decrease wasn't measured.

As for excessive levels of CO with the io, the symptoms of moderate CO ingestion are severe headaches, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea, or fainting. Using two different io's hasn't given me even a mild headache, let alone more serious symptoms, so hopefully 4:20 has a defective unit, rather than all io's having a serious design flaw.

mark069

4:20 said:
3a/ So what? Well, a catalytic reaction that includes platina in its atomic form might be a health hazard . search by yourself: google `catalytic health danger platinum`
If platina is used for the catalytic reaction then it may release platina in its atomic form (not solid platina like used in Jewellery which in that form is harmless)
Search thoroughly and discuss this, it s worth learning.

3b/ If any of you has a device to quantify the CO released, try and see...
It does release CO significantly! this is why I m upset about the point 2 (connection between the 2 chambers in my II).
I searched and found out that platinum is relatively harmless - it's melting point is 1,700 C so there is no way that your I-inhale will vaporize any of the solid platinum. The metal toxicity from catalytic converters in cars is from other heavy metals used in those devices.

I doubt the amount of CO released is very high since catalytic reactions are very efficient. Almost all of the oxidation product of the butane is probably carbon dioxide (and water). If a small amount is released during start up that you would probably never inhale that anyway since most folks don't start inhaling until the unit is warmed up.

Why are you looking for a reason to say the I-inhale is dangerous? !

mark069,
Top Bottom